When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Warm your home while saving money
5:54pm Friday 11th January 2013 in In Depth
There are some simple steps people can take in reducing their energy.
- turning your thermostat down by 1˚C could cut your heating bills by up to 10 per cent and save you around £100 a year.
- turn radiators down in rooms which you only use occasionally
- switch your lights off when you're not using them
- turn appliances like TVs and phone chargers off at the wall rather than leaving them on standby when they're not being used
- replace normal light bulbs with energy efficient ones
- regularly defrost your freezer to make sure it's operating at full efficiency
- draw curtains over windows at night to provide insulation for the room
- move furniture away from radiators and heaters to allow heat to circulate around the room