When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Duke of Edinburgh in hospital
3:58pm Wednesday 15th August 2012 in News
The Duke of Edinburgh has been taken to hospital ''as a precautionary measure'', Buckingham Palace said.
Philip was admitted to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary while staying at Balmoral with the Queen, a spokeswoman said.
Details of the reason for his hospitalisation were not available.
It comes two-and-a-half months after he spent five nights in hospital with a bladder infection following the Diamond Jubilee Pageant on the River Thames.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said Philip travelled to the hospital, about 40 miles away from Balmoral, by road.
The Duke went to Balmoral after attending a number of Olympics events, including granddaughter Zara Phillips' Olympic debut on July 29.
Whilst staying at the castle he has been visiting the Isle of Wight for the island's popular Cowes Week.
The spokesman added: ''He has been resident at the castle for a short while but whilst he has been there, he has also undertaken engagements on the Isle of Wight.''
The Duke appeared to be in good spirits as he took part in events as part of Cowes Week, in his role as Admiral and member of the Royal Yacht Squadron.
He viewed the racing in the Solent yesterday before attending a luncheon on board a yacht, the My Farragon, accompanied by the Lord-Lieutenant of the Isle of Wight, Major General Martin White.
On Monday, he had been at a luncheon held at Newport's Chamber of Commerce, then visited manufacturers A.J.Wells and Sons in the town before having dinner at the Pavilion in Cowes.
Comments are closed on this article.