Report this comment
  • "I really wish reporters would get their facts right before publishing! This article has told the wrong story! The gas companys would not collect the gas tank from the property, and was checked numerous times for any gas inside. All times the check for gas was confirmed as empty. Why shouldn't he be allowed to cut a tank for a friend who just happened to be his boss especially as the people involved where in the understanding it was empty?  I Completly understand people reading this and being horrified. But it simply isn't true at all and it has been dramatised and extended further than what it actually was. No skin grafts were necessary and the worker was in good spirits accepting it was an accident! It is disgraceful that a innocent man is being shown as an idiot and a man willing to put a friend in danger, especially as they were told in confidence that the tank was empty!I mean the homeowner was literally going to cut it himself But was called off for family a reason, leaving the decision to cut the tank completely in the hands of the worker. Also how do you know that the boss didn't pay the employee out of his own pocket. This story has been made to look one sided and it is pathetic how a "unbiased" newspaper has made it out to be bias!"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.

  • Enter the above word in the box below

Boss told worker to use disc cutter on full gas tank

Boss told worker to use disc cutter on full gas tank

Boss told worker to use disc cutter on full gas tank

First published in News

A WORKER was badly burned after being told to remove the top of a propane gas tank with a disc cutter, a court heard.

The 29-year-old – who was in his boss’s house – suffered injuries to his arm and body after flammable gases caught fire.

The incident occurred at the home of company director Jamie Jewell, who was told to pay more than £4,000 in fines and costs.

It followed an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which says the employee was lucky not to have been killed.

The worker, who lives in Winchester, had to take three weeks off work and was restricted to light duties for a further month.

Southampton magistrates heard that Jewell did not know enough about the hazards of handling propane gas to carry out the work competently or supervise others.

Jewell, a director of Totton-based Suffix Pre-Cast, admitted breaching the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act. He was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £2,451.

The incident, which involved a full tank of propane gas, occurred at Jewell’s Calmore home on September 2 last year.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Ray Kelly said: “This incident should never have happened and it was only a matter of good fortune that the worker was not killed.

“It was irresponsible of the defendant to take an employee to his house.”

Comments (39)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree