When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Pictures of the damage caused by the Eastleigh bomb
THESE are the first pictures of the shocking scene after a bomb exploded outside a Hampshire home.
With its windscreen smashed and the front bumper blown off, the photographs show that the Vauxhall Vectra took the full force of the home-made explosive device that was left on the driveway of a home in Chadwick Road, Eastleigh.
Yesterday detectives leading the investigation arrested three other men in connection with the incident. The total number of people arrested is now six.
A man, aged 26, from Eastleigh was released on bail until August, a 34-yearold man from Southampton was released without charge and a 19-yearold man from Eastleigh was last night still being quizzed by police.
Police have also confirmed that this is the second time that the house at the centre of the investigation has been targeted. On January 15 last year the family called in the police after their car suffered fire damage during an overnight arson attack.
Although officers are not yet formally linking this to the explosion in the early hours of Saturday morning, they are investigating the previous incident for any similarities or connections.
Specialist search officers will also spend a third day today trawling through woodland at Stoke Park Wood in Bishopstoke for clues to help piece together what happened.
They have been at the site, just a few miles from the blast site, since Sunday evening, carrying out fingertip searches.
T he resident who took the photographs told the Daily Echo of their shock when they looked outside to see the bomb squad.
They said: “I just could not believe my eyes. It was utter shock and disbelief.
This neighbourhood is as quiet as a mouse.”
Detectives are still appealing for witnesses to come forward and want to reassure residents that they are not treating the explosion as a terrorist attack.
Detective Chief Inspector Dick Pearson said: “We believe some sort of home-made explosive device was placed on the driveway which caused extensive damage to three vehicles.
However, I should reiterate we are not treating this as a terrorist incident or any form of domestic extremism.”
A 56-year-old man and a 58-year-old woman, both from Eastleigh, were released on bail until June.
■ Last night detectives charged Robert White, 18, of Truro Rise, Eastleigh, with causing an explosion likely to endanger life. He is due to appear at Southampton Magistrates’ Court today.