Southampton's Ford Transit factory only produces 200 extra vans

Daily Echo: Transit vans at Southampton Docks Transit vans at Southampton Docks

JUST 200 extra Transit vans have been built at Southampton’s giant Ford factory as a result of the Governments' scrappage scheme, it has been revealed.

In total the £400m Government investment has seen an extra 1,000 of the vans bought – but only one-fifth of those has been made in the city.

The rest have been made at Ford factories in Germany, Thailand and Turkey, the company confirmed.

The figures come as workers prepare for a second production shutdown of two weeks from October 19 to 30.

Union boss Nick Chaffey said the news would hit those on the shop floor hard. He said: “It is a race to the bottom and workers must be feeling nervous.

After all, the last time they were put on downtime the workforce was halved.

“For a long time we have felt Ford have an exit plan to leave the UK and 200 extra Transits isn’t going to change this.’’

However, Ford bosses denied there were any planned job cuts and said the scrappage scheme would protect Southampton jobs.

Thomas Fischer, Southampton plant manager, said: “This week’s scrappage scheme renewal is an important move which inspires consumer and business confidence, as well as bringing good news for van manufactures.

“It is the cue for Ford to build on the 1,000 extra vans sold to scrappage to date, which is positive for the environment, safety and Ford Southampton jobs.”

The first signs of question marks over the plant came last year when the Daily Echo exclusively published a leaked memo which revealed the factory’s future was under review.

After pressure from the paper the motor giant later confirmed it had plans to cut jobs, slash production and export production of the iconic Transit.

Related links

What is the scrappage scheme?

LAUNCHED earlier this year, the scheme offered a £2,000 discount on new vehicles when motorists trade in vehicles that are more than 10 years old.

It initially had £300m of Government funding.

This was upped by a further £100m last week and the rules amended so commercial vehicles only eight years old qualified under the scheme.

Of the £2,000 given to the motorist, £1,000 comes from the Treasury and £1,000 from the car companies.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:04am Tue 6 Oct 09

Sceptic15 says...

Have been Build?? How do you guys keep your jobs?
Have been Build?? How do you guys keep your jobs? Sceptic15

10:39am Tue 6 Oct 09

AdrianSmith says...

Sceptic15 wrote:
Have been Build?? How do you guys keep your jobs?
Probably because most people don't care about small typing errors, unless they have nothing else going on in their lives.
[quote][p][bold]Sceptic15[/bold] wrote: Have been Build?? How do you guys keep your jobs?[/p][/quote]Probably because most people don't care about small typing errors, unless they have nothing else going on in their lives. AdrianSmith

11:39am Tue 6 Oct 09

southy says...

think about turning this factory into a co-op, then place a heavy anti-flooding tax on imported transits
think about turning this factory into a co-op, then place a heavy anti-flooding tax on imported transits southy

11:55am Tue 6 Oct 09

S Pance says...

The scrappage scheme only covers vehicles that are in private ownership, it does NOT cover commercially owned vehicles.

Thus, it is not really a surprise that only 200 extra vans have been sold.
The scrappage scheme only covers vehicles that are in private ownership, it does NOT cover commercially owned vehicles. Thus, it is not really a surprise that only 200 extra vans have been sold. S Pance

12:13pm Tue 6 Oct 09

southy says...

good point pance
good point pance southy

1:37pm Tue 6 Oct 09

Lone Ranger says...

S Pance wrote:
The scrappage scheme only covers vehicles that are in private ownership, it does NOT cover commercially owned vehicles. Thus, it is not really a surprise that only 200 extra vans have been sold.
You are quite right. So surely there cannot be too many commercially owned vans out there over 10 years old anyway...so there was only ever going to be relatively small numbers.
.
However 200 is much better than nothing
[quote][p][bold]S Pance[/bold] wrote: The scrappage scheme only covers vehicles that are in private ownership, it does NOT cover commercially owned vehicles. Thus, it is not really a surprise that only 200 extra vans have been sold.[/p][/quote]You are quite right. So surely there cannot be too many commercially owned vans out there over 10 years old anyway...so there was only ever going to be relatively small numbers. . However 200 is much better than nothing Lone Ranger

2:11pm Tue 6 Oct 09

Keith Oftergrass says...

I expect it is more a case of people not wanting shoddily built, poorly specified, overpriced rubbish when there are so many better offers available from the better manufacturers.
I wouldn't buy a Ford - and judging by the vehicles in their car parks not many Ford 'workers' do either, what does that tell you about their confidence in their own Companies products ????
I expect it is more a case of people not wanting shoddily built, poorly specified, overpriced rubbish when there are so many better offers available from the better manufacturers. I wouldn't buy a Ford - and judging by the vehicles in their car parks not many Ford 'workers' do either, what does that tell you about their confidence in their own Companies products ???? Keith Oftergrass

2:48pm Tue 6 Oct 09

Condor Man says...

On the radio they are offering trade ins for old vans in return for money off new Transits. I'd imagine most van drivers could not afford to buy a new van anyway, thus they drive 10 year old + vans.
On the radio they are offering trade ins for old vans in return for money off new Transits. I'd imagine most van drivers could not afford to buy a new van anyway, thus they drive 10 year old + vans. Condor Man

3:16pm Tue 6 Oct 09

Derek of Dibden Purlieu says...

southy wrote:
think about turning this factory into a co-op, then place a heavy anti-flooding tax on imported transits
The socialist dream of providing full employment by producing goods that nobody wants. In the same way the USSR churned out classics like the Trabant, the Zil, the Wartburg etc providing pieces of junk that simply occupied peoples time until the factory closed for the day. This is why the old USSR countries now embrace the western capitalist ideals. Or is this another lie spread by the same people that accused poor caring sharing Joe Stalin of murdering millions of his own socialist countrymen?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: think about turning this factory into a co-op, then place a heavy anti-flooding tax on imported transits[/p][/quote]The socialist dream of providing full employment by producing goods that nobody wants. In the same way the USSR churned out classics like the Trabant, the Zil, the Wartburg etc providing pieces of junk that simply occupied peoples time until the factory closed for the day. This is why the old USSR countries now embrace the western capitalist ideals. Or is this another lie spread by the same people that accused poor caring sharing Joe Stalin of murdering millions of his own socialist countrymen? Derek of Dibden Purlieu

4:25pm Tue 6 Oct 09

southy says...

Derek of Dibden Purlieu wrote:
southy wrote:
think about turning this factory into a co-op, then place a heavy anti-flooding tax on imported transits
The socialist dream of providing full employment by producing goods that nobody wants. In the same way the USSR churned out classics like the Trabant, the Zil, the Wartburg etc providing pieces of junk that simply occupied peoples time until the factory closed for the day. This is why the old USSR countries now embrace the western capitalist ideals. Or is this another lie spread by the same people that accused poor caring sharing Joe Stalin of murdering millions of his own socialist countrymen?
derek thats fine coming from some who thinks that the labour party was a communist party.
you really dont have a clue do you, for your information many of the old russian blocks are turning to socialism, they are all ready fed up if capitalism, the capitalist are that worried now in the old russian blocks that they are sending there thugs to go round and beat up or kill socialist leaders, in many of the old russian block counrtys, the only people that really want capitalism are the capitalist them selfs, but because there so few of them, they need the support so what do they do, sale the ordinary people lies, and give out the same old capitalist propaganda and if that dont work brainwash them.
stalin was not a socialist that for sure, thats why they call it stalinism, socialist dont go round killing lest of all other socialist, and stalin never killed or murdered millions of socialists, you be hard put by to go above a thousand but i would say a few thousands just to give the benefit of doubt, and has they are still going though records and talking to people in russia its begining to look like it is below thousand, so when you quote from capitalist propaganda please look up the history and recheck the the fact bring it up to date, because or your quoting is from what the once was head of the fbi (hoover) was saying back in late 50's early 60's
co-op the transit factory and when they made enough vans for that year, then they can make some other type of vehicle, it dont just have to make vans it can make other things to.
[quote][p][bold]Derek of Dibden Purlieu[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: think about turning this factory into a co-op, then place a heavy anti-flooding tax on imported transits[/p][/quote]The socialist dream of providing full employment by producing goods that nobody wants. In the same way the USSR churned out classics like the Trabant, the Zil, the Wartburg etc providing pieces of junk that simply occupied peoples time until the factory closed for the day. This is why the old USSR countries now embrace the western capitalist ideals. Or is this another lie spread by the same people that accused poor caring sharing Joe Stalin of murdering millions of his own socialist countrymen?[/p][/quote]derek thats fine coming from some who thinks that the labour party was a communist party. you really dont have a clue do you, for your information many of the old russian blocks are turning to socialism, they are all ready fed up if capitalism, the capitalist are that worried now in the old russian blocks that they are sending there thugs to go round and beat up or kill socialist leaders, in many of the old russian block counrtys, the only people that really want capitalism are the capitalist them selfs, but because there so few of them, they need the support so what do they do, sale the ordinary people lies, and give out the same old capitalist propaganda and if that dont work brainwash them. stalin was not a socialist that for sure, thats why they call it stalinism, socialist dont go round killing lest of all other socialist, and stalin never killed or murdered millions of socialists, you be hard put by to go above a thousand but i would say a few thousands just to give the benefit of doubt, and has they are still going though records and talking to people in russia its begining to look like it is below thousand, so when you quote from capitalist propaganda please look up the history and recheck the the fact bring it up to date, because or your quoting is from what the once was head of the fbi (hoover) was saying back in late 50's early 60's co-op the transit factory and when they made enough vans for that year, then they can make some other type of vehicle, it dont just have to make vans it can make other things to. southy

4:36pm Tue 6 Oct 09

southy says...

also derek if i remember rightly the wartburg was made in western germany, designed to be a cheap run about, the usa servicemen love them because they seem to go on for ever with little fuel.
and the trabant has a long history to has it was made in eastern germany but before WWII the trabant was part of the wartburg engineering factorys and had a name change when it started to produce cars again.
also derek if i remember rightly the wartburg was made in western germany, designed to be a cheap run about, the usa servicemen love them because they seem to go on for ever with little fuel. and the trabant has a long history to has it was made in eastern germany but before WWII the trabant was part of the wartburg engineering factorys and had a name change when it started to produce cars again. southy

5:36pm Tue 6 Oct 09

soton1980 says...

The Scrappage scheme should have been for UK built cars only. I can't believe that the UK Government subsidised foreign built cars... doesn't seem to make much sense as the only people it helps are the dealers.
The Scrappage scheme should have been for UK built cars only. I can't believe that the UK Government subsidised foreign built cars... doesn't seem to make much sense as the only people it helps are the dealers. soton1980

7:19pm Tue 6 Oct 09

Militant Ford Worker says...

Last year we ran a campaign to persuade the government to fund the £100 million needed to retool the Southampton for the next generation van and save local jobs. This was declined. We now discover the government has instead sent £320 million abroad to save foreign car workers jobs in Italy, France, Poland, Turkey. £20 million alone went to Korea.
Southampton built only built an extra 200 vans thanks to the scrappage scheme. That is one and half days work. However Ford was still rewarded with £14 million from the taxpayer for their foreign built cars despite having just sacked 500 at Southampton. Ford have taken taxpayers money for Transits and sent the orders abroad while laying off workers here while the government have spent Taxpayers money on worsening the UK Trade deficit by £320 million. Disgraceful.
Last year we ran a campaign to persuade the government to fund the £100 million needed to retool the Southampton for the next generation van and save local jobs. This was declined. We now discover the government has instead sent £320 million abroad to save foreign car workers jobs in Italy, France, Poland, Turkey. £20 million alone went to Korea. Southampton built only built an extra 200 vans thanks to the scrappage scheme. That is one and half days work. However Ford was still rewarded with £14 million from the taxpayer for their foreign built cars despite having just sacked 500 at Southampton. Ford have taken taxpayers money for Transits and sent the orders abroad while laying off workers here while the government have spent Taxpayers money on worsening the UK Trade deficit by £320 million. Disgraceful. Militant Ford Worker

7:39pm Tue 6 Oct 09

Derek of Dibden Purlieu says...

southy wrote:
Derek of Dibden Purlieu wrote:
southy wrote:
think about turning this factory into a co-op, then place a heavy anti-flooding tax on imported transits
The socialist dream of providing full employment by producing goods that nobody wants. In the same way the USSR churned out classics like the Trabant, the Zil, the Wartburg etc providing pieces of junk that simply occupied peoples time until the factory closed for the day. This is why the old USSR countries now embrace the western capitalist ideals. Or is this another lie spread by the same people that accused poor caring sharing Joe Stalin of murdering millions of his own socialist countrymen?
derek thats fine coming from some who thinks that the labour party was a communist party.
you really dont have a clue do you, for your information many of the old russian blocks are turning to socialism, they are all ready fed up if capitalism, the capitalist are that worried now in the old russian blocks that they are sending there thugs to go round and beat up or kill socialist leaders, in many of the old russian block counrtys, the only people that really want capitalism are the capitalist them selfs, but because there so few of them, they need the support so what do they do, sale the ordinary people lies, and give out the same old capitalist propaganda and if that dont work brainwash them.
stalin was not a socialist that for sure, thats why they call it stalinism, socialist dont go round killing lest of all other socialist, and stalin never killed or murdered millions of socialists, you be hard put by to go above a thousand but i would say a few thousands just to give the benefit of doubt, and has they are still going though records and talking to people in russia its begining to look like it is below thousand, so when you quote from capitalist propaganda please look up the history and recheck the the fact bring it up to date, because or your quoting is from what the once was head of the fbi (hoover) was saying back in late 50's early 60's
co-op the transit factory and when they made enough vans for that year, then they can make some other type of vehicle, it dont just have to make vans it can make other things to.
You're not often right but you're wrong again. Where does my information come from, it's not from Google where you get most of your rubbish from. The 'Stalin' figures are quoted from books written by Russians living in Russia and freely available. I deal with a Russian working for Rosoboron which is an official Russian Government body. Call them wrong and by implication you are accusing the Russian Government of lies and propaganda. You can't have it both ways.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Derek of Dibden Purlieu[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: think about turning this factory into a co-op, then place a heavy anti-flooding tax on imported transits[/p][/quote]The socialist dream of providing full employment by producing goods that nobody wants. In the same way the USSR churned out classics like the Trabant, the Zil, the Wartburg etc providing pieces of junk that simply occupied peoples time until the factory closed for the day. This is why the old USSR countries now embrace the western capitalist ideals. Or is this another lie spread by the same people that accused poor caring sharing Joe Stalin of murdering millions of his own socialist countrymen?[/p][/quote]derek thats fine coming from some who thinks that the labour party was a communist party. you really dont have a clue do you, for your information many of the old russian blocks are turning to socialism, they are all ready fed up if capitalism, the capitalist are that worried now in the old russian blocks that they are sending there thugs to go round and beat up or kill socialist leaders, in many of the old russian block counrtys, the only people that really want capitalism are the capitalist them selfs, but because there so few of them, they need the support so what do they do, sale the ordinary people lies, and give out the same old capitalist propaganda and if that dont work brainwash them. stalin was not a socialist that for sure, thats why they call it stalinism, socialist dont go round killing lest of all other socialist, and stalin never killed or murdered millions of socialists, you be hard put by to go above a thousand but i would say a few thousands just to give the benefit of doubt, and has they are still going though records and talking to people in russia its begining to look like it is below thousand, so when you quote from capitalist propaganda please look up the history and recheck the the fact bring it up to date, because or your quoting is from what the once was head of the fbi (hoover) was saying back in late 50's early 60's co-op the transit factory and when they made enough vans for that year, then they can make some other type of vehicle, it dont just have to make vans it can make other things to. [/p][/quote]You're not often right but you're wrong again. Where does my information come from, it's not from Google where you get most of your rubbish from. The 'Stalin' figures are quoted from books written by Russians living in Russia and freely available. I deal with a Russian working for Rosoboron which is an official Russian Government body. Call them wrong and by implication you are accusing the Russian Government of lies and propaganda. You can't have it both ways. Derek of Dibden Purlieu

7:44pm Tue 6 Oct 09

thesaint says...

Keith Oftergrass wrote:
I expect it is more a case of people not wanting shoddily built, poorly specified, overpriced rubbish when there are so many better offers available from the better manufacturers.
I wouldn't buy a Ford - and judging by the vehicles in their car parks not many Ford 'workers' do either, what does that tell you about their confidence in their own Companies products ????
are you from another planet..ford cars top the sales every month . the ford transit is the market leader in the uk by a mile and the top seller in europe,i expect with the downturn employers are hangin on to their transits because of top quality of the vans. what better manufacturers is their to rival fords .stick to your something you know about.
[quote][p][bold]Keith Oftergrass[/bold] wrote: I expect it is more a case of people not wanting shoddily built, poorly specified, overpriced rubbish when there are so many better offers available from the better manufacturers. I wouldn't buy a Ford - and judging by the vehicles in their car parks not many Ford 'workers' do either, what does that tell you about their confidence in their own Companies products ???? [/p][/quote]are you from another planet..ford cars top the sales every month . the ford transit is the market leader in the uk by a mile and the top seller in europe,i expect with the downturn employers are hangin on to their transits because of top quality of the vans. what better manufacturers is their to rival fords .stick to your something you know about. thesaint

7:48pm Tue 6 Oct 09

thesaint says...

Derek of Dibden Purlieu wrote:
southy wrote:
think about turning this factory into a co-op, then place a heavy anti-flooding tax on imported transits
The socialist dream of providing full employment by producing goods that nobody wants. In the same way the USSR churned out classics like the Trabant, the Zil, the Wartburg etc providing pieces of junk that simply occupied peoples time until the factory closed for the day. This is why the old USSR countries now embrace the western capitalist ideals. Or is this another lie spread by the same people that accused poor caring sharing Joe Stalin of murdering millions of his own socialist countrymen?
i think you will find that it was communism .
[quote][p][bold]Derek of Dibden Purlieu[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: think about turning this factory into a co-op, then place a heavy anti-flooding tax on imported transits[/p][/quote]The socialist dream of providing full employment by producing goods that nobody wants. In the same way the USSR churned out classics like the Trabant, the Zil, the Wartburg etc providing pieces of junk that simply occupied peoples time until the factory closed for the day. This is why the old USSR countries now embrace the western capitalist ideals. Or is this another lie spread by the same people that accused poor caring sharing Joe Stalin of murdering millions of his own socialist countrymen?[/p][/quote]i think you will find that it was communism . thesaint

11:18pm Tue 6 Oct 09

southy says...

Derek of Dibden Purlieu, so its the new russian government back books, the same russian government that approved a murder to be there prime minster, there are groups of people who are going though the paper work and asking familys direct, they even been finding so called missing people had died of old age in other countrys, and a few still alive else where in the world. and a very high number of those missing people died at the battle of stalingrad.
there is a list of known people that they know for definitely that died under stilin hands, and that only comes to 140 people so far, but it will be a few more years yet before they get though all the list, they only been doing it for 6 years going though the list one by one, but still 140 people mudered is 140 to many. ( you find the list in progress in the un)
i wonder if one day they start to do a search on how many was murdered by the british hand in the concenration camps in south africa, many familys died of starvation, and it was not full grown men, it was there wifes and kids that they done this to.
Derek of Dibden Purlieu, so its the new russian government back books, the same russian government that approved a murder to be there prime minster, there are groups of people who are going though the paper work and asking familys direct, they even been finding so called missing people had died of old age in other countrys, and a few still alive else where in the world. and a very high number of those missing people died at the battle of stalingrad. there is a list of known people that they know for definitely that died under stilin hands, and that only comes to 140 people so far, but it will be a few more years yet before they get though all the list, they only been doing it for 6 years going though the list one by one, but still 140 people mudered is 140 to many. ( you find the list in progress in the un) i wonder if one day they start to do a search on how many was murdered by the british hand in the concenration camps in south africa, many familys died of starvation, and it was not full grown men, it was there wifes and kids that they done this to. southy

11:24pm Tue 6 Oct 09

southy says...

i see derek you do not disagree on the wartburg and trabant you got that info wrong, and it looks like more info wrong. so will take it you been listen to, to much propaganda.
i see derek you do not disagree on the wartburg and trabant you got that info wrong, and it looks like more info wrong. so will take it you been listen to, to much propaganda. southy

12:29am Wed 7 Oct 09

stay local says...

southy wrote:
also derek if i remember rightly the wartburg was made in western germany, designed to be a cheap run about, the usa servicemen love them because they seem to go on for ever with little fuel. and the trabant has a long history to has it was made in eastern germany but before WWII the trabant was part of the wartburg engineering factorys and had a name change when it started to produce cars again.
Dear Southy as is often the case with your input it is simply wrong. You must remember that when you make simple statement that a plainly wrong it devalues any other comment you make as it appears you are a Walter Mitty character, unable to separate truth from fiction.

Both the Trabant and Wartburg cars were built in East Germany which was then part of the communist block. They were not popular as both relied on a two stroke engine, which meant you had to mix fuel and oil or the engine would seize.

As for the Trabant, the efficient cooperative run factory meant you could order your car and it would be available some 15 years later.

So much for the greater efficiency of the great Socialist republic!
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: also derek if i remember rightly the wartburg was made in western germany, designed to be a cheap run about, the usa servicemen love them because they seem to go on for ever with little fuel. and the trabant has a long history to has it was made in eastern germany but before WWII the trabant was part of the wartburg engineering factorys and had a name change when it started to produce cars again.[/p][/quote]Dear Southy as is often the case with your input it is simply wrong. You must remember that when you make simple statement that a plainly wrong it devalues any other comment you make as it appears you are a Walter Mitty character, unable to separate truth from fiction. Both the Trabant and Wartburg cars were built in East Germany which was then part of the communist block. They were not popular as both relied on a two stroke engine, which meant you had to mix fuel and oil or the engine would seize. As for the Trabant, the efficient cooperative run factory meant you could order your car and it would be available some 15 years later. So much for the greater efficiency of the great Socialist republic! stay local

1:24am Wed 7 Oct 09

southy says...

if i remeber rightly the wartburg was built in a town called eisenach, whitch was on the border of east and west germany,the car was named after the castle that over look the town. the factory later built the first opel cars. the old bmw factory is to the east of the town, whitch was handed over to the russias, but even so, like i said both was not russian, the trabant was built in zwickau and with over 3 million sold in 35 years your theory of waiting 15 years for a trabant dont hold water now do it.
if i remeber rightly the wartburg was built in a town called eisenach, whitch was on the border of east and west germany,the car was named after the castle that over look the town. the factory later built the first opel cars. the old bmw factory is to the east of the town, whitch was handed over to the russias, but even so, like i said both was not russian, the trabant was built in zwickau and with over 3 million sold in 35 years your theory of waiting 15 years for a trabant dont hold water now do it. southy

1:12pm Wed 7 Oct 09

southy says...

stay local i just check with an old boy, who was station in germany in the 50's, who has still got a wartburg in his garage, he lets his grandson drive it about now and again now. he bought it from a american serviceman who was being demob, he took his wartborg back to the factory, when he was just about to be demob, to get the driver side change over, the location of the wartburg factory is or was (general motor company now owns the factory where the wartburg was made) and is located on the west side of eisenach, whitch was a usa control sector.
it was the bmw factory that was on the wrong side of the east to west boundry, whitch was mark out by a river that ran though the valley, next to the town.
stay local i just check with an old boy, who was station in germany in the 50's, who has still got a wartburg in his garage, he lets his grandson drive it about now and again now. he bought it from a american serviceman who was being demob, he took his wartborg back to the factory, when he was just about to be demob, to get the driver side change over, the location of the wartburg factory is or was (general motor company now owns the factory where the wartburg was made) and is located on the west side of eisenach, whitch was a usa control sector. it was the bmw factory that was on the wrong side of the east to west boundry, whitch was mark out by a river that ran though the valley, next to the town. southy

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree