When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Heroic duo defied smoke in bid to save Stan, 88
TWO heroic men risked their lives by entering a burning flat to rescue their elderly neighbour, an inquest has heard.
The flat of 88-year-old Stanley Moriarty, in Coach Road, Hamble , was engulfed in thick smoke and flames after he forgot about some toast he had been making.
Just after 12pm on Saturday, May 5, neighbours Ronald Bevis and Timothy Allen acted together to try to save the life of their elderly neighbour, with Mr Bevis helping to kick down the door as Mr Allen dropped to his knees to try to reach the pensioner. Giving evidence, Mr Bevis said: “Mr Allen was down on his knees like lightning. Then Mr Allen and I dragged Stan out.”
Mr Allen said: “I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and dragged him along as quickly as I could.
“I was just very concerned to get him into the fresh air and after a few moments he came round. I could see his tongue was totally black.”
Mr Moriarty was taken to hospital and appeared to be coping well, but his health later deteriorated and he was moved to intensive care at Southampton General Hospital.
The inquest heard that six days after the fire, and following consultation with Mr Moriarty’s son and a neighbour, doctors decided to withdraw intensive treatment, which they agreed was “prolonging his death, rather than his life”. Mr Moriarty was declared dead on May 11.
Giving evidence at the hearing, Sergeant Michael Sanderson, who attended the blaze, said: “Timothy Allen did something above and beyond.
I would like to put him forward for the Royal Life Savers Association.”
Recording a verdict of accidental death, deputy central Hampshire coroner Simon Burge commended the bravery of Mr Moriarty’s neighbours, saying: “Mr Allen’s conduct was brave, some might say heroic. It was certainly selfless.
“They were not to know that he would ultimately die from the smoke inhalation. Both of these individuals are recommended to the Royal Life Savers Association.”