Report this comment
  • "
    owen_thesaints wrote:
    southy wrote:
    Mr sheep wrote:
    southy wrote:
    Mr sheep wrote: on behalf of all residents in southampton, were bored now! you made your point , plz get back to work and find anouther way to protest ! striking wont budge rambo royston and your only alienating yourselfs from the fed up ppl of southampton (rubbish tip) once a beutiful city
    You can only speak for your self, at the moment most people of Southampton are backing the strikers, its still hovering around the 60% for the strikers.
    id rather be the 40% then that lives in a clean area than yours then , it makes portsmouth look habbitable the way things are !!
    Try and take the time to come round this area its one of the best clean areas in Southampton. So you be willing to pay £23 pm for a private contractor to empty your bins, insted of the 90p pm. Because that what it will mean if the public services are privatise and the service will not be has good. This is what the Government is pushing for and getting the councils to do.
    Sorry southy, but your 90p is complete bull droppings and scaremongering, also proof if we need it that your numbers never add up. A quick google (southy's friend) reveals - http://www.meltonmow braypeople.co.uk/cou ncil/Council-Tax-bil ls-arrive-Melton-Mow bray/story-10834507- detail/story.html In 2011/12 for every £1 paid in Council Tax towards Melton Borough Council charge, they will spend: • 29p on Waste Collection & Disposal So applying that logic to SCC Council, based on a Band B home, SCC band charge (before Fire and Police addition) is £963.83 so 29p in the pound is £279.51 over 12 months = £23.29 Therefore anyone living in a Band C home would be benefitting by contracting out of the Council's waste collection and using your recommended supplier who's gonna do it all for £23 pm. I await your response with much interest!
    Plus another £23 for recycling!
    So essential paying double for private - away you go..."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Southampton strike talks - and the city - are 'in a mess'

Strike talks - and the city - are 'in a mess'

Cedar Road, Southampton

Southampton City Council leader, Royston Smith

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Politics and business reporter

A FIFTH day of talks between council and union leaders broke up with threats of further strike action in Southampton next week.

Residents associations across the city have called for an urgent deal to end the industrial action, now in its tenth week, but negotiators again failed to find a breakthrough yesterday.

Street cleaners, parking wardens and Itchen Bridge toll collectors started a seven-day strike while bin men, who on Friday voted not to strike, were back out on their rounds.

They are among up to 2,400 union members continuing industrial action by working to rule to restore pay cuts of between two and 5.5 per cent brought in on July 11.

Bin men were still catching up on a huge backlog of rubbish across the city. Some crews are three days behind regular collection days but the council is advising residents to leave bins out. Up to ten hire trucks brought in by the council are continuing to target rubbish hotspots.

Union leaders have accused the council of wasting taxpayers’ money on the contractors and warned the bin men could walk out again next week.

Unite regional organiser Ian Woodland said there were reports of some of the contractors clearing rubbish in Woolston and Freemantle twice within three or four days – even if it meant “emptying empty bins”.

Council leader Cllr Royston Smith, pictured below, said: “We would expect some problems in the circumstances, with a few contractors being asked to collect tens of thousands of bins from hundreds of roads they are not familiar with. However they are having a significant effect and providing a good service, collecting hundreds of tonnes of rubbish from the streets during a typical strike week.”

Union leaders were last night unavailable for comment about the talks, which are due to resume later this week.

Cllr Smith apologised for the impact the strikes were having.

He said: “We remain optimistic.

We are continuing to try to find that breakthrough moment.”

The council says its pay cuts will protect 400 jobs as it seeks to make savings of £76m over four years.

Comments (252)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree