One hungry Hampshire mum and daughter found something else green when they opened up their bag of salad - a live frog.

Mum-of-three Christina Carrington, who works as a health care manager, said she opened the bag of leaves before work and took a few for her lunch on the go.

But it wasn't until later that same evening her youngest daughter Daniela Toale made the slimy discovery.

The 20-year-old university student was preparing dinner while her 50-year-old mum was at a gym class when she caught sight of the croaky critter in the salad.

Christina, from Chandler's Ford , had bought the mixed leaf bag from Waitrose in Ringwood .

The frog had survived despite being trapped in the bag for more than 24 hours.

She said: “I am absolutely mortified to think I ate the leaves at lunch time when clearly the frog had been in the same bag. I feel repulsed.”

A spokesman from Waitrose, said: “We are very sorry for the distress caused. All our bagged salad is thoroughly washed and we have steps in place to check each product before packaging.

“Although this is an isolated incident, we're investigating with our suppliers how this happened and taking steps to minimise the chances of this happening again.”

She added that the frog was “fine” and the supermarket chain is seeking advice from the RSPCA on finding it a suitable home.