When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Coroner will hear how Isabelle, 6, died on camping trip
7:44am Thursday 5th July 2012 in News
The full details of how a Hampshire schoolgirl died on a family camping trip to the New Forest will be revealed today.
Toxic fumes from a barbecue are believed to have poisoned six-year-old Isabelle Harris, from Gosport.
A inquest in Bournemouth today will hear how the youngster was on an Easter camping trip at Holmsley campsite with her family when she began “fitting and not breathing” in her tent.
Frantic attempts were made by her parents and paramedics to revive her, but she suffered a cardiac arrest on the way to hospital and died soon afterwards.
The youngster and her parents had a barbecue at the campsite, just hours before her death.
A post-mortem failed to reveal an exact cause of death.
Isabelle’s parents, Lee Harris, 30, and Tracey Harris, 40, were arrested on suspicion of murder but were released without charge later the same day.
After her death the couple released a heartfelt tribute to their daughter, saying she was a “really special girl”.
They said: “We are all absolutely devastated about what has happened.
“No words are strong enough to describe how we feel at the moment.
“Isabelle was our whole world; everything we ever did was for her.
“She was a really special girl and this is a huge loss to everyone who knew her.”