AN INVESTIGATION has been launched after a blaze broke out in a Southampton neighbourhood.

Crews tackled the fire near Shirley Park Road, which has destroyed a van and bin store.

Residents told the Daily Echo that they also heard explosions during the incident, which happened behind an Oxfam furniture store.

A Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman confirmed two pumps from Eastleigh and Redbridge fire stations attended the scene following a call at 5.25am.

"The double bin store was 100 per cent damaged by fire," he added.

"The [Iveco van] owned by Oxfam, was 80 per cent destroyed."

The stop message was received at 6.57am.

Neighbour Juliette Michaels said she couldn't believe the damage.

"We only live around the corner," she added.

"I walk past this in store every day and cannot believe it has been this destroyed by fire.

"I am just glad nobody was hurt in the incident."

One neighbour, who did not want to be named, said she didn't hear the fire engines but was shocked by the discovery.

"I was only off to get some milk; I didn't expect to see this" she added.

"I didn't hear anything this morning which makes this discovery even more shocking.

"What a terrible thing to happen. My thoughts are with the charity and I hope they can bounce back from this."