When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Lewis jury retires to consider verdicts
The jury in the trial of the youths accused of murdering Southampton teenager Lewis Singleton retired to consider its verdict today.
They retired at 10.10am after the judge had finished his summing up.
Yesterday the court heard that one of the youths accused of murdering Lewis had found himself in a situation not of his making and completely out of his control, a court heard.
In the final defence speech to the Winchester Crown Court trial, Michael Hubbard said there was no evidence against his client, who was only 15 years old at the time of the gang attack on March 31 last year.
Lewis, 18, died hours after being ambushed as he walked through the Woolston area of Southampton in the early hours of the morning.
"Of the four defendants, we have got one using a knife, one allegedly bringing the knife and another kicking (Lewis) afterwards. That's it," said Mr Hubbard, whose client cannot be named for legal reasons.
"There simply is no evidence (against my client). When you are in the company of older men and you see an older man who is fully in drink and there's a weapon in the car as (my client) thought he saw, you don't likely say excuse me can you stop the car, I don't want to go on any further'.
"There may be the capability to act with some bravado so as not to let the side down but inside they are feeling shocked and scared.
"(The two youngest defendants) were not in control."
Rikki Johnson, 18, of Honeysuckle Road, Bassett, Sercan Calik, 18, of Burgess Road, Bassett, and two youths who are now 16 and 17 all deny murder and a second charge of violent disorder.