When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Eastleigh youngsters threatened teenager with 12in kitchen knives
THEY are the baby-faced thugs who subjected a 15-year-old boy to a terrifying knifepoint robbery.
Teenagers Jamie Summerton, James Carlton and Jonathan Gilham had armed themselves with kitchen knives to go on a tyre-slashing spree.
But when they saw their victim walking by a Hampshire park talking to his mum on his mobile phone, they decided to mug him.
Today the trio are behind bars after being locked up for a total of more than eight years.
In an unusual move, the judge made no order banning their identification so the Daily Echo can name and shame them and publish their photographs – even though one is just 15 years old.
Southampton Crown Court heard that the family of the victim had been so badly traumatised they were planning to move away from the area.
Prosecutor Frank Richardson said the 15-year-old victim was walking by Fleming Park, Eastleigh, as night fell on August 23.
The trio saw his phone light up, and decided as a group to “take him on”.
They surrounded the terrified youngster and demanded to know if he had a mobile phone.
Summerton had a 6in cheese knife and his accomplices had 12in kitchen knives. Carlton pressed his knife against the youth but the trio let him go and he ran off.
The teens chased him and after catching him up, the boy was pushed against a fence and his shirt was grabbed. Gilham told him: “We won’t hurt you if you give us the phone.”
The phone was taken from the victim’s pocket and the muggers ran off. The court heard that the phone was returned to the victim’s sister after word about the robbery got out.
In an impact statement, the victim said he was wary of seeing groups because he did not know what might happen, and his parents planned to move away from the area next year.
Summerton, 18, of Stoke Heights, Eastleigh; Carlton, 15, of Derby Road, Chandler’s Ford and Gilham, 17, of Verona Road, Chandler’s Ford, admitted robbery and possessing bladed articles. They were sent to a young offenders’ institution for 40 months, 36 months and 28 months respectively.
Judge John Boggis QC told them: “I am told news of the robbery went around the streets very quickly. I hope news of the sentence will go round just as quickly so that you and your chums will realise that if you carry knives and engage in this sort of activity, you will go into custody. No ifs, no buts.”
In mitigation for Summerton, Barry McElduff said alcohol and cannabis had played a major part in the incident and while on remand his client had been a model prisoner.
Roderick Blain, for Carlton, said although it was clearly a joint enterprise, he had not been the instigator and had gone along with it to impress his mates.
Peter Henry, for Gilham, said the robbery had not been pre-planned. He claimed his client had reluctantly gone along with it and had never pointed his knife at the victim.