Mum killed by airborne bug

Mum killed by airborne bug

Mum killed by airborne bug

First published in News

A MUM-of-five died after breathing in a rare airborne bug, an inquest heard.

Southampton Coroner’s Court heard how previously healthy teaching assistant Karen Cook, 41, was taken ill during a school outing to the New Forest.

She was taken to Southampton General Hospital after colleagues noticed she had a fever.

But during the night her condition worsened and she died the following morning.

Specialists found she had been overwhelmed by the bacterial infection pneumococcal sepsis, leading to organ failure, the court heard.

Pathologist Dr Adrian Bateman said: “It is very unusual. I suspect she breathed it in and the organism got into her blood. It may not be too obvious where you got it from, without any obvious contact.”

Southampton deputy coroner Gordon Denson, who recorded a verdict of death by natural causes, said: “It amazed me how quickly she deteriorated for somebody to all intents and purposes a fit woman.”

Mrs Cook, of Bridgemary Avenue, Gosport, was a teaching assistant at Newton Primary School.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree