Motorcyclist Stephen Moon jailed for killing toddler Billie King on Hamble Lane in Bursledon

Billie King

Billie King

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

A MOTORCYCLIST was jailed for three years today for knocking down and killing a three-year-old girl in a Hampshire village.

Stephen Moon pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving after he raced down a 30mph stretch of Hamble Lane in Bursledon at nearly 50mph.

He hit little Billie King, who lived nearby, at 49mph as she crossed the road with her family from behind a queue of cars, at 7pm on March 1.

The toddler died at the scene, near the Tall Ship fish and chip shop.

Moon, 38, of Sopwith Road, Eastleigh, was handed a three-year jail sentence by Judge Guy Boney QC and banned from driving for three years.

He delivered the sentence at Winchester Crown Court in front of the girl's devastated parents.

Judge Boney said there were “no honeyed words” that could conceal the fact that Moon was driving at “not far short of 50mph” past a line of traffic on a dark, busy street.

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:19pm Wed 3 Oct 12

Over the Edge says...

Tragic for girls family, at least by pleading guilty Stephen Moon spared the family the ordeal of a trial.
Tragic for girls family, at least by pleading guilty Stephen Moon spared the family the ordeal of a trial. Over the Edge
  • Score: 0

5:53pm Wed 3 Oct 12

wossit says...

Out of interest how did they know his speed ? and so precise @ 49 mph
Out of interest how did they know his speed ? and so precise @ 49 mph wossit
  • Score: 0

6:06pm Wed 3 Oct 12

downfader says...

wossit wrote:
Out of interest how did they know his speed ? and so precise @ 49 mph
A certain amount of speed can be determined forensically. The investigators know how vehicles break apart and from what forces. They also know what forces it takes to do the extent of the damage seen to people.

If anything its a conservative estimate.

RIP. I hope the family can get some closure now.
[quote][p][bold]wossit[/bold] wrote: Out of interest how did they know his speed ? and so precise @ 49 mph[/p][/quote]A certain amount of speed can be determined forensically. The investigators know how vehicles break apart and from what forces. They also know what forces it takes to do the extent of the damage seen to people. If anything its a conservative estimate. RIP. I hope the family can get some closure now. downfader
  • Score: 0

6:33pm Wed 3 Oct 12

hedge end bob says...

Stephen Moon will live with this for the rest of his life. He was most certainly in the wrong to be doing that speed past a line of traffic in the dark, it's such a shame the little girls parents did'nt think to use the crossing not far from where it happened. It is always very very sad when someone so young is involved, once again my thoughts are with her parents at this very sad news item.

In Gods Keeping R I P.
Stephen Moon will live with this for the rest of his life. He was most certainly in the wrong to be doing that speed past a line of traffic in the dark, it's such a shame the little girls parents did'nt think to use the crossing not far from where it happened. It is always very very sad when someone so young is involved, once again my thoughts are with her parents at this very sad news item. In Gods Keeping R I P. hedge end bob
  • Score: 0

7:15pm Wed 3 Oct 12

downfader says...

hedge end bob wrote:
Stephen Moon will live with this for the rest of his life. He was most certainly in the wrong to be doing that speed past a line of traffic in the dark, it's such a shame the little girls parents did'nt think to use the crossing not far from where it happened. It is always very very sad when someone so young is involved, once again my thoughts are with her parents at this very sad news item.

In Gods Keeping R I P.
Knowing the area I fear he still would have been a problem. The crossing is sometimes also blocked by motorists keen to advance a few feet. He took too much of a chance, far too much.
[quote][p][bold]hedge end bob[/bold] wrote: Stephen Moon will live with this for the rest of his life. He was most certainly in the wrong to be doing that speed past a line of traffic in the dark, it's such a shame the little girls parents did'nt think to use the crossing not far from where it happened. It is always very very sad when someone so young is involved, once again my thoughts are with her parents at this very sad news item. In Gods Keeping R I P.[/p][/quote]Knowing the area I fear he still would have been a problem. The crossing is sometimes also blocked by motorists keen to advance a few feet. He took too much of a chance, far too much. downfader
  • Score: 0

7:24pm Wed 3 Oct 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

I know that road quite well seeing as I've traveled it many times and if I'm not mistaken, the 30 limit applies just after the rail bridge but that road is notorious for speeding, especially late at night and there should, in my opinion, be a deterrent to stop people speeding from Tesco on Windhover roundabout, down to the bridge that crosses the river Hamble, though the prospect of hitting someone pulling out of one of many hidden drive ways, should be a deterrent enough but obviously not.
I know that road quite well seeing as I've traveled it many times and if I'm not mistaken, the 30 limit applies just after the rail bridge but that road is notorious for speeding, especially late at night and there should, in my opinion, be a deterrent to stop people speeding from Tesco on Windhover roundabout, down to the bridge that crosses the river Hamble, though the prospect of hitting someone pulling out of one of many hidden drive ways, should be a deterrent enough but obviously not. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

7:52pm Wed 3 Oct 12

MGRA says...

downfader wrote:
wossit wrote:
Out of interest how did they know his speed ? and so precise @ 49 mph
A certain amount of speed can be determined forensically. The investigators know how vehicles break apart and from what forces. They also know what forces it takes to do the extent of the damage seen to people.

If anything its a conservative estimate.

RIP. I hope the family can get some closure now.
they will get some closure.... but sadly they may ask themselves why they did not use the pedestrian crossing a few yards away... tiz the nature of us to reflect that way... Hopefully lives can be saved by this,,, idiots speed without thought or care for others, so reduce your risks.... use the crossings... its why they are there....
[quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wossit[/bold] wrote: Out of interest how did they know his speed ? and so precise @ 49 mph[/p][/quote]A certain amount of speed can be determined forensically. The investigators know how vehicles break apart and from what forces. They also know what forces it takes to do the extent of the damage seen to people. If anything its a conservative estimate. RIP. I hope the family can get some closure now.[/p][/quote]they will get some closure.... but sadly they may ask themselves why they did not use the pedestrian crossing a few yards away... tiz the nature of us to reflect that way... Hopefully lives can be saved by this,,, idiots speed without thought or care for others, so reduce your risks.... use the crossings... its why they are there.... MGRA
  • Score: 0

8:26pm Wed 3 Oct 12

Paul TS says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
I know that road quite well seeing as I've traveled it many times and if I'm not mistaken, the 30 limit applies just after the rail bridge but that road is notorious for speeding, especially late at night and there should, in my opinion, be a deterrent to stop people speeding from Tesco on Windhover roundabout, down to the bridge that crosses the river Hamble, though the prospect of hitting someone pulling out of one of many hidden drive ways, should be a deterrent enough but obviously not.
This accident happened on Hamble Lane, not Providence Hill to which you are reffering. Speed kills! RIP and thoughts to the family.at this time.
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: I know that road quite well seeing as I've traveled it many times and if I'm not mistaken, the 30 limit applies just after the rail bridge but that road is notorious for speeding, especially late at night and there should, in my opinion, be a deterrent to stop people speeding from Tesco on Windhover roundabout, down to the bridge that crosses the river Hamble, though the prospect of hitting someone pulling out of one of many hidden drive ways, should be a deterrent enough but obviously not.[/p][/quote]This accident happened on Hamble Lane, not Providence Hill to which you are reffering. Speed kills! RIP and thoughts to the family.at this time. Paul TS
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Wed 3 Oct 12

downfader says...

Paul TS wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
I know that road quite well seeing as I've traveled it many times and if I'm not mistaken, the 30 limit applies just after the rail bridge but that road is notorious for speeding, especially late at night and there should, in my opinion, be a deterrent to stop people speeding from Tesco on Windhover roundabout, down to the bridge that crosses the river Hamble, though the prospect of hitting someone pulling out of one of many hidden drive ways, should be a deterrent enough but obviously not.
This accident happened on Hamble Lane, not Providence Hill to which you are reffering. Speed kills! RIP and thoughts to the family.at this time.
There is a railway bridge on hamble lane, but further around past the roundabout and past Satchell Way (is it?) But yes, I think Ginger has it slightly confused, as do yourself - Oak Hill is where the railway bridge resides near the water.
[quote][p][bold]Paul TS[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: I know that road quite well seeing as I've traveled it many times and if I'm not mistaken, the 30 limit applies just after the rail bridge but that road is notorious for speeding, especially late at night and there should, in my opinion, be a deterrent to stop people speeding from Tesco on Windhover roundabout, down to the bridge that crosses the river Hamble, though the prospect of hitting someone pulling out of one of many hidden drive ways, should be a deterrent enough but obviously not.[/p][/quote]This accident happened on Hamble Lane, not Providence Hill to which you are reffering. Speed kills! RIP and thoughts to the family.at this time.[/p][/quote]There is a railway bridge on hamble lane, but further around past the roundabout and past Satchell Way (is it?) But yes, I think Ginger has it slightly confused, as do yourself - Oak Hill is where the railway bridge resides near the water. downfader
  • Score: 0

8:58pm Wed 3 Oct 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

downfader wrote:
Paul TS wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
I know that road quite well seeing as I've traveled it many times and if I'm not mistaken, the 30 limit applies just after the rail bridge but that road is notorious for speeding, especially late at night and there should, in my opinion, be a deterrent to stop people speeding from Tesco on Windhover roundabout, down to the bridge that crosses the river Hamble, though the prospect of hitting someone pulling out of one of many hidden drive ways, should be a deterrent enough but obviously not.
This accident happened on Hamble Lane, not Providence Hill to which you are reffering. Speed kills! RIP and thoughts to the family.at this time.
There is a railway bridge on hamble lane, but further around past the roundabout and past Satchell Way (is it?) But yes, I think Ginger has it slightly confused, as do yourself - Oak Hill is where the railway bridge resides near the water.
Yes, I do, sorry bout that but it doesn't change the fact that the guy shouldn't have been speeding.
[quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Paul TS[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: I know that road quite well seeing as I've traveled it many times and if I'm not mistaken, the 30 limit applies just after the rail bridge but that road is notorious for speeding, especially late at night and there should, in my opinion, be a deterrent to stop people speeding from Tesco on Windhover roundabout, down to the bridge that crosses the river Hamble, though the prospect of hitting someone pulling out of one of many hidden drive ways, should be a deterrent enough but obviously not.[/p][/quote]This accident happened on Hamble Lane, not Providence Hill to which you are reffering. Speed kills! RIP and thoughts to the family.at this time.[/p][/quote]There is a railway bridge on hamble lane, but further around past the roundabout and past Satchell Way (is it?) But yes, I think Ginger has it slightly confused, as do yourself - Oak Hill is where the railway bridge resides near the water.[/p][/quote]Yes, I do, sorry bout that but it doesn't change the fact that the guy shouldn't have been speeding. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

9:09pm Wed 3 Oct 12

Sotn Mec says...

Full Marks for pleading guilty to
speeding
Family must be looking for blame for not
walking a few extra feet to a light controlled crossing and holding a childs hand while crossing.
Very sad.
Full Marks for pleading guilty to speeding Family must be looking for blame for not walking a few extra feet to a light controlled crossing and holding a childs hand while crossing. Very sad. Sotn Mec
  • Score: 0

9:48pm Wed 3 Oct 12

Hedgendman says...

Thoughts to all concerned on both sides as each family will be going through an ordeal. ;-(
Thoughts to all concerned on both sides as each family will be going through an ordeal. ;-( Hedgendman
  • Score: 0

10:16pm Wed 3 Oct 12

drzgonzo says...

I went to school with Stephen Moon, and we were close friends until we were about 31, when we lost contact. I was really shocked when I heard about this from a mutual friend, as he was always a very sensible driver.

A moment of madness and stupidity I suppose.

I know he will be absolutely destroyed by this, as he has two children of his own, but he was stupid to do what he did, and he deserves his punishment.

I also really feel for the poor family of the little girl, I guess they must just think "what if?" every day.

He OBVIOUSLY shouldn't have been speeding, but they should have used the crossing, and as a result of these two factors, an innocent little girl is no longer with us.

RIP Billie.
I went to school with Stephen Moon, and we were close friends until we were about 31, when we lost contact. I was really shocked when I heard about this from a mutual friend, as he was always a very sensible driver. A moment of madness and stupidity I suppose. I know he will be absolutely destroyed by this, as he has two children of his own, but he was stupid to do what he did, and he deserves his punishment. I also really feel for the poor family of the little girl, I guess they must just think "what if?" every day. He OBVIOUSLY shouldn't have been speeding, but they should have used the crossing, and as a result of these two factors, an innocent little girl is no longer with us. RIP Billie. drzgonzo
  • Score: 0

10:47pm Wed 3 Oct 12

Huey says...

so sad
RIP little girl
so sad RIP little girl Huey
  • Score: 0

10:58pm Wed 3 Oct 12

St. Saint says...

Absolutely no blame in this apart from speed. Tragic accident. Billie and her family suffer because of a shortcut. Moon suffers due to a spontaneous, obviously misguided, urge-fulfilling moment. Neither could possibly imagine what would happen. Both will live with this for the rest of their lives. No silver lining.

Hopefully you read this story and learn not to blind it the next time you let loose. Time and a place, not Hamble Lane at 7.
Absolutely no blame in this apart from speed. Tragic accident. Billie and her family suffer because of a shortcut. Moon suffers due to a spontaneous, obviously misguided, urge-fulfilling moment. Neither could possibly imagine what would happen. Both will live with this for the rest of their lives. No silver lining. Hopefully you read this story and learn not to blind it the next time you let loose. Time and a place, not Hamble Lane at 7. St. Saint
  • Score: 0

9:19am Fri 5 Oct 12

Northlass says...

I think it's disgusting that you are all speculating and commenting when you know nothing about what happened! To try and place some of the blame with this girls family is shocking. I'd also like to add that her patents were not in fact at the accident, which is what this was. A horrible tragic accident. Her parents have been dignified and beyond brave throughout this whole ordeal and I think that a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss. If a court of law has laid the blame with Stephen Moon then that should be enough to make you all satisfied.
RIP Billie you were a gorgeous little star
I think it's disgusting that you are all speculating and commenting when you know nothing about what happened! To try and place some of the blame with this girls family is shocking. I'd also like to add that her patents were not in fact at the accident, which is what this was. A horrible tragic accident. Her parents have been dignified and beyond brave throughout this whole ordeal and I think that a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss. If a court of law has laid the blame with Stephen Moon then that should be enough to make you all satisfied. RIP Billie you were a gorgeous little star Northlass
  • Score: 0

2:37pm Fri 5 Oct 12

Jesus_02 says...

Its not their fault they didn’t use the crossing

I imagine that the family will think of every way possible to blame themselves, its human nature.

They have done nothing wrong in not using a crossing, its not against the law. Travelling at the speed limit is. Also speeding is a crime that we, as the general populous routinely dismiss. This should not be the case.

Also, I find the fact that the guy was a Motorcyclist irrelevant
Its not their fault they didn’t use the crossing I imagine that the family will think of every way possible to blame themselves, its human nature. They have done nothing wrong in not using a crossing, its not against the law. Travelling at the speed limit is. Also speeding is a crime that we, as the general populous routinely dismiss. This should not be the case. Also, I find the fact that the guy was a Motorcyclist irrelevant Jesus_02
  • Score: 0

5:01pm Fri 5 Oct 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

Jesus_02 wrote:
Its not their fault they didn’t use the crossing

I imagine that the family will think of every way possible to blame themselves, its human nature.

They have done nothing wrong in not using a crossing, its not against the law. Travelling at the speed limit is. Also speeding is a crime that we, as the general populous routinely dismiss. This should not be the case.

Also, I find the fact that the guy was a Motorcyclist irrelevant
Exactly, as a pedestrian, you're allowed to cross anywhere on almost any road (obviously even the brain dead have the common sense to not trying to cross a motorway or road like the A34 without a bridge or tunnel), whereas speed limits aren't just guidelines, they're law for public safety.
[quote][p][bold]Jesus_02[/bold] wrote: Its not their fault they didn’t use the crossing I imagine that the family will think of every way possible to blame themselves, its human nature. They have done nothing wrong in not using a crossing, its not against the law. Travelling at the speed limit is. Also speeding is a crime that we, as the general populous routinely dismiss. This should not be the case. Also, I find the fact that the guy was a Motorcyclist irrelevant[/p][/quote]Exactly, as a pedestrian, you're allowed to cross anywhere on almost any road (obviously even the brain dead have the common sense to not trying to cross a motorway or road like the A34 without a bridge or tunnel), whereas speed limits aren't just guidelines, they're law for public safety. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

2:07pm Mon 8 Oct 12

Philmac1980 says...

Sotn Mec wrote:
Full Marks for pleading guilty to speeding Family must be looking for blame for not walking a few extra feet to a light controlled crossing and holding a childs hand while crossing. Very sad.
Thank you for taking an interest and reading this story, however it would be much appreciated if all the facts were known before you commented.

The reason the family were crossing at that point was because the traffic in both directions had stopped to allow them to cross the road.

And as for the comment about holding the childs hand, again please be sure you know all facts before commenting. The childs hand was being held at all times when crossing the road as she was pulled from the hand of her Aunty.

And no the family are not looking for blame, the courts have placed the blame in the place where the blame lies........
[quote][p][bold]Sotn Mec[/bold] wrote: Full Marks for pleading guilty to speeding Family must be looking for blame for not walking a few extra feet to a light controlled crossing and holding a childs hand while crossing. Very sad.[/p][/quote]Thank you for taking an interest and reading this story, however it would be much appreciated if all the facts were known before you commented. The reason the family were crossing at that point was because the traffic in both directions had stopped to allow them to cross the road. And as for the comment about holding the childs hand, again please be sure you know all facts before commenting. The childs hand was being held at all times when crossing the road as she was pulled from the hand of her Aunty. And no the family are not looking for blame, the courts have placed the blame in the place where the blame lies........ Philmac1980
  • Score: 0

11:32pm Tue 16 Oct 12

sass says...

Custodian of the child is at fault. Had the vehicle been travelling at the speed limit the child would, sadly, still have died.

All the traffic had not stopped and it was wrong to assume it had, and swan across the road.
Custodian of the child is at fault. Had the vehicle been travelling at the speed limit the child would, sadly, still have died. All the traffic had not stopped and it was wrong to assume it had, and swan across the road. sass
  • Score: 0

8:56am Sat 20 Oct 12

Northlass says...

sass wrote:
Custodian of the child is at fault. Had the vehicle been travelling at the speed limit the child would, sadly, still have died.

All the traffic had not stopped and it was wrong to assume it had, and swan across the road.
Pretty sure if he was going at the speed limit he would have been a bit further back the road and nowhere near the family- who were once again- waved accross the road by stationary cars.
and if a court of law has convicted Mr Moon (who pleaded guilty) then maybe you should stop throwing around the blame.

As a side note, the daily echo should not allow people to comment on a families tragic loss and another families heartache as their relative is jailed. Try a bit of understanding daily echo
[quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: Custodian of the child is at fault. Had the vehicle been travelling at the speed limit the child would, sadly, still have died. All the traffic had not stopped and it was wrong to assume it had, and swan across the road.[/p][/quote]Pretty sure if he was going at the speed limit he would have been a bit further back the road and nowhere near the family- who were once again- waved accross the road by stationary cars. and if a court of law has convicted Mr Moon (who pleaded guilty) then maybe you should stop throwing around the blame. As a side note, the daily echo should not allow people to comment on a families tragic loss and another families heartache as their relative is jailed. Try a bit of understanding daily echo Northlass
  • Score: 0

1:54pm Wed 24 Oct 12

Philmac1980 says...

sass wrote:
Custodian of the child is at fault. Had the vehicle been travelling at the speed limit the child would, sadly, still have died. All the traffic had not stopped and it was wrong to assume it had, and swan across the road.
As Northlass says above:- the traffic was indeed stationary and the custodian of the child was waved across the road by the stationary vehicles on either side of the road at no stage did anyone "swan across the road". And if Mr Moon had been doing the speed limit and following the rules set in place by the highway code, he would have been nowhere near the family and would have himself been stationary at the back of the line of traffic. If this had happened Billie would today still be with her family and Mr Moon would still be at home with his and not serving a prison sentence for breaking the law and causing "Death by Dangerous driving". If a court of law can see the truth and act accordingly having all the facts gathered from a thorough investigation, maybe you should pay attention to those instead of speculating and making up your own facts.

I also agree that the Daily Echo as a newspaper should pay more attention to comments made on there website and ensure that only facts are published.
[quote][p][bold]sass[/bold] wrote: Custodian of the child is at fault. Had the vehicle been travelling at the speed limit the child would, sadly, still have died. All the traffic had not stopped and it was wrong to assume it had, and swan across the road.[/p][/quote]As Northlass says above:- the traffic was indeed stationary and the custodian of the child was waved across the road by the stationary vehicles on either side of the road at no stage did anyone "swan across the road". And if Mr Moon had been doing the speed limit and following the rules set in place by the highway code, he would have been nowhere near the family and would have himself been stationary at the back of the line of traffic. If this had happened Billie would today still be with her family and Mr Moon would still be at home with his and not serving a prison sentence for breaking the law and causing "Death by Dangerous driving". If a court of law can see the truth and act accordingly having all the facts gathered from a thorough investigation, maybe you should pay attention to those instead of speculating and making up your own facts. I also agree that the Daily Echo as a newspaper should pay more attention to comments made on there website and ensure that only facts are published. Philmac1980
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree