Home Secretary Theresa May 'has no intention of listening to police'

Home Secretary Theresa May

Home Secretary Theresa May

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy News Editor

SHE has no intention of listening.

That was the damning accusation levelled at Home Secretary Theresa May by furious Hampshire police officers who say the police service is being torn apart by drastic 20 per cent cuts.

More than 1,200 officers from England and Wales packed in to the police federation conference in Bournemouth yesterday to hear what the minister had to say about multi-million pound cutbacks which officers say are putting lives at risk.

But Mrs May found herself being heckled throughout her speech in which she told the audience that they needed to “stop pretending” they were being picked on. She said the severe cuts must be seen through “for the good of the country”.

Mrs May addressed the conference six days after more than 30,000 officers and support staff - including 450 from the county - marched through the capital in protest at the cuts - which in Hampshire amount to £54m over four years.

But Mrs May showed no emotion as she walked on stage to be greeted by officers standing and holding banners saying ''Cutting police by 20% is criminal'' and saying ''Enough is enough.''

She said the option of the right to strike was ''off the table'', adding: ''Keeping our communities safe is simply too important.''

The controversial Winsor Review - ordered by Mrs May, which recommends wideranging changes to police pay and conditions - was also greeted with anger but later cheers and applause as one police federation member told her he thought she was “a disgrace”.

And she was heckled as she told rank and file officers that the changes to their wage packets were reforms that hard-working officers should welcome.

Speaking after Mrs may's speech, chairman of Hampshire Police Federation John Apter, said: “I am frustrated that the Home Secretary has no intention of listening to the rank and file. She has made her position abundantly clear.

“We all accept that the police service must take its fair share of the pain, but we are two years into the budget cuts and the next two years are going to be even more difficult. We were looking for a lifeline today but we have not got one.”

Comments (38)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:14pm Wed 16 May 12

sotonbusdriver says...

She'll be the first to complain the POLICE aren't doing their job if she gets mugged or broken into at home.
But she really deserves all she gets if it happens...
She'll be the first to complain the POLICE aren't doing their job if she gets mugged or broken into at home. But she really deserves all she gets if it happens... sotonbusdriver
  • Score: 0

6:42pm Wed 16 May 12

The Salv says...

But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.
But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple. The Salv
  • Score: 0

7:14pm Wed 16 May 12

Rhombus says...

No emergency service should be allowed to strike if that's the case.
No emergency service should be allowed to strike if that's the case. Rhombus
  • Score: 0

7:35pm Wed 16 May 12

IronLady2010 says...

Any Emergency service whom have pledged their life to the Queen and Throne should not be able to strike.
Any Emergency service whom have pledged their life to the Queen and Throne should not be able to strike. IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

7:40pm Wed 16 May 12

Linesman says...

The Salv wrote:
But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.
They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned.

Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.'

You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond.

Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime.
[quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.[/p][/quote]They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned. Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.' You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond. Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime. Linesman
  • Score: 0

7:43pm Wed 16 May 12

Lone Ranger. says...

The Salv wrote:
But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.
I dont think that the police do think that they are better than anyone else.
.
But i do feel that to maintain law and order we need a well trained, organised, disciplined, honest, reliable, brave, special and devoted human being.
.
For this they must be respected and well rewarded.
.
In that catagory can fit the Armed Forces, Fire Fighters, Nursing/Doctors ........ Most of whom have and do devote their working lives to their profession.
.
These people are the "Front Line"
[quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.[/p][/quote]I dont think that the police do think that they are better than anyone else. . But i do feel that to maintain law and order we need a well trained, organised, disciplined, honest, reliable, brave, special and devoted human being. . For this they must be respected and well rewarded. . In that catagory can fit the Armed Forces, Fire Fighters, Nursing/Doctors ........ Most of whom have and do devote their working lives to their profession. . These people are the "Front Line" Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

7:43pm Wed 16 May 12

Condor Man says...

I've had little time for rank & file police officers since the Stephen Lawrence case. Their incompetence let scum on the streets for nearly 20 years. If police want to be taken seriously set the same training criteria as a teacher or nurse would have to take. 3 year degree v 12 weeks training? I think police do well.
I've had little time for rank & file police officers since the Stephen Lawrence case. Their incompetence let scum on the streets for nearly 20 years. If police want to be taken seriously set the same training criteria as a teacher or nurse would have to take. 3 year degree v 12 weeks training? I think police do well. Condor Man
  • Score: 0

7:48pm Wed 16 May 12

IronLady2010 says...

Linesman wrote:
The Salv wrote:
But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.
They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned.

Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.'

You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond.

Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime.
The Police were called upon?? They were there in the first place, but namby pamby do gooders stopped them being shot!

What do we have now? Hmmmmm more jail cells taken up by hormone excited children.

What we need is more jails, lock these idiots up, take away their perks.
Until we do this we'll be walking round in circles all day mann (smokes)
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.[/p][/quote]They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned. Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.' You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond. Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime.[/p][/quote]The Police were called upon?? They were there in the first place, but namby pamby do gooders stopped them being shot! What do we have now? Hmmmmm more jail cells taken up by hormone excited children. What we need is more jails, lock these idiots up, take away their perks. Until we do this we'll be walking round in circles all day mann (smokes) IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

8:09pm Wed 16 May 12

tiredoftiredfools says...

Crime falling - a scandalous lie -just a frustrated public with no open police stations - 20 minute waits on police phone lines to be told thankyou we wont do anything - who reports a shed or garage burglary anymore or an assault on the way home - no-one - who reports graffiti or damage to their car - no -one. Last year in the riots Hants police cancelled all officers rest days over a weekend but still sent ten to prance around at gay -pride in Brighton - wake up the public.
Crime falling - a scandalous lie -just a frustrated public with no open police stations - 20 minute waits on police phone lines to be told thankyou we wont do anything - who reports a shed or garage burglary anymore or an assault on the way home - no-one - who reports graffiti or damage to their car - no -one. Last year in the riots Hants police cancelled all officers rest days over a weekend but still sent ten to prance around at gay -pride in Brighton - wake up the public. tiredoftiredfools
  • Score: 0

8:34pm Wed 16 May 12

thesouth says...

Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk.

A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on.

By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service
Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk. A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on. By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service thesouth
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Wed 16 May 12

Ant Smoking MP says...

thesouth wrote:
Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk.

A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on.

By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service
What a brilliant honest answer.
.
Tories, shut up!!
[quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk. A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on. By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service[/p][/quote]What a brilliant honest answer. . Tories, shut up!! Ant Smoking MP
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Wed 16 May 12

SOULJACKER says...

Dayam ugly biatch.....smug politicians should all be strung up.....people like her are screwing us over fo sho now :D

They have lost control of the economy, the borders & crime...they have a lot to answer for :(
Dayam ugly biatch.....smug politicians should all be strung up.....people like her are screwing us over fo sho now :D They have lost control of the economy, the borders & crime...they have a lot to answer for :( SOULJACKER
  • Score: 0

9:11pm Wed 16 May 12

cantthinkofone says...

If they weren't plagued by such a culture of endemic racism and bullying I may have a little more sympathy.
If they weren't plagued by such a culture of endemic racism and bullying I may have a little more sympathy. cantthinkofone
  • Score: 0

9:42pm Wed 16 May 12

IronLady2010 says...

SOULJACKER wrote:
Dayam ugly biatch.....smug politicians should all be strung up.....people like her are screwing us over fo sho now :D

They have lost control of the economy, the borders & crime...they have a lot to answer for :(
Even I laughed!
[quote][p][bold]SOULJACKER[/bold] wrote: Dayam ugly biatch.....smug politicians should all be strung up.....people like her are screwing us over fo sho now :D They have lost control of the economy, the borders & crime...they have a lot to answer for :([/p][/quote]Even I laughed! IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

10:07pm Wed 16 May 12

IronLady2010 says...

thesouth wrote:
Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk.

A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on.

By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service
I support you!
[quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk. A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on. By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service[/p][/quote]I support you! IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

10:09pm Wed 16 May 12

The Salv says...

Linesman wrote:
The Salv wrote:
But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.
They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned.

Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.'

You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond.

Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime.
You mean the riots that went on for 4 days longer than it should have done because the Police stood back and watched because they didnt want to appear to be arresting black kids?
.
It wasnt until the threats of the Army having to be called in (who get paid less btw) and the copy cat white scum joining in that they actually started to do something about it. I wouldnt use the riots to make the Police look good, it was an absolute disaster on their part.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.[/p][/quote]They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned. Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.' You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond. Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime.[/p][/quote]You mean the riots that went on for 4 days longer than it should have done because the Police stood back and watched because they didnt want to appear to be arresting black kids? . It wasnt until the threats of the Army having to be called in (who get paid less btw) and the copy cat white scum joining in that they actually started to do something about it. I wouldnt use the riots to make the Police look good, it was an absolute disaster on their part. The Salv
  • Score: 0

10:11pm Wed 16 May 12

The Salv says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
The Salv wrote:
But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.
I dont think that the police do think that they are better than anyone else.
.
But i do feel that to maintain law and order we need a well trained, organised, disciplined, honest, reliable, brave, special and devoted human being.
.
For this they must be respected and well rewarded.
.
In that catagory can fit the Armed Forces, Fire Fighters, Nursing/Doctors ........ Most of whom have and do devote their working lives to their profession.
.
These people are the "Front Line"
Im sorry once again the people that actually keep this world moving is totally forgotten about - The Engineers. Not surprised most of us do not complain and just get on with the incredibly dangerous jobs so that the public can have electricity and gas in their homes and be able to drive to work in their motor cars!
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.[/p][/quote]I dont think that the police do think that they are better than anyone else. . But i do feel that to maintain law and order we need a well trained, organised, disciplined, honest, reliable, brave, special and devoted human being. . For this they must be respected and well rewarded. . In that catagory can fit the Armed Forces, Fire Fighters, Nursing/Doctors ........ Most of whom have and do devote their working lives to their profession. . These people are the "Front Line"[/p][/quote]Im sorry once again the people that actually keep this world moving is totally forgotten about - The Engineers. Not surprised most of us do not complain and just get on with the incredibly dangerous jobs so that the public can have electricity and gas in their homes and be able to drive to work in their motor cars! The Salv
  • Score: 0

10:14pm Wed 16 May 12

Marchwood dog man says...

Right I agree that should not strike BUT the Winsor report recommends giving chief constables the power to make officers redundant. These officers have families too so if the upper management can do that then shouldn't officers have full industrial rights.
Right I agree that should not strike BUT the Winsor report recommends giving chief constables the power to make officers redundant. These officers have families too so if the upper management can do that then shouldn't officers have full industrial rights. Marchwood dog man
  • Score: 0

10:14pm Wed 16 May 12

IronLady2010 says...

The Salv wrote:
Linesman wrote:
The Salv wrote:
But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.
They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned.

Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.'

You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond.

Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime.
You mean the riots that went on for 4 days longer than it should have done because the Police stood back and watched because they didnt want to appear to be arresting black kids?
.
It wasnt until the threats of the Army having to be called in (who get paid less btw) and the copy cat white scum joining in that they actually started to do something about it. I wouldnt use the riots to make the Police look good, it was an absolute disaster on their part.
Not sure we're allowed to say that?

Never know what I can or can't say these days.
[quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.[/p][/quote]They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned. Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.' You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond. Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime.[/p][/quote]You mean the riots that went on for 4 days longer than it should have done because the Police stood back and watched because they didnt want to appear to be arresting black kids? . It wasnt until the threats of the Army having to be called in (who get paid less btw) and the copy cat white scum joining in that they actually started to do something about it. I wouldnt use the riots to make the Police look good, it was an absolute disaster on their part.[/p][/quote]Not sure we're allowed to say that? Never know what I can or can't say these days. IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

10:23pm Wed 16 May 12

The Salv says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
The Salv wrote:
Linesman wrote:
The Salv wrote:
But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.
They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned.

Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.'

You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond.

Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime.
You mean the riots that went on for 4 days longer than it should have done because the Police stood back and watched because they didnt want to appear to be arresting black kids?
.
It wasnt until the threats of the Army having to be called in (who get paid less btw) and the copy cat white scum joining in that they actually started to do something about it. I wouldnt use the riots to make the Police look good, it was an absolute disaster on their part.
Not sure we're allowed to say that?

Never know what I can or can't say these days.
Lets not forget, this was a riot started by race - The Police shot dead an (allegedly) un-armed local drug dealer who happened to be a member of that ethnic origin. Read your history it was only last year. They Police did not want to antaginise the situation even more by being seen arresting even more black protestors/rioters. Then the opportunistic Copy Cat criminals in Manchester and other places in the UK began. So yes we can say it.
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.[/p][/quote]They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned. Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.' You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond. Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime.[/p][/quote]You mean the riots that went on for 4 days longer than it should have done because the Police stood back and watched because they didnt want to appear to be arresting black kids? . It wasnt until the threats of the Army having to be called in (who get paid less btw) and the copy cat white scum joining in that they actually started to do something about it. I wouldnt use the riots to make the Police look good, it was an absolute disaster on their part.[/p][/quote]Not sure we're allowed to say that? Never know what I can or can't say these days.[/p][/quote]Lets not forget, this was a riot started by race - The Police shot dead an (allegedly) un-armed local drug dealer who happened to be a member of that ethnic origin. Read your history it was only last year. They Police did not want to antaginise the situation even more by being seen arresting even more black protestors/rioters. Then the opportunistic Copy Cat criminals in Manchester and other places in the UK began. So yes we can say it. The Salv
  • Score: 0

10:35pm Wed 16 May 12

Stubs says...

Bring in the army. That will sort them out.
Bring in the army. That will sort them out. Stubs
  • Score: 0

10:45pm Wed 16 May 12

business-guru says...

Hampshire police are full of cr@p. they have loads of spare resources. they pay semi-retired coppers a fortune to sit around in camera vans clobbering motorists in cash-cow speed traps all over the county. They clearly have loads of resources spare. Stop moaning coppers, you have the best pensions around, if you don't like it get another job....
Hampshire police are full of cr@p. they have loads of spare resources. they pay semi-retired coppers a fortune to sit around in camera vans clobbering motorists in cash-cow speed traps all over the county. They clearly have loads of resources spare. Stop moaning coppers, you have the best pensions around, if you don't like it get another job.... business-guru
  • Score: 0

11:01pm Wed 16 May 12

Linesman says...

The Salv wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
The Salv wrote:
Linesman wrote:
The Salv wrote:
But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.
They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned.

Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.'

You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond.

Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime.
You mean the riots that went on for 4 days longer than it should have done because the Police stood back and watched because they didnt want to appear to be arresting black kids?
.
It wasnt until the threats of the Army having to be called in (who get paid less btw) and the copy cat white scum joining in that they actually started to do something about it. I wouldnt use the riots to make the Police look good, it was an absolute disaster on their part.
Not sure we're allowed to say that?

Never know what I can or can't say these days.
Lets not forget, this was a riot started by race - The Police shot dead an (allegedly) un-armed local drug dealer who happened to be a member of that ethnic origin. Read your history it was only last year. They Police did not want to antaginise the situation even more by being seen arresting even more black protestors/rioters. Then the opportunistic Copy Cat criminals in Manchester and other places in the UK began. So yes we can say it.
And who are the police answerable to?

The Home Secretary?

Who is the Home Secretary?
[quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: But we have to make cuts, the country is in major debt and was made worse b the financial crisis. Why do the Police think they are special and better than everybody else. Its just a job, you have a choice, stay or go, its that simple.[/p][/quote]They probably think that they are special because it was the police that were called upon to restore order in London and other locations when there were riots, with property damaged and burned. Mrs May, as Home Secretary, has responsibility for the police. She is also a Conservative minister who was elected on the party's promise to 'be tough on crime.' You may well think that a 20% reduction in police numbers will see a drop in the crime rate, but many people do not. Statistics may show a drop, but that would be because the general public see no point in reporting crimes, because there are never enough police to respond. Less crime reported produces statistics that show there is less crime.[/p][/quote]You mean the riots that went on for 4 days longer than it should have done because the Police stood back and watched because they didnt want to appear to be arresting black kids? . It wasnt until the threats of the Army having to be called in (who get paid less btw) and the copy cat white scum joining in that they actually started to do something about it. I wouldnt use the riots to make the Police look good, it was an absolute disaster on their part.[/p][/quote]Not sure we're allowed to say that? Never know what I can or can't say these days.[/p][/quote]Lets not forget, this was a riot started by race - The Police shot dead an (allegedly) un-armed local drug dealer who happened to be a member of that ethnic origin. Read your history it was only last year. They Police did not want to antaginise the situation even more by being seen arresting even more black protestors/rioters. Then the opportunistic Copy Cat criminals in Manchester and other places in the UK began. So yes we can say it.[/p][/quote]And who are the police answerable to? The Home Secretary? Who is the Home Secretary? Linesman
  • Score: 0

11:04pm Wed 16 May 12

Linesman says...

Stubs wrote:
Bring in the army. That will sort them out.
What army?

When they return from Afghanistan, some of them are given a medal in one hand and a redundancy notice in the other.

Check out what Defence Secretary Hammond is doing. He is cutting the numbers in the armed forces.
[quote][p][bold]Stubs[/bold] wrote: Bring in the army. That will sort them out.[/p][/quote]What army? When they return from Afghanistan, some of them are given a medal in one hand and a redundancy notice in the other. Check out what Defence Secretary Hammond is doing. He is cutting the numbers in the armed forces. Linesman
  • Score: 0

11:06pm Wed 16 May 12

Cookiecutter says...

There was a time when i used to respect the police officer and the uniform! But, for too long now it would seem they think themselves above the law they are supposed to uphold. The service has been cut in manpower yet increased in vehicle power. More cars means more fuel to power those vehicle. More fuel less manpower means less policing where it is needed - on the streets. Cut the cars, increase the manpower put them back on the beat walking, talking with youth. Cut the immigration would reduce the criminals coming into our cities. Return them that create crime back to whence they came, at their own expense no matter what. This 101 number created to reduce the phone log is a useless waste of time. 999 services are too slow to respond. A bus driver was assaulted in Portswood while operating his bus. It took 999 nearly 2 hours to respond! A recent accident (according to the Echo) took 999 28 minutes to respond and the person died as a result. A grand child needed an ambulance a few months ago and there were available in Southampton, or Hythe. It had to come from Winchester. Police have a brand new building yet it is built in a location that has traffic lights and four way unending traffic to prevent their exits. I'm getting myself so upset right now its unbelievable the stupidity i see in Britain. Polish fighting Russian. Pakistani blowing holes in our train service raping and killing our children. Its too much.
There was a time when i used to respect the police officer and the uniform! But, for too long now it would seem they think themselves above the law they are supposed to uphold. The service has been cut in manpower yet increased in vehicle power. More cars means more fuel to power those vehicle. More fuel less manpower means less policing where it is needed - on the streets. Cut the cars, increase the manpower put them back on the beat walking, talking with youth. Cut the immigration would reduce the criminals coming into our cities. Return them that create crime back to whence they came, at their own expense no matter what. This 101 number created to reduce the phone log is a useless waste of time. 999 services are too slow to respond. A bus driver was assaulted in Portswood while operating his bus. It took 999 nearly 2 hours to respond! A recent accident (according to the Echo) took 999 28 minutes to respond and the person died as a result. A grand child needed an ambulance a few months ago and there were available in Southampton, or Hythe. It had to come from Winchester. Police have a brand new building yet it is built in a location that has traffic lights and four way unending traffic to prevent their exits. I'm getting myself so upset right now its unbelievable the stupidity i see in Britain. Polish fighting Russian. Pakistani blowing holes in our train service raping and killing our children. Its too much. Cookiecutter
  • Score: 0

11:30pm Wed 16 May 12

sarfhamton says...

Crikey those coppers on the TV are well fat, they could save a billion by closing the canteen I reckon.
Crikey those coppers on the TV are well fat, they could save a billion by closing the canteen I reckon. sarfhamton
  • Score: 0

11:51pm Wed 16 May 12

mooky9 says...

I agree with some of the above but not with some of the other same old lines! But did you know tom windsor who did the report is a share holder of a law firm who negotiate contracts for g4s to take on work for police forces, the same company teressa may is a share holder of... oddly enough the report recommends privatising work and g4s will benefit. And who says politics is corrupt!!!!?
I agree with some of the above but not with some of the other same old lines! But did you know tom windsor who did the report is a share holder of a law firm who negotiate contracts for g4s to take on work for police forces, the same company teressa may is a share holder of... oddly enough the report recommends privatising work and g4s will benefit. And who says politics is corrupt!!!!? mooky9
  • Score: 0

11:57pm Wed 16 May 12

business-guru says...

mooky9 wrote:
I agree with some of the above but not with some of the other same old lines! But did you know tom windsor who did the report is a share holder of a law firm who negotiate contracts for g4s to take on work for police forces, the same company teressa may is a share holder of... oddly enough the report recommends privatising work and g4s will benefit. And who says politics is corrupt!!!!?
bring it on... more efficient... policework is 5% hell 95% a total doss.... great job , great pensions, great benefits,,,, they are just infected with the national disease.... moan moan moan moan.
[quote][p][bold]mooky9[/bold] wrote: I agree with some of the above but not with some of the other same old lines! But did you know tom windsor who did the report is a share holder of a law firm who negotiate contracts for g4s to take on work for police forces, the same company teressa may is a share holder of... oddly enough the report recommends privatising work and g4s will benefit. And who says politics is corrupt!!!!?[/p][/quote]bring it on... more efficient... policework is 5% hell 95% a total doss.... great job , great pensions, great benefits,,,, they are just infected with the national disease.... moan moan moan moan. business-guru
  • Score: 0

12:06am Thu 17 May 12

Poppy22 says...

thesouth wrote:
Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk. A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on. By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service
Although I don't think that anyone should have to work those hours, without breaks, etc, I must admit that those hours and lack of breaks/sleep are very common in the private sector across all types of business. I worked like that (though without the harrowing experiences mentioned) for 30 years without any career breaks (eg no children). I'd also be still working the same way if ageism hadn't kicked in the minute I hit age 50 and I suddenly became "unemployable", like so many other private sector career women I know. Some pressures in the private sector are similar to those the police experience, some are different.
I only know 2 (ex) policemen and both have been in extremely comfortable - and recent - retirement since their mid 40s/age 50 (can't remember which) and spend most of their time jetting around the world on multiple costly holidays.
For those of us who slaved in the private sector for 30-40 years or more (even those of us who earned so called "higher rate tax" incomes), many of us will be lucky if we get any more than a couple of thousand pounds a year pension, despite having been in supposedly secure (and initially final salary!!) schemes for all those years. That's largely due to the fact of several redundancies during our careers (companies lay off and take on as they fancy) and constant company takeovers and subsequent mis-management of pension schemes.
I still think the public sector don't have a clue how lucky they are compared to the private sector. It's also not just the public sector that serves the general public, we all do, in whatever job we do.
The rest of us have had to go without pay rises, bonuses, etc, for the last 10 years or more so why do public sector employees think they are superior to the rest of us and don't have to put up with what the rest of us have had to for years. Especially when a substantial amount of our taxes, council tax, etc goes towards the public sector.
[quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk. A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on. By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service[/p][/quote]Although I don't think that anyone should have to work those hours, without breaks, etc, I must admit that those hours and lack of breaks/sleep are very common in the private sector across all types of business. I worked like that (though without the harrowing experiences mentioned) for 30 years without any career breaks (eg no children). I'd also be still working the same way if ageism hadn't kicked in the minute I hit age 50 and I suddenly became "unemployable", like so many other private sector career women I know. Some pressures in the private sector are similar to those the police experience, some are different. I only know 2 (ex) policemen and both have been in extremely comfortable - and recent - retirement since their mid 40s/age 50 (can't remember which) and spend most of their time jetting around the world on multiple costly holidays. For those of us who slaved in the private sector for 30-40 years or more (even those of us who earned so called "higher rate tax" incomes), many of us will be lucky if we get any more than a couple of thousand pounds a year pension, despite having been in supposedly secure (and initially final salary!!) schemes for all those years. That's largely due to the fact of several redundancies during our careers (companies lay off and take on as they fancy) and constant company takeovers and subsequent mis-management of pension schemes. I still think the public sector don't have a clue how lucky they are compared to the private sector. It's also not just the public sector that serves the general public, we all do, in whatever job we do. The rest of us have had to go without pay rises, bonuses, etc, for the last 10 years or more so why do public sector employees think they are superior to the rest of us and don't have to put up with what the rest of us have had to for years. Especially when a substantial amount of our taxes, council tax, etc goes towards the public sector. Poppy22
  • Score: 0

8:40am Thu 17 May 12

Taskforce 141 says...

thesouth wrote:
Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk.

A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on.

By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service
Well said.

You have my support, unfortunately you wont have the governments until crime spirals out of control or a really horrific incident occurs.

May needs to be ousted as soon as possible, but that wont happen while Cameroon is in power.

She is supposed to be 'tough on crime' yet she cuts the police force, meaning less officers and less special units meaning criminals get away with more - how is that tough?

Total DISGRACE.
[quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk. A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on. By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service[/p][/quote]Well said. You have my support, unfortunately you wont have the governments until crime spirals out of control or a really horrific incident occurs. May needs to be ousted as soon as possible, but that wont happen while Cameroon is in power. She is supposed to be 'tough on crime' yet she cuts the police force, meaning less officers and less special units meaning criminals get away with more - how is that tough? Total DISGRACE. Taskforce 141
  • Score: 0

9:34am Thu 17 May 12

good-gosh says...

Police should not be cut because public security is the foundation of ordered society. It’s the NHS that should be cut – and deeply - by stopping all minor ailment treatment for adults.
Police should not be cut because public security is the foundation of ordered society. It’s the NHS that should be cut – and deeply - by stopping all minor ailment treatment for adults. good-gosh
  • Score: 0

10:01am Thu 17 May 12

Shoong says...

Reading through the comments so far, there seems to be something that has been missed - where is the money going to come from?
Reading through the comments so far, there seems to be something that has been missed - where is the money going to come from? Shoong
  • Score: 0

11:02am Thu 17 May 12

Huffter says...

I wouldn't mind betting Teresa May drives very carefully these days!
I wouldn't mind betting Teresa May drives very carefully these days! Huffter
  • Score: 0

11:13am Thu 17 May 12

freemantlegirl2 says...

Taskforce 141 wrote:
thesouth wrote:
Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk.

A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on.

By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service
Well said.

You have my support, unfortunately you wont have the governments until crime spirals out of control or a really horrific incident occurs.

May needs to be ousted as soon as possible, but that wont happen while Cameroon is in power.

She is supposed to be 'tough on crime' yet she cuts the police force, meaning less officers and less special units meaning criminals get away with more - how is that tough?

Total DISGRACE.
couldn't agree more. Theresa May is arrogant and misguided - they say they want to be tough on crime - yet they want to see the breakdown of a world renowned police force.

Disgraceful doesn't even begin to describe these actions.

She got what she deserved yesterday, and there has already been headlines about our border controls, we are now going to see them with the Police. We have never seen scenes like this, ever. It is really worrying and of great concern to every single one of us.
[quote][p][bold]Taskforce 141[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk. A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on. By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service[/p][/quote]Well said. You have my support, unfortunately you wont have the governments until crime spirals out of control or a really horrific incident occurs. May needs to be ousted as soon as possible, but that wont happen while Cameroon is in power. She is supposed to be 'tough on crime' yet she cuts the police force, meaning less officers and less special units meaning criminals get away with more - how is that tough? Total DISGRACE.[/p][/quote]couldn't agree more. Theresa May is arrogant and misguided - they say they want to be tough on crime - yet they want to see the breakdown of a world renowned police force. Disgraceful doesn't even begin to describe these actions. She got what she deserved yesterday, and there has already been headlines about our border controls, we are now going to see them with the Police. We have never seen scenes like this, ever. It is really worrying and of great concern to every single one of us. freemantlegirl2
  • Score: 0

11:29am Thu 17 May 12

Willy47 says...

I have to say i agree with most of the comments on here, these cuts are an absolute disgrace and a threat to public safety. I thoroughly agree that perhaps some of their police cars should be taken away and more money spent on officers getting back on the beat and walking the streets to show their presence and actually become a part of the local community, which i think would greatly help reduce crime especially youth related crimes.

Until Theresa May or indeed any of you other "armchair" police officers have been put in the middle of a riot or told a family they will not see their son/daughter again due to an irresponsible drunk driver, i think you cant really comment or support these budget cuts, furthermore Theresa May perhaps could take a wage cut to show some support for these cuts rather than just cutting everyone elses and probably just raising her own.

This country has become an absolute disgrace to be honest and i for one will be hoping to move abroad in the near future and get away from the ridiculous political and social issues of this country.

Just my Two pence.
I have to say i agree with most of the comments on here, these cuts are an absolute disgrace and a threat to public safety. I thoroughly agree that perhaps some of their police cars should be taken away and more money spent on officers getting back on the beat and walking the streets to show their presence and actually become a part of the local community, which i think would greatly help reduce crime especially youth related crimes. Until Theresa May or indeed any of you other "armchair" police officers have been put in the middle of a riot or told a family they will not see their son/daughter again due to an irresponsible drunk driver, i think you cant really comment or support these budget cuts, furthermore Theresa May perhaps could take a wage cut to show some support for these cuts rather than just cutting everyone elses and probably just raising her own. This country has become an absolute disgrace to be honest and i for one will be hoping to move abroad in the near future and get away from the ridiculous political and social issues of this country. Just my Two pence. Willy47
  • Score: 0

12:49pm Thu 17 May 12

The Salv says...

freemantlegirl2 wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote:
thesouth wrote: Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk. A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on. By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service
Well said. You have my support, unfortunately you wont have the governments until crime spirals out of control or a really horrific incident occurs. May needs to be ousted as soon as possible, but that wont happen while Cameroon is in power. She is supposed to be 'tough on crime' yet she cuts the police force, meaning less officers and less special units meaning criminals get away with more - how is that tough? Total DISGRACE.
couldn't agree more. Theresa May is arrogant and misguided - they say they want to be tough on crime - yet they want to see the breakdown of a world renowned police force. Disgraceful doesn't even begin to describe these actions. She got what she deserved yesterday, and there has already been headlines about our border controls, we are now going to see them with the Police. We have never seen scenes like this, ever. It is really worrying and of great concern to every single one of us.
Destroy the Police Force LOL I did have a rather big chickle etc etc etc usual rubbish that you would write as a response.
.
Where is the money going to come from, Labour spent spent spent and delivered promises they couldnt keep. Now the Tories have to pick up the mess and be the bad guys having to take the sweets away from the toothless children.
.
Enough with this rubbish about how the Police have a tough job, this is nothing but Elitism. As proven countless times on here before there are many people that work everyday in tough conditions, risking their lives and health so that people like you have a home to live in a car to drive and food on your table. Yes the Police do a good job, but so do countless others.
[quote][p][bold]freemantlegirl2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Taskforce 141[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk. A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on. By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service[/p][/quote]Well said. You have my support, unfortunately you wont have the governments until crime spirals out of control or a really horrific incident occurs. May needs to be ousted as soon as possible, but that wont happen while Cameroon is in power. She is supposed to be 'tough on crime' yet she cuts the police force, meaning less officers and less special units meaning criminals get away with more - how is that tough? Total DISGRACE.[/p][/quote]couldn't agree more. Theresa May is arrogant and misguided - they say they want to be tough on crime - yet they want to see the breakdown of a world renowned police force. Disgraceful doesn't even begin to describe these actions. She got what she deserved yesterday, and there has already been headlines about our border controls, we are now going to see them with the Police. We have never seen scenes like this, ever. It is really worrying and of great concern to every single one of us.[/p][/quote]Destroy the Police Force LOL I did have a rather big chickle etc etc etc usual rubbish that you would write as a response. . Where is the money going to come from, Labour spent spent spent and delivered promises they couldnt keep. Now the Tories have to pick up the mess and be the bad guys having to take the sweets away from the toothless children. . Enough with this rubbish about how the Police have a tough job, this is nothing but Elitism. As proven countless times on here before there are many people that work everyday in tough conditions, risking their lives and health so that people like you have a home to live in a car to drive and food on your table. Yes the Police do a good job, but so do countless others. The Salv
  • Score: 0

8:28am Fri 18 May 12

mooky9 says...

business-guru wrote:
mooky9 wrote:
I agree with some of the above but not with some of the other same old lines! But did you know tom windsor who did the report is a share holder of a law firm who negotiate contracts for g4s to take on work for police forces, the same company teressa may is a share holder of... oddly enough the report recommends privatising work and g4s will benefit. And who says politics is corrupt!!!!?
bring it on... more efficient... policework is 5% hell 95% a total doss.... great job , great pensions, great benefits,,,, they are just infected with the national disease.... moan moan moan moan.
And that in one paragraph shows your complete ignorance of the subject, so next time don't even bother commenting...
[quote][p][bold]business-guru[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mooky9[/bold] wrote: I agree with some of the above but not with some of the other same old lines! But did you know tom windsor who did the report is a share holder of a law firm who negotiate contracts for g4s to take on work for police forces, the same company teressa may is a share holder of... oddly enough the report recommends privatising work and g4s will benefit. And who says politics is corrupt!!!!?[/p][/quote]bring it on... more efficient... policework is 5% hell 95% a total doss.... great job , great pensions, great benefits,,,, they are just infected with the national disease.... moan moan moan moan.[/p][/quote]And that in one paragraph shows your complete ignorance of the subject, so next time don't even bother commenting... mooky9
  • Score: 0

8:32am Fri 18 May 12

mooky9 says...

The Salv wrote:
freemantlegirl2 wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote:
thesouth wrote: Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk. A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on. By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service
Well said. You have my support, unfortunately you wont have the governments until crime spirals out of control or a really horrific incident occurs. May needs to be ousted as soon as possible, but that wont happen while Cameroon is in power. She is supposed to be 'tough on crime' yet she cuts the police force, meaning less officers and less special units meaning criminals get away with more - how is that tough? Total DISGRACE.
couldn't agree more. Theresa May is arrogant and misguided - they say they want to be tough on crime - yet they want to see the breakdown of a world renowned police force. Disgraceful doesn't even begin to describe these actions. She got what she deserved yesterday, and there has already been headlines about our border controls, we are now going to see them with the Police. We have never seen scenes like this, ever. It is really worrying and of great concern to every single one of us.
Destroy the Police Force LOL I did have a rather big chickle etc etc etc usual rubbish that you would write as a response.
.
Where is the money going to come from, Labour spent spent spent and delivered promises they couldnt keep. Now the Tories have to pick up the mess and be the bad guys having to take the sweets away from the toothless children.
.
Enough with this rubbish about how the Police have a tough job, this is nothing but Elitism. As proven countless times on here before there are many people that work everyday in tough conditions, risking their lives and health so that people like you have a home to live in a car to drive and food on your table. Yes the Police do a good job, but so do countless others.
Just because something is your opinion doesn't make it a fact or proven for that matter. Everyone has an opinion, and is entitled to it. As I havesaid to you before lets hope you have to call the Police ad when G4s turn up instead to fill in a form whilst you get burgled or assaulted, then maybe you'll actually understand what people are worried about
[quote][p][bold]The Salv[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freemantlegirl2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Taskforce 141[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: Its not about police thinking they are special, its about police wanting to be recognised for what they do do, and not putting the public at risk. A lot of people dont know what daily life is like in the police. Its not just walking/driving around taking the odd report and having a presence.......try imagining what it is like to go to a child death in the morning, interview a rape victim in the afternoon (asking questions of that person most people couldnt even begin to imagin asking) and then going home 8 hours late because you cant just walk out at 'home time'....the next day you spend 8 hours viewing indecent images and videos of children. The next day you are supose to sit calmy across the room from the person who had those images and talk to them. You end up finishing at 0200 hrs and are expected back in for 0800 hours (so lets say about 3 hours sleep at a max) to carry the interview / investigation on. By the way there is no 'coffee break, lunch hour sat on a bench, its eat as you go if your lucky. Before you say this is me giving an OTT view...its not, its very real. So when we go through this day in day out, yes, we get angry that our some what average pay is being cut, our pensions are the highest at 10.5% and our working conditions are to be cut as this means too much workload and too little time which results in stress / sickness and mistakes....this will effect the level of service[/p][/quote]Well said. You have my support, unfortunately you wont have the governments until crime spirals out of control or a really horrific incident occurs. May needs to be ousted as soon as possible, but that wont happen while Cameroon is in power. She is supposed to be 'tough on crime' yet she cuts the police force, meaning less officers and less special units meaning criminals get away with more - how is that tough? Total DISGRACE.[/p][/quote]couldn't agree more. Theresa May is arrogant and misguided - they say they want to be tough on crime - yet they want to see the breakdown of a world renowned police force. Disgraceful doesn't even begin to describe these actions. She got what she deserved yesterday, and there has already been headlines about our border controls, we are now going to see them with the Police. We have never seen scenes like this, ever. It is really worrying and of great concern to every single one of us.[/p][/quote]Destroy the Police Force LOL I did have a rather big chickle etc etc etc usual rubbish that you would write as a response. . Where is the money going to come from, Labour spent spent spent and delivered promises they couldnt keep. Now the Tories have to pick up the mess and be the bad guys having to take the sweets away from the toothless children. . Enough with this rubbish about how the Police have a tough job, this is nothing but Elitism. As proven countless times on here before there are many people that work everyday in tough conditions, risking their lives and health so that people like you have a home to live in a car to drive and food on your table. Yes the Police do a good job, but so do countless others.[/p][/quote]Just because something is your opinion doesn't make it a fact or proven for that matter. Everyone has an opinion, and is entitled to it. As I havesaid to you before lets hope you have to call the Police ad when G4s turn up instead to fill in a form whilst you get burgled or assaulted, then maybe you'll actually understand what people are worried about mooky9
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree