A MAN has died at a popular Southampton fair.

Emergency services were initially called to the B Cole & Sons Family Fairground at the Southampton Common after reports that the man had been electrocuted.

However, following an assessment by medics the man was believed to have suffered a heart attack.

Ambulances were called at 5.04pm on Thursday night to the fair which had opened the Easter Fair on the same day.

South Central Ambulance Service confirmed that paramedics had attended the scene to treat the man who suffered a cardiac arrest and he was taken to Southampton General Hospital.

The fair was open for business as normal yesterday and it is understood that the man who died was a member of the family which runs the fair.

When approached by the Daily Echo, staff said that the family were too distraught to comment but confirmed that someone had died.