A WOMAN has died after a fire ripped through two Hampshire flats last night.

The woman, in her 50's, was killed in the blaze at Spencer Court, Marks Road, in Stubbington , at 11.23pm.

It took 30 minutes for more than 20 firefighters from from Fareham , Gosport and Cosham to put out the flames, which had started in the ground floor flat.

Another person was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

A police and fire investigation will be launched today.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service's area manager Steve Foye said: “This was a tragic incident and our thoughts are with the woman’s family at this time.

“Our firefighters managed to bring the fire under control and extinguish it in the face of extreme conditions but were sadly unable to save the woman.”

A joint investigation between Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and Hampshire Constabulary is now taking place. The fire is not being treated as suspicious.

He added: “There are a number of steps people can take to reduce the chances of a similar tragedy occurring in their home.

“Carry out checks before bed to ensure all heaters and cookers are turned off and that candles and cigarettes are properly extinguished.

“Keep exits clear and close inside doors at night to prevent fires spreading.

“Smoke detectors should always be fitted on every floor of a home and the battery tested once a week to ensure it is working properly.”