When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Bournemouth Coroner records verdict of accidental death for Isabelle Harris after incident at New Forest campsite
THE parents of a six-year-old tragically killed by fumes from a barbecue have today spoken of their devastation at her death.
Lee and Tracey Harris told of their loss after a coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death for their little girl, Isabelle, who died at a New Forest campsite after they put a barbecue in their tent to keep her warm.
Bournemouth Coroner’s Court heard the youngster died from carbon monoxide poisoning after inhaling toxic fumes.
In a statement released through Hampshire police, Mr and Mrs Harris, from Gosport, said: “Our lives have been devastated by the loss of Isabelle.
“It is difficult to put into words what the past few months have been like without her, and we are still trying to come to terms with our loss.
“We would like to give our thanks to everyone who has helped us since April, our friends and family for their constant and unwavering support, the emergency services and paramedics who tried to save Isabelle, the police for their ongoing support, and the owners of the campsite where we were staying.
“We hope that Isabelle’s death will act as a warning to others about the dangers of carbon monoxide. It is our sincere hope that no-one ever again has to go through what we have been through as a result.”
Isabelle was taken to Southampton General Hospital for treatment after the alarm was raised at Holmsley campsite, near Bransgore, by her distraught parents in the early hours, but was pronounced dead a short time later.
Police have today reissued warnings to the public about the dangers of taking a barbecue into a tent or confined space.
Speaking after the inquest, senior investigating officer, Detective Inspector John Geden said: “This is an extremely tragic case in which a six-year-old child lost her life during a family camping trip.
“The cause of her death has been determined as carbon monoxide poisoning through the inhalation of fumes from burning charcoal, emitted by the family’s barbecue.
“Isabelle was very much adored and cared for, and her loss is devastating to her parents and wider family.
“As we have heard today, Isabelle succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning after a coal briquette-fuelled barbecue was brought inside the family tent to keep her warm on a very cold night.
“Tragically, many are not aware of the significant risk from carbon monoxide this poses, and our message to all is a very simple one: please do not take barbecues indoors at all. If we can stop one more family from having to go through this terrible experience, then Isabelle’s death will not have been in vain.”