ANGRY residents have blasted civic chiefs after they were stuck in roadwork traffic over the weekend.

Hundreds of drivers were forced to sit in lines of traffic and have criticised Southampton City Council for their 'carelessness' and lack of planning as journeys were delayed for the second weekend running.

It comes as part of the £20million scheme to save two of Hampshire's busiest road bridges from crumbling, with work taking place on the westbound side of the A31.

Transport bosses have said that the work is essential to the Redbridge Causeway.

The work was being carried out from 8pm on Saturday until 5am on Monday, for the second weekend running.

After complaints last week from residents saying cars hadn't followed the diversion, more residents have moaned that the same has happened again, adding that a lack of correct signage was to blame.

Southampton city councillor for Redbridge Andrew Pope said: "Neither council bothered to listen to residents and that is their duty to do.

"They need to consider the disruption."

Illuminated signs said that the work would be finished by 5am on Sunday, when they were due to take place for a further 24 hours.

Frustrated drivers have taken to social media to voice their discontent.

Brian Hems said: "This is not complicated to get right, this is simply carelessness and no proper oversight."

Tracy-Kenny O'Neill said: "There was no signs, notices or diversions in place. They really need to get their act together."

The work will continue in the new year, with the causeway to be closed for another four weekends.

Both Southampton City Council and Hampshire County Council have been contacted for comment.