When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Lewis murder accused admits lying to police
A GANG member has admitted lying to police while he was being interviewed over the murder of a Southampton teenager.
The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told a court how he changed his version of events of the night Lewis Singleton was brutally stabbed to death.
Winchester Crown Court heard how the 17-year-old eventually admitted to officers that he had kicked Lewis as he lay defenceless on the ground - having earlier denied taking part in the attack.
"I was shocked," the youth told jurors. "I did not want to be linked to the incident. I did not want them to know I was involved."
The teenager is one of four accused of murdering Lewis Singleton in the early hours of March 31 last year.
Earlier, the court heard how he had swung a foot at 18-year-old Lewis at the end of the attack on Obelisk Road, Woolston.
Lewis escaped the scene of the fight but later died from injuries caused by five stab wounds.
Rikki Johnson, 19, of Honeysuckle Road, Bassett, Sercan Calik, 19, of Burgess Road, Bassett and two youths aged 16 and 17 deny murder and violent disorder.
A fifth gang member was never charged.