Continuing battle over McDonald's plan for Totton site

Daily Echo: McDonald's want to build on the Red Lion pub site McDonald's want to build on the Red Lion pub site

FAST food giant McDonald’s has another fight on its hands following its decision to resubmit plans for a restaurant and drive-thru.

Campaigners claim the site in Commercial Road, Totton, is the wrong place for a facility likely to generate a huge amount of traffic.

The land is on a sharp bend and critics say vehicles emerging from the proposed new complex are likely to be involved in accidents.

They are also unhappy at the possibility of a fast-food restaurant being built on a gateway site at the eastern entrance to Totton.

McDonald’s says the proposed development will create 65 jobs and inject new life into the area.

However, Totton and Eling Town Council objected to the original application earlier this year and is also expected to oppose the new scheme.

Councillor Di Brooks cited existing road safety problems, saying a building opposite the site jutted out, making it difficult for drivers leaving the railway station to see oncoming traffic.

Councillor Arthur Davis added: “It would be lovely to have more jobs but this is the wrong thing in the wrong place.

“The site is on a very nasty bend on the main road into Totton from Southampton. A McDonald’s there would be like an ants’ nest, with loads of people going in and out.

Let’s hope we can fight it off.”

Totton county councillor David Harrison said: “I’ve had more people contact me on this than any other subject in recent years.

“Most people who have responded to my surveys are against a new McDonald’s in Totton. They’ve expressed fears about traffic problems, litter and anti-social behaviour.”

The site used to be occupied by the Red Lion pub, which was destroyed by fire two years ago.

McDonald’s withdrew its original application after it attracted 84 objections. As reported in the Daily Echo, the company has now modified the scheme in a bid to satisfy New Forest District Council, which had criticised the design of the proposed development.

The new application includes improved pedestrian links with the town centre and an extra drive-thru lane to cut waiting times.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:52pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Zeo says...

Don't forget the school behind the land and their drive-way in and out of it, no one seems to of taken that into account. Perhaps ask for their views is well?
Don't forget the school behind the land and their drive-way in and out of it, no one seems to of taken that into account. Perhaps ask for their views is well? Zeo
  • Score: 0

3:00pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Totton Ric says...

Should be rebuilt as a Pub.
Should be rebuilt as a Pub. Totton Ric
  • Score: 0

3:12pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Shoong says...

Totton Ric wrote:
Should be rebuilt as a Pub.
Yeah, because it looks like the Red Lion was doing a roaring trade, judging by the picture.
[quote][p][bold]Totton Ric[/bold] wrote: Should be rebuilt as a Pub.[/p][/quote]Yeah, because it looks like the Red Lion was doing a roaring trade, judging by the picture. Shoong
  • Score: 0

3:20pm Thu 4 Oct 12

St Retford says...

Totton needs brightening up a bit. The council should commission some public art to sit in the space. Maybe a giant sculpture of Ronald McDonald in a head-on collision with HamBurglar. Their two cars are enmeshed into one deadly entity and the two of them lie sprawled across the floor with blood and puke and gerkins and strawberry milkshake spilled everwhere. Ronald's torso is ripped almost right open and you can see the layers of off-white fat spilling out across the litter-strewn tarmac.

I think that would serve as a fairly definitive 'no' on the part of the town planners.
Totton needs brightening up a bit. The council should commission some public art to sit in the space. Maybe a giant sculpture of Ronald McDonald in a head-on collision with HamBurglar. Their two cars are enmeshed into one deadly entity and the two of them lie sprawled across the floor with blood and puke and gerkins and strawberry milkshake spilled everwhere. Ronald's torso is ripped almost right open and you can see the layers of off-white fat spilling out across the litter-strewn tarmac. I think that would serve as a fairly definitive 'no' on the part of the town planners. St Retford
  • Score: 0

3:35pm Thu 4 Oct 12

justmyopion says...

i would rather have burger king instead plus everyone is going on about the sharp bend its been a nightmare getting out from train station for ages thats far more dangerous than the red lion site cause if not we will have flats there then lots of traffic typical council give them a backhand there used to it
i would rather have burger king instead plus everyone is going on about the sharp bend its been a nightmare getting out from train station for ages thats far more dangerous than the red lion site cause if not we will have flats there then lots of traffic typical council give them a backhand there used to it justmyopion
  • Score: 0

3:36pm Thu 4 Oct 12

SotonLad says...

The council don't want traffic pulling out so on that basis you can't have a restaurant, a pub, a school or anything with a car park.

NIMBYs, pathetic.
The council don't want traffic pulling out so on that basis you can't have a restaurant, a pub, a school or anything with a car park. NIMBYs, pathetic. SotonLad
  • Score: 0

4:01pm Thu 4 Oct 12

legod7 says...

Zeo wrote:
Don't forget the school behind the land and their drive-way in and out of it, no one seems to of taken that into account. Perhaps ask for their views is well?
I thought that the school was going to close down and all the pupils transferred to the new facility in Ringwood Road
[quote][p][bold]Zeo[/bold] wrote: Don't forget the school behind the land and their drive-way in and out of it, no one seems to of taken that into account. Perhaps ask for their views is well?[/p][/quote]I thought that the school was going to close down and all the pupils transferred to the new facility in Ringwood Road legod7
  • Score: 0

4:01pm Thu 4 Oct 12

wendy45 says...

well this just about sums totton up another fast food outlet to go on top of all the takeaways that are here, so will everyone oppose to costa coffee when that comes in, i dont think so. all the small traders are being pushed out of the area because the residents of totton dont use them but give them somewhere to waste there money then they are happy all totton will be in the future is 99p, asda and takeaways!!!! so open your eyes totton is this really what you want !!
well this just about sums totton up another fast food outlet to go on top of all the takeaways that are here, so will everyone oppose to costa coffee when that comes in, i dont think so. all the small traders are being pushed out of the area because the residents of totton dont use them but give them somewhere to waste there money then they are happy all totton will be in the future is 99p, asda and takeaways!!!! so open your eyes totton is this really what you want !! wendy45
  • Score: 0

4:05pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Zeo says...

legod7 wrote:
Zeo wrote:
Don't forget the school behind the land and their drive-way in and out of it, no one seems to of taken that into account. Perhaps ask for their views is well?
I thought that the school was going to close down and all the pupils transferred to the new facility in Ringwood Road
From what I've heard, that school is set to remain open as a secondary school for another 15 years also while the new one is for Primary aged kids.

It's just had a major refurbishment according to their site is well: http://www.forestpar
k.hants.sch.uk/PDF%2
0and%20WORD%20Docume
nts/News%20Letter/4.
9.12.pdf
[quote][p][bold]legod7[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Zeo[/bold] wrote: Don't forget the school behind the land and their drive-way in and out of it, no one seems to of taken that into account. Perhaps ask for their views is well?[/p][/quote]I thought that the school was going to close down and all the pupils transferred to the new facility in Ringwood Road[/p][/quote]From what I've heard, that school is set to remain open as a secondary school for another 15 years also while the new one is for Primary aged kids. It's just had a major refurbishment according to their site is well: http://www.forestpar k.hants.sch.uk/PDF%2 0and%20WORD%20Docume nts/News%20Letter/4. 9.12.pdf Zeo
  • Score: 0

4:13pm Thu 4 Oct 12

solomum says...

SotonLad wrote:
The council don't want traffic pulling out so on that basis you can't have a restaurant, a pub, a school or anything with a car park.

NIMBYs, pathetic.
The council and the residents do not want large amounts of traffic pulling into or out of the site due to it's position. It is not about Nimbyness, but the fact that it will cause traffic chaos. When the pub was there, the amount of traffic going in to it was minimal as most people do not drive to a pub. A drive thru is a traffic generator. I personally would like to see a really nice restaurant built there with landscaped grounds. This would also create jobs and would be easy on the eye as a gateway to Totton without creating constant traffic. I fear though that Mcdonalds will flash the cash and get what they want.
[quote][p][bold]SotonLad[/bold] wrote: The council don't want traffic pulling out so on that basis you can't have a restaurant, a pub, a school or anything with a car park. NIMBYs, pathetic.[/p][/quote]The council and the residents do not want large amounts of traffic pulling into or out of the site due to it's position. It is not about Nimbyness, but the fact that it will cause traffic chaos. When the pub was there, the amount of traffic going in to it was minimal as most people do not drive to a pub. A drive thru is a traffic generator. I personally would like to see a really nice restaurant built there with landscaped grounds. This would also create jobs and would be easy on the eye as a gateway to Totton without creating constant traffic. I fear though that Mcdonalds will flash the cash and get what they want. solomum
  • Score: 0

5:43pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Torchie1 says...

solomum wrote:
SotonLad wrote:
The council don't want traffic pulling out so on that basis you can't have a restaurant, a pub, a school or anything with a car park.

NIMBYs, pathetic.
The council and the residents do not want large amounts of traffic pulling into or out of the site due to it's position. It is not about Nimbyness, but the fact that it will cause traffic chaos. When the pub was there, the amount of traffic going in to it was minimal as most people do not drive to a pub. A drive thru is a traffic generator. I personally would like to see a really nice restaurant built there with landscaped grounds. This would also create jobs and would be easy on the eye as a gateway to Totton without creating constant traffic. I fear though that Mcdonalds will flash the cash and get what they want.
A really nice restaurant nestled up against the A36, suit persons interested in the regular trains flashing by on the main London to Weymouth line a few yards away accompanied by the roar of traffic on the four lane Totton bypass just beyond. What do you think its best features would be? The only business that could possibly survive in that awful location is a McDonald's, no-one else in the catering industry would touch it.
[quote][p][bold]solomum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SotonLad[/bold] wrote: The council don't want traffic pulling out so on that basis you can't have a restaurant, a pub, a school or anything with a car park. NIMBYs, pathetic.[/p][/quote]The council and the residents do not want large amounts of traffic pulling into or out of the site due to it's position. It is not about Nimbyness, but the fact that it will cause traffic chaos. When the pub was there, the amount of traffic going in to it was minimal as most people do not drive to a pub. A drive thru is a traffic generator. I personally would like to see a really nice restaurant built there with landscaped grounds. This would also create jobs and would be easy on the eye as a gateway to Totton without creating constant traffic. I fear though that Mcdonalds will flash the cash and get what they want.[/p][/quote]A really nice restaurant nestled up against the A36, suit persons interested in the regular trains flashing by on the main London to Weymouth line a few yards away accompanied by the roar of traffic on the four lane Totton bypass just beyond. What do you think its best features would be? The only business that could possibly survive in that awful location is a McDonald's, no-one else in the catering industry would touch it. Torchie1
  • Score: 0

6:35pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Totton Ric says...

Shoong wrote:
Totton Ric wrote: Should be rebuilt as a Pub.
Yeah, because it looks like the Red Lion was doing a roaring trade, judging by the picture.
Well yes it was up until then,Fri & Sat nights packed.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Totton Ric[/bold] wrote: Should be rebuilt as a Pub.[/p][/quote]Yeah, because it looks like the Red Lion was doing a roaring trade, judging by the picture.[/p][/quote]Well yes it was up until then,Fri & Sat nights packed. Totton Ric
  • Score: 0

8:36pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Saneman says...

C'mon, seriously, how many of these rechid eye-sore shoddy fast food junk shops do we need - you spit you're McDonald's meal out and it would hit the next one on the A33 into Southampton ...there's one at the roundabout for Tebourba Way, and another as you come in to West Quay!!!

A pub would be better or something else, and as someone rightly pointed out it's a gateway into Totton. I don't live there but I like Totton, let's not drag the place down further with yet another one of these. Who eats in these sh1t-holes... all locals should object!! ...Sorry for grump, just the double-arches won't be happy 'till there's one at every qtr mile!
C'mon, seriously, how many of these rechid eye-sore shoddy fast food junk shops do we need - you spit you're McDonald's meal out and it would hit the next one on the A33 into Southampton ...there's one at the roundabout for Tebourba Way, and another as you come in to West Quay!!! A pub would be better or something else, and as someone rightly pointed out it's a gateway into Totton. I don't live there but I like Totton, let's not drag the place down further with yet another one of these. Who eats in these sh1t-holes... all locals should object!! ...Sorry for grump, just the double-arches won't be happy 'till there's one at every qtr mile! Saneman
  • Score: 0

8:37pm Thu 4 Oct 12

solomum says...

Torchie1 wrote:
solomum wrote:
SotonLad wrote:
The council don't want traffic pulling out so on that basis you can't have a restaurant, a pub, a school or anything with a car park.

NIMBYs, pathetic.
The council and the residents do not want large amounts of traffic pulling into or out of the site due to it's position. It is not about Nimbyness, but the fact that it will cause traffic chaos. When the pub was there, the amount of traffic going in to it was minimal as most people do not drive to a pub. A drive thru is a traffic generator. I personally would like to see a really nice restaurant built there with landscaped grounds. This would also create jobs and would be easy on the eye as a gateway to Totton without creating constant traffic. I fear though that Mcdonalds will flash the cash and get what they want.
A really nice restaurant nestled up against the A36, suit persons interested in the regular trains flashing by on the main London to Weymouth line a few yards away accompanied by the roar of traffic on the four lane Totton bypass just beyond. What do you think its best features would be? The only business that could possibly survive in that awful location is a McDonald's, no-one else in the catering industry would touch it.
When the Red Lion was Henrys, it did a good trade. It has done a good trade as the Red Lion. There is no reason why a restaurant would not do the same. Once you are inside the building, the road and the train line would not be an issue. A drive through is not practical for this site.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]solomum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SotonLad[/bold] wrote: The council don't want traffic pulling out so on that basis you can't have a restaurant, a pub, a school or anything with a car park. NIMBYs, pathetic.[/p][/quote]The council and the residents do not want large amounts of traffic pulling into or out of the site due to it's position. It is not about Nimbyness, but the fact that it will cause traffic chaos. When the pub was there, the amount of traffic going in to it was minimal as most people do not drive to a pub. A drive thru is a traffic generator. I personally would like to see a really nice restaurant built there with landscaped grounds. This would also create jobs and would be easy on the eye as a gateway to Totton without creating constant traffic. I fear though that Mcdonalds will flash the cash and get what they want.[/p][/quote]A really nice restaurant nestled up against the A36, suit persons interested in the regular trains flashing by on the main London to Weymouth line a few yards away accompanied by the roar of traffic on the four lane Totton bypass just beyond. What do you think its best features would be? The only business that could possibly survive in that awful location is a McDonald's, no-one else in the catering industry would touch it.[/p][/quote]When the Red Lion was Henrys, it did a good trade. It has done a good trade as the Red Lion. There is no reason why a restaurant would not do the same. Once you are inside the building, the road and the train line would not be an issue. A drive through is not practical for this site. solomum
  • Score: 0

8:51pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Torchie1 says...

solomum wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
solomum wrote:
SotonLad wrote:
The council don't want traffic pulling out so on that basis you can't have a restaurant, a pub, a school or anything with a car park.

NIMBYs, pathetic.
The council and the residents do not want large amounts of traffic pulling into or out of the site due to it's position. It is not about Nimbyness, but the fact that it will cause traffic chaos. When the pub was there, the amount of traffic going in to it was minimal as most people do not drive to a pub. A drive thru is a traffic generator. I personally would like to see a really nice restaurant built there with landscaped grounds. This would also create jobs and would be easy on the eye as a gateway to Totton without creating constant traffic. I fear though that Mcdonalds will flash the cash and get what they want.
A really nice restaurant nestled up against the A36, suit persons interested in the regular trains flashing by on the main London to Weymouth line a few yards away accompanied by the roar of traffic on the four lane Totton bypass just beyond. What do you think its best features would be? The only business that could possibly survive in that awful location is a McDonald's, no-one else in the catering industry would touch it.
When the Red Lion was Henrys, it did a good trade. It has done a good trade as the Red Lion. There is no reason why a restaurant would not do the same. Once you are inside the building, the road and the train line would not be an issue. A drive through is not practical for this site.
A Financial Times report listed sixteen pubs closing down every week in the six months prior to the January 2012 article so pubs clearly aren't the choice for this site especially with the burnt out remains of the old one still there. Is it the ideal location for a completely new building housing a restaurant that isn't really in the best location for the sort of prices that would be charged in order to pay for it? McDonalds has closed branches in the UK but this is so rare that it warrants a newspaper article because people are still prepared to buy cheap takeaway food in spite of the economic climate. I think you are facing an uphill struggle if the Council want to recoup some easy revenue from this site.
[quote][p][bold]solomum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]solomum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SotonLad[/bold] wrote: The council don't want traffic pulling out so on that basis you can't have a restaurant, a pub, a school or anything with a car park. NIMBYs, pathetic.[/p][/quote]The council and the residents do not want large amounts of traffic pulling into or out of the site due to it's position. It is not about Nimbyness, but the fact that it will cause traffic chaos. When the pub was there, the amount of traffic going in to it was minimal as most people do not drive to a pub. A drive thru is a traffic generator. I personally would like to see a really nice restaurant built there with landscaped grounds. This would also create jobs and would be easy on the eye as a gateway to Totton without creating constant traffic. I fear though that Mcdonalds will flash the cash and get what they want.[/p][/quote]A really nice restaurant nestled up against the A36, suit persons interested in the regular trains flashing by on the main London to Weymouth line a few yards away accompanied by the roar of traffic on the four lane Totton bypass just beyond. What do you think its best features would be? The only business that could possibly survive in that awful location is a McDonald's, no-one else in the catering industry would touch it.[/p][/quote]When the Red Lion was Henrys, it did a good trade. It has done a good trade as the Red Lion. There is no reason why a restaurant would not do the same. Once you are inside the building, the road and the train line would not be an issue. A drive through is not practical for this site.[/p][/quote]A Financial Times report listed sixteen pubs closing down every week in the six months prior to the January 2012 article so pubs clearly aren't the choice for this site especially with the burnt out remains of the old one still there. Is it the ideal location for a completely new building housing a restaurant that isn't really in the best location for the sort of prices that would be charged in order to pay for it? McDonalds has closed branches in the UK but this is so rare that it warrants a newspaper article because people are still prepared to buy cheap takeaway food in spite of the economic climate. I think you are facing an uphill struggle if the Council want to recoup some easy revenue from this site. Torchie1
  • Score: 0

10:25pm Thu 4 Oct 12

stuartjebbitt says...

Please god not another one of these vile places http://www.mccruelty
.com/why.aspx
Please god not another one of these vile places http://www.mccruelty .com/why.aspx stuartjebbitt
  • Score: 0

10:30pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

Is this on Commercial road? If it is then looking on google maps and its street view, I'd say the only reason people don't want it is because they don't want to slow down before the 50mph limit for the A35 because people are to lazy to lift their foot from the go pedal to press down on the stop pedal though I would have to agree on not wanting yet another one in or near Southampton, their "food" (if you can really call it that) is injustice as the burgers always assembled poorly and they falsely advertise how their burgers look in size, you get a big mac thinking it's going to be twice as big as a double cheeseburger, you open the box... It looks the same size as a double cheeseburger, also the "salad" in the burgers is always wilted, never fresh, on the other hand, McDonalds are ALWAYS recruiting because their business and management training is second to none and within a year, a crew member could become a branch manager but to be honest, I'd rather eat at burger king, they may be expensive but the chips are nice, fresh and crispy, the burgers are assembled as shown on the posters and the salad in the burgers is crisp and fresh (or at least much more so than McHeart attack) and the size of burgers is justice, it's like deciding whether to buy a cheap ready made sandwich with a bottle of drink and a snack or going to subway and eating a freshly made sandwich (including freshly made bread) that is made in front of you, with a drink that you can refill and a choice of a fresh baked cookie, fresh baked muffin or a bag of air with a few crisps, besides, at least if it was a burger king it would be too expensive for most school kids to buy.
Is this on Commercial road? If it is then looking on google maps and its street view, I'd say the only reason people don't want it is because they don't want to slow down before the 50mph limit for the A35 because people are to lazy to lift their foot from the go pedal to press down on the stop pedal though I would have to agree on not wanting yet another one in or near Southampton, their "food" (if you can really call it that) is injustice as the burgers always assembled poorly and they falsely advertise how their burgers look in size, you get a big mac thinking it's going to be twice as big as a double cheeseburger, you open the box... It looks the same size as a double cheeseburger, also the "salad" in the burgers is always wilted, never fresh, on the other hand, McDonalds are ALWAYS recruiting because their business and management training is second to none and within a year, a crew member could become a branch manager but to be honest, I'd rather eat at burger king, they may be expensive but the chips are nice, fresh and crispy, the burgers are assembled as shown on the posters and the salad in the burgers is crisp and fresh (or at least much more so than McHeart attack) and the size of burgers is justice, it's like deciding whether to buy a cheap ready made sandwich with a bottle of drink and a snack or going to subway and eating a freshly made sandwich (including freshly made bread) that is made in front of you, with a drink that you can refill and a choice of a fresh baked cookie, fresh baked muffin or a bag of air with a few crisps, besides, at least if it was a burger king it would be too expensive for most school kids to buy. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

11:29pm Thu 4 Oct 12

SotonGreen says...

Councillors are elected by a stupid 10% of population who are reactionary against anything. They are elected by old **** so they vote against stuff like this cos the old arts don't need jobs or a future.

This is just another example of NIMBYism that cripples our country.
Councillors are elected by a stupid 10% of population who are reactionary against anything. They are elected by old **** so they vote against stuff like this cos the old arts don't need jobs or a future. This is just another example of NIMBYism that cripples our country. SotonGreen
  • Score: 0

12:12am Fri 5 Oct 12

Torchie1 says...

SotonGreen wrote:
Councillors are elected by a stupid 10% of population who are reactionary against anything. They are elected by old **** so they vote against stuff like this cos the old arts don't need jobs or a future.

This is just another example of NIMBYism that cripples our country.
If the 10% that vote are the stupid ones who see their choice of Councilor making decisions, how would you describe the 90% that don't exercise their right to vote but sit at home whining about the outcome and moaning every day on the Echo website?
[quote][p][bold]SotonGreen[/bold] wrote: Councillors are elected by a stupid 10% of population who are reactionary against anything. They are elected by old **** so they vote against stuff like this cos the old arts don't need jobs or a future. This is just another example of NIMBYism that cripples our country.[/p][/quote]If the 10% that vote are the stupid ones who see their choice of Councilor making decisions, how would you describe the 90% that don't exercise their right to vote but sit at home whining about the outcome and moaning every day on the Echo website? Torchie1
  • Score: 0

10:58am Fri 5 Oct 12

Nutstrangler says...

Oh, goody ! We'll be able to have even more McRubbish scattered all over the town. It's bad enough already with all the McChavs jettisoning their detritus out of their windows as they drive along from either Ower or the other one at the foot of Tebourba Way, we don't need any more.
Oh, goody ! We'll be able to have even more McRubbish scattered all over the town. It's bad enough already with all the McChavs jettisoning their detritus out of their windows as they drive along from either Ower or the other one at the foot of Tebourba Way, we don't need any more. Nutstrangler
  • Score: 0

2:03pm Fri 5 Oct 12

Beer Monster says...

Wetherspoons anyone?
Wetherspoons anyone? Beer Monster
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree