When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Man found guilty of attack on cab driver
9:50am Tuesday 18th February 2014 in Crime
A JUDGE told a Southampton man convicted of robbery and assault: “The only question is how long your sentence will be.”
With that, Judge Peter Ralls QC further remanded Sean Griffiths in custody until February 21.
Griffiths, 27, of Gatwick Close, Lordshill, was convicted at the city crown court of robbing taxi driver Mamood Qazizede of money and causing him actual bodily harm.
Jurors took an hour to reach their verdict. They heard how the victim had collected Griffiths and another man in Millbrook about 4.30am on August 26 last year.
The pair said they had no money but offerd to give a mobile phone and a watch as security so he would drive them to their destination where they would pay the fare.
But after the cabbie refused to agree, the accomplice grabbed him from behind and struck him. Griffiths then opened the driver’s door and punched him before reaching into a door panel where he grabbed a bag containing about £50. The pair then ran off.
However, the robbery was captured on a security camera in the cab and a police officer recognised Griffiths who was arrested about a month later.
Griffifths, who denied both charges, said the other man had been responsible. He will also be sentenced for a breach of a suspended sentence.
Comments are closed on this article.