Cyclist left with broken collarbone after being driven at in New Forest

A CYCLIST says a car driver deliberately knocked him off his bike in the New Forest leaving him with a broken collarbone in three places Stephen Roberts, 43, says the driver rammed him in Burley Road, just before the entry to Brockenhurst.

He pulled level with Stephen, beeped his horn, then swerved into him, sending the Bournemouth resident tumbling on to a grass verge.

“Luckily I didn’t land on a kerb stone or anything like that,” said Stephen, a roof tiler.

Stephen is a member of New Forest Cycling Club and was out training with his Cannondale time trial bike at South Weir just after 2pm on Sunday, September 11.

He was cycling towards Brockenhurst and said two cars came through a pinch-point at around 40mph, when he believed he had the right of way.

He slammed on his brakes and stopped just in time to give a frustrated ‘V’ gesture to the second car.

The driver turned around and about 90 seconds later knocked Stephen off his bike and drove away.

Stephen said: “At first it was a numb feeling, then it got a lot more painful. For the first couple of minutes I lay face-down just getting myself together because I couldn’t believe what had happened.

“Two or three cars stopped and the people came over to help me – I want to thank them.”

Stephen does not know yet how well his shoulder will heal and whether it will affect his work.

The vehicle involved was described as a black hatchback, possibly with tinted rear windows. It was believed there was a passenger in the car with the male driver.

A Hampshire police spokesman said they wanted to talk to a female cyclist and other drivers were in the area at the time.

Contact PC David Woolfrey at Lymington police station on 101 or the Crimestoppers hotline on 0800 555 111.

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:10pm Sun 18 Sep 11

freefinker says...

.. cue forest hump and geoff51?
.. cue forest hump and geoff51? freefinker

6:15pm Sun 18 Sep 11

iampuzzled says...

I don't condone the action of the motorist but why the rude 'v' sign from the cyclist? 'He believed he had the right of way'!
What if the driver had stopped and turned out to be 6ft 6ins tall and built like a brick s**t-house?
I don't condone the action of the motorist but why the rude 'v' sign from the cyclist? 'He believed he had the right of way'! What if the driver had stopped and turned out to be 6ft 6ins tall and built like a brick s**t-house? iampuzzled

7:34pm Sun 18 Sep 11

10 Minute Man says...

But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to.

Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders. 10 Minute Man

7:54pm Sun 18 Sep 11

Jerry Parsons says...

10 Minute Man wrote:
But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to.

Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Agree, and I think the lesson is, don't be an abusive smart @rse when you're on a bike & doing it to a car.
[quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Agree, and I think the lesson is, don't be an abusive smart @rse when you're on a bike & doing it to a car. Jerry Parsons

7:57pm Sun 18 Sep 11

Jerry Parsons says...

Agree, and the lesson to be learnt here is...don't be an abusive smart @rse when you're on a bike & doing it to a car!
Agree, and the lesson to be learnt here is...don't be an abusive smart @rse when you're on a bike & doing it to a car! Jerry Parsons

8:08pm Sun 18 Sep 11

10 Minute Man says...

Jerry Parsons wrote:
Agree, and the lesson to be learnt here is...don't be an abusive smart @rse when you're on a bike & doing it to a car!
I wish the bloke a quick recovery and you can't justify violence, but equally I avoid picking fights with people whether I'm in the car or on the street.
[quote][p][bold]Jerry Parsons[/bold] wrote: Agree, and the lesson to be learnt here is...don't be an abusive smart @rse when you're on a bike & doing it to a car![/p][/quote]I wish the bloke a quick recovery and you can't justify violence, but equally I avoid picking fights with people whether I'm in the car or on the street. 10 Minute Man

8:13pm Sun 18 Sep 11

Jerry Parsons says...

I agree, but one would hope that at 43 he would have learnt some restraint or at least ready to defend the ( to be expected) results of his rude gesture.

I suspect it would be interesting to get the other side of the story.
I agree, but one would hope that at 43 he would have learnt some restraint or at least ready to defend the ( to be expected) results of his rude gesture. I suspect it would be interesting to get the other side of the story. Jerry Parsons

8:55pm Sun 18 Sep 11

Sovietobserver says...

From my recent observations neither the car nor the bike would have right of way at the Brockenhurst 'pinch points', and there are no signs.
The idea is that vehicles (and bikes) should slow until it is obvious which vehicle is either closer or one party gives way to the other.
From my recent observations neither the car nor the bike would have right of way at the Brockenhurst 'pinch points', and there are no signs. The idea is that vehicles (and bikes) should slow until it is obvious which vehicle is either closer or one party gives way to the other. Sovietobserver

9:45pm Sun 18 Sep 11

Brite Spark says...

It's quite common now for bikers to put a camera on their helmet when they are going for a ride. Whatever happened the car driver is hardly in the right for knocking the cyclist off, video evidence would have been very useful or at least it might have captured a number plate.
It's quite common now for bikers to put a camera on their helmet when they are going for a ride. Whatever happened the car driver is hardly in the right for knocking the cyclist off, video evidence would have been very useful or at least it might have captured a number plate. Brite Spark

9:48pm Sun 18 Sep 11

geoff51 says...

10 Minute Man wrote:
But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to.

Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere.
I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me.
I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that.
What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him.
Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view!
Cue Downfader!
[quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader! geoff51

9:51pm Sun 18 Sep 11

geoff51 says...

Brite Spark wrote:
It's quite common now for bikers to put a camera on their helmet when they are going for a ride. Whatever happened the car driver is hardly in the right for knocking the cyclist off, video evidence would have been very useful or at least it might have captured a number plate.
Is that because they spend so much time ignoring the highway code that they have to keep video evidence if others try to do the same?
[quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: It's quite common now for bikers to put a camera on their helmet when they are going for a ride. Whatever happened the car driver is hardly in the right for knocking the cyclist off, video evidence would have been very useful or at least it might have captured a number plate.[/p][/quote]Is that because they spend so much time ignoring the highway code that they have to keep video evidence if others try to do the same? geoff51

11:11pm Sun 18 Sep 11

downfader says...

Well here I am, since I have been summoned.. (you're supposed to say my name 3 times in the mirror by the way)

Flicking the Vs is simply no reason to use a vehicle as a weapon. Perhaps some of the objectors here would like to get themselves on a bike and ride for a few miles in our shoes? You'll soon see the position and the frustration some drivers will put you in.

Perhaps he did have right of way. If one vehicle has already entered and is most of the way through then priority extends to them under the highway code. However myself and others have been in a situation where drivers will sometimes launch at you.

It should also be considered that this man can now not work. He may now be having to live off statutory sick pay, and will be receiving NHS treatment at a cost to the tax payer - all because someone wanted to exact revenge.

In the end this isnt about cyclists, or cyclists vs drivers is it. Its about a dangerous individual who is still out there.
Well here I am, since I have been summoned.. (you're supposed to say my name 3 times in the mirror by the way) Flicking the Vs is simply no reason to use a vehicle as a weapon. Perhaps some of the objectors here would like to get themselves on a bike and ride for a few miles in our shoes? You'll soon see the position and the frustration some drivers will put you in. Perhaps he did have right of way. If one vehicle has already entered and is most of the way through then priority extends to them under the highway code. However myself and others have been in a situation where drivers will sometimes launch at you. It should also be considered that this man can now not work. He may now be having to live off statutory sick pay, and will be receiving NHS treatment at a cost to the tax payer - all because someone wanted to exact revenge. In the end this isnt about cyclists, or cyclists vs drivers is it. Its about a dangerous individual who is still out there. downfader

11:28pm Sun 18 Sep 11

geoff51 says...

Thats no way to speak about one of your fellow cyclists
Thats no way to speak about one of your fellow cyclists geoff51

8:33am Mon 19 Sep 11

mr.southampton says...

the bigger issue here is about 'traffic calming' developments which pitch road users against each other. There was another recent case of a cyclist being punched after a flare up at a pinch-point

http://www.guardian.
co.uk/environment/bi
ke-blog/2011/jul/15/
cyclist-youtube-alle
ged-attack
the bigger issue here is about 'traffic calming' developments which pitch road users against each other. There was another recent case of a cyclist being punched after a flare up at a pinch-point http://www.guardian. co.uk/environment/bi ke-blog/2011/jul/15/ cyclist-youtube-alle ged-attack mr.southampton

10:06am Mon 19 Sep 11

BMWDellboy says...

Cyclists and Caravanner's should only be allowed to travel on the road between midnight and 6 am ....
Cyclists and Caravanner's should only be allowed to travel on the road between midnight and 6 am .... BMWDellboy

10:09am Mon 19 Sep 11

Totton Tim says...

geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader!
What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way!
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way! Totton Tim

11:53am Mon 19 Sep 11

Torchie1 says...

Totton Tim wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader!
What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way!
Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.
[quote][p][bold]Totton Tim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way![/p][/quote]Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist. Torchie1

1:44pm Mon 19 Sep 11

Redman says...

I'm a cyclist and a regular driver around the forest and as such have a pretty good experience of many of the roads by either mode of transport. What amazes me is the lack of consideration drivers' give me when I'm on my bike. At cattle grids and road narrowings, more than once have I had to stop quickly as cars attempt to pass either as on-coming traffic or moving in my direction. Whilst cyclists, by nature, are somewhat smaller than cars, if drivers' were faced with a 5ft wide car and not me on my bike coming the other way, would they still attempt to pass?? I doubt it.

For me there's both inconsideration and blind unawareness from the motorist. Many believe they have a right over a cyclist and not that they are equal road users. On the contrary, it's apparent when this is not the case, when a motorist is happy to wait behind you for a suitable place to pass, or gives you sufficient room in the opposite direction. Good motorist do exist, but more need to exercise this consideration. Likewise, many cyclist need to be more considerate in the way they ride.

In this case no one but those involved know the full details, but either way a motorist should never use his vehicle as a weapon.
I'm a cyclist and a regular driver around the forest and as such have a pretty good experience of many of the roads by either mode of transport. What amazes me is the lack of consideration drivers' give me when I'm on my bike. At cattle grids and road narrowings, more than once have I had to stop quickly as cars attempt to pass either as on-coming traffic or moving in my direction. Whilst cyclists, by nature, are somewhat smaller than cars, if drivers' were faced with a 5ft wide car and not me on my bike coming the other way, would they still attempt to pass?? I doubt it. For me there's both inconsideration and blind unawareness from the motorist. Many believe they have a right over a cyclist and not that they are equal road users. On the contrary, it's apparent when this is not the case, when a motorist is happy to wait behind you for a suitable place to pass, or gives you sufficient room in the opposite direction. Good motorist do exist, but more need to exercise this consideration. Likewise, many cyclist need to be more considerate in the way they ride. In this case no one but those involved know the full details, but either way a motorist should never use his vehicle as a weapon. Redman

2:29pm Mon 19 Sep 11

808 says...

Steady on Readman that's almost sensible. No doubt someone will reply with the usual red light jumpers, road tax and riding with no lights stuff.

If he was training on a time trial bike he could be doing close to 30mph, at this speed it's tricky to judge the speed of an approaching bike and might have contributed to the situation. Perhaps the cyclist felt a bit pee'd off with having to rapidly scrub off speed in a tight situation hence the v's ?? Am sure any road user would have been equally as annoyed.
Steady on Readman that's almost sensible. No doubt someone will reply with the usual red light jumpers, road tax and riding with no lights stuff. If he was training on a time trial bike he could be doing close to 30mph, at this speed it's tricky to judge the speed of an approaching bike and might have contributed to the situation. Perhaps the cyclist felt a bit pee'd off with having to rapidly scrub off speed in a tight situation hence the v's ?? Am sure any road user would have been equally as annoyed. 808

3:40pm Mon 19 Sep 11

geoff51 says...

Totton Tim wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader!
What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way!
Its not arrogance, Its self preservation when you are as vulnerable to damage as a cyclist.
Think man dont trot out soundbites from the cyclist handbook
[quote][p][bold]Totton Tim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way![/p][/quote]Its not arrogance, Its self preservation when you are as vulnerable to damage as a cyclist. Think man dont trot out soundbites from the cyclist handbook geoff51

3:49pm Mon 19 Sep 11

geoff51 says...

Torchie1 wrote:
Totton Tim wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader!
What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way!
Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.
I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror.
Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Totton Tim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way![/p][/quote]Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.[/p][/quote]I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me geoff51

6:39pm Mon 19 Sep 11

downfader says...

geoff51 wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Totton Tim wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader!
What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way!
Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.
I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me
Dear oh dear, Geoff... what are we now, the local jester?

You're obviously very unobservant, try specsavers, mate, because its a fact that the majority of cyclists dont wear lycra.

But you have this fixation with men in lycra dont ya. Freud would love you to bits, hahaha!

No one is on a high horse, steel or hairy. There is a growing concern from all road users that things are getting silly. As I so often say - people just want safety, respect and consideration, something which in your bigotted myopia you'll never understand.
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Totton Tim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way![/p][/quote]Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.[/p][/quote]I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me[/p][/quote]Dear oh dear, Geoff... what are we now, the local jester? You're obviously very unobservant, try specsavers, mate, because its a fact that the majority of cyclists dont wear lycra. But you have this fixation with men in lycra dont ya. Freud would love you to bits, hahaha! No one is on a high horse, steel or hairy. There is a growing concern from all road users that things are getting silly. As I so often say - people just want safety, respect and consideration, something which in your bigotted myopia you'll never understand. downfader

9:29pm Mon 19 Sep 11

forest hump says...

geoff51 wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Totton Tim wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader!
What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way!
Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.
I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me
Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths?
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Totton Tim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way![/p][/quote]Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.[/p][/quote]I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me[/p][/quote]Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths? forest hump

9:51pm Mon 19 Sep 11

downfader says...

forest hump wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Totton Tim wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader!
What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way!
Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.
I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me
Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths?
You say that like its illegal.

Lets put it bluntly. Why drive on our roads and use them as cut-throughs when there is a perfectly good M27 just around the corner?

And as I've said above - have you been out on a bike and given it a go? You're in no position to judge until you do.
[quote][p][bold]forest hump[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Totton Tim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way![/p][/quote]Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.[/p][/quote]I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me[/p][/quote]Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths?[/p][/quote]You say that like its illegal. Lets put it bluntly. Why drive on our roads and use them as cut-throughs when there is a perfectly good M27 just around the corner? And as I've said above - have you been out on a bike and given it a go? You're in no position to judge until you do. downfader

10:28pm Mon 19 Sep 11

forest hump says...

downfader wrote:
forest hump wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Totton Tim wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader!
What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way!
Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.
I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me
Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths?
You say that like its illegal. Lets put it bluntly. Why drive on our roads and use them as cut-throughs when there is a perfectly good M27 just around the corner? And as I've said above - have you been out on a bike and given it a go? You're in no position to judge until you do.
Many times sunshine and your logic is a little perverse. I think self preservation would kick in perhaps? Then again....natural selection?
[quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]forest hump[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Totton Tim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way![/p][/quote]Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.[/p][/quote]I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me[/p][/quote]Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths?[/p][/quote]You say that like its illegal. Lets put it bluntly. Why drive on our roads and use them as cut-throughs when there is a perfectly good M27 just around the corner? And as I've said above - have you been out on a bike and given it a go? You're in no position to judge until you do.[/p][/quote]Many times sunshine and your logic is a little perverse. I think self preservation would kick in perhaps? Then again....natural selection? forest hump

9:58am Tue 20 Sep 11

ConZoR says...

geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote:
But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to.

Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere.
I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me.
I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that.
What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him.
Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view!
Cue Downfader!
He did have right of way: From the Highway Code

'Traffic-calming measures. On some roads there are features such as road humps, chicanes and narrowings which are intended to slow you down. When you approach these features reduce your speed. Allow cyclists and motorcyclists room to pass through them. Maintain a reduced speed along the whole of the stretch of road within the calming measures. Give way to oncoming road users if directed to do so by signs. You should not overtake other moving road users while in these areas.'
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]He did have right of way: From the Highway Code 'Traffic-calming measures. On some roads there are features such as road humps, chicanes and narrowings which are intended to slow you down. When you approach these features reduce your speed. Allow cyclists and motorcyclists room to pass through them. Maintain a reduced speed along the whole of the stretch of road within the calming measures. Give way to oncoming road users if directed to do so by signs. You should not overtake other moving road users while in these areas.' ConZoR

5:24pm Tue 20 Sep 11

downfader says...

forest hump wrote:
downfader wrote:
forest hump wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Totton Tim wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader!
What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way!
Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.
I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me
Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths?
You say that like its illegal. Lets put it bluntly. Why drive on our roads and use them as cut-throughs when there is a perfectly good M27 just around the corner? And as I've said above - have you been out on a bike and given it a go? You're in no position to judge until you do.
Many times sunshine and your logic is a little perverse. I think self preservation would kick in perhaps? Then again....natural selection?
Natural? Whats natural about cars or bikes, LOL! I think you misunderstand the theory of evolution somewhat.
[quote][p][bold]forest hump[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]forest hump[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Totton Tim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way![/p][/quote]Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.[/p][/quote]I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me[/p][/quote]Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths?[/p][/quote]You say that like its illegal. Lets put it bluntly. Why drive on our roads and use them as cut-throughs when there is a perfectly good M27 just around the corner? And as I've said above - have you been out on a bike and given it a go? You're in no position to judge until you do.[/p][/quote]Many times sunshine and your logic is a little perverse. I think self preservation would kick in perhaps? Then again....natural selection?[/p][/quote]Natural? Whats natural about cars or bikes, LOL! I think you misunderstand the theory of evolution somewhat. downfader

7:57pm Tue 20 Sep 11

forest hump says...

downfader wrote:
forest hump wrote:
downfader wrote:
forest hump wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Totton Tim wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader!
What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way!
Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.
I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me
Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths?
You say that like its illegal. Lets put it bluntly. Why drive on our roads and use them as cut-throughs when there is a perfectly good M27 just around the corner? And as I've said above - have you been out on a bike and given it a go? You're in no position to judge until you do.
Many times sunshine and your logic is a little perverse. I think self preservation would kick in perhaps? Then again....natural selection?
Natural? Whats natural about cars or bikes, LOL! I think you misunderstand the theory of evolution somewhat.
Natural selection is about mindset, not accessories.
[quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]forest hump[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]forest hump[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Totton Tim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way![/p][/quote]Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.[/p][/quote]I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me[/p][/quote]Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths?[/p][/quote]You say that like its illegal. Lets put it bluntly. Why drive on our roads and use them as cut-throughs when there is a perfectly good M27 just around the corner? And as I've said above - have you been out on a bike and given it a go? You're in no position to judge until you do.[/p][/quote]Many times sunshine and your logic is a little perverse. I think self preservation would kick in perhaps? Then again....natural selection?[/p][/quote]Natural? Whats natural about cars or bikes, LOL! I think you misunderstand the theory of evolution somewhat.[/p][/quote]Natural selection is about mindset, not accessories. forest hump

9:38pm Tue 20 Sep 11

downfader says...

forest hump wrote:
downfader wrote:
forest hump wrote:
downfader wrote:
forest hump wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
Totton Tim wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
10 Minute Man wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.
Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader!
What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way!
Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.
I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me
Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths?
You say that like its illegal. Lets put it bluntly. Why drive on our roads and use them as cut-throughs when there is a perfectly good M27 just around the corner? And as I've said above - have you been out on a bike and given it a go? You're in no position to judge until you do.
Many times sunshine and your logic is a little perverse. I think self preservation would kick in perhaps? Then again....natural selection?
Natural? Whats natural about cars or bikes, LOL! I think you misunderstand the theory of evolution somewhat.
Natural selection is about mindset, not accessories.
No, natural selection is about the strength or weakness of genetics. I studied microbiology at college, I have some reasonable understanding.

Your confusing the criteria of problem solving and skill (road craft) with biology
[quote][p][bold]forest hump[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]forest hump[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]forest hump[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Totton Tim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]10 Minute Man[/bold] wrote: But iampuzzled, all cyclists are morally superior to motorists, and therefore he was completely justified in correcting the car driver's behaviour. After all, they all know the highway code like the backs of their hands - that's why they can afford to ignore large sections of it when they want to. Lots of car drivers are morons. But I don't find cyclists any better, and the slightly more serious ones seem to have enormous chips on their shoulders.[/p][/quote]Sorry for the delay in replying to my cue only I was busy harrassing Cyclists elsewhere. I see however that quite a few posters have kept up the cause for me. I do not condone the actions of the motorist but if you are on a bicycle with the top speed of about 20mph you dont give V signs to cars that can do more than 5 times that. What I find amazing is the arrogant remark by the cyclist that he had the right of way, surely in the interest of his own safety he would give way to cars as they are bigger and heavier than him. Thanks 10minman I thought it was only me that thought serious cyclists have chips on their shoulders, I am glad others share my view! Cue Downfader![/p][/quote]What I find arrogant, geoff51, is your assumption that just because you are "bigger and heavier" then you have right of way![/p][/quote]Why not get on bike and test out your beliefs? I've no doubt someone will set up a Facetwitter page in your memory and you'll have a little flowery shrine on the side of the road which will bring some joy to the local florist.[/p][/quote]I would no more join the ranks of cyclists than I would drink acid, the though of joinin Lycra clad bods with massive chips on their shoulders fills me with horror. Until Cyclists get off their high horses and not expect others to respect them whilst they are breaking the rules of the road and common sense, like not giving V signs to someone who has the benefit of size and speed, then they will always be an anathema to me[/p][/quote]Sorry I'm late, I've been out harrasing cyclists. Guy I work with got knocked off his bike and broke his femur. I hope he has a speedy recovery but why ride on a busy road when there is a purpose built cycle path next to it? What is it about not using cycle paths?[/p][/quote]You say that like its illegal. Lets put it bluntly. Why drive on our roads and use them as cut-throughs when there is a perfectly good M27 just around the corner? And as I've said above - have you been out on a bike and given it a go? You're in no position to judge until you do.[/p][/quote]Many times sunshine and your logic is a little perverse. I think self preservation would kick in perhaps? Then again....natural selection?[/p][/quote]Natural? Whats natural about cars or bikes, LOL! I think you misunderstand the theory of evolution somewhat.[/p][/quote]Natural selection is about mindset, not accessories.[/p][/quote]No, natural selection is about the strength or weakness of genetics. I studied microbiology at college, I have some reasonable understanding. Your confusing the criteria of problem solving and skill (road craft) with biology downfader

4:36pm Wed 21 Sep 11

Maine Lobster says...

BMWDellboy wrote:
Cyclists and Caravanner's should only be allowed to travel on the road between midnight and 6 am ....
.............and only on 29th February!!
[quote][p][bold]BMWDellboy[/bold] wrote: Cyclists and Caravanner's should only be allowed to travel on the road between midnight and 6 am ....[/p][/quote].............and only on 29th February!! Maine Lobster

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree