Police and referee satisfied so Southampton v Sheffield Utd goes ahead

St Mary's Stadium

St Mary's Stadium

First published in News

SAINTS Championship clash with Sheffield United tonight has been given the all clear.

Following a pitch inspection shortly before midday, the tie was given the green light.

Police are satisfied that the area around the stadium will be safe enough for fans, and the referee is content that the pitch will be okay for the players.

Ground staff and some of the club’s full-time staff have been clearing the pitch throughout the morning.

With temperatures supposedly set to rise to four degrees Celsius, Saints were confident the snow and ice surrounding the stadium would thaw in time.

Kick-off is at 7:45pm.

Comments (66)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:00pm Mon 2 Feb 09

Invicta Saint says...

It won't be the pitch that will be the problem tomorrow night. The surrounding areas plus the roads that will be used by many will be the more likely problem. The Sheffield United website suggests an inspection at 09:00. If it goes ahead, what's the betting a new record low crowd will result? I really hope common sense will prevail and the game will be postponed.
It won't be the pitch that will be the problem tomorrow night. The surrounding areas plus the roads that will be used by many will be the more likely problem. The Sheffield United website suggests an inspection at 09:00. If it goes ahead, what's the betting a new record low crowd will result? I really hope common sense will prevail and the game will be postponed. Invicta Saint
  • Score: 0

8:26pm Mon 2 Feb 09

saint Compo says...

My email to the Club today:

The pitch may be playable but I hope the Club / match referee will also have regard to the safety of fans who have to travel some distance from the stadium to get to tomorrow's match.

I am a season ticket who lives in rural Hampshire near Winchester. My son, also a season ticket holder, has to drive down from London to home games. With icy roads forecast tomorrow, driving conditions are expected to be even more difficult and dangerous than today.

Dedicated fans like ourselves should not be encouraged to put their lives at risk just because the pitch can be made fit for play. We are the Club's customers and we expect fairness. Otherwise you risk losing our loyalty, especially when fans are strapped for cash and the team's performances (and off the field shenanigans) have been so testing of our patience.

I note that the Arsenal v Cardiff cup replay scheduled for tomorrow evening was called off this morning because fans will not be able to get to the game. I believe the same consideration for the welfare of fans should be shown to Saints supporters.

Should any fans meet with a serious accident on their way to the game, it may be on your consciences.
My email to the Club today: The pitch may be playable but I hope the Club / match referee will also have regard to the safety of fans who have to travel some distance from the stadium to get to tomorrow's match. I am a season ticket who lives in rural Hampshire near Winchester. My son, also a season ticket holder, has to drive down from London to home games. With icy roads forecast tomorrow, driving conditions are expected to be even more difficult and dangerous than today. Dedicated fans like ourselves should not be encouraged to put their lives at risk just because the pitch can be made fit for play. We are the Club's customers and we expect fairness. Otherwise you risk losing our loyalty, especially when fans are strapped for cash and the team's performances (and off the field shenanigans) have been so testing of our patience. I note that the Arsenal v Cardiff cup replay scheduled for tomorrow evening was called off this morning because fans will not be able to get to the game. I believe the same consideration for the welfare of fans should be shown to Saints supporters. Should any fans meet with a serious accident on their way to the game, it may be on your consciences. saint Compo
  • Score: 0

11:18pm Mon 2 Feb 09

seagullsaint says...

So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!!
So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!! seagullsaint
  • Score: 0

11:19pm Mon 2 Feb 09

seagullsaint says...

So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!!
So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!! seagullsaint
  • Score: 0

10:05am Tue 3 Feb 09

lewpylew says...

I hope the game is called off. The pitch may be ok but the safety of fans will be an issue. Icy paths and roads....surely not worth the risk?!
I hope the game is called off. The pitch may be ok but the safety of fans will be an issue. Icy paths and roads....surely not worth the risk?! lewpylew
  • Score: 0

10:39am Tue 3 Feb 09

Kate, Andover says...

Yeah, not sure if I fancy doing an 80-mile round trip from work to get to the game. But saying that, I don't wanna waste an already paid-for ticket.

Please SFC, do the decent thing.
Yeah, not sure if I fancy doing an 80-mile round trip from work to get to the game. But saying that, I don't wanna waste an already paid-for ticket. Please SFC, do the decent thing. Kate, Andover
  • Score: 0

10:55am Tue 3 Feb 09

brighton blade says...

As a Brighton Blades travelling to the game tonight by train am waiting to here if the game is still on - could be a nightmare journey if on.
As a Brighton Blades travelling to the game tonight by train am waiting to here if the game is still on - could be a nightmare journey if on. brighton blade
  • Score: 0

11:28am Tue 3 Feb 09

timjim says...

seagullsaint wrote:
So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!!
Why don't you support Brighton?
[quote][p][bold]seagullsaint[/bold] wrote: So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!![/p][/quote]Why don't you support Brighton? timjim
  • Score: 0

11:29am Tue 3 Feb 09

timjim says...

brighton blade wrote:
As a Brighton Blades travelling to the game tonight by train am waiting to here if the game is still on - could be a nightmare journey if on.
And you?
[quote][p][bold]brighton blade[/bold] wrote: As a Brighton Blades travelling to the game tonight by train am waiting to here if the game is still on - could be a nightmare journey if on.[/p][/quote]And you? timjim
  • Score: 0

11:29am Tue 3 Feb 09

Kate, Andover says...

It's not also what happens at 7.45pm, it's what's happening at chucking out time - are the roads going to be in a bad way at 10pm for people going home?

The temperature might get to 4 degrees C during the day but at 7.45pm it's bound to be nearer zero and at 10pm probably lower.

But I guess that's what the inspection will determine.
It's not also what happens at 7.45pm, it's what's happening at chucking out time - are the roads going to be in a bad way at 10pm for people going home? The temperature might get to 4 degrees C during the day but at 7.45pm it's bound to be nearer zero and at 10pm probably lower. But I guess that's what the inspection will determine. Kate, Andover
  • Score: 0

11:40am Tue 3 Feb 09

brighton blade says...

timjim wrote:
brighton blade wrote: As a Brighton Blades travelling to the game tonight by train am waiting to here if the game is still on - could be a nightmare journey if on.
And you?
Cos i come from Sheffield and work down here - also have you been to Withdean? -Missed the last couple of games at your place so this will be the first time there making it 76 grounds to see the Blades!
[quote][p][bold]timjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton blade[/bold] wrote: As a Brighton Blades travelling to the game tonight by train am waiting to here if the game is still on - could be a nightmare journey if on.[/p][/quote]And you?[/p][/quote]Cos i come from Sheffield and work down here - also have you been to Withdean? -Missed the last couple of games at your place so this will be the first time there making it 76 grounds to see the Blades! brighton blade
  • Score: 0

11:40am Tue 3 Feb 09

saint Compo says...

I've just called SFC to say that fans' travel difficulties should be taken into account and was told that they will be. Let's wait and see. I believe it would be irresponsible to encourage fans to venture out onto roads which are likely to be covered in black ice late tonight after the game.

Football clubs should remember that it's the fans who pay the wages and our loyalty should not be abused.
I've just called SFC to say that fans' travel difficulties should be taken into account and was told that they will be. Let's wait and see. I believe it would be irresponsible to encourage fans to venture out onto roads which are likely to be covered in black ice late tonight after the game. Football clubs should remember that it's the fans who pay the wages and our loyalty should not be abused. saint Compo
  • Score: 0

11:43am Tue 3 Feb 09

hedge end saint says...

To be honest, I think the game should be off, as the safety of the supporters should be a major consideration, and I also have to have symapthy with Sheff Utd loyal fans making the long journey and then trying to get home tonight (there are also a large number of Saints fans who make long journeys).

BUT....I would be very surprised if the club are even thinking along those lines, they will just be thinking about getting the pitch ready and getting the game on. Why? They will already be comitted to paying for policing, stewards, programmes, catering etc etc.....finances rule, fan safety comes a long way behind.

Perhaps I am being unfair, but the way fans are treated by this one time family club, I doubt it!
To be honest, I think the game should be off, as the safety of the supporters should be a major consideration, and I also have to have symapthy with Sheff Utd loyal fans making the long journey and then trying to get home tonight (there are also a large number of Saints fans who make long journeys). BUT....I would be very surprised if the club are even thinking along those lines, they will just be thinking about getting the pitch ready and getting the game on. Why? They will already be comitted to paying for policing, stewards, programmes, catering etc etc.....finances rule, fan safety comes a long way behind. Perhaps I am being unfair, but the way fans are treated by this one time family club, I doubt it! hedge end saint
  • Score: 0

12:03pm Tue 3 Feb 09

timjim says...

brighton blade wrote:
timjim wrote:
brighton blade wrote: As a Brighton Blades travelling to the game tonight by train am waiting to here if the game is still on - could be a nightmare journey if on.
And you?
Cos i come from Sheffield and work down here - also have you been to Withdean? -Missed the last couple of games at your place so this will be the first time there making it 76 grounds to see the Blades!
Hats off to you blade - 76 grounds to see your team! I am not sure that the saints have ever visited 76 other grounds! Did you ever make it to the dell?
[quote][p][bold]brighton blade[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]timjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brighton blade[/bold] wrote: As a Brighton Blades travelling to the game tonight by train am waiting to here if the game is still on - could be a nightmare journey if on.[/p][/quote]And you?[/p][/quote]Cos i come from Sheffield and work down here - also have you been to Withdean? -Missed the last couple of games at your place so this will be the first time there making it 76 grounds to see the Blades![/p][/quote]Hats off to you blade - 76 grounds to see your team! I am not sure that the saints have ever visited 76 other grounds! Did you ever make it to the dell? timjim
  • Score: 0

12:10pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Fides says...

Ah of course let's blame the weather on Lowe too.

If the game is playable then play it. No doubt there are United fans already on their way.

It looks like the only games not going ahead tonight are where the pitch is unplayable or in London (and that may be pitch related too). If Burnley, Bristol, Preston, Wednesday and Wolves can get their game played (let alone Torquay in the Blue Square Prem) then I think we should too.

Back in those good old days when we were 'a family club' (sic) games were called off not because the pitch wouldn't take a stud, but because it wouldn't take a pick axe.

I do agree about fans safety, but not sure how you draw the line. If it's safe to travel 100 miles by train but not by road? What about if it's safe to travel on the major roads but the little road I walk down to get to SMS is full of ice? I think we just have to leave it to the ref to say the pitch is OK and the health and safety experts ad the police to work out the rest.

Personally, I hope it's on but that's just 'cos I like watching Saints and I'm ready for another game.
Ah of course let's blame the weather on Lowe too. If the game is playable then play it. No doubt there are United fans already on their way. It looks like the only games not going ahead tonight are where the pitch is unplayable or in London (and that may be pitch related too). If Burnley, Bristol, Preston, Wednesday and Wolves can get their game played (let alone Torquay in the Blue Square Prem) then I think we should too. Back in those good old days when we were 'a family club' (sic) games were called off not because the pitch wouldn't take a stud, but because it wouldn't take a pick axe. I do agree about fans safety, but not sure how you draw the line. If it's safe to travel 100 miles by train but not by road? What about if it's safe to travel on the major roads but the little road I walk down to get to SMS is full of ice? I think we just have to leave it to the ref to say the pitch is OK and the health and safety experts ad the police to work out the rest. Personally, I hope it's on but that's just 'cos I like watching Saints and I'm ready for another game. Fides
  • Score: 0

12:15pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Fides says...

Fides wrote:
Ah of course let's blame the weather on Lowe too.

If the game is playable then play it. No doubt there are United fans already on their way.

It looks like the only games not going ahead tonight are where the pitch is unplayable or in London (and that may be pitch related too). If Burnley, Bristol, Preston, Wednesday and Wolves can get their game played (let alone Torquay in the Blue Square Prem) then I think we should too.

Back in those good old days when we were 'a family club' (sic) games were called off not because the pitch wouldn't take a stud, but because it wouldn't take a pick axe.

I do agree about fans safety, but not sure how you draw the line. If it's safe to travel 100 miles by train but not by road? What about if it's safe to travel on the major roads but the little road I walk down to get to SMS is full of ice? I think we just have to leave it to the ref to say the pitch is OK and the health and safety experts ad the police to work out the rest.

Personally, I hope it's on but that's just 'cos I like watching Saints and I'm ready for another game.
Blimey that was a coincidence. Waiting for that last comment to post the pitch and H&S inspection was completed and the match is on.

Let's hope the team warm us up again.
[quote][p][bold]Fides[/bold] wrote: Ah of course let's blame the weather on Lowe too. If the game is playable then play it. No doubt there are United fans already on their way. It looks like the only games not going ahead tonight are where the pitch is unplayable or in London (and that may be pitch related too). If Burnley, Bristol, Preston, Wednesday and Wolves can get their game played (let alone Torquay in the Blue Square Prem) then I think we should too. Back in those good old days when we were 'a family club' (sic) games were called off not because the pitch wouldn't take a stud, but because it wouldn't take a pick axe. I do agree about fans safety, but not sure how you draw the line. If it's safe to travel 100 miles by train but not by road? What about if it's safe to travel on the major roads but the little road I walk down to get to SMS is full of ice? I think we just have to leave it to the ref to say the pitch is OK and the health and safety experts ad the police to work out the rest. Personally, I hope it's on but that's just 'cos I like watching Saints and I'm ready for another game.[/p][/quote]Blimey that was a coincidence. Waiting for that last comment to post the pitch and H&S inspection was completed and the match is on. Let's hope the team warm us up again. Fides
  • Score: 0

12:20pm Tue 3 Feb 09

hedge end saint says...

Fides wrote:
Fides wrote: Ah of course let's blame the weather on Lowe too. If the game is playable then play it. No doubt there are United fans already on their way. It looks like the only games not going ahead tonight are where the pitch is unplayable or in London (and that may be pitch related too). If Burnley, Bristol, Preston, Wednesday and Wolves can get their game played (let alone Torquay in the Blue Square Prem) then I think we should too. Back in those good old days when we were 'a family club' (sic) games were called off not because the pitch wouldn't take a stud, but because it wouldn't take a pick axe. I do agree about fans safety, but not sure how you draw the line. If it's safe to travel 100 miles by train but not by road? What about if it's safe to travel on the major roads but the little road I walk down to get to SMS is full of ice? I think we just have to leave it to the ref to say the pitch is OK and the health and safety experts ad the police to work out the rest. Personally, I hope it's on but that's just 'cos I like watching Saints and I'm ready for another game.
Blimey that was a coincidence. Waiting for that last comment to post the pitch and H&S inspection was completed and the match is on. Let's hope the team warm us up again.
"Let's hope the team warm us up again".....I sincerely hope they do, Fides...I sincerely hope they do!

Now that the decision has been made, I just hope all fans, Saints and Sheff Utd, have a safe journey to and from the game tonight.
[quote][p][bold]Fides[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fides[/bold] wrote: Ah of course let's blame the weather on Lowe too. If the game is playable then play it. No doubt there are United fans already on their way. It looks like the only games not going ahead tonight are where the pitch is unplayable or in London (and that may be pitch related too). If Burnley, Bristol, Preston, Wednesday and Wolves can get their game played (let alone Torquay in the Blue Square Prem) then I think we should too. Back in those good old days when we were 'a family club' (sic) games were called off not because the pitch wouldn't take a stud, but because it wouldn't take a pick axe. I do agree about fans safety, but not sure how you draw the line. If it's safe to travel 100 miles by train but not by road? What about if it's safe to travel on the major roads but the little road I walk down to get to SMS is full of ice? I think we just have to leave it to the ref to say the pitch is OK and the health and safety experts ad the police to work out the rest. Personally, I hope it's on but that's just 'cos I like watching Saints and I'm ready for another game.[/p][/quote]Blimey that was a coincidence. Waiting for that last comment to post the pitch and H&S inspection was completed and the match is on. Let's hope the team warm us up again.[/p][/quote]"Let's hope the team warm us up again".....I sincerely hope they do, Fides...I sincerely hope they do! Now that the decision has been made, I just hope all fans, Saints and Sheff Utd, have a safe journey to and from the game tonight. hedge end saint
  • Score: 0

12:44pm Tue 3 Feb 09

robhythe says...

Its going to be the lowest ever gate at St Marys!! Hope there isnt any snow this eve cos its going to freeze before the game ends!
Its going to be the lowest ever gate at St Marys!! Hope there isnt any snow this eve cos its going to freeze before the game ends! robhythe
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Tue 3 Feb 09

saint Compo says...

Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential.

I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played.

This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season.

What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan.
Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential. I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played. This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season. What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan. saint Compo
  • Score: 0

12:53pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Ann Balref says...

saint Compo wrote:
Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential. I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played. This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season. What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan.
Get over yourself you big handbag!
"I don't like the weather so I'm taking my ball back neh neh neh neh neh"
Baby.
[quote][p][bold]saint Compo[/bold] wrote: Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential. I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played. This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season. What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan.[/p][/quote]Get over yourself you big handbag! "I don't like the weather so I'm taking my ball back neh neh neh neh neh" Baby. Ann Balref
  • Score: 0

1:00pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Rudd Gillett says...

I thought we would have not rushed to play this? If we lose and then fact we played one game more could give our relegation rivals a lift?
I thought we would have not rushed to play this? If we lose and then fact we played one game more could give our relegation rivals a lift? Rudd Gillett
  • Score: 0

1:00pm Tue 3 Feb 09

AndyAndrews says...

Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.
Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops. AndyAndrews
  • Score: 0

1:05pm Tue 3 Feb 09

mawhiteuk says...

i live near swindon , and so will be travelling 60 miles (one way ) to watch the saints tonight !! NO one is saying that anyone has to put there lives at risk !! i am coming as i want to . if you dont want to risk in in the weather then DONT !!! but not renewing your season ticket is helping who exactly ??? not the team that we support thats for sure !!
i live near swindon , and so will be travelling 60 miles (one way ) to watch the saints tonight !! NO one is saying that anyone has to put there lives at risk !! i am coming as i want to . if you dont want to risk in in the weather then DONT !!! but not renewing your season ticket is helping who exactly ??? not the team that we support thats for sure !! mawhiteuk
  • Score: 0

1:05pm Tue 3 Feb 09

homegrown says...

So the game is on, jolly good.
Will the virus be parading our latest superstar signing tonight.
What an amazing signing,surely on a par with Keegans transfer here when he was EUROPEAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR.
Thats what you get when those who clearly have not got a clue about football run this club.
So the game is on, jolly good. Will the virus be parading our latest superstar signing tonight. What an amazing signing,surely on a par with Keegans transfer here when he was EUROPEAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR. Thats what you get when those who clearly have not got a clue about football run this club. homegrown
  • Score: 0

1:09pm Tue 3 Feb 09

mawhiteuk says...

i hate rupert lowe as much as the next man . But avoiding st marys ?empty Seats ? ....the team that we have are young and weather we like it or hate it . They are the team that have to fight to keep us in the cahmpionship!!!...I feel that at the end of the season every saints fan should protest against lowe . But now we must support are team , empty seats etc arnt supporting our team at all ... If we show our support as fans and still go down then at least i can say i did my part ....can you ?
i hate rupert lowe as much as the next man . But avoiding st marys ?empty Seats ? ....the team that we have are young and weather we like it or hate it . They are the team that have to fight to keep us in the cahmpionship!!!...I feel that at the end of the season every saints fan should protest against lowe . But now we must support are team , empty seats etc arnt supporting our team at all ... If we show our support as fans and still go down then at least i can say i did my part ....can you ? mawhiteuk
  • Score: 0

1:13pm Tue 3 Feb 09

rednwhite1 says...

Bloody hell what is wrong with every one , yes weve had snow and its icy, conditions dangerous but blimey it aint end of the world, ive supported them all my life and ive been to worse games than this tonight at the dell. We were proud and brave not letting the weather stop us to going to games.You choose to go , ive a season ticket and id go even if it was hacking it down. Cmon fans be brave and get there safely.
Bloody hell what is wrong with every one , yes weve had snow and its icy, conditions dangerous but blimey it aint end of the world, ive supported them all my life and ive been to worse games than this tonight at the dell. We were proud and brave not letting the weather stop us to going to games.You choose to go , ive a season ticket and id go even if it was hacking it down. Cmon fans be brave and get there safely. rednwhite1
  • Score: 0

1:14pm Tue 3 Feb 09

F Fan says...

robhythe wrote:
Its going to be the lowest ever gate at St Marys!! Hope there isnt any snow this eve cos its going to freeze before the game ends!
Met office says 4 degrees centigrade until after midnight and not below 1 degree all night.
[quote][p][bold]robhythe[/bold] wrote: Its going to be the lowest ever gate at St Marys!! Hope there isnt any snow this eve cos its going to freeze before the game ends! [/p][/quote]Met office says 4 degrees centigrade until after midnight and not below 1 degree all night. F Fan
  • Score: 0

1:16pm Tue 3 Feb 09

F Fan says...

AndyAndrews wrote:
Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.
And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club
[quote][p][bold]AndyAndrews[/bold] wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.[/p][/quote]And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club F Fan
  • Score: 0

1:19pm Tue 3 Feb 09

mawhiteuk says...

IF YOU WANT TO STAY AWAY THEN WHO CARES !!! WE SHOULD BE THERE SUPPORTING OUR TEAM !!
IF YOU WANT TO STAY AWAY THEN WHO CARES !!! WE SHOULD BE THERE SUPPORTING OUR TEAM !! mawhiteuk
  • Score: 0

1:20pm Tue 3 Feb 09

homegrown says...

F Fan wrote:
AndyAndrews wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.
And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club
Wrong those who choice to stay away until that filth goes are not trying to destroy the club.
Theclub has ALREADY been destroyed by Lowe.
[quote][p][bold]F Fan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AndyAndrews[/bold] wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.[/p][/quote]And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club[/p][/quote]Wrong those who choice to stay away until that filth goes are not trying to destroy the club. Theclub has ALREADY been destroyed by Lowe. homegrown
  • Score: 0

1:20pm Tue 3 Feb 09

saint Compo says...

rednwhite1 wrote:
Bloody hell what is wrong with every one , yes weve had snow and its icy, conditions dangerous but blimey it aint end of the world, ive supported them all my life and ive been to worse games than this tonight at the dell. We were proud and brave not letting the weather stop us to going to games.You choose to go , ive a season ticket and id go even if it was hacking it down. Cmon fans be brave and get there safely.
I hope all those working people who go to tonight's match were also brave enough to get to work today!

I'm retired so have no worries in that regard!

Enjoy the game and cheer on the team to 3 points. I hope you all get home safely.

COYR
[quote][p][bold]rednwhite1[/bold] wrote: Bloody hell what is wrong with every one , yes weve had snow and its icy, conditions dangerous but blimey it aint end of the world, ive supported them all my life and ive been to worse games than this tonight at the dell. We were proud and brave not letting the weather stop us to going to games.You choose to go , ive a season ticket and id go even if it was hacking it down. Cmon fans be brave and get there safely.[/p][/quote]I hope all those working people who go to tonight's match were also brave enough to get to work today! I'm retired so have no worries in that regard! Enjoy the game and cheer on the team to 3 points. I hope you all get home safely. COYR saint Compo
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Redhat says...

saint Compo wrote:
Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential. I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played. This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season. What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan.
your loss!!

nobody is forcing you to go to the match 2nite,stop your whining and look at the posts of people above,who are driving 80+ miles - because THEY WANT TO!
[quote][p][bold]saint Compo[/bold] wrote: Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential. I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played. This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season. What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan.[/p][/quote]your loss!! nobody is forcing you to go to the match 2nite,stop your whining and look at the posts of people above,who are driving 80+ miles - because THEY WANT TO! Redhat
  • Score: 0

1:27pm Tue 3 Feb 09

mawhiteuk says...

Redhat wrote:
saint Compo wrote: Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential. I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played. This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season. What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan.
your loss!! nobody is forcing you to go to the match 2nite,stop your whining and look at the posts of people above,who are driving 80+ miles - because THEY WANT TO!
im doing a 120 mile round trip for the game tonight !! not one person has said i have too . its because i want to . I will support the team that are trying to keep us in the championship . It is the players that run out to empty seats , not lowe .. so stay away if you want who cares . But at least i can say i did my bit to support the team ... Lowe protests should come after the season the team need us know
[quote][p][bold]Redhat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saint Compo[/bold] wrote: Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential. I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played. This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season. What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan.[/p][/quote]your loss!! nobody is forcing you to go to the match 2nite,stop your whining and look at the posts of people above,who are driving 80+ miles - because THEY WANT TO![/p][/quote]im doing a 120 mile round trip for the game tonight !! not one person has said i have too . its because i want to . I will support the team that are trying to keep us in the championship . It is the players that run out to empty seats , not lowe .. so stay away if you want who cares . But at least i can say i did my bit to support the team ... Lowe protests should come after the season the team need us know mawhiteuk
  • Score: 0

1:27pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Tevez888 says...

Love the way people are moaning that the game is on but are probably the ones who have not gone to work and are running around chucking Snow Balls!
It is 1 o'clock and the Sun is shining!
What does it matter whether outside is white or clear? At the end of the day, the roads will have been driven on for the best part of 12hours by the time Kick Off comes!

Im not going to renew if the game goes ahead.......honestly
.....some people!
Get to the game and enjoy it! Or are you unhappy as you will miss Eastenders?!

If the Football had of been called off you would of then complained that our Stadium is a joke!
No win situation apart from those that will go tonight!

COYR's!
Love the way people are moaning that the game is on but are probably the ones who have not gone to work and are running around chucking Snow Balls! It is 1 o'clock and the Sun is shining! What does it matter whether outside is white or clear? At the end of the day, the roads will have been driven on for the best part of 12hours by the time Kick Off comes! Im not going to renew if the game goes ahead.......honestly .....some people! Get to the game and enjoy it! Or are you unhappy as you will miss Eastenders?! If the Football had of been called off you would of then complained that our Stadium is a joke! No win situation apart from those that will go tonight! COYR's! Tevez888
  • Score: 0

1:31pm Tue 3 Feb 09

mawhiteuk says...

all true saints fans will be there tonight supporting the team !! i understand that there will be people with genuine reasons who cant be there . But if its because your crying about Lowe or the snow ...I suggest that you buy a blue shirt , start supporting pompey or brighton !!! Our saints need support not whiningbabies !!
all true saints fans will be there tonight supporting the team !! i understand that there will be people with genuine reasons who cant be there . But if its because your crying about Lowe or the snow ...I suggest that you buy a blue shirt , start supporting pompey or brighton !!! Our saints need support not whiningbabies !! mawhiteuk
  • Score: 0

1:31pm Tue 3 Feb 09

F Fan says...

saint Compo wrote:
Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential. I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played. This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season. What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan.
May be wise to count to ten here. Not sure of my facts but I think that if the ref says its playable and the police don't object, then clubs must play the match - not thier choice.
[quote][p][bold]saint Compo[/bold] wrote: Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential. I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played. This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season. What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan.[/p][/quote]May be wise to count to ten here. Not sure of my facts but I think that if the ref says its playable and the police don't object, then clubs must play the match - not thier choice. F Fan
  • Score: 0

1:33pm Tue 3 Feb 09

F Fan says...

homegrown wrote:
So the game is on, jolly good. Will the virus be parading our latest superstar signing tonight. What an amazing signing,surely on a par with Keegans transfer here when he was EUROPEAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR. Thats what you get when those who clearly have not got a clue about football run this club.
You must be a Pompey plant. Condeming a new player before you have seen him.
[quote][p][bold]homegrown[/bold] wrote: So the game is on, jolly good. Will the virus be parading our latest superstar signing tonight. What an amazing signing,surely on a par with Keegans transfer here when he was EUROPEAN FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR. Thats what you get when those who clearly have not got a clue about football run this club.[/p][/quote]You must be a Pompey plant. Condeming a new player before you have seen him. F Fan
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Tue 3 Feb 09

mawhiteuk says...

IM GLAD ALL THE CRY BABIES ARE STAYING AWAY !! MORE PARKING FOR ME !! COYR
IM GLAD ALL THE CRY BABIES ARE STAYING AWAY !! MORE PARKING FOR ME !! COYR mawhiteuk
  • Score: 0

1:36pm Tue 3 Feb 09

seagullsaint says...

timjim wrote:
seagullsaint wrote: So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!!
Why don't you support Brighton?
Because I am born and bred in Southampton , and been a Saints fan since 1963.You think I should change teams because I change address ? You clearly have no idea of what it is like to be a football fan. I will be there tonight.
[quote][p][bold]timjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]seagullsaint[/bold] wrote: So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!![/p][/quote]Why don't you support Brighton?[/p][/quote]Because I am born and bred in Southampton , and been a Saints fan since 1963.You think I should change teams because I change address ? You clearly have no idea of what it is like to be a football fan. I will be there tonight. seagullsaint
  • Score: 0

1:36pm Tue 3 Feb 09

F Fan says...

homegrown wrote:
F Fan wrote:
AndyAndrews wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.
And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club
Wrong those who choice to stay away until that filth goes are not trying to destroy the club. Theclub has ALREADY been destroyed by Lowe.
I believe they have a place for people who are trying to destroy the Southampton team at Fraton Park. You and Lowe fit the bill nicely. Two of a kind.
[quote][p][bold]homegrown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]F Fan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AndyAndrews[/bold] wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.[/p][/quote]And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club[/p][/quote]Wrong those who choice to stay away until that filth goes are not trying to destroy the club. Theclub has ALREADY been destroyed by Lowe. [/p][/quote]I believe they have a place for people who are trying to destroy the Southampton team at Fraton Park. You and Lowe fit the bill nicely. Two of a kind. F Fan
  • Score: 0

1:58pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Minnesota Saint says...

Tevez888 wrote:
Love the way people are moaning that the game is on but are probably the ones who have not gone to work and are running around chucking Snow Balls! It is 1 o'clock and the Sun is shining! What does it matter whether outside is white or clear? At the end of the day, the roads will have been driven on for the best part of 12hours by the time Kick Off comes! Im not going to renew if the game goes ahead.......honestly .....some people! Get to the game and enjoy it! Or are you unhappy as you will miss Eastenders?! If the Football had of been called off you would of then complained that our Stadium is a joke! No win situation apart from those that will go tonight! COYR's!
Agree with you totally Tevez888. We have 3ft of snow and -20C out in MN but things carry on as normal.
I am in the country until Friday and wanted this game on, looking forward to seeing them pick up 4 points from my 2 games!
UTS.
[quote][p][bold]Tevez888[/bold] wrote: Love the way people are moaning that the game is on but are probably the ones who have not gone to work and are running around chucking Snow Balls! It is 1 o'clock and the Sun is shining! What does it matter whether outside is white or clear? At the end of the day, the roads will have been driven on for the best part of 12hours by the time Kick Off comes! Im not going to renew if the game goes ahead.......honestly .....some people! Get to the game and enjoy it! Or are you unhappy as you will miss Eastenders?! If the Football had of been called off you would of then complained that our Stadium is a joke! No win situation apart from those that will go tonight! COYR's![/p][/quote]Agree with you totally Tevez888. We have 3ft of snow and -20C out in MN but things carry on as normal. I am in the country until Friday and wanted this game on, looking forward to seeing them pick up 4 points from my 2 games! UTS. Minnesota Saint
  • Score: 0

2:00pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Bring Back The Dell says...

Rudd Gillett wrote:
I thought we would have not rushed to play this? If we lose and then fact we played one game more could give our relegation rivals a lift?
I disagree. For us we are on a bit of a run at the moment and when you are one of those, no matter how modest, you want the games to come thick and fast.
[quote][p][bold]Rudd Gillett[/bold] wrote: I thought we would have not rushed to play this? If we lose and then fact we played one game more could give our relegation rivals a lift? [/p][/quote]I disagree. For us we are on a bit of a run at the moment and when you are one of those, no matter how modest, you want the games to come thick and fast. Bring Back The Dell
  • Score: 0

2:04pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Bring Back The Dell says...

AndyAndrews wrote:
Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.
I think you give Lowe far too much credit. I don`t think he cares about anything to do with Saints enough to hate it, that would be a sign of passion and he certainly hasn`t got any of that when it comes to SFC.
Enjoy your coco in front of the radio tonight loyal supporter.
[quote][p][bold]AndyAndrews[/bold] wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.[/p][/quote]I think you give Lowe far too much credit. I don`t think he cares about anything to do with Saints enough to hate it, that would be a sign of passion and he certainly hasn`t got any of that when it comes to SFC. Enjoy your coco in front of the radio tonight loyal supporter. Bring Back The Dell
  • Score: 0

2:04pm Tue 3 Feb 09

timjim says...

seagullsaint wrote:
timjim wrote:
seagullsaint wrote: So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!!
Why don't you support Brighton?
Because I am born and bred in Southampton , and been a Saints fan since 1963.You think I should change teams because I change address ? You clearly have no idea of what it is like to be a football fan. I will be there tonight.
It's not a dig, just a question. Your somewhat bolshey reply could have ended at the first full stop, it would have explained everything. But no, you must go on and on and start with the old 'I'm a better fan than you, blah, blah,'
I hope you have a safe journey and hats off to you travelling all that way.
[quote][p][bold]seagullsaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]timjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]seagullsaint[/bold] wrote: So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!![/p][/quote]Why don't you support Brighton?[/p][/quote]Because I am born and bred in Southampton , and been a Saints fan since 1963.You think I should change teams because I change address ? You clearly have no idea of what it is like to be a football fan. I will be there tonight. [/p][/quote]It's not a dig, just a question. Your somewhat bolshey reply could have ended at the first full stop, it would have explained everything. But no, you must go on and on and start with the old 'I'm a better fan than you, blah, blah,' I hope you have a safe journey and hats off to you travelling all that way. timjim
  • Score: 0

2:22pm Tue 3 Feb 09

robhythe says...

F Fan wrote:
robhythe wrote: Its going to be the lowest ever gate at St Marys!! Hope there isnt any snow this eve cos its going to freeze before the game ends!
Met office says 4 degrees centigrade until after midnight and not below 1 degree all night.
That sounds good then! Ive got to make a round trip of around 50 miles to pick kids up etc! Will be lowest crowd tonight tho as some have a distance to go and its an evening game!
[quote][p][bold]F Fan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]robhythe[/bold] wrote: Its going to be the lowest ever gate at St Marys!! Hope there isnt any snow this eve cos its going to freeze before the game ends! [/p][/quote]Met office says 4 degrees centigrade until after midnight and not below 1 degree all night.[/p][/quote]That sounds good then! Ive got to make a round trip of around 50 miles to pick kids up etc! Will be lowest crowd tonight tho as some have a distance to go and its an evening game! robhythe
  • Score: 0

2:23pm Tue 3 Feb 09

robhythe says...

The police might say there is only 300 there tonight!!! lol
The police might say there is only 300 there tonight!!! lol robhythe
  • Score: 0

2:31pm Tue 3 Feb 09

The Exiled Saint says...

I fear I'll not be there tonight to cheer on the lads.

It's no longer snowing up here and the main roads are clear. However, it's forecast to freeze this evening and as we wont get back until after midnight I really dont fancy the 200 mile return trip on icy roads.

Couldn't help but notice one or two Saints supporters being a little dismissive of those of us who no longer live in the Hampshire area. There a plenty of saints season ticket holders who travel to each game home from Cheshire, Cardiff, Kent, Lancashire, London, Norfolk, Yorkshire and Wales. Plus a great many of those attend the away games as well.

Perhaps that's why we were silent at the FA Cup tie against Manchester United when someone started "We support our local team"! :-)
I fear I'll not be there tonight to cheer on the lads. It's no longer snowing up here and the main roads are clear. However, it's forecast to freeze this evening and as we wont get back until after midnight I really dont fancy the 200 mile return trip on icy roads. Couldn't help but notice one or two Saints supporters being a little dismissive of those of us who no longer live in the Hampshire area. There a plenty of saints season ticket holders who travel to each game home from Cheshire, Cardiff, Kent, Lancashire, London, Norfolk, Yorkshire and Wales. Plus a great many of those attend the away games as well. Perhaps that's why we were silent at the FA Cup tie against Manchester United when someone started "We support our local team"! :-) The Exiled Saint
  • Score: 0

2:51pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Ocean Village resident says...

Do you guys always fight among yourselves?
Can I be there when you all run at each other on Britannia Road clutching bills with postcodes and gnarled season tickets from the 50s?
Do you guys always fight among yourselves? Can I be there when you all run at each other on Britannia Road clutching bills with postcodes and gnarled season tickets from the 50s? Ocean Village resident
  • Score: 0

3:14pm Tue 3 Feb 09

homegrown says...

F Fan wrote:
homegrown wrote:
F Fan wrote:
AndyAndrews wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.
And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club
Wrong those who choice to stay away until that filth goes are not trying to destroy the club. Theclub has ALREADY been destroyed by Lowe.
I believe they have a place for people who are trying to destroy the Southampton team at Fraton Park. You and Lowe fit the bill nicely. Two of a kind.
And l believe that you are talking complete and utter rubbish.
Lowe has destroyed are club with middle class fans like you who continue to bury their heads in the sand as to the problem.
Ive been to every home game this season,l aint going no more, the football is completely crap and one win in 14 at home just aint good enough im affraid.
I accepted that we were going down after the Forest game,maybe you should do the same.

[quote][p][bold]F Fan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]homegrown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]F Fan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AndyAndrews[/bold] wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.[/p][/quote]And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club[/p][/quote]Wrong those who choice to stay away until that filth goes are not trying to destroy the club. Theclub has ALREADY been destroyed by Lowe. [/p][/quote]I believe they have a place for people who are trying to destroy the Southampton team at Fraton Park. You and Lowe fit the bill nicely. Two of a kind.[/p][/quote]And l believe that you are talking complete and utter rubbish. Lowe has destroyed are club with middle class fans like you who continue to bury their heads in the sand as to the problem. Ive been to every home game this season,l aint going no more, the football is completely crap and one win in 14 at home just aint good enough im affraid. I accepted that we were going down after the Forest game,maybe you should do the same. homegrown
  • Score: 0

3:29pm Tue 3 Feb 09

saint Compo says...

Redhat wrote:
saint Compo wrote: Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential. I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played. This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season. What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan.
your loss!! nobody is forcing you to go to the match 2nite,stop your whining and look at the posts of people above,who are driving 80+ miles - because THEY WANT TO!
In the Echo this afternoon:

MOTORISTS using the M27 are facing long delays this afternoon following a crash involving nine cars.

The cars all came off the motorway in hazardous driving conditions on the westbound carriageway between junctions five and seven at West End shortly after 12.30pm.

Two lanes of the motorway had to be closed for the vehicles to be recovered, leading to three miles of queuing traffic.

Seven of the cars had to be towed away from the scene. The other two could be driven away.

Nobody was seriously injured, but an off-duty paramedic attended the scene and treated two people for minor injuries.

Further west along the M27, at junction five for Eastleigh, another two cars collided, adding to delays for drivers. Nobody was injured in this collision.

QED

[quote][p][bold]Redhat[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]saint Compo[/bold] wrote: Further to my earlier posts, I am angry at the decision to go ahead with this game. As I write, it is snowing heavily near Winchester, where I live. The pitch may be OK and the roads and pavements may be certified OK around the stadium. However, fans who have some distance to travel should not put their lives at risk. We are being told only to travel if our journeys are essential. I have called SFC and have been told that the FA's criteria have been met for the match to be played. This is how the Club and the FA treat football fans. I have therefore told SFC that I will not be renewing my 2 season tickets next season. What a disappointing way to have to bid farewell to Saints after more than 50 years as a loyal fan.[/p][/quote]your loss!! nobody is forcing you to go to the match 2nite,stop your whining and look at the posts of people above,who are driving 80+ miles - because THEY WANT TO![/p][/quote]In the Echo this afternoon: MOTORISTS using the M27 are facing long delays this afternoon following a crash involving nine cars. The cars all came off the motorway in hazardous driving conditions on the westbound carriageway between junctions five and seven at West End shortly after 12.30pm. Two lanes of the motorway had to be closed for the vehicles to be recovered, leading to three miles of queuing traffic. Seven of the cars had to be towed away from the scene. The other two could be driven away. Nobody was seriously injured, but an off-duty paramedic attended the scene and treated two people for minor injuries. Further west along the M27, at junction five for Eastleigh, another two cars collided, adding to delays for drivers. Nobody was injured in this collision. QED saint Compo
  • Score: 0

3:53pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Thorshammer says...

I missed 1 game once in the eighties,
my motor was all over the place and average speeds were 20 mph.
I did not blame the Club for the weather in Surrey nor did I expect them to cancell it just for me.
If you are scared to go outside then don't bother.I'll be there even if I have to come in my Longship. Sec word burn-wish
I missed 1 game once in the eighties, my motor was all over the place and average speeds were 20 mph. I did not blame the Club for the weather in Surrey nor did I expect them to cancell it just for me. If you are scared to go outside then don't bother.I'll be there even if I have to come in my Longship. Sec word burn-wish Thorshammer
  • Score: 0

3:53pm Tue 3 Feb 09

mawhiteuk says...

homegrown wrote:
F Fan wrote:
homegrown wrote:
F Fan wrote:
AndyAndrews wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.
And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club
Wrong those who choice to stay away until that filth goes are not trying to destroy the club. Theclub has ALREADY been destroyed by Lowe.
I believe they have a place for people who are trying to destroy the Southampton team at Fraton Park. You and Lowe fit the bill nicely. Two of a kind.
And l believe that you are talking complete and utter rubbish. Lowe has destroyed are club with middle class fans like you who continue to bury their heads in the sand as to the problem. Ive been to every home game this season,l aint going no more, the football is completely crap and one win in 14 at home just aint good enough im affraid. I accepted that we were going down after the Forest game,maybe you should do the same.
well go support someone else then , and leave us "middle class" people to support the team we always have and always will . .true fans
[quote][p][bold]homegrown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]F Fan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]homegrown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]F Fan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AndyAndrews[/bold] wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.[/p][/quote]And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club[/p][/quote]Wrong those who choice to stay away until that filth goes are not trying to destroy the club. Theclub has ALREADY been destroyed by Lowe. [/p][/quote]I believe they have a place for people who are trying to destroy the Southampton team at Fraton Park. You and Lowe fit the bill nicely. Two of a kind.[/p][/quote]And l believe that you are talking complete and utter rubbish. Lowe has destroyed are club with middle class fans like you who continue to bury their heads in the sand as to the problem. Ive been to every home game this season,l aint going no more, the football is completely crap and one win in 14 at home just aint good enough im affraid. I accepted that we were going down after the Forest game,maybe you should do the same. [/p][/quote]well go support someone else then , and leave us "middle class" people to support the team we always have and always will . .true fans mawhiteuk
  • Score: 0

3:54pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Costa Baz says...

As much as I sympathise with supporters that have to travel any sort of distance to watch the Saints, on potentially icy roads, you have to consider other factors as well.

In the first instance football is a winter sport, therefore there will be occasions when you have to make a choice. Do you go or do you stay at home.

Secondly, where do you draw the line, with regards to the dangerous road conditions?
What would the reaction be if SMS was basking in temperatures of 9C and not a snow flake in sight, but Sheffield Utd asked for a postponement because the road conditions they would have to drive through in Yorkshire were dangerous, due to snow and ice?

If you call this game off because of dangerous roads, you are opening up the possibility of the above scenario being raised by a team who might like their game cancelled for other reasons, e.g. lengthy injury list.

My hope is that the Sheffield Utd players will have the same attitude as those who won't go tonight, because of the cold.
A bad attitude from them may be the best chance we have of getting 3 points, especially given their away record.

I remember title chasing, Everton coming to the Dell, one cold winter's day, expecting the game to be called off.
It wasn't, they were gutted and played like they didn't want to get hurt and we came away with 3 points we might otherwise not have won, had the game been played in better conditions.

As much as I sympathise with supporters that have to travel any sort of distance to watch the Saints, on potentially icy roads, you have to consider other factors as well. In the first instance football is a winter sport, therefore there will be occasions when you have to make a choice. Do you go or do you stay at home. Secondly, where do you draw the line, with regards to the dangerous road conditions? What would the reaction be if SMS was basking in temperatures of 9C and not a snow flake in sight, but Sheffield Utd asked for a postponement because the road conditions they would have to drive through in Yorkshire were dangerous, due to snow and ice? If you call this game off because of dangerous roads, you are opening up the possibility of the above scenario being raised by a team who might like their game cancelled for other reasons, e.g. lengthy injury list. My hope is that the Sheffield Utd players will have the same attitude as those who won't go tonight, because of the cold. A bad attitude from them may be the best chance we have of getting 3 points, especially given their away record. I remember title chasing, Everton coming to the Dell, one cold winter's day, expecting the game to be called off. It wasn't, they were gutted and played like they didn't want to get hurt and we came away with 3 points we might otherwise not have won, had the game been played in better conditions. Costa Baz
  • Score: 0

4:34pm Tue 3 Feb 09

F Fan says...

robhythe wrote:
F Fan wrote:
robhythe wrote: Its going to be the lowest ever gate at St Marys!! Hope there isnt any snow this eve cos its going to freeze before the game ends!
Met office says 4 degrees centigrade until after midnight and not below 1 degree all night.
That sounds good then! Ive got to make a round trip of around 50 miles to pick kids up etc! Will be lowest crowd tonight tho as some have a distance to go and its an evening game!
Absolutely - wasn't having a dig - just passing on the tempurature projection.
[quote][p][bold]robhythe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]F Fan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]robhythe[/bold] wrote: Its going to be the lowest ever gate at St Marys!! Hope there isnt any snow this eve cos its going to freeze before the game ends! [/p][/quote]Met office says 4 degrees centigrade until after midnight and not below 1 degree all night.[/p][/quote]That sounds good then! Ive got to make a round trip of around 50 miles to pick kids up etc! Will be lowest crowd tonight tho as some have a distance to go and its an evening game! [/p][/quote]Absolutely - wasn't having a dig - just passing on the tempurature projection. F Fan
  • Score: 0

4:52pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Millbrook Dave says...

mawhiteuk wrote:
homegrown wrote:
F Fan wrote:
homegrown wrote:
F Fan wrote:
AndyAndrews wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.
And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club
Wrong those who choice to stay away until that filth goes are not trying to destroy the club. Theclub has ALREADY been destroyed by Lowe.
I believe they have a place for people who are trying to destroy the Southampton team at Fraton Park. You and Lowe fit the bill nicely. Two of a kind.
And l believe that you are talking complete and utter rubbish. Lowe has destroyed are club with middle class fans like you who continue to bury their heads in the sand as to the problem. Ive been to every home game this season,l aint going no more, the football is completely crap and one win in 14 at home just aint good enough im affraid. I accepted that we were going down after the Forest game,maybe you should do the same.
well go support someone else then , and leave us "middle class" people to support the team we always have and always will . .true fans
PRAWN SARNIE MUNCHER ALERT!!!
[quote][p][bold]mawhiteuk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]homegrown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]F Fan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]homegrown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]F Fan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AndyAndrews[/bold] wrote: Stay away from ALL games at StMary's: Rupert hates empty seats and empty Saints shops.[/p][/quote]And Saints fans hate people like you trying to destroy the club[/p][/quote]Wrong those who choice to stay away until that filth goes are not trying to destroy the club. Theclub has ALREADY been destroyed by Lowe. [/p][/quote]I believe they have a place for people who are trying to destroy the Southampton team at Fraton Park. You and Lowe fit the bill nicely. Two of a kind.[/p][/quote]And l believe that you are talking complete and utter rubbish. Lowe has destroyed are club with middle class fans like you who continue to bury their heads in the sand as to the problem. Ive been to every home game this season,l aint going no more, the football is completely crap and one win in 14 at home just aint good enough im affraid. I accepted that we were going down after the Forest game,maybe you should do the same. [/p][/quote]well go support someone else then , and leave us "middle class" people to support the team we always have and always will . .true fans [/p][/quote]PRAWN SARNIE MUNCHER ALERT!!! Millbrook Dave
  • Score: 0

4:56pm Tue 3 Feb 09

saint luke says...

why are people moaning about road conditions and what not???

if your not stupid, you would know how to handle the conditions and not drive around like a ****!!

get your **** down st marys and cheer on the boys!!!!!
why are people moaning about road conditions and what not??? if your not stupid, you would know how to handle the conditions and not drive around like a ****!! get your **** down st marys and cheer on the boys!!!!! saint luke
  • Score: 0

4:56pm Tue 3 Feb 09

saint Compo says...

COYR
COYR saint Compo
  • Score: 0

5:47pm Tue 3 Feb 09

jezza says...

It is a good job I don't run this club.

As if it is not bad enough that we constantly have the negative brigade on here bleating on about what they don't want all the time, (even though not one rose to my challenge of stating, in anything like positive terms, what they DO want), we now have criticism from the positive lot because it is a bit nippy out there.

I'm surprised RL hasn't just put the club into administration and let it fold, just to put you all out of your misery once and for all.

It is a good job I don't run this club. As if it is not bad enough that we constantly have the negative brigade on here bleating on about what they don't want all the time, (even though not one rose to my challenge of stating, in anything like positive terms, what they DO want), we now have criticism from the positive lot because it is a bit nippy out there. I'm surprised RL hasn't just put the club into administration and let it fold, just to put you all out of your misery once and for all. jezza
  • Score: 0

9:42pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Reality-man says...

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhh!
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhh! Reality-man
  • Score: 0

10:29pm Tue 3 Feb 09

SFC Ed says...

Another defeat, there seems little hope now :(
Another defeat, there seems little hope now :( SFC Ed
  • Score: 0

10:37pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Lehman Bros Banker says...

Dear Rupert,

Wotte on earth have you done? Only an eccentric like you would dream of putting the championship status of this football club in the hands inexperienced players and coaches.
Get out of the boardroom and take those clowns Wilde, Cowen and Jones with you. Your legacy is the destruction of a once great family club, an empty stadium, and Division One football.

Nurse come quickly, it's time for Mr Lowe's enema.
Dear Rupert, Wotte on earth have you done? Only an eccentric like you would dream of putting the championship status of this football club in the hands inexperienced players and coaches. Get out of the boardroom and take those clowns Wilde, Cowen and Jones with you. Your legacy is the destruction of a once great family club, an empty stadium, and Division One football. Nurse come quickly, it's time for Mr Lowe's enema. Lehman Bros Banker
  • Score: 0

10:50pm Tue 3 Feb 09

Lehman Bros Banker says...

Dear Rupert,

You simply couldn't make this up. The security word is 'club-pain' not that an insensitive b***ard like you would understand the real hurt being felt by the supporters.

Nurse come quickly, it's time for Mr Lowe's enema.
Dear Rupert, You simply couldn't make this up. The security word is 'club-pain' not that an insensitive b***ard like you would understand the real hurt being felt by the supporters. Nurse come quickly, it's time for Mr Lowe's enema. Lehman Bros Banker
  • Score: 0

11:16pm Tue 3 Feb 09

seagullsaint says...

timjim wrote:
seagullsaint wrote:
timjim wrote:
seagullsaint wrote: So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!!
Why don't you support Brighton?
Because I am born and bred in Southampton , and been a Saints fan since 1963.You think I should change teams because I change address ? You clearly have no idea of what it is like to be a football fan. I will be there tonight.
It's not a dig, just a question. Your somewhat bolshey reply could have ended at the first full stop, it would have explained everything. But no, you must go on and on and start with the old 'I'm a better fan than you, blah, blah,' I hope you have a safe journey and hats off to you travelling all that way.
Just got back safely thankyou, but gutted. So are you a fan ? Not a dig , just a question .
[quote][p][bold]timjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]seagullsaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]timjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]seagullsaint[/bold] wrote: So am I expected to drive from Brighton tomorrow or not? It is the drive back I am worried about , but will be there if it is on. Brighton have already postponed, at least be fair to the likes of me and give us enough notice ( I know of one married couple from York who drive to every Saints game, 10 hour round trip for home games),and what about the Sheffield fans. Newcastle postponed v Charlton last season 45 mins before kick off saying it was too dangerous to travel !!![/p][/quote]Why don't you support Brighton?[/p][/quote]Because I am born and bred in Southampton , and been a Saints fan since 1963.You think I should change teams because I change address ? You clearly have no idea of what it is like to be a football fan. I will be there tonight. [/p][/quote]It's not a dig, just a question. Your somewhat bolshey reply could have ended at the first full stop, it would have explained everything. But no, you must go on and on and start with the old 'I'm a better fan than you, blah, blah,' I hope you have a safe journey and hats off to you travelling all that way.[/p][/quote]Just got back safely thankyou, but gutted. So are you a fan ? Not a dig , just a question . seagullsaint
  • Score: 0

12:50am Wed 4 Feb 09

oregonsaint says...

More snow would have been good.
More snow would have been good. oregonsaint
  • Score: 0

1:01am Wed 4 Feb 09

oregonsaint says...

Oh, happy days. Why do you all come on here and slag each other off? The mind boggles!!
Are you Saints fans or not?
Oh, happy days. Why do you all come on here and slag each other off? The mind boggles!! Are you Saints fans or not? oregonsaint
  • Score: 0

10:56am Wed 4 Feb 09

Barcelona Saint says...

Nice to see Echo up to date with their news! It's Wednesday 4th, nearly 11am and this is still the latest article they're showing!
Err, we lost yesterday.....AGAIN!


Sort it out!
Nice to see Echo up to date with their news! It's Wednesday 4th, nearly 11am and this is still the latest article they're showing! Err, we lost yesterday.....AGAIN! Sort it out! Barcelona Saint
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree