Blue Badge parking charges go-ahead

Daily Echo: Blue Badge parking charges go-ahead Blue Badge parking charges go-ahead

COUNCIL chiefs pleaded poverty as they rubberstamped plans to charge disabled drivers to visit country parks.

Ruling Tories on Hampshire County Council said making Blue Badge holders pay to park at sites across Hampshire that used to be free were necessary to balance the budget.

The plans – which could raise £50,000 per year – were branded “cruel and heartless” by opposition Lib Dems on the county authority.

They have also come under fire from disabilities groups.

Cabinet member for culture and recreation, Councillor Margaret Snaith-Tempia, who is paid allowances of £29,000 a year, passed the decision yesterday.

She had heard senior officers warn that the county’s library service is overspending by £200,000 and the Milestones Museum in Basingstoke is £50,000 over budget.

To claw back some cash, the council is proposing to charge for blue badge spaces at country parks from February 2011 onwards, as revealed in yesterday’s Daily Echo, below.

Head of countryside, Andy Smith, said the authority had taken steps to make their sites more accessible for d i s a b l e d users.

He said they would consult with park visitors before deciding what the exact charges should be.

For example, where drivers currently pay a fixed all-day fee, there could be cheaper short-term tickets offered, he said.

Cllr Snaith-Tempia said: “I know there will be people who are cross about it but I think we have explained to everyone that this position is something we have to address.”

She added that a consultation should throw up any difficulties that may arise but the decision could not be delayed.

“We’re not in a position financially to be held up. We need to move on with this,” she said.

The parks involved are Manor Farm Country Park in Bursledon, Royal Victoria Country Park at Netley, Lepe Country Park in the New Forest and Queen Elizabeth Country Park near Waterlooville.

Comments (38)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:49am Fri 10 Sep 10

Ted Rogers says...

Nobody should be charged to park at any of the venues mentioned above.

This is another attack on a vulnerable demographic.

If certain areas of the council are overspending address the problem specifically. This move is born out of lack of thought and greed - disgusting.
Nobody should be charged to park at any of the venues mentioned above. This is another attack on a vulnerable demographic. If certain areas of the council are overspending address the problem specifically. This move is born out of lack of thought and greed - disgusting. Ted Rogers
  • Score: 0

11:57am Fri 10 Sep 10

wizard says...

About time!!
About time!! wizard
  • Score: 0

11:58am Fri 10 Sep 10

Saint-Scooby says...

Equality rules..
Equality rules.. Saint-Scooby
  • Score: 0

12:24pm Fri 10 Sep 10

hulla baloo says...

Saint-Scooby wrote:
Equality rules..
You want equality?
Try living in a wheel chair.
[quote][p][bold]Saint-Scooby[/bold] wrote: Equality rules..[/p][/quote]You want equality? Try living in a wheel chair. hulla baloo
  • Score: 0

12:32pm Fri 10 Sep 10

jessica_rabbit says...

are you suggesting that disabled people are not equal?!

of course they are. Only fair that everyone is treated the same..
are you suggesting that disabled people are not equal?! of course they are. Only fair that everyone is treated the same.. jessica_rabbit
  • Score: 0

12:35pm Fri 10 Sep 10

freemantlegirl2 says...

hulla baloo wrote:
Saint-Scooby wrote:
Equality rules..
You want equality?
Try living in a wheel chair.
or complex learning difficulties!! It will just encourage people with disabilities either to visit attractions where they don't have to pay to park. Try consulting with groups representing adults and young people with disabilities too!! I think you'll find that they will be MORE than cross!

As I said yesterday, let's do away with free TV licences for the blind, over 75s, free bus passes for pensioners and any concessions for vulnerable people - here comes the Tory don't care society again.......

Believe me Hants CC you won't know what hit you when you 'consult'. Have you thought about the cost of changing signeage on machines? and the cost overall in admin to bring this miserly, penny pinching, Dickensian rule in....

Watch this space....
[quote][p][bold]hulla baloo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Saint-Scooby[/bold] wrote: Equality rules..[/p][/quote]You want equality? Try living in a wheel chair.[/p][/quote]or complex learning difficulties!! It will just encourage people with disabilities either to visit attractions where they don't have to pay to park. Try consulting with groups representing adults and young people with disabilities too!! I think you'll find that they will be MORE than cross! As I said yesterday, let's do away with free TV licences for the blind, over 75s, free bus passes for pensioners and any concessions for vulnerable people - here comes the Tory don't care society again....... Believe me Hants CC you won't know what hit you when you 'consult'. Have you thought about the cost of changing signeage on machines? and the cost overall in admin to bring this miserly, penny pinching, Dickensian rule in.... Watch this space.... freemantlegirl2
  • Score: 0

12:35pm Fri 10 Sep 10

Shoong says...

Got a car? Pay the fee.
Got a car? Pay the fee. Shoong
  • Score: 0

12:36pm Fri 10 Sep 10

MrGMan says...

If people want to be treated equal then everyone should be treated equally? So they should pay?
If people want to be treated equal then everyone should be treated equally? So they should pay? MrGMan
  • Score: 0

12:43pm Fri 10 Sep 10

Linesman says...

I am reminded of the song which said, 'Walk a mile in my shoes!'

I wonder how many of these Council Chiefs, who took this decision, are disabled.

While the free parking would mean a lot to the disabled, the amount that will be gained by charging them will be just a drop in the ocean.

We are supposed to live in a caring society, but these Council Chiefs appear to have opted out, preferring to take the Sick Society route.
I am reminded of the song which said, 'Walk a mile in my shoes!' I wonder how many of these Council Chiefs, who took this decision, are disabled. While the free parking would mean a lot to the disabled, the amount that will be gained by charging them will be just a drop in the ocean. We are supposed to live in a caring society, but these Council Chiefs appear to have opted out, preferring to take the Sick Society route. Linesman
  • Score: 0

12:48pm Fri 10 Sep 10

freemantlegirl2 says...

MrGMan wrote:
If people want to be treated equal then everyone should be treated equally? So they should pay?
So you think that people with disabilities and learning disabilities are treated equally anyway do you?
God almightly the ignorance of people on these forums never fails to amaze me! How often do you use these attractions Mr G Man? that are 'very disabled' friendly (unlike a lot of them) Victoria Country Park for example has a wheelchair useable playground only accessible with a RADAR key. It's one of a tiny minority in the country!. We have to travel right across the city to use disabled friendly facilities whereas other people can visit without a second thought to one which is local to them and have a CHOICE. It costs more in petrol, more time is spent parking getting disabled people/young people in and out of transport, much longer than people who have no disability. Often having to load up equipment. Have you ever tried setting ramps out, setting up a wheelchair or disabled buggy? getting equipment in and out of cars? We go to these places because they are suitable and cost friendly. Many disabled people are not rolling in money and nor are their carers, so they often rely on concessions. Parks also rely on their patronage as they've invested in the facilities for them. I'm not saying we won't visit these places any more we will just go less often because we are on low incomes. As for having a car, many disabled people/young people especially are unable to use public transport so HAVE to travel by car/mini-bus etc. Many local organisations like Rose Road, Naomi House, Southampton Sight, local special schools take busloads of young people to these places and are charities who will now be charged for frequent weekly trips to do things that these young people enjoy.
[quote][p][bold]MrGMan[/bold] wrote: If people want to be treated equal then everyone should be treated equally? So they should pay?[/p][/quote]So you think that people with disabilities and learning disabilities are treated equally anyway do you? God almightly the ignorance of people on these forums never fails to amaze me! How often do you use these attractions Mr G Man? that are 'very disabled' friendly (unlike a lot of them) Victoria Country Park for example has a wheelchair useable playground only accessible with a RADAR key. It's one of a tiny minority in the country!. We have to travel right across the city to use disabled friendly facilities whereas other people can visit without a second thought to one which is local to them and have a CHOICE. It costs more in petrol, more time is spent parking getting disabled people/young people in and out of transport, much longer than people who have no disability. Often having to load up equipment. Have you ever tried setting ramps out, setting up a wheelchair or disabled buggy? getting equipment in and out of cars? We go to these places because they are suitable and cost friendly. Many disabled people are not rolling in money and nor are their carers, so they often rely on concessions. Parks also rely on their patronage as they've invested in the facilities for them. I'm not saying we won't visit these places any more we will just go less often because we are on low incomes. As for having a car, many disabled people/young people especially are unable to use public transport so HAVE to travel by car/mini-bus etc. Many local organisations like Rose Road, Naomi House, Southampton Sight, local special schools take busloads of young people to these places and are charities who will now be charged for frequent weekly trips to do things that these young people enjoy. freemantlegirl2
  • Score: 0

12:53pm Fri 10 Sep 10

EP says...

I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me??
It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time
I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me?? It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time EP
  • Score: 0

12:58pm Fri 10 Sep 10

EP says...

"Many disabled people are not rolling in money" says freemantlegirl2

and the rest of us 'non disabled' people are ?????
"Many disabled people are not rolling in money" says freemantlegirl2 and the rest of us 'non disabled' people are ????? EP
  • Score: 0

1:02pm Fri 10 Sep 10

freemantlegirl2 says...

EP wrote:
I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me??
It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time
How is the Blue Badge scheme unfair on you then?? please explain I'd love to know?

Do YOU need to park near to an attraction?

Are YOU surviving on a Carer's Allowance of £53 a week caring for two disabled young people with severe and complex needs and you have to pay extortionate parking charges for frequent hospital visits anyway?

Are you not able to go to places because, for example, they haven't disabled friendly facilties?

Do you have to plan any journey to be cost effective and like a military operation?

Do you imagine the revenue from disabled people is going to change the debts of hants CC ? these venues will 'loose' revenue therefore cancelling out any 'gain' after they've forked out to change machines and signeage of course.
[quote][p][bold]EP[/bold] wrote: I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me?? It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time[/p][/quote]How is the Blue Badge scheme unfair on you then?? please explain I'd love to know? Do YOU need to park near to an attraction? Are YOU surviving on a Carer's Allowance of £53 a week caring for two disabled young people with severe and complex needs and you have to pay extortionate parking charges for frequent hospital visits anyway? Are you not able to go to places because, for example, they haven't disabled friendly facilties? Do you have to plan any journey to be cost effective and like a military operation? Do you imagine the revenue from disabled people is going to change the debts of hants CC ? these venues will 'loose' revenue therefore cancelling out any 'gain' after they've forked out to change machines and signeage of course. freemantlegirl2
  • Score: 0

1:06pm Fri 10 Sep 10

freemantlegirl2 says...

EP wrote:
"Many disabled people are not rolling in money" says freemantlegirl2

and the rest of us 'non disabled' people are ?????
but you can bet you didn't have to give up a very hard worked for career to care and then live on £53 a week did you? that could happen to anyone!your wife/husband could be struck down with a disabling illness tomorrow and you end up having to care for them. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with unemployed people and carers getting concessions but sadly there's no national scheme of proving eligibility. I wasn't implying that other people are rolling in money but rather answering the argument that disabled people get 'everything' for free and that makes them better off. It doesn't. Being disabled is VERY expensive in all sorts of ways you can't even begin to imagine.
[quote][p][bold]EP[/bold] wrote: "Many disabled people are not rolling in money" says freemantlegirl2 and the rest of us 'non disabled' people are ?????[/p][/quote]but you can bet you didn't have to give up a very hard worked for career to care and then live on £53 a week did you? that could happen to anyone!your wife/husband could be struck down with a disabling illness tomorrow and you end up having to care for them. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with unemployed people and carers getting concessions but sadly there's no national scheme of proving eligibility. I wasn't implying that other people are rolling in money but rather answering the argument that disabled people get 'everything' for free and that makes them better off. It doesn't. Being disabled is VERY expensive in all sorts of ways you can't even begin to imagine. freemantlegirl2
  • Score: 0

1:11pm Fri 10 Sep 10

Ted Rogers says...

freemantlegirl2 wrote:
EP wrote: I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me?? It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time
How is the Blue Badge scheme unfair on you then?? please explain I'd love to know? Do YOU need to park near to an attraction? Are YOU surviving on a Carer's Allowance of £53 a week caring for two disabled young people with severe and complex needs and you have to pay extortionate parking charges for frequent hospital visits anyway? Are you not able to go to places because, for example, they haven't disabled friendly facilties? Do you have to plan any journey to be cost effective and like a military operation? Do you imagine the revenue from disabled people is going to change the debts of hants CC ? these venues will 'loose' revenue therefore cancelling out any 'gain' after they've forked out to change machines and signeage of course.
FMG - There is no point in wasting your energy on these 'Me, me, me' cretins.

They are major contributors to our increasingly selfish, uncaring and greedy society.

No amount of reasoning or first hand experience of true hardship, will register with these 'Lucky' morons.
[quote][p][bold]freemantlegirl2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]EP[/bold] wrote: I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me?? It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time[/p][/quote]How is the Blue Badge scheme unfair on you then?? please explain I'd love to know? Do YOU need to park near to an attraction? Are YOU surviving on a Carer's Allowance of £53 a week caring for two disabled young people with severe and complex needs and you have to pay extortionate parking charges for frequent hospital visits anyway? Are you not able to go to places because, for example, they haven't disabled friendly facilties? Do you have to plan any journey to be cost effective and like a military operation? Do you imagine the revenue from disabled people is going to change the debts of hants CC ? these venues will 'loose' revenue therefore cancelling out any 'gain' after they've forked out to change machines and signeage of course.[/p][/quote]FMG - There is no point in wasting your energy on these 'Me, me, me' cretins. They are major contributors to our increasingly selfish, uncaring and greedy society. No amount of reasoning or first hand experience of true hardship, will register with these 'Lucky' morons. Ted Rogers
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Fri 10 Sep 10

freemantlegirl2 says...

Ted Rogers wrote:
freemantlegirl2 wrote:
EP wrote: I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me?? It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time
How is the Blue Badge scheme unfair on you then?? please explain I'd love to know? Do YOU need to park near to an attraction? Are YOU surviving on a Carer's Allowance of £53 a week caring for two disabled young people with severe and complex needs and you have to pay extortionate parking charges for frequent hospital visits anyway? Are you not able to go to places because, for example, they haven't disabled friendly facilties? Do you have to plan any journey to be cost effective and like a military operation? Do you imagine the revenue from disabled people is going to change the debts of hants CC ? these venues will 'loose' revenue therefore cancelling out any 'gain' after they've forked out to change machines and signeage of course.
FMG - There is no point in wasting your energy on these 'Me, me, me' cretins.

They are major contributors to our increasingly selfish, uncaring and greedy society.

No amount of reasoning or first hand experience of true hardship, will register with these 'Lucky' morons.
Yes you are right Ted but I am forever amazed when these people come out of the woodwork, they really don't have any idea what it's like to live with disability on a day to day basis.

However, we parent carers and carers and disabled people intend to fight this with a vengence because I personally think it will be the thin end of the wedge. It may have been a tongue in cheek comment about let's get rid of concessions for blind people and TV and pensioners bus passes but you can bet it will rear it's ugly head sooner or later along with a lot more things.

Linesman, meant to say also well said - if someone walked in our shoes they may well have quite a wake up call....
[quote][p][bold]Ted Rogers[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freemantlegirl2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]EP[/bold] wrote: I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me?? It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time[/p][/quote]How is the Blue Badge scheme unfair on you then?? please explain I'd love to know? Do YOU need to park near to an attraction? Are YOU surviving on a Carer's Allowance of £53 a week caring for two disabled young people with severe and complex needs and you have to pay extortionate parking charges for frequent hospital visits anyway? Are you not able to go to places because, for example, they haven't disabled friendly facilties? Do you have to plan any journey to be cost effective and like a military operation? Do you imagine the revenue from disabled people is going to change the debts of hants CC ? these venues will 'loose' revenue therefore cancelling out any 'gain' after they've forked out to change machines and signeage of course.[/p][/quote]FMG - There is no point in wasting your energy on these 'Me, me, me' cretins. They are major contributors to our increasingly selfish, uncaring and greedy society. No amount of reasoning or first hand experience of true hardship, will register with these 'Lucky' morons.[/p][/quote]Yes you are right Ted but I am forever amazed when these people come out of the woodwork, they really don't have any idea what it's like to live with disability on a day to day basis. However, we parent carers and carers and disabled people intend to fight this with a vengence because I personally think it will be the thin end of the wedge. It may have been a tongue in cheek comment about let's get rid of concessions for blind people and TV and pensioners bus passes but you can bet it will rear it's ugly head sooner or later along with a lot more things. Linesman, meant to say also well said - if someone walked in our shoes they may well have quite a wake up call.... freemantlegirl2
  • Score: 0

1:30pm Fri 10 Sep 10

Ted Rogers says...

freemantlegirl2 wrote:
Ted Rogers wrote:
freemantlegirl2 wrote:
EP wrote: I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me?? It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time
How is the Blue Badge scheme unfair on you then?? please explain I'd love to know? Do YOU need to park near to an attraction? Are YOU surviving on a Carer's Allowance of £53 a week caring for two disabled young people with severe and complex needs and you have to pay extortionate parking charges for frequent hospital visits anyway? Are you not able to go to places because, for example, they haven't disabled friendly facilties? Do you have to plan any journey to be cost effective and like a military operation? Do you imagine the revenue from disabled people is going to change the debts of hants CC ? these venues will 'loose' revenue therefore cancelling out any 'gain' after they've forked out to change machines and signeage of course.
FMG - There is no point in wasting your energy on these 'Me, me, me' cretins. They are major contributors to our increasingly selfish, uncaring and greedy society. No amount of reasoning or first hand experience of true hardship, will register with these 'Lucky' morons.
Yes you are right Ted but I am forever amazed when these people come out of the woodwork, they really don't have any idea what it's like to live with disability on a day to day basis. However, we parent carers and carers and disabled people intend to fight this with a vengence because I personally think it will be the thin end of the wedge. It may have been a tongue in cheek comment about let's get rid of concessions for blind people and TV and pensioners bus passes but you can bet it will rear it's ugly head sooner or later along with a lot more things. Linesman, meant to say also well said - if someone walked in our shoes they may well have quite a wake up call....
I wish you and others well with your fight. I'll lend my support to this campaign the best that I'm able.
[quote][p][bold]freemantlegirl2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ted Rogers[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freemantlegirl2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]EP[/bold] wrote: I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me?? It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time[/p][/quote]How is the Blue Badge scheme unfair on you then?? please explain I'd love to know? Do YOU need to park near to an attraction? Are YOU surviving on a Carer's Allowance of £53 a week caring for two disabled young people with severe and complex needs and you have to pay extortionate parking charges for frequent hospital visits anyway? Are you not able to go to places because, for example, they haven't disabled friendly facilties? Do you have to plan any journey to be cost effective and like a military operation? Do you imagine the revenue from disabled people is going to change the debts of hants CC ? these venues will 'loose' revenue therefore cancelling out any 'gain' after they've forked out to change machines and signeage of course.[/p][/quote]FMG - There is no point in wasting your energy on these 'Me, me, me' cretins. They are major contributors to our increasingly selfish, uncaring and greedy society. No amount of reasoning or first hand experience of true hardship, will register with these 'Lucky' morons.[/p][/quote]Yes you are right Ted but I am forever amazed when these people come out of the woodwork, they really don't have any idea what it's like to live with disability on a day to day basis. However, we parent carers and carers and disabled people intend to fight this with a vengence because I personally think it will be the thin end of the wedge. It may have been a tongue in cheek comment about let's get rid of concessions for blind people and TV and pensioners bus passes but you can bet it will rear it's ugly head sooner or later along with a lot more things. Linesman, meant to say also well said - if someone walked in our shoes they may well have quite a wake up call....[/p][/quote]I wish you and others well with your fight. I'll lend my support to this campaign the best that I'm able. Ted Rogers
  • Score: 0

1:41pm Fri 10 Sep 10

Lone Ranger says...

MrGMan wrote:
If people want to be treated equal then everyone should be treated equally? So they should pay?
Your comments are totally obnoxious and pathetic and in my opinion totally lacking in any type of compassion but full of ignorance.....are you a Tory by any chance.
.
I ask that because i am sure that your outfit are still looking for a Spin Doctor costing in excess of £80k a year. I am sure that both they and you would consider that money well spent.........yes at great cost to the less fortunate in our society
[quote][p][bold]MrGMan[/bold] wrote: If people want to be treated equal then everyone should be treated equally? So they should pay?[/p][/quote]Your comments are totally obnoxious and pathetic and in my opinion totally lacking in any type of compassion but full of ignorance.....are you a Tory by any chance. . I ask that because i am sure that your outfit are still looking for a Spin Doctor costing in excess of £80k a year. I am sure that both they and you would consider that money well spent.........yes at great cost to the less fortunate in our society Lone Ranger
  • Score: 0

2:05pm Fri 10 Sep 10

jessica_rabbit says...

can someone explain to me who freemantle girl is??!! she gives me a headache with her aggressiveness. whether she likes it or not people are entitled to opinions that may differ to hers. I am one of those people. Im glad you are having to pay for parking. regardless of what you say or how many blood vessels you burst. The reason: I'm not going to tell you, just because I think it will wind you up even more.
can someone explain to me who freemantle girl is??!! she gives me a headache with her aggressiveness. whether she likes it or not people are entitled to opinions that may differ to hers. I am one of those people. Im glad you are having to pay for parking. regardless of what you say or how many blood vessels you burst. The reason: I'm not going to tell you, just because I think it will wind you up even more. jessica_rabbit
  • Score: 0

2:24pm Fri 10 Sep 10

Walter K says...

Shouldn't all able-bodied people welcome concessions for those less fortunate than ourselves? What would I be more grateful for....the fact that I can address my everyday life knowing that my family & I continue to be fit & well or the knowledge that everybody is being charged the same to park....
Shouldn't all able-bodied people welcome concessions for those less fortunate than ourselves? What would I be more grateful for....the fact that I can address my everyday life knowing that my family & I continue to be fit & well or the knowledge that everybody is being charged the same to park.... Walter K
  • Score: 0

2:32pm Fri 10 Sep 10

Stillness says...

There is no spare cash. The country is broke. Visiting a beauty spot is not one of life’s necessities. Get real for gods sake.
There is no spare cash. The country is broke. Visiting a beauty spot is not one of life’s necessities. Get real for gods sake. Stillness
  • Score: 0

2:49pm Fri 10 Sep 10

Gemma482 says...

EP wrote:
I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me?? It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time
Some disabled people need the larger spaces so they can get the wheelchairs up to the car door! You should also never judge someone by what they look like, just because they do not look disabled does not mean they arent so how can you say they exploit the permits. I have a permit but my disability is not obvious to an onlooker so I regular get nasty comments and dirty looks from people assuming I am exploiting the permit when in fact I am disbaled. I do not get the higher rate of DLA so do not get the free road tax and motability car scheme. My disability costs me a lot of money that I would not have to pay out if i were able bodied. It also means that if I want to visit an attraction I have to park near the entrance. I do not have the choice of parking a few streets away where you could for free, my only choice is to park near a door so why should I be penalised for this and have to pay, I have no choice! I am certainly not rolling in disability benefits! I have to work to make ends meet and its really tough to wrok with my disbility.
[quote][p][bold]EP[/bold] wrote: I for one think its a good idea, disabled drivers already have larger spaces, closer to amenities, why should they get it free as well. This will hopefully put a stop to certain people who exploit the blue badge scheme and make it very unfair to the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for parking just because I am 'able bodied' is that not discriminating against me?? It doesnt matter how much we all moan and groan about it, its going to happen regardless....you cant please all the people all the time[/p][/quote]Some disabled people need the larger spaces so they can get the wheelchairs up to the car door! You should also never judge someone by what they look like, just because they do not look disabled does not mean they arent so how can you say they exploit the permits. I have a permit but my disability is not obvious to an onlooker so I regular get nasty comments and dirty looks from people assuming I am exploiting the permit when in fact I am disbaled. I do not get the higher rate of DLA so do not get the free road tax and motability car scheme. My disability costs me a lot of money that I would not have to pay out if i were able bodied. It also means that if I want to visit an attraction I have to park near the entrance. I do not have the choice of parking a few streets away where you could for free, my only choice is to park near a door so why should I be penalised for this and have to pay, I have no choice! I am certainly not rolling in disability benefits! I have to work to make ends meet and its really tough to wrok with my disbility. Gemma482
  • Score: 0

3:06pm Fri 10 Sep 10

mike saint says...

About Time Pay Up!!!
About Time Pay Up!!! mike saint
  • Score: 0

3:12pm Fri 10 Sep 10

Ted Rogers says...

Walter K wrote:
Shouldn't all able-bodied people welcome concessions for those less fortunate than ourselves? What would I be more grateful for....the fact that I can address my everyday life knowing that my family & I continue to be fit & well or the knowledge that everybody is being charged the same to park....
Walter, please refrain from posting such compassionate, thoughtful, logical and sensible comments.

The greedy, selfish and thick, will report your IP address.
[quote][p][bold]Walter K[/bold] wrote: Shouldn't all able-bodied people welcome concessions for those less fortunate than ourselves? What would I be more grateful for....the fact that I can address my everyday life knowing that my family & I continue to be fit & well or the knowledge that everybody is being charged the same to park....[/p][/quote]Walter, please refrain from posting such compassionate, thoughtful, logical and sensible comments. The greedy, selfish and thick, will report your IP address. Ted Rogers
  • Score: 0

3:41pm Fri 10 Sep 10

H0ckeyd says...

I am disabled myself (however, my disability, or rather a resulting condition, stops me from driving); My mother is also disabled and she has a Blue badge, even she pointed out a week or so ago that she noticed most people she saw parking with the blue badges didn't actually have "a disability" as such, but were, rather morbidly obese....but apparently, if you eat yourself to gigantic proportions you can call yourself "Disabled" today as well.

You would think that I would automatically rail against these cuts by the CON/DEM government. But I will give you another example...as I have a serious condition that will never change, I recieve DLA and have done since '97, but when I initially applied, people like the ones above as well as junkies and bone-idle people weren't included...they are now strangely. So I will say cuts are needed. BUT really?...do you REALLY Think disabled people are treated equally?..because they are not.
I am disabled myself (however, my disability, or rather a resulting condition, stops me from driving); My mother is also disabled and she has a Blue badge, even she pointed out a week or so ago that she noticed most people she saw parking with the blue badges didn't actually have "a disability" as such, but were, rather morbidly obese....but apparently, if you eat yourself to gigantic proportions you can call yourself "Disabled" today as well. You would think that I would automatically rail against these cuts by the CON/DEM government. But I will give you another example...as I have a serious condition that will never change, I recieve DLA and have done since '97, but when I initially applied, people like the ones above as well as junkies and bone-idle people weren't included...they are now strangely. So I will say cuts are needed. BUT really?...do you REALLY Think disabled people are treated equally?..because they are not. H0ckeyd
  • Score: 0

4:02pm Fri 10 Sep 10

modrocker says...

There but for the grace of God go I... just think it could be you next week/month/year who are disabled due to accident/illness etc why are we all so selfish..
There but for the grace of God go I... just think it could be you next week/month/year who are disabled due to accident/illness etc why are we all so selfish.. modrocker
  • Score: 0

4:05pm Fri 10 Sep 10

soton1980 says...

Rather than penalising genuine disabled people, I think the Government should be focusing on the minority of blue badge holders who are abusing the system. THEY are the ones who should be paying like the rest of us, not those who are genuinely disabled.
Rather than penalising genuine disabled people, I think the Government should be focusing on the minority of blue badge holders who are abusing the system. THEY are the ones who should be paying like the rest of us, not those who are genuinely disabled. soton1980
  • Score: 0

5:16pm Fri 10 Sep 10

B. L. says...

soton1980 wrote:
Rather than penalising genuine disabled people, I think the Government should be focusing on the minority of blue badge holders who are abusing the system. THEY are the ones who should be paying like the rest of us, not those who are genuinely disabled.
Thank you. Just the sort of thing I was trying to get across in the previous article, but ended up getting slam dunked because it was assumed that I couldn't tell whether the persons were genuine or not. I also know for a fact because my ex-brother-in-law was a prime example.
[quote][p][bold]soton1980[/bold] wrote: Rather than penalising genuine disabled people, I think the Government should be focusing on the minority of blue badge holders who are abusing the system. THEY are the ones who should be paying like the rest of us, not those who are genuinely disabled.[/p][/quote]Thank you. Just the sort of thing I was trying to get across in the previous article, but ended up getting slam dunked because it was assumed that I couldn't tell whether the persons were genuine or not. I also know for a fact because my ex-brother-in-law was a prime example. B. L.
  • Score: 0

5:20pm Fri 10 Sep 10

ottermill says...

Oh do stop whingeing you all know that the parasitic higher level council employees must have their wages and PENSIONS paid by us who have the temerity to reside in their domain.
Oh do stop whingeing you all know that the parasitic higher level council employees must have their wages and PENSIONS paid by us who have the temerity to reside in their domain. ottermill
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Fri 10 Sep 10

Harry Bong says...

It is about time that disabled people are charged for car parking. Just because your disabled does not mean that you are financially worse off. If People on benefits always have to pay the full amount for parking why should disabled be exempt. These car park where charges are being introduced are also not essential venues just place which are nice to visit
It is about time that disabled people are charged for car parking. Just because your disabled does not mean that you are financially worse off. If People on benefits always have to pay the full amount for parking why should disabled be exempt. These car park where charges are being introduced are also not essential venues just place which are nice to visit Harry Bong
  • Score: 0

6:36pm Fri 10 Sep 10

88hythe says...

This is a good move as nobody should subsidise people to go shopping and if they dont like it dont go simples.
This is a good move as nobody should subsidise people to go shopping and if they dont like it dont go simples. 88hythe
  • Score: 0

6:43pm Fri 10 Sep 10

clausentum says...

Preferential parking spaces for easier access to essential public buildings, yes. Free parking, no. Free parking is reverse discrimination and unjustified.
Preferential parking spaces for easier access to essential public buildings, yes. Free parking, no. Free parking is reverse discrimination and unjustified. clausentum
  • Score: 0

9:27pm Fri 10 Sep 10

mummsie says...

Right... My family just won't go to these places from now on then! Then who are the losers, definately not my family!
Right... My family just won't go to these places from now on then! Then who are the losers, definately not my family! mummsie
  • Score: 0

10:17pm Fri 10 Sep 10

Stillness says...

mummsie wrote:
Right... My family just won't go to these places from now on then! Then who are the losers, definately not my family!
And your point is?
[quote][p][bold]mummsie[/bold] wrote: Right... My family just won't go to these places from now on then! Then who are the losers, definately not my family![/p][/quote]And your point is? Stillness
  • Score: 0

9:23am Sat 11 Sep 10

devans says...

I think it is fantastic I can get my chauffeur to park my new Rolls-Royce on double yellow lines, right outside the main entrance to stores where I can squander all my wealth I get on state benefit.
Get a life you morons, one day you may have an accident rendering you disabled, your new child may be born disabled then you may realise what crap you talk. Its incredible you idiots
can be jealous of people with little income with disabilities get free parking and you don't.
I think it is fantastic I can get my chauffeur to park my new Rolls-Royce on double yellow lines, right outside the main entrance to stores where I can squander all my wealth I get on state benefit. Get a life you morons, one day you may have an accident rendering you disabled, your new child may be born disabled then you may realise what crap you talk. Its incredible you idiots can be jealous of people with little income with disabilities get free parking and you don't. devans
  • Score: 0

12:40pm Sat 11 Sep 10

snapperdownunder says...

And what about all those gallant disabled servicemen and women who have fought for your freedoms. The ignorance of many of the posters here beggars belief!! Such attitudes makes me ashamed of being English.
And what about all those gallant disabled servicemen and women who have fought for your freedoms. The ignorance of many of the posters here beggars belief!! Such attitudes makes me ashamed of being English. snapperdownunder
  • Score: 0

3:40pm Sat 11 Sep 10

Bahons says...

MrGMan wrote:
If people want to be treated equal then everyone should be treated equally? So they should pay?
Disabled people are not equal to the able bodied. We struggle from the time we wake up to the time we sleep.
Those fortunate enough not to be disabled have no idea what it is to struggle every minute of the day so are not qualified to voice an opinion.
I was for a long period of my life a very fit man until a someone changed this instantly by driving into me. I know what it's like to be on both sides of the able bodied and disabled devide and I can assure you life is a much harder thing to deal with with a disability. So the opinions of all the able bodied people expressed here are worthless as they don't know what what it's like to be disabled.
[quote][p][bold]MrGMan[/bold] wrote: If people want to be treated equal then everyone should be treated equally? So they should pay?[/p][/quote]Disabled people are not equal to the able bodied. We struggle from the time we wake up to the time we sleep. Those fortunate enough not to be disabled have no idea what it is to struggle every minute of the day so are not qualified to voice an opinion. I was for a long period of my life a very fit man until a someone changed this instantly by driving into me. I know what it's like to be on both sides of the able bodied and disabled devide and I can assure you life is a much harder thing to deal with with a disability. So the opinions of all the able bodied people expressed here are worthless as they don't know what what it's like to be disabled. Bahons
  • Score: 0

3:40pm Sat 11 Sep 10

Bahons says...

MrGMan wrote:
If people want to be treated equal then everyone should be treated equally? So they should pay?
Disabled people are not equal to the able bodied. We struggle from the time we wake up to the time we sleep.
Those fortunate enough not to be disabled have no idea what it is to struggle every minute of the day so are not qualified to voice an opinion.
I was for a long period of my life a very fit man until a someone changed this instantly by driving into me. I know what it's like to be on both sides of the able bodied and disabled devide and I can assure you life is a much harder thing to deal with with a disability. So the opinions of all the able bodied people expressed here are worthless as they don't know what what it's like to be disabled.
[quote][p][bold]MrGMan[/bold] wrote: If people want to be treated equal then everyone should be treated equally? So they should pay?[/p][/quote]Disabled people are not equal to the able bodied. We struggle from the time we wake up to the time we sleep. Those fortunate enough not to be disabled have no idea what it is to struggle every minute of the day so are not qualified to voice an opinion. I was for a long period of my life a very fit man until a someone changed this instantly by driving into me. I know what it's like to be on both sides of the able bodied and disabled devide and I can assure you life is a much harder thing to deal with with a disability. So the opinions of all the able bodied people expressed here are worthless as they don't know what what it's like to be disabled. Bahons
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree