Woman dies in flat fire in Stubbington

The scene of the fire in Marks Road, Stubbington

The scene of the fire in Marks Road, Stubbington

First published in Fareham Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Crime Reporter

A WOMAN has died after a fire ripped through two Hampshire flats last night.

The woman, in her 50's, was killed in the blaze at Spencer Court, Marks Road, in Stubbington , at 11.23pm.

It took 30 minutes for more than 20 firefighters from from Fareham , Gosport and Cosham to put out the flames, which had started in the ground floor flat.

Another person was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

A police and fire investigation will be launched today.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service's area manager Steve Foye said: “This was a tragic incident and our thoughts are with the woman’s family at this time.

“Our firefighters managed to bring the fire under control and extinguish it in the face of extreme conditions but were sadly unable to save the woman.”

A joint investigation between Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and Hampshire Constabulary is now taking place. The fire is not being treated as suspicious.

He added: “There are a number of steps people can take to reduce the chances of a similar tragedy occurring in their home.

“Carry out checks before bed to ensure all heaters and cookers are turned off and that candles and cigarettes are properly extinguished.

“Keep exits clear and close inside doors at night to prevent fires spreading.

“Smoke detectors should always be fitted on every floor of a home and the battery tested once a week to ensure it is working properly.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree