Southampton dad Mark Motteram jailed for stabbing man he lived with after death of their children's mother

Dad jailed for stabbing man he lived with after death of their children's mother

Mark Motteram

Anne Motteram

Mark Motteram and Steve Cook, along with some of their children

First published in Crime
Last updated

A SOUTHAMPTON dad has been jailed after stabbing a man he once lived with after the mother of their children died.

Mark Motteram and Steve Cook had vowed to bring up their children together under one roof after the children's mother suffered a fatal heart attack.

But their relationship broke down and ended in violence, a court heard.

Today Motteram, 45, is beginning a four year jail sentence after pleading guilty to stabbing Mr Cook with a kitchen knife.

Winchester Crown Court heard how the two men had sought to keep the four children of Motteram's ex-wife Anne together after she suffered a fatal heart attack in 2011, while heavily pregnant with Mr Cook's baby James, who died seven days later.

Motteram, who admitted to wounding with intent to cause serious harm, sat sobbing as prosecutor Tom Wright told how the men had once shared the same home in Burgess Road, Swaythling.

But the arrangement ended in a legal battle over the custody of the youngest child Catherine, now four.

The court was told that Motteram lunged at Mr Cook, 37, on November 2 last year, while shouting that he was going to kill him.

Sentencing Motteram, Mr Justice Teare said that while there were mitigating circumstances it did not excuse what he had done, adding: “Your offence is serious because of your admitted intent to do serious bodily harm.”

Speaking after the case Bob Light, pastor at the Flower of Justice Community Church, where the funerals for Anne Motteram and her baby were held on the same day, said it was a tragic case.

He said: “The family are devastated. It will take a very long time for them to come to terms with this.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:17pm Mon 7 Apr 14

arthur boutfaith says...

He stabbed him, it doesn't say he killed him.
He stabbed him, it doesn't say he killed him. arthur boutfaith
  • Score: 16

3:21pm Mon 7 Apr 14

minnie64 says...

sotonman2012 wrote:
This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER.

However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ?

Brain dead morons.
Cant see it says he killed him - says he stabbed him !!!! Obviously still very serious though
[quote][p][bold]sotonman2012[/bold] wrote: This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER. However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ? Brain dead morons.[/p][/quote]Cant see it says he killed him - says he stabbed him !!!! Obviously still very serious though minnie64
  • Score: 6

3:34pm Mon 7 Apr 14

JORDANELLA says...

I think you need to recheck your facts, he didn't kill him!!!
I think you need to recheck your facts, he didn't kill him!!! JORDANELLA
  • Score: 7

3:36pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Biglad21 says...

minnie64 wrote:
sotonman2012 wrote:
This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER.

However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ?

Brain dead morons.
Cant see it says he killed him - says he stabbed him !!!! Obviously still very serious though
no one was killed you moron
[quote][p][bold]minnie64[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonman2012[/bold] wrote: This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER. However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ? Brain dead morons.[/p][/quote]Cant see it says he killed him - says he stabbed him !!!! Obviously still very serious though[/p][/quote]no one was killed you moron Biglad21
  • Score: 7

4:24pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Outside of the Box says...

sotonman2012 wrote:
This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER.

However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ?

Brain dead morons.
Mark Motteram didn't kill anyone, he's not scum of the earth, when I knew him (before Anne sadly passed away) he was a hard working bloke who loved his and Anne's children. Luke is doing what any 20 years nipper would do, sticking up for his Dad.

Get a grip Sotonman2012 and learn to read before posting such bile.
[quote][p][bold]sotonman2012[/bold] wrote: This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER. However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ? Brain dead morons.[/p][/quote]Mark Motteram didn't kill anyone, he's not scum of the earth, when I knew him (before Anne sadly passed away) he was a hard working bloke who loved his and Anne's children. Luke is doing what any 20 years nipper would do, sticking up for his Dad. Get a grip Sotonman2012 and learn to read before posting such bile. Outside of the Box
  • Score: 17

5:40pm Mon 7 Apr 14

Huey says...

Biglad21 wrote:
minnie64 wrote:
sotonman2012 wrote:
This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER.

However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ?

Brain dead morons.
Cant see it says he killed him - says he stabbed him !!!! Obviously still very serious though
no one was killed you moron
Ahahahahahaha
[quote][p][bold]Biglad21[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]minnie64[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonman2012[/bold] wrote: This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER. However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ? Brain dead morons.[/p][/quote]Cant see it says he killed him - says he stabbed him !!!! Obviously still very serious though[/p][/quote]no one was killed you moron[/p][/quote]Ahahahahahaha Huey
  • Score: 4

5:48pm Mon 7 Apr 14

sotonman2012 says...

Hands up I made a massive mistake when reading the title of this story, so sorry for my disrespectful comments.

Every man & women has a limit, looks like Mark reached his, thoughts with Mark's family & thoughts with the victim aswell. Sorry again.
Hands up I made a massive mistake when reading the title of this story, so sorry for my disrespectful comments. Every man & women has a limit, looks like Mark reached his, thoughts with Mark's family & thoughts with the victim aswell. Sorry again. sotonman2012
  • Score: 34

7:19pm Mon 7 Apr 14

JennyC87 says...

sotonman2012 wrote:
This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER.

However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ?

Brain dead morons.
You utter moron!!
[quote][p][bold]sotonman2012[/bold] wrote: This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER. However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ? Brain dead morons.[/p][/quote]You utter moron!! JennyC87
  • Score: -7

8:10pm Mon 7 Apr 14

userds5050 says...

JennyC87 wrote:
sotonman2012 wrote:
This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER.

However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ?

Brain dead morons.
You utter moron!!
Hey, the guy was man enough to apologise.
[quote][p][bold]JennyC87[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonman2012[/bold] wrote: This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER. However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ? Brain dead morons.[/p][/quote]You utter moron!![/p][/quote]Hey, the guy was man enough to apologise. userds5050
  • Score: 13

1:42am Tue 8 Apr 14

Outside of the Box says...

sotonman2012 wrote:
Hands up I made a massive mistake when reading the title of this story, so sorry for my disrespectful comments.

Every man & women has a limit, looks like Mark reached his, thoughts with Mark's family & thoughts with the victim aswell. Sorry again.
Fair play to you for the apology
[quote][p][bold]sotonman2012[/bold] wrote: Hands up I made a massive mistake when reading the title of this story, so sorry for my disrespectful comments. Every man & women has a limit, looks like Mark reached his, thoughts with Mark's family & thoughts with the victim aswell. Sorry again.[/p][/quote]Fair play to you for the apology Outside of the Box
  • Score: 6

7:40am Tue 8 Apr 14

Naya says...

sotonman2012 wrote:
This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER.

However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ?

Brain dead morons.
What do you know about Mark?? Nothing!!
So keep your ignorant comments to yourself and go play on train track or something, No one would care...
[quote][p][bold]sotonman2012[/bold] wrote: This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER. However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ? Brain dead morons.[/p][/quote]What do you know about Mark?? Nothing!! So keep your ignorant comments to yourself and go play on train track or something, No one would care... Naya
  • Score: -5

7:46am Tue 8 Apr 14

Naya says...

Naya wrote:
sotonman2012 wrote:
This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER.

However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ?

Brain dead morons.
What do you know about Mark?? Nothing!!
So keep your ignorant comments to yourself and go play on train track or something, No one would care...
I noticed you apologise, fair play
Its good to know you have conscience.
[quote][p][bold]Naya[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonman2012[/bold] wrote: This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER. However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ? Brain dead morons.[/p][/quote]What do you know about Mark?? Nothing!! So keep your ignorant comments to yourself and go play on train track or something, No one would care...[/p][/quote]I noticed you apologise, fair play Its good to know you have conscience. Naya
  • Score: 1

8:39am Tue 8 Apr 14

Charlie Bucket says...

userds5050 wrote:
JennyC87 wrote:
sotonman2012 wrote:
This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER.

However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ?

Brain dead morons.
You utter moron!!
Hey, the guy was man enough to apologise.
Absolutely spot-on. Everyone here moans that people never admit when they're wrong. Well, you wonder why, when all they get is snide jeering for their trouble. Admitting when you're wrong is only half the battle, the rest of us have to have the good grace to accept that admission.
[quote][p][bold]userds5050[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JennyC87[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonman2012[/bold] wrote: This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER. However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ? Brain dead morons.[/p][/quote]You utter moron!![/p][/quote]Hey, the guy was man enough to apologise.[/p][/quote]Absolutely spot-on. Everyone here moans that people never admit when they're wrong. Well, you wonder why, when all they get is snide jeering for their trouble. Admitting when you're wrong is only half the battle, the rest of us have to have the good grace to accept that admission. Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 2

11:12am Tue 8 Apr 14

Charlie Bucket says...

Naya wrote:
sotonman2012 wrote:
This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER.

However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ?

Brain dead morons.
What do you know about Mark?? Nothing!!
So keep your ignorant comments to yourself and go play on train track or something, No one would care...
Well aren't you a charmer!
[quote][p][bold]Naya[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonman2012[/bold] wrote: This Mark Motteram is the scum of the earth, yes he's had a hard time what with his wife dying, but now he's left his children with no parents whatsoever, how can a judge sentence this man to four years is beyond me, he didn't give him a slap HE KILLED HIM ! He got a knife & hunted him down whilst shouting "I'll kill you" THAT'S MURDER. However his son Luke Motteram has posted all over Facebook this afternoon stating it was "Minor offence" "not that serious" since when has killing someone been a minor offence & not that serious ? Brain dead morons.[/p][/quote]What do you know about Mark?? Nothing!! So keep your ignorant comments to yourself and go play on train track or something, No one would care...[/p][/quote]Well aren't you a charmer! Charlie Bucket
  • Score: 0

1:21am Wed 9 Apr 14

Rinders says...

A man, grieving for his partner and new born baby was stabbed in the most awful way. I have no doubt that he feared for his life on hearing the attacker's cry that he was going to kill him while wielding a knife. Justice has been served, and I hope both men and their children can now find some peace. Such a tragic story and my heart goes out to the victim and his little girl - who thank heavens was not left orphaned by this attack.
A man, grieving for his partner and new born baby was stabbed in the most awful way. I have no doubt that he feared for his life on hearing the attacker's cry that he was going to kill him while wielding a knife. Justice has been served, and I hope both men and their children can now find some peace. Such a tragic story and my heart goes out to the victim and his little girl - who thank heavens was not left orphaned by this attack. Rinders
  • Score: 5

6:56pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Bonjovigirl says...

Let's just say Anne would be so proud of you mark, what an idiot ! You have let down all Anne's kids, you are missing out on all their lives, They are better off without you,All this because of custody over Catherine who everyone knew wasn't yours! She is where she belongs with her dad,Don't you think you let her down as well,what do you think she thought when she saw you stab her dad? All those magazine and paper deals you got paid for for your sob story, did you put it in trust for Anne's kids no you spent it on crap ! You use people all the time, only want your family when you are in trouble but too late this time everyone has had enough bailing you out all the time ! And for Luke to say it's only a minor offence is bloody stupid, what would you have done if Cookie had died ??? Thank god you are in prison and away from those kids, hopefully they will get a better life in foster care, and all those people who will say 'You don't know Mark, He's a kind man ' you have been duped like the rest, unfortunate for me I'm related !
Let's just say Anne would be so proud of you mark, what an idiot ! You have let down all Anne's kids, you are missing out on all their lives, They are better off without you,All this because of custody over Catherine who everyone knew wasn't yours! She is where she belongs with her dad,Don't you think you let her down as well,what do you think she thought when she saw you stab her dad? All those magazine and paper deals you got paid for for your sob story, did you put it in trust for Anne's kids no you spent it on crap ! You use people all the time, only want your family when you are in trouble but too late this time everyone has had enough bailing you out all the time ! And for Luke to say it's only a minor offence is bloody stupid, what would you have done if Cookie had died ??? Thank god you are in prison and away from those kids, hopefully they will get a better life in foster care, and all those people who will say 'You don't know Mark, He's a kind man ' you have been duped like the rest, unfortunate for me I'm related ! Bonjovigirl
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree