Fears for future of green belt

Daily Echo: Eric Pickles Eric Pickles

FURIOUS environmental campaigners have criticised the Government’s claim that Hampshire’s green spaces are safe from developers.

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles dismissed fears of an “urban sprawl” under controversial planning reforms.

But his stance provoked anger from the leader of the Save Barton Farm Group, just days after Mr Pickles made the decision that clears the way for 2,000 homes to be built on the 200-acre green space near Winchester.

Gavin Blackman, chairman of the Save Barton Farm Group, said yesterday: “He either has not read the letter he signed last week or he is being very economical with the truth. He is contradicting himself with what he is saying and what he is doing. It is very hypocritical. He should practise what he preaches and not try to have it both ways.”

The Hampshire branch of the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England has said it is “horrified” at the proposed relaxation of planning rules, claiming cherished green spaces are under threat.

Mr Pickles told the Conservative Party conference: “Just as we want to change things, we also want to protect the good things – especially the environment.

“So we’ve introduced a new protection for valuable green spaces and have given councils new powers to stop unwanted garden grabbing.

“Now, there’s been a lot of press speculation in recent weeks on the green belt. Protecting the character of the countryside is stamped deep into the heart of Conservatism. And I want to be absolutely clear – the green belt plays a vital role in stopping urban sprawl – and we will protect it.”

Mr Pickles also pledged “very tough love” for vulnerable families who are dependent on the welfare state.

Cash has been set aside for trouble-shooters to work with more than 2,000 households across Hampshire and Southampton.

Mr Pickles said: “It’s not acceptable for parents to blow their benefits on booze or drugs.

“Or allow their kids to skip school and drift into crime. So we will work with families to provide the guidance and supervision that kids need.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:14am Wed 10 Oct 12

Lone Ranger. says...

NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition.
.
Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.
NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition. . Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence. Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

9:26am Wed 10 Oct 12

Andy Locks Heath says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition.
.
Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.
The NHS is not being destroyed LR - it is imploding under its own massive unmanageable size and its inability to innovate due to political scaremongering ("Hands off the NHS!") etc etc. Spending on the nHS today is higher than it has ever been and it just continues to grow even though service quality declines. It might be possible to make some improvements if the NHS was free of the sort of dogma that prevents sensible changes being made.
But this thread is about urban planning, not about the NHS ;-)
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition. . Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.[/p][/quote]The NHS is not being destroyed LR - it is imploding under its own massive unmanageable size and its inability to innovate due to political scaremongering ("Hands off the NHS!") etc etc. Spending on the nHS today is higher than it has ever been and it just continues to grow even though service quality declines. It might be possible to make some improvements if the NHS was free of the sort of dogma that prevents sensible changes being made. But this thread is about urban planning, not about the NHS ;-) Andy Locks Heath
  • Score: 0

9:51am Wed 10 Oct 12

Lone Ranger. says...

Andy Locks Heath wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition.
.
Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.
The NHS is not being destroyed LR - it is imploding under its own massive unmanageable size and its inability to innovate due to political scaremongering ("Hands off the NHS!") etc etc. Spending on the nHS today is higher than it has ever been and it just continues to grow even though service quality declines. It might be possible to make some improvements if the NHS was free of the sort of dogma that prevents sensible changes being made.
But this thread is about urban planning, not about the NHS ;-)
Well i think that you are the one distracted from the thread.
.
I simply stated that nothing was safe in the hands of the Tories and offered an exemple.
.
You have taken it further with NO reference to the tread at all
[quote][p][bold]Andy Locks Heath[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition. . Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.[/p][/quote]The NHS is not being destroyed LR - it is imploding under its own massive unmanageable size and its inability to innovate due to political scaremongering ("Hands off the NHS!") etc etc. Spending on the nHS today is higher than it has ever been and it just continues to grow even though service quality declines. It might be possible to make some improvements if the NHS was free of the sort of dogma that prevents sensible changes being made. But this thread is about urban planning, not about the NHS ;-)[/p][/quote]Well i think that you are the one distracted from the thread. . I simply stated that nothing was safe in the hands of the Tories and offered an exemple. . You have taken it further with NO reference to the tread at all Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

10:38am Wed 10 Oct 12

Georgem says...

To listen to some of these people, you'd think this sceptred isle was almost entirely covered in concrete, with one small field left at one end. 88% green fields, thankyouverymuch. I think we can afford a little more.
To listen to some of these people, you'd think this sceptred isle was almost entirely covered in concrete, with one small field left at one end. 88% green fields, thankyouverymuch. I think we can afford a little more. Georgem
  • Score: 0

10:52am Wed 10 Oct 12

ohec says...

Anybody would think they were intending to build on the last piece of greenland in the country, instead only a very small proportion of the country is built on. Its the NIMBY brigade who are frightened their property might be devalued or they might have nowhere to walk the dog.
Without being rude may i ask where you expect people to live ? yes our country has been allowed to become overpopulated but our children and our children's children need housing too, and don't say brownfield sites in cities because apart from the fact there aren't enough many people have no wish to live in cities the same as most of these NIMBY's who chose to live on the periphery of towns well you have had your turn now its somebody else's turn.
Anybody would think they were intending to build on the last piece of greenland in the country, instead only a very small proportion of the country is built on. Its the NIMBY brigade who are frightened their property might be devalued or they might have nowhere to walk the dog. Without being rude may i ask where you expect people to live ? yes our country has been allowed to become overpopulated but our children and our children's children need housing too, and don't say brownfield sites in cities because apart from the fact there aren't enough many people have no wish to live in cities the same as most of these NIMBY's who chose to live on the periphery of towns well you have had your turn now its somebody else's turn. ohec
  • Score: 0

11:54am Wed 10 Oct 12

Shoong says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition.
.
Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.
That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment.

Must be something wrong with it.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition. . Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.[/p][/quote]That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment. Must be something wrong with it. Shoong
  • Score: 0

2:10pm Wed 10 Oct 12

Lone Ranger. says...

Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition.
.
Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.
That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment.

Must be something wrong with it.
No nothing wrong with it ........ Just You
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition. . Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.[/p][/quote]That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment. Must be something wrong with it.[/p][/quote]No nothing wrong with it ........ Just You Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

2:42pm Wed 10 Oct 12

Shoong says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition.
.
Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.
That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment.

Must be something wrong with it.
No nothing wrong with it ........ Just You
Really? Pointing out the obvious when all you can do is bang on about the NHS which in a completely unrelated article?

Yeah, your right, it is me.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition. . Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.[/p][/quote]That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment. Must be something wrong with it.[/p][/quote]No nothing wrong with it ........ Just You[/p][/quote]Really? Pointing out the obvious when all you can do is bang on about the NHS which in a completely unrelated article? Yeah, your right, it is me. Shoong
  • Score: 0

3:16pm Wed 10 Oct 12

Lone Ranger. says...

Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition.
.
Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.
That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment.

Must be something wrong with it.
No nothing wrong with it ........ Just You
Really? Pointing out the obvious when all you can do is bang on about the NHS which in a completely unrelated article?

Yeah, your right, it is me.
Purely used NHS as an example.
.
I know that as a Tory you really dont like being reminded of your party's failures and incompetence but i am afraid that it is fact.
.
And as i pointed out to another poster .. i used the NHS as an example of things not being safe in the Tories hands.
.
Sometimes it would be as well to read the posts before you drop your snidey remarks in ....... Just an observation
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition. . Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.[/p][/quote]That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment. Must be something wrong with it.[/p][/quote]No nothing wrong with it ........ Just You[/p][/quote]Really? Pointing out the obvious when all you can do is bang on about the NHS which in a completely unrelated article? Yeah, your right, it is me.[/p][/quote]Purely used NHS as an example. . I know that as a Tory you really dont like being reminded of your party's failures and incompetence but i am afraid that it is fact. . And as i pointed out to another poster .. i used the NHS as an example of things not being safe in the Tories hands. . Sometimes it would be as well to read the posts before you drop your snidey remarks in ....... Just an observation Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

3:30pm Wed 10 Oct 12

Shoong says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition.
.
Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.
That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment.

Must be something wrong with it.
No nothing wrong with it ........ Just You
Really? Pointing out the obvious when all you can do is bang on about the NHS which in a completely unrelated article?

Yeah, your right, it is me.
Purely used NHS as an example.
.
I know that as a Tory you really dont like being reminded of your party's failures and incompetence but i am afraid that it is fact.
.
And as i pointed out to another poster .. i used the NHS as an example of things not being safe in the Tories hands.
.
Sometimes it would be as well to read the posts before you drop your snidey remarks in ....... Just an observation
Snidey?

Yes, ok, whatever you say.

Of course, your comments weren't.

I might be a 'Tory', but I know hypocrites when I seem them.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition. . Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.[/p][/quote]That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment. Must be something wrong with it.[/p][/quote]No nothing wrong with it ........ Just You[/p][/quote]Really? Pointing out the obvious when all you can do is bang on about the NHS which in a completely unrelated article? Yeah, your right, it is me.[/p][/quote]Purely used NHS as an example. . I know that as a Tory you really dont like being reminded of your party's failures and incompetence but i am afraid that it is fact. . And as i pointed out to another poster .. i used the NHS as an example of things not being safe in the Tories hands. . Sometimes it would be as well to read the posts before you drop your snidey remarks in ....... Just an observation[/p][/quote]Snidey? Yes, ok, whatever you say. Of course, your comments weren't. I might be a 'Tory', but I know hypocrites when I seem them. Shoong
  • Score: 0

4:30pm Wed 10 Oct 12

Lone Ranger. says...

Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition.
.
Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.
That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment.

Must be something wrong with it.
No nothing wrong with it ........ Just You
Really? Pointing out the obvious when all you can do is bang on about the NHS which in a completely unrelated article?

Yeah, your right, it is me.
Purely used NHS as an example.
.
I know that as a Tory you really dont like being reminded of your party's failures and incompetence but i am afraid that it is fact.
.
And as i pointed out to another poster .. i used the NHS as an example of things not being safe in the Tories hands.
.
Sometimes it would be as well to read the posts before you drop your snidey remarks in ....... Just an observation
Snidey?

Yes, ok, whatever you say.

Of course, your comments weren't.

I might be a 'Tory', but I know hypocrites when I seem them.
I am sure that you look in your mirror quite often then ....... Go on have a look tonight .... The hypocrite will be right there in front of you looking back
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: NOTHING is "safe" in the hands of the Tory led coalition. . Why are people so naive that they even believe it ....... You only have to look at the destruction of the NHS for evidence.[/p][/quote]That's odd, CTRL + F on my 'pooter doesn't find the text 'NHS' until it comes to you comment. Must be something wrong with it.[/p][/quote]No nothing wrong with it ........ Just You[/p][/quote]Really? Pointing out the obvious when all you can do is bang on about the NHS which in a completely unrelated article? Yeah, your right, it is me.[/p][/quote]Purely used NHS as an example. . I know that as a Tory you really dont like being reminded of your party's failures and incompetence but i am afraid that it is fact. . And as i pointed out to another poster .. i used the NHS as an example of things not being safe in the Tories hands. . Sometimes it would be as well to read the posts before you drop your snidey remarks in ....... Just an observation[/p][/quote]Snidey? Yes, ok, whatever you say. Of course, your comments weren't. I might be a 'Tory', but I know hypocrites when I seem them.[/p][/quote]I am sure that you look in your mirror quite often then ....... Go on have a look tonight .... The hypocrite will be right there in front of you looking back Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree