Challenge to find quickest rush hour transport in Southampton

Commuters take on cross city challenge

Thea Bjaalan cycled the journey in just 15 minutes

Nesha Sharma took 31 minutes on the bus

Mike Buck took 24 minutes in his car

It took Joe Maskel 55 minutes to walk the journey

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

MANY motorists stuck in Southampton’s morning rush hour must have wondered if there’s an easier way to get to work.

Now it’s been proven there is – with a commuter race through the city centre.

As the Daily Echo continues with the Don’t be a Fuel Fool campaign, which looks at ways of getting around the rising costs at the pump, it’s been shown that ditching the car on the daily commute could save time as well as money.

A car driver, cyclist, walker and bus user set off at 8.30am from Southampton General Hospital yesterday morning to settle once and for all which is the quickest way to get across the city.

It was cyclist Thea Bjaalan, 30, from Portswood, who crossed the finish line at Guildhall Square first, having made the 3.5mile journey in a time of 15 minutes.

And she says she didn’t even pick the quickest route – but instead opted for a scenic ride through Southampton Common.

She said: “It was probably slightly quicker to go the road way but it was a really nice cycle ride through the common. The sun was shining, there were no cars – it was a treat and definitely better than being in the car and getting annoyed by the traffic lights and other drivers.”

Share lifts and save cash
Car Share Forum
Petrol prices near you
Latest traffic updates and cameras
Travel News
Car Sharing Case Study
How the fuel hike hits families
Tips for using less fuel when driving

It was another nine minutes before car user Mike Buck, 28, from Peartree Road, Woolston, arrived at Guildhall Square.

He parked a four-minute walk away in the multi-storey car park in West Park Road, to simulate a typical commute for Southampton workers.

The start and finish points of the race

It was a journey that he estimates cost him nearly a tenner – around a pound for petrol and £8 to park for the day.

He said: “There was quite a lot of traffic. I was stuck at Hill Lane for a good five minutes, which was a bit frustrating, especially knowing Thea was whizzing through the traffic and I was stuck in my car. On a day like this I’d definitely prefer to cycle.”

Even though Nisha Sharma, 23, from Eastleigh, came in third on the bus, with a time of 31 minutes, she says there were benefits to using public transport.

She said: “I didn’t have to worry about parking, there was no big stress of being stuck in traffic. You can read a book, listen to your iPod or just look out the window.”

Walker Joe Maskell, 34, from the Bitterne Triangle, says he used the commute to brush up on his Spanish.

He said: “I walked at a leisurely pace – it was really great on such a sunny day.

“I’m trying to learn Spanish, so I was listening to that on my way to work – it’s a good opportunity to use the time.”

The event was organised to raise awareness of the Southampton Cycle Challenge, which takes place from May 9 to May 29 and is a competition to see which Southampton workplace can encourage the most people to cycle.

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:56pm Wed 16 Mar 11

geoff51 says...

The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest
The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest geoff51
  • Score: 0

4:06pm Wed 16 Mar 11

Dan Kerins says...

geoff51 wrote:
The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest
Geoff, no-one broke any laws of the land in this test.
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest[/p][/quote]Geoff, no-one broke any laws of the land in this test. Dan Kerins
  • Score: 0

4:27pm Wed 16 Mar 11

downfader says...

geoff51 wrote:
The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest
Geoff thats just not on. I can do that trip in 10 minutes on a good day on the racing bikes, and I dont need to ride on pavements, bust lights etc.
.
This isnt the first time you've come out with that rubbish. In rush hour the only ones making headway are the two wheelers (powered and pedalled), accept it.
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest[/p][/quote]Geoff thats just not on. I can do that trip in 10 minutes on a good day on the racing bikes, and I dont need to ride on pavements, bust lights etc. . This isnt the first time you've come out with that rubbish. In rush hour the only ones making headway are the two wheelers (powered and pedalled), accept it. downfader
  • Score: 0

6:20pm Wed 16 Mar 11

G0Rf says...

use your favourite search engine to search for "How London bike hire users can cut the scheme's carbon emissions"

bike hire/share scheme
use your favourite search engine to search for "How London bike hire users can cut the scheme's carbon emissions" bike hire/share scheme G0Rf
  • Score: 0

8:13pm Wed 16 Mar 11

geoff51 says...

Dan Kerins wrote:
geoff51 wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest
Geoff, no-one broke any laws of the land in this test.
Well that will be a first for most commuting cyclist who believe that the rules of the road and good manners do not apply to them
[quote][p][bold]Dan Kerins[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest[/p][/quote]Geoff, no-one broke any laws of the land in this test.[/p][/quote]Well that will be a first for most commuting cyclist who believe that the rules of the road and good manners do not apply to them geoff51
  • Score: 0

8:20pm Wed 16 Mar 11

geoff51 says...

downfader wrote:
geoff51 wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest
Geoff thats just not on. I can do that trip in 10 minutes on a good day on the racing bikes, and I dont need to ride on pavements, bust lights etc. . This isnt the first time you've come out with that rubbish. In rush hour the only ones making headway are the two wheelers (powered and pedalled), accept it.
Please read my previous post and I will add to you that you are in a minority if you obey all the rules of the road.
The cycling fraternity are in my opinion some of the rudest, arrogant, self centred group of road users, with a superior attitude that they are doing wonders for the environment and should therefore not have to obey the rules of the road and good manners
[quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest[/p][/quote]Geoff thats just not on. I can do that trip in 10 minutes on a good day on the racing bikes, and I dont need to ride on pavements, bust lights etc. . This isnt the first time you've come out with that rubbish. In rush hour the only ones making headway are the two wheelers (powered and pedalled), accept it.[/p][/quote]Please read my previous post and I will add to you that you are in a minority if you obey all the rules of the road. The cycling fraternity are in my opinion some of the rudest, arrogant, self centred group of road users, with a superior attitude that they are doing wonders for the environment and should therefore not have to obey the rules of the road and good manners geoff51
  • Score: 0

8:58pm Wed 16 Mar 11

Maybush Lad says...

Surprised the bus traveller managed to come 3rd, given some of the awful bus services in this city.
Must have been one of the better routes!
Surprised the bus traveller managed to come 3rd, given some of the awful bus services in this city. Must have been one of the better routes! Maybush Lad
  • Score: 0

9:10pm Wed 16 Mar 11

freemantlegirl2 says...

Having been cut up several times today by a cyclist who was v. brave without a helmet on the inside of my car, and a van in front opened the passenger door in stationery traffic to drop someone off, how she managed to stop in time is beyond me.....

If any of cyclists (and I have a bike also myself but haven't used it much lately admittedly) google the woman who was crushed to death by a cement lorry who didn't see her undertaking, then you would think again. This could have ended badly for this woman today, thank god it didn't. She swore at the van but it wasn't their fault whatsoever.. .undertake at your peril...

there are many car drivers and motorbikes who are inconsiderate too obviously but this woman was soooo vulnerable and could have easily been killed. What irked me is she carried on doing it all the way down Hill Lane after her near miss!

not suprised bike came first, all the roadworks are a nightmare plus we're getting ever more gridlocked. Cycling across common is great, again as long as it's done considerately :) it's healthier too. Hopefully I'll get mine out again but I'm def a fairweather cyclist and a very nervous one on these roads!
Having been cut up several times today by a cyclist who was v. brave without a helmet on the inside of my car, and a van in front opened the passenger door in stationery traffic to drop someone off, how she managed to stop in time is beyond me..... If any of cyclists (and I have a bike also myself but haven't used it much lately admittedly) google the woman who was crushed to death by a cement lorry who didn't see her undertaking, then you would think again. This could have ended badly for this woman today, thank god it didn't. She swore at the van but it wasn't their fault whatsoever.. .undertake at your peril... there are many car drivers and motorbikes who are inconsiderate too obviously but this woman was soooo vulnerable and could have easily been killed. What irked me is she carried on doing it all the way down Hill Lane after her near miss! not suprised bike came first, all the roadworks are a nightmare plus we're getting ever more gridlocked. Cycling across common is great, again as long as it's done considerately :) it's healthier too. Hopefully I'll get mine out again but I'm def a fairweather cyclist and a very nervous one on these roads! freemantlegirl2
  • Score: 0

9:11pm Wed 16 Mar 11

Georgem says...

Speaking as a typical Echo reader, I would just like to say that some cyclists once annoyed me, and having personally witnessed some fraction of a fraction of a percentile of all cyclists, feel well-positioned to know exactly how every single cyclist in the world behaves. On top of that, I sometimes find a bus running a bit late, from which I have extrapolated that all Southampton bus services are rubbish. I haven't yet forged an opinion on motorists, but no doubt I'll be back here later, claiming car drivers gave me Bad AIDS or something, and from there I'll probably find a reason to hate on pedestrians, too, because I am singularly unable to find a single positive thing about my life, despite living in a level of abject splendour that would make a Pharoah blush. Blessings? I'm too busy moaning about my wheelie bins to count those.
Speaking as a typical Echo reader, I would just like to say that some cyclists once annoyed me, and having personally witnessed some fraction of a fraction of a percentile of all cyclists, feel well-positioned to know exactly how every single cyclist in the world behaves. On top of that, I sometimes find a bus running a bit late, from which I have extrapolated that all Southampton bus services are rubbish. I haven't yet forged an opinion on motorists, but no doubt I'll be back here later, claiming car drivers gave me Bad AIDS or something, and from there I'll probably find a reason to hate on pedestrians, too, because I am singularly unable to find a single positive thing about my life, despite living in a level of abject splendour that would make a Pharoah blush. Blessings? I'm too busy moaning about my wheelie bins to count those. Georgem
  • Score: 0

9:13pm Wed 16 Mar 11

Georgem says...

I forgot to add that, as a taxpayer, and given that there's almost certainly a remote possibility that perhaps some public money may have been spent on this, I find outrageous that blah blah blah sense of self-entitled rage blah blah hate everything blah blah blah. Rinse, repeat until in early grave.
I forgot to add that, as a taxpayer, and given that there's almost certainly a remote possibility that perhaps some public money may have been spent on this, I find outrageous that blah blah blah sense of self-entitled rage blah blah hate everything blah blah blah. Rinse, repeat until in early grave. Georgem
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Wed 16 Mar 11

freemantlegirl2 says...

Georgem wrote:
I forgot to add that, as a taxpayer, and given that there's almost certainly a remote possibility that perhaps some public money may have been spent on this, I find outrageous that blah blah blah sense of self-entitled rage blah blah hate everything blah blah blah. Rinse, repeat until in early grave.
calm down dear they are only opinions..... you'll fall off your bike! you're being just as bad stereotyping people who post on here ;)

I would love to know what 'bad AIDS' is though... please elaborate!? is there a strain of the AIDS virus that is good then? I assume you're referring to the virus AIDS and not marital aids... if the latter I will bow to your obviously superior knowledge....
[quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: I forgot to add that, as a taxpayer, and given that there's almost certainly a remote possibility that perhaps some public money may have been spent on this, I find outrageous that blah blah blah sense of self-entitled rage blah blah hate everything blah blah blah. Rinse, repeat until in early grave.[/p][/quote]calm down dear they are only opinions..... you'll fall off your bike! you're being just as bad stereotyping people who post on here ;) I would love to know what 'bad AIDS' is though... please elaborate!? is there a strain of the AIDS virus that is good then? I assume you're referring to the virus AIDS and not marital aids... if the latter I will bow to your obviously superior knowledge.... freemantlegirl2
  • Score: 0

9:55pm Wed 16 Mar 11

Georgem says...

freemantlegirl2 wrote:
Georgem wrote:
I forgot to add that, as a taxpayer, and given that there's almost certainly a remote possibility that perhaps some public money may have been spent on this, I find outrageous that blah blah blah sense of self-entitled rage blah blah hate everything blah blah blah. Rinse, repeat until in early grave.
calm down dear they are only opinions..... you'll fall off your bike! you're being just as bad stereotyping people who post on here ;)

I would love to know what 'bad AIDS' is though... please elaborate!? is there a strain of the AIDS virus that is good then? I assume you're referring to the virus AIDS and not marital aids... if the latter I will bow to your obviously superior knowledge....
I care so little about your thoughts on this matter, I almost fell into a coma. Inb4 'you cared enough to reply' - it took all of 20 seconds
[quote][p][bold]freemantlegirl2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: I forgot to add that, as a taxpayer, and given that there's almost certainly a remote possibility that perhaps some public money may have been spent on this, I find outrageous that blah blah blah sense of self-entitled rage blah blah hate everything blah blah blah. Rinse, repeat until in early grave.[/p][/quote]calm down dear they are only opinions..... you'll fall off your bike! you're being just as bad stereotyping people who post on here ;) I would love to know what 'bad AIDS' is though... please elaborate!? is there a strain of the AIDS virus that is good then? I assume you're referring to the virus AIDS and not marital aids... if the latter I will bow to your obviously superior knowledge....[/p][/quote]I care so little about your thoughts on this matter, I almost fell into a coma. Inb4 'you cared enough to reply' - it took all of 20 seconds Georgem
  • Score: 0

9:57pm Wed 16 Mar 11

downfader says...

geoff51 wrote:
downfader wrote:
geoff51 wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest
Geoff thats just not on. I can do that trip in 10 minutes on a good day on the racing bikes, and I dont need to ride on pavements, bust lights etc. . This isnt the first time you've come out with that rubbish. In rush hour the only ones making headway are the two wheelers (powered and pedalled), accept it.
Please read my previous post and I will add to you that you are in a minority if you obey all the rules of the road. The cycling fraternity are in my opinion some of the rudest, arrogant, self centred group of road users, with a superior attitude that they are doing wonders for the environment and should therefore not have to obey the rules of the road and good manners
Geoff, dont be silly now. Are you psychic? How do you know someone thinks they're doing "wonders for the environment", LMAO!??
.
Your two posts are the most incredulous posts on here.
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest[/p][/quote]Geoff thats just not on. I can do that trip in 10 minutes on a good day on the racing bikes, and I dont need to ride on pavements, bust lights etc. . This isnt the first time you've come out with that rubbish. In rush hour the only ones making headway are the two wheelers (powered and pedalled), accept it.[/p][/quote]Please read my previous post and I will add to you that you are in a minority if you obey all the rules of the road. The cycling fraternity are in my opinion some of the rudest, arrogant, self centred group of road users, with a superior attitude that they are doing wonders for the environment and should therefore not have to obey the rules of the road and good manners[/p][/quote]Geoff, dont be silly now. Are you psychic? How do you know someone thinks they're doing "wonders for the environment", LMAO!?? . Your two posts are the most incredulous posts on here. downfader
  • Score: 0

9:58pm Wed 16 Mar 11

NorcoAtomik says...

geoff51 wrote:
Dan Kerins wrote:
geoff51 wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest
Geoff, no-one broke any laws of the land in this test.
Well that will be a first for most commuting cyclist who believe that the rules of the road and good manners do not apply to them
Your a bit of a sore loser aren't you.
Not everyone on a bike break rules/laws. I commute 7.5 miles each way, lit up, helmet on, reflectors, obeying the signs and lights.
If anything, us cyclists get just as much dangerous manoeuvres from the menace motorists who over take cyclists and then turn left and pull out in front then decide to do only 5 mph cause they don't know how to drive.
Anyway you only remember the bad cyclists because you can recall swearing at them, but do you praise a good cyclists to remember them also, no. The human brain is flawed with this error. So before you try and tar the whole cyclist community, I would suggest you get a cup of tea and relax before making such ridiculous accusations, it only makes YOU look stupid.
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dan Kerins[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest[/p][/quote]Geoff, no-one broke any laws of the land in this test.[/p][/quote]Well that will be a first for most commuting cyclist who believe that the rules of the road and good manners do not apply to them[/p][/quote]Your a bit of a sore loser aren't you. Not everyone on a bike break rules/laws. I commute 7.5 miles each way, lit up, helmet on, reflectors, obeying the signs and lights. If anything, us cyclists get just as much dangerous manoeuvres from the menace motorists who over take cyclists and then turn left and pull out in front then decide to do only 5 mph cause they don't know how to drive. Anyway you only remember the bad cyclists because you can recall swearing at them, but do you praise a good cyclists to remember them also, no. The human brain is flawed with this error. So before you try and tar the whole cyclist community, I would suggest you get a cup of tea and relax before making such ridiculous accusations, it only makes YOU look stupid. NorcoAtomik
  • Score: 0

10:04pm Wed 16 Mar 11

Georgem says...

NorcoAtomik wrote:
geoff51 wrote:
Dan Kerins wrote:
geoff51 wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest
Geoff, no-one broke any laws of the land in this test.
Well that will be a first for most commuting cyclist who believe that the rules of the road and good manners do not apply to them
Your a bit of a sore loser aren't you.
Not everyone on a bike break rules/laws. I commute 7.5 miles each way, lit up, helmet on, reflectors, obeying the signs and lights.
If anything, us cyclists get just as much dangerous manoeuvres from the menace motorists who over take cyclists and then turn left and pull out in front then decide to do only 5 mph cause they don't know how to drive.
Anyway you only remember the bad cyclists because you can recall swearing at them, but do you praise a good cyclists to remember them also, no. The human brain is flawed with this error. So before you try and tar the whole cyclist community, I would suggest you get a cup of tea and relax before making such ridiculous accusations, it only makes YOU look stupid.
Exactly. We don't notice the competent cyclists, by design. Why would we? Similarly, I don't recall ever thinking "I admire the way that motorist behind me is maintaining a safe distance"; I just remember the tailgating arseholes.
[quote][p][bold]NorcoAtomik[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dan Kerins[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest[/p][/quote]Geoff, no-one broke any laws of the land in this test.[/p][/quote]Well that will be a first for most commuting cyclist who believe that the rules of the road and good manners do not apply to them[/p][/quote]Your a bit of a sore loser aren't you. Not everyone on a bike break rules/laws. I commute 7.5 miles each way, lit up, helmet on, reflectors, obeying the signs and lights. If anything, us cyclists get just as much dangerous manoeuvres from the menace motorists who over take cyclists and then turn left and pull out in front then decide to do only 5 mph cause they don't know how to drive. Anyway you only remember the bad cyclists because you can recall swearing at them, but do you praise a good cyclists to remember them also, no. The human brain is flawed with this error. So before you try and tar the whole cyclist community, I would suggest you get a cup of tea and relax before making such ridiculous accusations, it only makes YOU look stupid.[/p][/quote]Exactly. We don't notice the competent cyclists, by design. Why would we? Similarly, I don't recall ever thinking "I admire the way that motorist behind me is maintaining a safe distance"; I just remember the tailgating ars[bold][/bold]eholes. Georgem
  • Score: 0

10:16pm Wed 16 Mar 11

downfader says...

freemantlegirl2 wrote:
Having been cut up several times today by a cyclist who was v. brave without a helmet on the inside of my car, and a van in front opened the passenger door in stationery traffic to drop someone off, how she managed to stop in time is beyond me..... If any of cyclists (and I have a bike also myself but haven't used it much lately admittedly) google the woman who was crushed to death by a cement lorry who didn't see her undertaking, then you would think again. This could have ended badly for this woman today, thank god it didn't. She swore at the van but it wasn't their fault whatsoever.. .undertake at your peril... there are many car drivers and motorbikes who are inconsiderate too obviously but this woman was soooo vulnerable and could have easily been killed. What irked me is she carried on doing it all the way down Hill Lane after her near miss! not suprised bike came first, all the roadworks are a nightmare plus we're getting ever more gridlocked. Cycling across common is great, again as long as it's done considerately :) it's healthier too. Hopefully I'll get mine out again but I'm def a fairweather cyclist and a very nervous one on these roads!
A couple of points come to mind.. the highway code clearly states to watch for cyclists filtering on both the left and the right, so the passenger opening the door was in the wrong as far as your comment described there.
.
When you say "cut up", do you mean the normal ebb and flow of busy, slow moving traffic? In that situation its often better to hold back in the car if you're simply going to be rejoining the back of another queue. This is something the IAM have taught over the years.
.
On helmets, it is important for all road users to realise there are limitations in both the properties it is designed for and the research/science around them. You are statistically very unlikely to hit your head whilst riding.
.
Cement lorry? There have been about 17 deaths last year involving large vehicles. I completely agree cyclists need to hold back and not undertake large vehicles, however many of those deaths have since been proven to have been the driver's fault (Elidh Cairns' case for example the driver just drove over the top of her and was p***ed; Patel's case iirc the driver attempted to overtake on a corner through a green light, etc).
.
The best thing any cyclist can do is read the cycle training literature, or even better book a National Standards training course (if you're under 16 you can often get free training on a Bikeability course). This will improve confidence, iron out riding problems - and importantly for large vehicle issues teach you when, where and how to filter safely.
.
Hmm security words: also-slow LOL!
[quote][p][bold]freemantlegirl2[/bold] wrote: Having been cut up several times today by a cyclist who was v. brave without a helmet on the inside of my car, and a van in front opened the passenger door in stationery traffic to drop someone off, how she managed to stop in time is beyond me..... If any of cyclists (and I have a bike also myself but haven't used it much lately admittedly) google the woman who was crushed to death by a cement lorry who didn't see her undertaking, then you would think again. This could have ended badly for this woman today, thank god it didn't. She swore at the van but it wasn't their fault whatsoever.. .undertake at your peril... there are many car drivers and motorbikes who are inconsiderate too obviously but this woman was soooo vulnerable and could have easily been killed. What irked me is she carried on doing it all the way down Hill Lane after her near miss! not suprised bike came first, all the roadworks are a nightmare plus we're getting ever more gridlocked. Cycling across common is great, again as long as it's done considerately :) it's healthier too. Hopefully I'll get mine out again but I'm def a fairweather cyclist and a very nervous one on these roads![/p][/quote]A couple of points come to mind.. the highway code clearly states to watch for cyclists filtering on both the left and the right, so the passenger opening the door was in the wrong as far as your comment described there. . When you say "cut up", do you mean the normal ebb and flow of busy, slow moving traffic? In that situation its often better to hold back in the car if you're simply going to be rejoining the back of another queue. This is something the IAM have taught over the years. . On helmets, it is important for all road users to realise there are limitations in both the properties it is designed for and the research/science around them. You are statistically very unlikely to hit your head whilst riding. . Cement lorry? There have been about 17 deaths last year involving large vehicles. I completely agree cyclists need to hold back and not undertake large vehicles, however many of those deaths have since been proven to have been the driver's fault (Elidh Cairns' case for example the driver just drove over the top of her and was p***ed; Patel's case iirc the driver attempted to overtake on a corner through a green light, etc). . The best thing any cyclist can do is read the cycle training literature, or even better book a National Standards training course (if you're under 16 you can often get free training on a Bikeability course). This will improve confidence, iron out riding problems - and importantly for large vehicle issues teach you when, where and how to filter safely. . Hmm security words: also-slow LOL! downfader
  • Score: 0

11:04pm Wed 16 Mar 11

Georgem says...

I find it funny when people say "I was once cut up by a cyclist, ergo, I assign that behaviour to ALL cyclists." It's really no different to saying "I was once mugged by a black man, ergo, all black men must be criminals."

(Note to anyone about to accuse me of racism: actually read the post)
I find it funny when people say "I was once cut up by a cyclist, ergo, I assign that behaviour to ALL cyclists." It's really no different to saying "I was once mugged by a black man, ergo, all black men must be criminals." (Note to anyone about to accuse me of racism: actually read the post) Georgem
  • Score: 0

11:20pm Wed 16 Mar 11

Donald2000 says...

geoff51 wrote:
downfader wrote:
geoff51 wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest
Geoff thats just not on. I can do that trip in 10 minutes on a good day on the racing bikes, and I dont need to ride on pavements, bust lights etc. . This isnt the first time you've come out with that rubbish. In rush hour the only ones making headway are the two wheelers (powered and pedalled), accept it.
Please read my previous post and I will add to you that you are in a minority if you obey all the rules of the road. The cycling fraternity are in my opinion some of the rudest, arrogant, self centred group of road users, with a superior attitude that they are doing wonders for the environment and should therefore not have to obey the rules of the road and good manners
But what you have said could apply to any group of motorists or any group of road users, including pedestrians. Is this not a case of you seeing what you want to see, rather than the truth of the matter.
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: The cyclist probably won because they all ignore traffic lights, use pedestrian crossings and pavements with no regard to the rightful users and generally disregard the rules of the road and good manners as well. Next time this trial is run if ever make it a fair contest[/p][/quote]Geoff thats just not on. I can do that trip in 10 minutes on a good day on the racing bikes, and I dont need to ride on pavements, bust lights etc. . This isnt the first time you've come out with that rubbish. In rush hour the only ones making headway are the two wheelers (powered and pedalled), accept it.[/p][/quote]Please read my previous post and I will add to you that you are in a minority if you obey all the rules of the road. The cycling fraternity are in my opinion some of the rudest, arrogant, self centred group of road users, with a superior attitude that they are doing wonders for the environment and should therefore not have to obey the rules of the road and good manners[/p][/quote]But what you have said could apply to any group of motorists or any group of road users, including pedestrians. Is this not a case of you seeing what you want to see, rather than the truth of the matter. Donald2000
  • Score: 0

8:26am Thu 17 Mar 11

pqp says...

I am a cyclist, bus user and a car user.

This race looks a bit biased because there is a nice route for cycles from the General to town.

Now if the race was from say Thornhill to town the result would have been different.
I am a cyclist, bus user and a car user. This race looks a bit biased because there is a nice route for cycles from the General to town. Now if the race was from say Thornhill to town the result would have been different. pqp
  • Score: 0

8:55am Thu 17 Mar 11

Markmag says...

Georgem wrote:
Speaking as a typical Echo reader, I would just like to say that some cyclists once annoyed me, and having personally witnessed some fraction of a fraction of a percentile of all cyclists, feel well-positioned to know exactly how every single cyclist in the world behaves. On top of that, I sometimes find a bus running a bit late, from which I have extrapolated that all Southampton bus services are rubbish. I haven't yet forged an opinion on motorists, but no doubt I'll be back here later, claiming car drivers gave me Bad AIDS or something, and from there I'll probably find a reason to hate on pedestrians, too, because I am singularly unable to find a single positive thing about my life, despite living in a level of abject splendour that would make a Pharoah blush. Blessings? I'm too busy moaning about my wheelie bins to count those.
Thanks for your posts GeorgeM, brings some much needed humour after Geoff51's absolutely pathetic comments!
[quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: Speaking as a typical Echo reader, I would just like to say that some cyclists once annoyed me, and having personally witnessed some fraction of a fraction of a percentile of all cyclists, feel well-positioned to know exactly how every single cyclist in the world behaves. On top of that, I sometimes find a bus running a bit late, from which I have extrapolated that all Southampton bus services are rubbish. I haven't yet forged an opinion on motorists, but no doubt I'll be back here later, claiming car drivers gave me Bad AIDS or something, and from there I'll probably find a reason to hate on pedestrians, too, because I am singularly unable to find a single positive thing about my life, despite living in a level of abject splendour that would make a Pharoah blush. Blessings? I'm too busy moaning about my wheelie bins to count those.[/p][/quote]Thanks for your posts GeorgeM, brings some much needed humour after Geoff51's absolutely pathetic comments! Markmag
  • Score: 0

9:59am Thu 17 Mar 11

freemantlegirl2 says...

downfader wrote:
freemantlegirl2 wrote:
Having been cut up several times today by a cyclist who was v. brave without a helmet on the inside of my car, and a van in front opened the passenger door in stationery traffic to drop someone off, how she managed to stop in time is beyond me..... If any of cyclists (and I have a bike also myself but haven't used it much lately admittedly) google the woman who was crushed to death by a cement lorry who didn't see her undertaking, then you would think again. This could have ended badly for this woman today, thank god it didn't. She swore at the van but it wasn't their fault whatsoever.. .undertake at your peril... there are many car drivers and motorbikes who are inconsiderate too obviously but this woman was soooo vulnerable and could have easily been killed. What irked me is she carried on doing it all the way down Hill Lane after her near miss! not suprised bike came first, all the roadworks are a nightmare plus we're getting ever more gridlocked. Cycling across common is great, again as long as it's done considerately :) it's healthier too. Hopefully I'll get mine out again but I'm def a fairweather cyclist and a very nervous one on these roads!
A couple of points come to mind.. the highway code clearly states to watch for cyclists filtering on both the left and the right, so the passenger opening the door was in the wrong as far as your comment described there.
.
When you say "cut up", do you mean the normal ebb and flow of busy, slow moving traffic? In that situation its often better to hold back in the car if you're simply going to be rejoining the back of another queue. This is something the IAM have taught over the years.
.
On helmets, it is important for all road users to realise there are limitations in both the properties it is designed for and the research/science around them. You are statistically very unlikely to hit your head whilst riding.
.
Cement lorry? There have been about 17 deaths last year involving large vehicles. I completely agree cyclists need to hold back and not undertake large vehicles, however many of those deaths have since been proven to have been the driver's fault (Elidh Cairns' case for example the driver just drove over the top of her and was p***ed; Patel's case iirc the driver attempted to overtake on a corner through a green light, etc).
.
The best thing any cyclist can do is read the cycle training literature, or even better book a National Standards training course (if you're under 16 you can often get free training on a Bikeability course). This will improve confidence, iron out riding problems - and importantly for large vehicle issues teach you when, where and how to filter safely.
.
Hmm security words: also-slow LOL!
Car drivers have to watch yes, hence me seeing her doh!

I was also watching her weavingin and out nearly got hit about five tmes. However, as I said they are vulnerable. Bike users are strongly advised not to undercut vehicles, and particularly to watch for vehicles turning left. (this is what happened with the cement lorry). Whilst the lorry may also have been at fault, if I am on my bike and for the same of waiting a couple of seconds making sure I'm safe then I'm ruddy well going to do it!! This wasn't a go at cyclists, as I said I like to travel on a bike myself. However, I do abide by the laws of the road. That includes the right equipment.

See here for rules for cyclists on the Highway Code here, and note equpment/lights/ridi
ng on pavements/traffic signals (my worst bug bear with other cyclists...)
http://www.bagitup.o
rg.uk/files/HIGHWAY CODE Rules for cyclists.pd

Everyone has a duty to ride/travel/drive safely on the roads, that includes car and cyclists, motorbikes. Cyclists can prevent half the things that happen by simply being careful, and not undertaking, particularly large vehicles as this one was a very large van with high sides. She was going far too fast to stop in time and wasn't observing what was going on ahead.

I totally disagree (having worked in the Mortuary office at the SGH) cyclists heads are VERY likely to be what kills them. A good quality cycle helmet and I mean good quality, mine cost £90. can mean the difference between living and dying....
[quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freemantlegirl2[/bold] wrote: Having been cut up several times today by a cyclist who was v. brave without a helmet on the inside of my car, and a van in front opened the passenger door in stationery traffic to drop someone off, how she managed to stop in time is beyond me..... If any of cyclists (and I have a bike also myself but haven't used it much lately admittedly) google the woman who was crushed to death by a cement lorry who didn't see her undertaking, then you would think again. This could have ended badly for this woman today, thank god it didn't. She swore at the van but it wasn't their fault whatsoever.. .undertake at your peril... there are many car drivers and motorbikes who are inconsiderate too obviously but this woman was soooo vulnerable and could have easily been killed. What irked me is she carried on doing it all the way down Hill Lane after her near miss! not suprised bike came first, all the roadworks are a nightmare plus we're getting ever more gridlocked. Cycling across common is great, again as long as it's done considerately :) it's healthier too. Hopefully I'll get mine out again but I'm def a fairweather cyclist and a very nervous one on these roads![/p][/quote]A couple of points come to mind.. the highway code clearly states to watch for cyclists filtering on both the left and the right, so the passenger opening the door was in the wrong as far as your comment described there. . When you say "cut up", do you mean the normal ebb and flow of busy, slow moving traffic? In that situation its often better to hold back in the car if you're simply going to be rejoining the back of another queue. This is something the IAM have taught over the years. . On helmets, it is important for all road users to realise there are limitations in both the properties it is designed for and the research/science around them. You are statistically very unlikely to hit your head whilst riding. . Cement lorry? There have been about 17 deaths last year involving large vehicles. I completely agree cyclists need to hold back and not undertake large vehicles, however many of those deaths have since been proven to have been the driver's fault (Elidh Cairns' case for example the driver just drove over the top of her and was p***ed; Patel's case iirc the driver attempted to overtake on a corner through a green light, etc). . The best thing any cyclist can do is read the cycle training literature, or even better book a National Standards training course (if you're under 16 you can often get free training on a Bikeability course). This will improve confidence, iron out riding problems - and importantly for large vehicle issues teach you when, where and how to filter safely. . Hmm security words: also-slow LOL![/p][/quote]Car drivers have to watch yes, hence me seeing her doh! I was also watching her weavingin and out nearly got hit about five tmes. However, as I said they are vulnerable. Bike users are strongly advised not to undercut vehicles, and particularly to watch for vehicles turning left. (this is what happened with the cement lorry). Whilst the lorry may also have been at fault, if I am on my bike and for the same of waiting a couple of seconds making sure I'm safe then I'm ruddy well going to do it!! This wasn't a go at cyclists, as I said I like to travel on a bike myself. However, I do abide by the laws of the road. That includes the right equipment. See here for rules for cyclists on the Highway Code here, and note equpment/lights/ridi ng on pavements/traffic signals (my worst bug bear with other cyclists...) http://www.bagitup.o rg.uk/files/HIGHWAY CODE Rules for cyclists.pd Everyone has a duty to ride/travel/drive safely on the roads, that includes car and cyclists, motorbikes. Cyclists can prevent half the things that happen by simply being careful, and not undertaking, particularly large vehicles as this one was a very large van with high sides. She was going far too fast to stop in time and wasn't observing what was going on ahead. I totally disagree (having worked in the Mortuary office at the SGH) cyclists heads are VERY likely to be what kills them. A good quality cycle helmet and I mean good quality, mine cost £90. can mean the difference between living and dying.... freemantlegirl2
  • Score: 0

5:32pm Thu 17 Mar 11

downfader says...

freemantlegirl2 wrote:
downfader wrote:
freemantlegirl2 wrote: Having been cut up several times today by a cyclist who was v. brave without a helmet on the inside of my car, and a van in front opened the passenger door in stationery traffic to drop someone off, how she managed to stop in time is beyond me..... If any of cyclists (and I have a bike also myself but haven't used it much lately admittedly) google the woman who was crushed to death by a cement lorry who didn't see her undertaking, then you would think again. This could have ended badly for this woman today, thank god it didn't. She swore at the van but it wasn't their fault whatsoever.. .undertake at your peril... there are many car drivers and motorbikes who are inconsiderate too obviously but this woman was soooo vulnerable and could have easily been killed. What irked me is she carried on doing it all the way down Hill Lane after her near miss! not suprised bike came first, all the roadworks are a nightmare plus we're getting ever more gridlocked. Cycling across common is great, again as long as it's done considerately :) it's healthier too. Hopefully I'll get mine out again but I'm def a fairweather cyclist and a very nervous one on these roads!
A couple of points come to mind.. the highway code clearly states to watch for cyclists filtering on both the left and the right, so the passenger opening the door was in the wrong as far as your comment described there. . When you say "cut up", do you mean the normal ebb and flow of busy, slow moving traffic? In that situation its often better to hold back in the car if you're simply going to be rejoining the back of another queue. This is something the IAM have taught over the years. . On helmets, it is important for all road users to realise there are limitations in both the properties it is designed for and the research/science around them. You are statistically very unlikely to hit your head whilst riding. . Cement lorry? There have been about 17 deaths last year involving large vehicles. I completely agree cyclists need to hold back and not undertake large vehicles, however many of those deaths have since been proven to have been the driver's fault (Elidh Cairns' case for example the driver just drove over the top of her and was p***ed; Patel's case iirc the driver attempted to overtake on a corner through a green light, etc). . The best thing any cyclist can do is read the cycle training literature, or even better book a National Standards training course (if you're under 16 you can often get free training on a Bikeability course). This will improve confidence, iron out riding problems - and importantly for large vehicle issues teach you when, where and how to filter safely. . Hmm security words: also-slow LOL!
Car drivers have to watch yes, hence me seeing her doh! I was also watching her weavingin and out nearly got hit about five tmes. However, as I said they are vulnerable. Bike users are strongly advised not to undercut vehicles, and particularly to watch for vehicles turning left. (this is what happened with the cement lorry). Whilst the lorry may also have been at fault, if I am on my bike and for the same of waiting a couple of seconds making sure I'm safe then I'm ruddy well going to do it!! This wasn't a go at cyclists, as I said I like to travel on a bike myself. However, I do abide by the laws of the road. That includes the right equipment. See here for rules for cyclists on the Highway Code here, and note equpment/lights/ridi ng on pavements/traffic signals (my worst bug bear with other cyclists...) http://www.bagitup.o rg.uk/files/HIGHWAY CODE Rules for cyclists.pd Everyone has a duty to ride/travel/drive safely on the roads, that includes car and cyclists, motorbikes. Cyclists can prevent half the things that happen by simply being careful, and not undertaking, particularly large vehicles as this one was a very large van with high sides. She was going far too fast to stop in time and wasn't observing what was going on ahead. I totally disagree (having worked in the Mortuary office at the SGH) cyclists heads are VERY likely to be what kills them. A good quality cycle helmet and I mean good quality, mine cost £90. can mean the difference between living and dying....
S'alright, wasnt having a go, just offering an opinion incase newbies might read, or those that dont understand cycling. :-)
.
According to evidence presented to the Northern Ireland Assembly on their proposed helmet law it seems you're 19,000 times more likely to suffer from cancer than suffer a head injury on the road. :-o
.
The majority of cyclists hit and killed have been from internal body injuries. You would have to ride an average of 20 million miles, or for 500,000 years before being on the end of a fatal collision by bike.
.
My helmet cost about £60, I bought an EN1078 tested one by MET, the most basic of the standards, but it keeps the bugs out of my hair and the sun off my face when I ride. The important thing is not the cost but the standard, even then the effects are ambiguous in the event of collision.
.
Out of interest what was your job in the mortuary? I used to vaguely know one of the Morticians a few years back... well I say a few it was more like 15 *blush*
[quote][p][bold]freemantlegirl2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freemantlegirl2[/bold] wrote: Having been cut up several times today by a cyclist who was v. brave without a helmet on the inside of my car, and a van in front opened the passenger door in stationery traffic to drop someone off, how she managed to stop in time is beyond me..... If any of cyclists (and I have a bike also myself but haven't used it much lately admittedly) google the woman who was crushed to death by a cement lorry who didn't see her undertaking, then you would think again. This could have ended badly for this woman today, thank god it didn't. She swore at the van but it wasn't their fault whatsoever.. .undertake at your peril... there are many car drivers and motorbikes who are inconsiderate too obviously but this woman was soooo vulnerable and could have easily been killed. What irked me is she carried on doing it all the way down Hill Lane after her near miss! not suprised bike came first, all the roadworks are a nightmare plus we're getting ever more gridlocked. Cycling across common is great, again as long as it's done considerately :) it's healthier too. Hopefully I'll get mine out again but I'm def a fairweather cyclist and a very nervous one on these roads![/p][/quote]A couple of points come to mind.. the highway code clearly states to watch for cyclists filtering on both the left and the right, so the passenger opening the door was in the wrong as far as your comment described there. . When you say "cut up", do you mean the normal ebb and flow of busy, slow moving traffic? In that situation its often better to hold back in the car if you're simply going to be rejoining the back of another queue. This is something the IAM have taught over the years. . On helmets, it is important for all road users to realise there are limitations in both the properties it is designed for and the research/science around them. You are statistically very unlikely to hit your head whilst riding. . Cement lorry? There have been about 17 deaths last year involving large vehicles. I completely agree cyclists need to hold back and not undertake large vehicles, however many of those deaths have since been proven to have been the driver's fault (Elidh Cairns' case for example the driver just drove over the top of her and was p***ed; Patel's case iirc the driver attempted to overtake on a corner through a green light, etc). . The best thing any cyclist can do is read the cycle training literature, or even better book a National Standards training course (if you're under 16 you can often get free training on a Bikeability course). This will improve confidence, iron out riding problems - and importantly for large vehicle issues teach you when, where and how to filter safely. . Hmm security words: also-slow LOL![/p][/quote]Car drivers have to watch yes, hence me seeing her doh! I was also watching her weavingin and out nearly got hit about five tmes. However, as I said they are vulnerable. Bike users are strongly advised not to undercut vehicles, and particularly to watch for vehicles turning left. (this is what happened with the cement lorry). Whilst the lorry may also have been at fault, if I am on my bike and for the same of waiting a couple of seconds making sure I'm safe then I'm ruddy well going to do it!! This wasn't a go at cyclists, as I said I like to travel on a bike myself. However, I do abide by the laws of the road. That includes the right equipment. See here for rules for cyclists on the Highway Code here, and note equpment/lights/ridi ng on pavements/traffic signals (my worst bug bear with other cyclists...) http://www.bagitup.o rg.uk/files/HIGHWAY CODE Rules for cyclists.pd Everyone has a duty to ride/travel/drive safely on the roads, that includes car and cyclists, motorbikes. Cyclists can prevent half the things that happen by simply being careful, and not undertaking, particularly large vehicles as this one was a very large van with high sides. She was going far too fast to stop in time and wasn't observing what was going on ahead. I totally disagree (having worked in the Mortuary office at the SGH) cyclists heads are VERY likely to be what kills them. A good quality cycle helmet and I mean good quality, mine cost £90. can mean the difference between living and dying....[/p][/quote]S'alright, wasnt having a go, just offering an opinion incase newbies might read, or those that dont understand cycling. :-) . According to evidence presented to the Northern Ireland Assembly on their proposed helmet law it seems you're 19,000 times more likely to suffer from cancer than suffer a head injury on the road. :-o . The majority of cyclists hit and killed have been from internal body injuries. You would have to ride an average of 20 million miles, or for 500,000 years before being on the end of a fatal collision by bike. . My helmet cost about £60, I bought an EN1078 tested one by MET, the most basic of the standards, but it keeps the bugs out of my hair and the sun off my face when I ride. The important thing is not the cost but the standard, even then the effects are ambiguous in the event of collision. . Out of interest what was your job in the mortuary? I used to vaguely know one of the Morticians a few years back... well I say a few it was more like 15 *blush* downfader
  • Score: 0

8:00pm Thu 17 Mar 11

Georgem says...

Someone once told me that a cycling helmet was the difference between taking a few Nurofen, and learning to walk again...
Someone once told me that a cycling helmet was the difference between taking a few Nurofen, and learning to walk again... Georgem
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Thu 17 Mar 11

geoff51 says...

Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists.
Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are.
Wake up and join the real world!
Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world! geoff51
  • Score: 0

8:59pm Thu 17 Mar 11

downfader says...

geoff51 wrote:
Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world!
Thanks I will.
.
Oh wait, that wasnt a compliment was it...
;-)
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world![/p][/quote]Thanks I will. . Oh wait, that wasnt a compliment was it... ;-) downfader
  • Score: 0

9:33pm Thu 17 Mar 11

geoff51 says...

downfader wrote:
geoff51 wrote: Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world!
Thanks I will. . Oh wait, that wasnt a compliment was it... ;-)
Most definitely not a compliment!
[quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world![/p][/quote]Thanks I will. . Oh wait, that wasnt a compliment was it... ;-)[/p][/quote]Most definitely not a compliment! geoff51
  • Score: 0

9:38pm Thu 17 Mar 11

Headgardener says...

geoff51 wrote:
Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world!
And your real world is?
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world![/p][/quote]And your real world is? Headgardener
  • Score: 0

10:04pm Thu 17 Mar 11

downfader says...

Headgardener wrote:
geoff51 wrote: Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world!
And your real world is?
Sitting on the web moaning about cyclists it seems, LMAO!
[quote][p][bold]Headgardener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world![/p][/quote]And your real world is?[/p][/quote]Sitting on the web moaning about cyclists it seems, LMAO! downfader
  • Score: 0

10:05pm Thu 17 Mar 11

geoff51 says...

Headgardener wrote:
geoff51 wrote: Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world!
And your real world is?
When you pay for it you get to use it if its free you abuse it.
You work it out
[quote][p][bold]Headgardener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world![/p][/quote]And your real world is?[/p][/quote]When you pay for it you get to use it if its free you abuse it. You work it out geoff51
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Fri 18 Mar 11

downfader says...

geoff51 wrote:
Headgardener wrote:
geoff51 wrote: Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world!
And your real world is?
When you pay for it you get to use it if its free you abuse it. You work it out
What exactly are you paying for, LOL!? ;-P
.
Seriously though, cyclists dont get a free ride on the roads. They pay income tax, council tax, VAT and such just like the rest of the populas, which in the main is where the funding actually comes from for road building and maintenance.
.
Vehicle Excise Duty, even as reported by The Economist magazine, doesnt go very far. Its only £5.5bn. Fuel tax and vat on fuel is only about £24bn, infact around £50bn has to be found from the general taxation to plug the hole that is caused by the problems caused by motoring and motorists. Thats not an anti-motoring situation, just a reflection of fact.
.
Actually, I genuinely feel sorry for you. What is so bad in your life that you need to pick on the most innocuous of minority groups, and one that actually benefits non-participants?
[quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Headgardener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]geoff51[/bold] wrote: Now all you cycling bigots have answered my posts with insults and vitriol, I rest my case as you have just backed up my opinion of your superior attitude towards the rest of the public, be it pedestrians or motorists. Go back to patting each other on the back and congratulating yourself as to what a wonderful, ecologically superb member of the human race you are. Wake up and join the real world![/p][/quote]And your real world is?[/p][/quote]When you pay for it you get to use it if its free you abuse it. You work it out[/p][/quote]What exactly are you paying for, LOL!? ;-P . Seriously though, cyclists dont get a free ride on the roads. They pay income tax, council tax, VAT and such just like the rest of the populas, which in the main is where the funding actually comes from for road building and maintenance. . Vehicle Excise Duty, even as reported by The Economist magazine, doesnt go very far. Its only £5.5bn. Fuel tax and vat on fuel is only about £24bn, infact around £50bn has to be found from the general taxation to plug the hole that is caused by the problems caused by motoring and motorists. Thats not an anti-motoring situation, just a reflection of fact. . Actually, I genuinely feel sorry for you. What is so bad in your life that you need to pick on the most innocuous of minority groups, and one that actually benefits non-participants? downfader
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree