Bosses of the Wiggle New Forest Race have vowed to re-route the event after a row about ponies

Cyclists taking part in a Wiggle cycling event in the New Forest

Cyclists taking part in a Wiggle cycling event in the New Forest

First published in New Forest Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter, New Forest

CYCLE event bosses are poised to slam the brakes on plans to send thousands of riders through the middle of a pony round-up.

They have vowed to re-route the Wiggle New Forest 100 Sportive after a stand-off with the organisation in charge of the animals.

Round-ups, known as drifts, enable experts to assess the health of each pony and are seen as a vital part of Forest life.

Daily Echo: Are we eating New Forest pony in our burgers?

A new row has broken out over the Wiggle due to New Forest Ponies

Last year one of the drifts was cancelled to prevent it clashing with the 2013 Sportive based at New Park, Brockenhurst – home of the New Forest Show.

But the Verderers are refusing to give way over a similar round-up due to be held at nearby Balmer Lawn in October.

The issue was raised at the Court of Verderers, with speakers accusing Martin Barden, director of UK Cycling Events, of ignoring a new cycling charter published by the National Park Authority.

Official Verderer Dominic May said a list of all round-ups due to take place in the Forest was issued in January.

He said he wrote to Mr Barden last month and asked him to alter the route of the Sportive to prevent cyclists clashing with ponies being herded along the B3055 from Balmer Lawn to Hatchet Pond.

The two men met last week to discuss the issue.

Mr May said: “Mr Barden acknowledged that he had received our list of drift dates in January. He also confirmed that he will sign up to the charter as it is currently worded.

“I made it clear that the Verderers will not be cancelling the Balmer Lawn drift, which is one of the biggest and most important of the season.

“Unfortunately Mr Barden would not confirm during our discussion that he will change the route or the date.”

Daily Echo: Wiggle participants setting out from New Park, Brockenhurst last June.

Speaking after the meeting Mr Barden said he only found out about the potential clash last week.

He added: “We have been working hard to re-route our course to avoid the drift. This is not a quick job as the planning and various risk assessments take time.

“We are keen to work with the Verderers to resolve this issue and hope the Verderers are willing to do the same.”

Asked about the list of round-ups sent out in January Mr Barden added: “This information was issued after our event was announced and does not identify the roads that will be affected, making clashes impossible to avoid.”

Following the cancellation of last year’s drift New Forest Show bosses banned mass cycling events from their land.

As reported in the Daily Echo, the events are now based at Matchams, near Ringwood.

Opponents of mass cycle rides have tried to sabotage at least three of the events by placing nails in the road.

Comments (37)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:12am Thu 19 Jun 14

saint61 says...

It's all getting very very boring now..............sha
me year after year that children can't play together.
It's all getting very very boring now..............sha me year after year that children can't play together. saint61
  • Score: -2

6:20am Thu 19 Jun 14

townieboy says...

Ponies have more standing in the New Forest than alot of partime peddlers. More events stopped the better, until they get the message.
Ponies have more standing in the New Forest than alot of partime peddlers. More events stopped the better, until they get the message. townieboy
  • Score: -8

6:23am Thu 19 Jun 14

loosehead says...

Surely the list should have had the exact route the drift was using?
Surely the list should have had the exact route the drift was using? loosehead
  • Score: 8

7:24am Thu 19 Jun 14

elvisimo says...

townieboy wrote:
Ponies have more standing in the New Forest than alot of partime peddlers. More events stopped the better, until they get the message.
How tedious
[quote][p][bold]townieboy[/bold] wrote: Ponies have more standing in the New Forest than alot of partime peddlers. More events stopped the better, until they get the message.[/p][/quote]How tedious elvisimo
  • Score: -15

8:31am Thu 19 Jun 14

Portland Saint says...

loosehead wrote:
Surely the list should have had the exact route the drift was using?
Perhaps they should have consulted the ponies to ascertain their exact location at the time of the drift so theat could be considered and the roads used identified. You seem to know nothing about Forest life and tradition.
[quote][p][bold]loosehead[/bold] wrote: Surely the list should have had the exact route the drift was using?[/p][/quote]Perhaps they should have consulted the ponies to ascertain their exact location at the time of the drift so theat could be considered and the roads used identified. You seem to know nothing about Forest life and tradition. Portland Saint
  • Score: 0

8:47am Thu 19 Jun 14

camerajuan says...

"It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no?

They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic?
"It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no? They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic? camerajuan
  • Score: 21

9:29am Thu 19 Jun 14

For pity sake says...

Suggest they reroute the ride to the middle of the Solent - problem solved.
Suggest they reroute the ride to the middle of the Solent - problem solved. For pity sake
  • Score: -3

9:31am Thu 19 Jun 14

Torchie1 says...

camerajuan wrote:
"It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no?

They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic?
The worst case scenario for the world of lycra is that you'll have to pedal down a different road. Why all the dramatics?
[quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: "It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no? They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic?[/p][/quote]The worst case scenario for the world of lycra is that you'll have to pedal down a different road. Why all the dramatics? Torchie1
  • Score: 20

9:46am Thu 19 Jun 14

Quite Frankly says...

Is it a race, Echo, or are you just trying to stir up the nimbies?

In most other parts of the country, and overseas, cycling events are welcomed and encouraged. Just a few malcontents in the forest, who make a disproportionate amount of noise. Not a story, Echo.
Is it a race, Echo, or are you just trying to stir up the nimbies? In most other parts of the country, and overseas, cycling events are welcomed and encouraged. Just a few malcontents in the forest, who make a disproportionate amount of noise. Not a story, Echo. Quite Frankly
  • Score: 3

9:51am Thu 19 Jun 14

Frank28 says...

Mr Barden has got to be mindful of his duty of care to the event participants and their safety during the entire event. Should there be any incidents involving wild animals colliding with cyclists, and injured riders can show that the route/event during a Drift put them in unwarranted danger. then he could be liable to litigation and damages. Remember, we live in a compensatory society these days, and the smallest mishap can have huge consequences.
Mr Barden has got to be mindful of his duty of care to the event participants and their safety during the entire event. Should there be any incidents involving wild animals colliding with cyclists, and injured riders can show that the route/event during a Drift put them in unwarranted danger. then he could be liable to litigation and damages. Remember, we live in a compensatory society these days, and the smallest mishap can have huge consequences. Frank28
  • Score: 12

10:19am Thu 19 Jun 14

Jesus_02 says...

Everyone loves Bradley Wiggins...Just not on "our roads". And certainly not ordinary people.

oooh that lycra...its positively insightful, they should be made to wear Harrison Tweed and Flat caps and travel at less than 10 miles per arh...

Ladies should simply not cycle, it’s a question of morality. Cross stitch is a much more acceptable pass time. You don’t see quilting circle getting in the way of my Landy.
Everyone loves Bradley Wiggins...Just not on "our roads". And certainly not ordinary people. oooh that lycra...its positively insightful, they should be made to wear Harrison Tweed and Flat caps and travel at less than 10 miles per arh... Ladies should simply not cycle, it’s a question of morality. Cross stitch is a much more acceptable pass time. You don’t see quilting circle getting in the way of my Landy. Jesus_02
  • Score: 15

10:53am Thu 19 Jun 14

Forest Resident says...

Verderers announced this drift AFTER the cycle event date/route was published, it's they (verderers) who are at fault for childishly stamping their feet after because someone else is playing with their favourite toy. The verderers need to grow up, their behaviour is becoming embarrassing to the entire New Forest.
Verderers announced this drift AFTER the cycle event date/route was published, it's they (verderers) who are at fault for childishly stamping their feet after because someone else is playing with their favourite toy. The verderers need to grow up, their behaviour is becoming embarrassing to the entire New Forest. Forest Resident
  • Score: 14

11:53am Thu 19 Jun 14

RomseyKeith says...

Forest Resident wrote:
Verderers announced this drift AFTER the cycle event date/route was published, it's they (verderers) who are at fault for childishly stamping their feet after because someone else is playing with their favourite toy. The verderers need to grow up, their behaviour is becoming embarrassing to the entire New Forest.
True. It could always be a lot worse than a cycle event. What if it was the New Forest music festival, the size of which would rival Glastonbury. All the serene beauty disrupted with loud music, drunk and drugged up revellers, porter cabins, beer cans and other rubbish, damaged ground from a myriad of tents and stages, etc....
[quote][p][bold]Forest Resident[/bold] wrote: Verderers announced this drift AFTER the cycle event date/route was published, it's they (verderers) who are at fault for childishly stamping their feet after because someone else is playing with their favourite toy. The verderers need to grow up, their behaviour is becoming embarrassing to the entire New Forest.[/p][/quote]True. It could always be a lot worse than a cycle event. What if it was the New Forest music festival, the size of which would rival Glastonbury. All the serene beauty disrupted with loud music, drunk and drugged up revellers, porter cabins, beer cans and other rubbish, damaged ground from a myriad of tents and stages, etc.... RomseyKeith
  • Score: 1

12:08pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Marchwoodlocal says...

It's not a race so stop calling it a race please
It's not a race so stop calling it a race please Marchwoodlocal
  • Score: 2

1:07pm Thu 19 Jun 14

housewife says...

It IS a race, but pretends it isn't so it does not have to comply with the safety rules around races.
If the organisers were more honest, the people in the Forest would be less **** off.
It IS a race, but pretends it isn't so it does not have to comply with the safety rules around races. If the organisers were more honest, the people in the Forest would be less **** off. housewife
  • Score: -5

1:20pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Hastagger says...

Almost as boring as sailing... #yawn #hatersgonnahate
Almost as boring as sailing... #yawn #hatersgonnahate Hastagger
  • Score: 2

1:25pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Marchwoodlocal says...

housewife wrote:
It IS a race, but pretends it isn't so it does not have to comply with the safety rules around races.
If the organisers were more honest, the people in the Forest would be less **** off.
Its really not.

I have taken part in a sportive before, they are often around 100 miles @17mph, a race is 30-50 miles @23mph.

A race has lead cars out front and behind.

A race is limited to 40ish people, a sportive has many more entrants.

There is a massive difference between a sportive and a race. They are very different.
[quote][p][bold]housewife[/bold] wrote: It IS a race, but pretends it isn't so it does not have to comply with the safety rules around races. If the organisers were more honest, the people in the Forest would be less **** off.[/p][/quote]Its really not. I have taken part in a sportive before, they are often around 100 miles @17mph, a race is 30-50 miles @23mph. A race has lead cars out front and behind. A race is limited to 40ish people, a sportive has many more entrants. There is a massive difference between a sportive and a race. They are very different. Marchwoodlocal
  • Score: 1

1:31pm Thu 19 Jun 14

camerajuan says...

Torchie1 wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
"It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no?

They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic?
The worst case scenario for the world of lycra is that you'll have to pedal down a different road. Why all the dramatics?
Again with the lycra, obsessed are you?

There are no dramatics involved apart from the Verderers insistence that a ride's route be changed because they refuse to change their route despite arranging their event last.

First come first served. The cycle event was scheduled first. The Verderers should reschedule theirs. That's how bookings work in all walks of life. "Oh you can't do table for four at 8? Can you do 9?"
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: "It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no? They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic?[/p][/quote]The worst case scenario for the world of lycra is that you'll have to pedal down a different road. Why all the dramatics?[/p][/quote]Again with the lycra, obsessed are you? There are no dramatics involved apart from the Verderers insistence that a ride's route be changed because they refuse to change their route despite arranging their event last. First come first served. The cycle event was scheduled first. The Verderers should reschedule theirs. That's how bookings work in all walks of life. "Oh you can't do table for four at 8? Can you do 9?" camerajuan
  • Score: -2

1:36pm Thu 19 Jun 14

AFrustratedCyclist says...

And the other side of the storey without the echo's clickbait/verderer agenda twisting the facts!

http://tinyurl.com/k
e3bw3v
And the other side of the storey without the echo's clickbait/verderer agenda twisting the facts! http://tinyurl.com/k e3bw3v AFrustratedCyclist
  • Score: -1

2:06pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Torchie1 says...

camerajuan wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
"It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no?

They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic?
The worst case scenario for the world of lycra is that you'll have to pedal down a different road. Why all the dramatics?
Again with the lycra, obsessed are you?

There are no dramatics involved apart from the Verderers insistence that a ride's route be changed because they refuse to change their route despite arranging their event last.

First come first served. The cycle event was scheduled first. The Verderers should reschedule theirs. That's how bookings work in all walks of life. "Oh you can't do table for four at 8? Can you do 9?"
I don't think you have even the loosest grasp on the hierarchy of the New Forest but you ought to just accept that bicycles will always be a poor second to horses, and getting tearful about 'we booked first' isn't going to change anything. One bit of tarmac is the same as another to a lycra lover but the Drift has to be carried out in a very specific area because that's where the ponies traditionally are to be found and rounded up. Learn to be flexible or learn to live with disappointment.
[quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: "It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no? They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic?[/p][/quote]The worst case scenario for the world of lycra is that you'll have to pedal down a different road. Why all the dramatics?[/p][/quote]Again with the lycra, obsessed are you? There are no dramatics involved apart from the Verderers insistence that a ride's route be changed because they refuse to change their route despite arranging their event last. First come first served. The cycle event was scheduled first. The Verderers should reschedule theirs. That's how bookings work in all walks of life. "Oh you can't do table for four at 8? Can you do 9?"[/p][/quote]I don't think you have even the loosest grasp on the hierarchy of the New Forest but you ought to just accept that bicycles will always be a poor second to horses, and getting tearful about 'we booked first' isn't going to change anything. One bit of tarmac is the same as another to a lycra lover but the Drift has to be carried out in a very specific area because that's where the ponies traditionally are to be found and rounded up. Learn to be flexible or learn to live with disappointment. Torchie1
  • Score: -1

2:09pm Thu 19 Jun 14

JustSaying. says...

For pity sake wrote:
Suggest they reroute the ride to the middle of the Solent - problem solved.
Thank you for this comment, I needed to get myself exercising again but was struggling for motivatation. This kind of narrow minded, bigoted opinion is all the encouragement I need to dig out my lycra and head back into the forest again.

I will probably even sign up for the Wiggle event.
[quote][p][bold]For pity sake[/bold] wrote: Suggest they reroute the ride to the middle of the Solent - problem solved.[/p][/quote]Thank you for this comment, I needed to get myself exercising again but was struggling for motivatation. This kind of narrow minded, bigoted opinion is all the encouragement I need to dig out my lycra and head back into the forest again. I will probably even sign up for the Wiggle event. JustSaying.
  • Score: 1

2:14pm Thu 19 Jun 14

AFrustratedCyclist says...

Torchie1, read the article I linked to.

They are re-routing it! and they said at the first meeting that they'd get back to them once they check out the other options. They are cooperating fully, absolute non storey to whip up the cycling haters on here, 100% predictable Echo clickbait!
Torchie1, read the article I linked to. They are re-routing it! and they said at the first meeting that they'd get back to them once they check out the other options. They are cooperating fully, absolute non storey to whip up the cycling haters on here, 100% predictable Echo clickbait! AFrustratedCyclist
  • Score: -1

3:13pm Thu 19 Jun 14

camerajuan says...

Torchie1 wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
"It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no?

They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic?
The worst case scenario for the world of lycra is that you'll have to pedal down a different road. Why all the dramatics?
Again with the lycra, obsessed are you?

There are no dramatics involved apart from the Verderers insistence that a ride's route be changed because they refuse to change their route despite arranging their event last.

First come first served. The cycle event was scheduled first. The Verderers should reschedule theirs. That's how bookings work in all walks of life. "Oh you can't do table for four at 8? Can you do 9?"
I don't think you have even the loosest grasp on the hierarchy of the New Forest but you ought to just accept that bicycles will always be a poor second to horses, and getting tearful about 'we booked first' isn't going to change anything. One bit of tarmac is the same as another to a lycra lover but the Drift has to be carried out in a very specific area because that's where the ponies traditionally are to be found and rounded up. Learn to be flexible or learn to live with disappointment.
Wah wah, our ponies can only be found here. Wah wah.

If you book first, you have the first say over that timeslot. The Verderers are whining like their mules. Have their walk the next day. I bet if they booked first there wouldn't be a story about UK Cycling crying their eyes out and demanding they change it.

No. They'd re-route it or have it another day. There are 365 of them. They just want to start a pointless fight against cyclists like always. I've accepted that's never going to change.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: "It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no? They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic?[/p][/quote]The worst case scenario for the world of lycra is that you'll have to pedal down a different road. Why all the dramatics?[/p][/quote]Again with the lycra, obsessed are you? There are no dramatics involved apart from the Verderers insistence that a ride's route be changed because they refuse to change their route despite arranging their event last. First come first served. The cycle event was scheduled first. The Verderers should reschedule theirs. That's how bookings work in all walks of life. "Oh you can't do table for four at 8? Can you do 9?"[/p][/quote]I don't think you have even the loosest grasp on the hierarchy of the New Forest but you ought to just accept that bicycles will always be a poor second to horses, and getting tearful about 'we booked first' isn't going to change anything. One bit of tarmac is the same as another to a lycra lover but the Drift has to be carried out in a very specific area because that's where the ponies traditionally are to be found and rounded up. Learn to be flexible or learn to live with disappointment.[/p][/quote]Wah wah, our ponies can only be found here. Wah wah. If you book first, you have the first say over that timeslot. The Verderers are whining like their mules. Have their walk the next day. I bet if they booked first there wouldn't be a story about UK Cycling crying their eyes out and demanding they change it. No. They'd re-route it or have it another day. There are 365 of them. They just want to start a pointless fight against cyclists like always. I've accepted that's never going to change. camerajuan
  • Score: -2

3:15pm Thu 19 Jun 14

loosehead says...

Surely the drift should be banned as the roads are congested already according to the NIMBY opponents to either Dibden or Marchwood being run as a Port even though one already is?
So NO to jobs & development.
NO to SPORT & healthy exercise as we can't drive our four wheel drives or our horses on the road that day?
Exactly what do the NIMBY's think is acceptable for the New Forest the Kings HUNTING forest in other words a Forest for leisure?
Surely the drift should be banned as the roads are congested already according to the NIMBY opponents to either Dibden or Marchwood being run as a Port even though one already is? So NO to jobs & development. NO to SPORT & healthy exercise as we can't drive our four wheel drives or our horses on the road that day? Exactly what do the NIMBY's think is acceptable for the New Forest the Kings HUNTING forest in other words a Forest for leisure? loosehead
  • Score: -5

5:29pm Thu 19 Jun 14

forest hump says...

If it is not a race then what is the objective? The forest ponies have been subject to drifts for many years. Probably long before backsides wiggled on seats. It is not a case of "we were here first" but for the Forest to mange the livestock in a professional manner, these events must happen. Leisurely bike rides should not take priority.
If it is not a race then what is the objective? The forest ponies have been subject to drifts for many years. Probably long before backsides wiggled on seats. It is not a case of "we were here first" but for the Forest to mange the livestock in a professional manner, these events must happen. Leisurely bike rides should not take priority. forest hump
  • Score: 4

5:38pm Thu 19 Jun 14

housewife says...

The Wiggle event is a Time Trial on public roads without the proper safety supervision that they would need if they called it a race.
.
THOUSANDS of bikes, many of which are against the clock to get a "gold" time award hurtling among the pedestrians and residents and animals.
.
They start at Matchams because they have been banned from starting in the Forest.
.
Maybe they should just ride in normal countryside rather than a National Park?
The Wiggle event is a Time Trial on public roads without the proper safety supervision that they would need if they called it a race. . THOUSANDS of bikes, many of which are against the clock to get a "gold" time award hurtling among the pedestrians and residents and animals. . They start at Matchams because they have been banned from starting in the Forest. . Maybe they should just ride in normal countryside rather than a National Park? housewife
  • Score: 0

5:39pm Thu 19 Jun 14

loosehead says...

forest hump wrote:
If it is not a race then what is the objective? The forest ponies have been subject to drifts for many years. Probably long before backsides wiggled on seats. It is not a case of "we were here first" but for the Forest to mange the livestock in a professional manner, these events must happen. Leisurely bike rides should not take priority.
But this isn't the argument.the cycle event organisers were given dates but not routes so organised a cycle event.
Asked about the list of round-ups sent out in January Mr Barden added: “This information was issued after our event was announced and does not identify the roads that will be affected, making clashes impossible to avoid.”
so why no routes?
[quote][p][bold]forest hump[/bold] wrote: If it is not a race then what is the objective? The forest ponies have been subject to drifts for many years. Probably long before backsides wiggled on seats. It is not a case of "we were here first" but for the Forest to mange the livestock in a professional manner, these events must happen. Leisurely bike rides should not take priority.[/p][/quote]But this isn't the argument.the cycle event organisers were given dates but not routes so organised a cycle event. Asked about the list of round-ups sent out in January Mr Barden added: “This information was issued after our event was announced and does not identify the roads that will be affected, making clashes impossible to avoid.” so why no routes? loosehead
  • Score: -2

5:40pm Thu 19 Jun 14

loosehead says...

housewife wrote:
The Wiggle event is a Time Trial on public roads without the proper safety supervision that they would need if they called it a race.
.
THOUSANDS of bikes, many of which are against the clock to get a "gold" time award hurtling among the pedestrians and residents and animals.
.
They start at Matchams because they have been banned from starting in the Forest.
.
Maybe they should just ride in normal countryside rather than a National Park?
Don't you get it it's a NATIONAL PARK for the NATION not just you who are lucky enough to live there.
[quote][p][bold]housewife[/bold] wrote: The Wiggle event is a Time Trial on public roads without the proper safety supervision that they would need if they called it a race. . THOUSANDS of bikes, many of which are against the clock to get a "gold" time award hurtling among the pedestrians and residents and animals. . They start at Matchams because they have been banned from starting in the Forest. . Maybe they should just ride in normal countryside rather than a National Park?[/p][/quote]Don't you get it it's a NATIONAL PARK for the NATION not just you who are lucky enough to live there. loosehead
  • Score: -2

8:20pm Thu 19 Jun 14

housewife says...

I do not live in the Forest.
Nor do most of the tourists who enjoy the forest without having to be in huge groups cycling on a time trial.
Wiggle push their luck with numbers and refusing to admit its a race.
I do not live in the Forest. Nor do most of the tourists who enjoy the forest without having to be in huge groups cycling on a time trial. Wiggle push their luck with numbers and refusing to admit its a race. housewife
  • Score: 3

9:18am Fri 20 Jun 14

AFrustratedCyclist says...

housewife

It is NOT! a time trial or a race, if you had ever seen either you would clearly see they are nothing alike, average speed on the wiggle events is roughly half what it is on your average time trial.

I suspect your faux outrage is just that, have you even been in the Forest when one of the events is on? I doubt it! You don't even live here yet are expressing your outrage on behalf of the residents.

Well I am a resident, the wiggle event has passed my house some years and I've been out in my car in the forest and on my bike when the events have been on, but haven’t ever taken part myself. Half a dozen friends have though from parts of the country (who’ve stayed in B&B’s and hotels eaten and drunk in local pubs/restaurants) . They, I and my neighbours have had no bother at all in getting about our daily business on those weekends.

You say the cyclist are hurtling towards pedestrians and animals, yet there has not been a single animal killed or injured due to a cyclist since records began (the one incident with a horse and cyclist that I’m aware of was caused by a little girl throwing an apple at a pony, spooking it into the path of a cyclist and it was not seriously injured if at all, lucky it wasn’t a car! Shall we ban little girls and apples from they forest as they statistically pose a greater proven risk to wildlife?) Yet motorists kill 60-70 ponies a year and there have been a number of pedestrian and cyclists deaths (no related to any events) and injury's again caused by motorists. They delays in safely passing the cyclists when an event is on is absolutely nothing in comparison to the daily car park that is Lyndhurst every single day in the summer months (lets not mention the miles of queues of traffic for the new forest show and/or every other weekend when a show is on a Beaulieu), I thankfully manage to avoid Lyndhurst most of the time but my wife has it almost everyday because she work in the village (no tourism related, but she accepts it as part of living and working where she does in a NATIONAL PARK!). I did get stuck for quite a while try to get to a fathers day lunch near Beaulieu last weekend as it happens because of a car show, but all was ok we made it in time no harm done, and I hope the car fans had a nice day too.

The base for the event has not been banned from the forest as you say, it's just the few influential nimby’s have pressured the venues\council into making it as difficult as possible for them. And in doing so have pushed much of the economic good that an event like this bring to areas outside of the forest, no doubt costing local small businesses money in the process. But hey the Verderers and commoners don't rely on tourist do they, so screw everybody in the forest that does right!? Shame on them!

But hey don't let the facts get in the way of your rant and faux outrage at something which has in no way affected you whatsoever! And most of that goes for most of the other cycle haters on here too! You know who you are.

Oh and yes I can and will admit there will be a few idiots who do the events but lets not let a few ruin the enjoyment of the many from visiting the national park and taking part in a healthy pastime that they enjoy. If we banned everything because of a minority of idiot’s, motorists and just about everything would have been banned by now, the wiggle event organisers have done everything asked of them but it’ll never be good enough for those few!

Rant over, now Echo can you report on some actual news instead of made up nonsense.
housewife It is NOT! a time trial or a race, if you had ever seen either you would clearly see they are nothing alike, average speed on the wiggle events is roughly half what it is on your average time trial. I suspect your faux outrage is just that, have you even been in the Forest when one of the events is on? I doubt it! You don't even live here yet are expressing your outrage on behalf of the residents. Well I am a resident, the wiggle event has passed my house some years and I've been out in my car in the forest and on my bike when the events have been on, but haven’t ever taken part myself. Half a dozen friends have though from parts of the country (who’ve stayed in B&B’s and hotels eaten and drunk in local pubs/restaurants) . They, I and my neighbours have had no bother at all in getting about our daily business on those weekends. You say the cyclist are hurtling towards pedestrians and animals, yet there has not been a single animal killed or injured due to a cyclist since records began (the one incident with a horse and cyclist that I’m aware of was caused by a little girl throwing an apple at a pony, spooking it into the path of a cyclist and it was not seriously injured if at all, lucky it wasn’t a car! Shall we ban little girls and apples from they forest as they statistically pose a greater proven risk to wildlife?) Yet motorists kill 60-70 ponies a year and there have been a number of pedestrian and cyclists deaths (no related to any events) and injury's again caused by motorists. They delays in safely passing the cyclists when an event is on is absolutely nothing in comparison to the daily car park that is Lyndhurst every single day in the summer months (lets not mention the miles of queues of traffic for the new forest show and/or every other weekend when a show is on a Beaulieu), I thankfully manage to avoid Lyndhurst most of the time but my wife has it almost everyday because she work in the village (no tourism related, but she accepts it as part of living and working where she does in a NATIONAL PARK!). I did get stuck for quite a while try to get to a fathers day lunch near Beaulieu last weekend as it happens because of a car show, but all was ok we made it in time no harm done, and I hope the car fans had a nice day too. The base for the event has not been banned from the forest as you say, it's just the few influential nimby’s have pressured the venues\council into making it as difficult as possible for them. And in doing so have pushed much of the economic good that an event like this bring to areas outside of the forest, no doubt costing local small businesses money in the process. But hey the Verderers and commoners don't rely on tourist do they, so screw everybody in the forest that does right!? Shame on them! But hey don't let the facts get in the way of your rant and faux outrage at something which has in no way affected you whatsoever! And most of that goes for most of the other cycle haters on here too! You know who you are. Oh and yes I can and will admit there will be a few idiots who do the events but lets not let a few ruin the enjoyment of the many from visiting the national park and taking part in a healthy pastime that they enjoy. If we banned everything because of a minority of idiot’s, motorists and just about everything would have been banned by now, the wiggle event organisers have done everything asked of them but it’ll never be good enough for those few! Rant over, now Echo can you report on some actual news instead of made up nonsense. AFrustratedCyclist
  • Score: 3

12:11pm Fri 20 Jun 14

RomseyKeith says...

AFrustratedCyclist wrote:
housewife It is NOT! a time trial or a race, if you had ever seen either you would clearly see they are nothing alike, average speed on the wiggle events is roughly half what it is on your average time trial. I suspect your faux outrage is just that, have you even been in the Forest when one of the events is on? I doubt it! You don't even live here yet are expressing your outrage on behalf of the residents. Well I am a resident, the wiggle event has passed my house some years and I've been out in my car in the forest and on my bike when the events have been on, but haven’t ever taken part myself. Half a dozen friends have though from parts of the country (who’ve stayed in B&B’s and hotels eaten and drunk in local pubs/restaurants) . They, I and my neighbours have had no bother at all in getting about our daily business on those weekends. You say the cyclist are hurtling towards pedestrians and animals, yet there has not been a single animal killed or injured due to a cyclist since records began (the one incident with a horse and cyclist that I’m aware of was caused by a little girl throwing an apple at a pony, spooking it into the path of a cyclist and it was not seriously injured if at all, lucky it wasn’t a car! Shall we ban little girls and apples from they forest as they statistically pose a greater proven risk to wildlife?) Yet motorists kill 60-70 ponies a year and there have been a number of pedestrian and cyclists deaths (no related to any events) and injury's again caused by motorists. They delays in safely passing the cyclists when an event is on is absolutely nothing in comparison to the daily car park that is Lyndhurst every single day in the summer months (lets not mention the miles of queues of traffic for the new forest show and/or every other weekend when a show is on a Beaulieu), I thankfully manage to avoid Lyndhurst most of the time but my wife has it almost everyday because she work in the village (no tourism related, but she accepts it as part of living and working where she does in a NATIONAL PARK!). I did get stuck for quite a while try to get to a fathers day lunch near Beaulieu last weekend as it happens because of a car show, but all was ok we made it in time no harm done, and I hope the car fans had a nice day too. The base for the event has not been banned from the forest as you say, it's just the few influential nimby’s have pressured the venues\council into making it as difficult as possible for them. And in doing so have pushed much of the economic good that an event like this bring to areas outside of the forest, no doubt costing local small businesses money in the process. But hey the Verderers and commoners don't rely on tourist do they, so screw everybody in the forest that does right!? Shame on them! But hey don't let the facts get in the way of your rant and faux outrage at something which has in no way affected you whatsoever! And most of that goes for most of the other cycle haters on here too! You know who you are. Oh and yes I can and will admit there will be a few idiots who do the events but lets not let a few ruin the enjoyment of the many from visiting the national park and taking part in a healthy pastime that they enjoy. If we banned everything because of a minority of idiot’s, motorists and just about everything would have been banned by now, the wiggle event organisers have done everything asked of them but it’ll never be good enough for those few! Rant over, now Echo can you report on some actual news instead of made up nonsense.
Awesome comment, agreed whole-heartedly.
[quote][p][bold]AFrustratedCyclist[/bold] wrote: housewife It is NOT! a time trial or a race, if you had ever seen either you would clearly see they are nothing alike, average speed on the wiggle events is roughly half what it is on your average time trial. I suspect your faux outrage is just that, have you even been in the Forest when one of the events is on? I doubt it! You don't even live here yet are expressing your outrage on behalf of the residents. Well I am a resident, the wiggle event has passed my house some years and I've been out in my car in the forest and on my bike when the events have been on, but haven’t ever taken part myself. Half a dozen friends have though from parts of the country (who’ve stayed in B&B’s and hotels eaten and drunk in local pubs/restaurants) . They, I and my neighbours have had no bother at all in getting about our daily business on those weekends. You say the cyclist are hurtling towards pedestrians and animals, yet there has not been a single animal killed or injured due to a cyclist since records began (the one incident with a horse and cyclist that I’m aware of was caused by a little girl throwing an apple at a pony, spooking it into the path of a cyclist and it was not seriously injured if at all, lucky it wasn’t a car! Shall we ban little girls and apples from they forest as they statistically pose a greater proven risk to wildlife?) Yet motorists kill 60-70 ponies a year and there have been a number of pedestrian and cyclists deaths (no related to any events) and injury's again caused by motorists. They delays in safely passing the cyclists when an event is on is absolutely nothing in comparison to the daily car park that is Lyndhurst every single day in the summer months (lets not mention the miles of queues of traffic for the new forest show and/or every other weekend when a show is on a Beaulieu), I thankfully manage to avoid Lyndhurst most of the time but my wife has it almost everyday because she work in the village (no tourism related, but she accepts it as part of living and working where she does in a NATIONAL PARK!). I did get stuck for quite a while try to get to a fathers day lunch near Beaulieu last weekend as it happens because of a car show, but all was ok we made it in time no harm done, and I hope the car fans had a nice day too. The base for the event has not been banned from the forest as you say, it's just the few influential nimby’s have pressured the venues\council into making it as difficult as possible for them. And in doing so have pushed much of the economic good that an event like this bring to areas outside of the forest, no doubt costing local small businesses money in the process. But hey the Verderers and commoners don't rely on tourist do they, so screw everybody in the forest that does right!? Shame on them! But hey don't let the facts get in the way of your rant and faux outrage at something which has in no way affected you whatsoever! And most of that goes for most of the other cycle haters on here too! You know who you are. Oh and yes I can and will admit there will be a few idiots who do the events but lets not let a few ruin the enjoyment of the many from visiting the national park and taking part in a healthy pastime that they enjoy. If we banned everything because of a minority of idiot’s, motorists and just about everything would have been banned by now, the wiggle event organisers have done everything asked of them but it’ll never be good enough for those few! Rant over, now Echo can you report on some actual news instead of made up nonsense.[/p][/quote]Awesome comment, agreed whole-heartedly. RomseyKeith
  • Score: -4

12:41am Tue 1 Jul 14

Solent Soul says...

housewife wrote:
It IS a race, but pretends it isn't so it does not have to comply with the safety rules around races.
If the organisers were more honest, the people in the Forest would be less **** off.
Have you actually taken part in one of these so called sportive races? Believe me, I have competed in road races & time trials & the wiggle events are nothing like them; It's good to see people actively taking part in healthy events (who families attend), they contribute to the local economy & maybe will be less of a burden on the nhs in future years! Why don't you do everyone a favour & either have a go (you never know you might enjoy it) or busy urself catching up on the eastenders daily drivel whilst we enjoy the splendours of the New Forest National Park!
[quote][p][bold]housewife[/bold] wrote: It IS a race, but pretends it isn't so it does not have to comply with the safety rules around races. If the organisers were more honest, the people in the Forest would be less **** off.[/p][/quote]Have you actually taken part in one of these so called sportive races? Believe me, I have competed in road races & time trials & the wiggle events are nothing like them; It's good to see people actively taking part in healthy events (who families attend), they contribute to the local economy & maybe will be less of a burden on the nhs in future years! Why don't you do everyone a favour & either have a go (you never know you might enjoy it) or busy urself catching up on the eastenders daily drivel whilst we enjoy the splendours of the New Forest National Park! Solent Soul
  • Score: -1

12:48am Tue 1 Jul 14

Solent Soul says...

Torchie1 wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
camerajuan wrote:
"It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no?

They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic?
The worst case scenario for the world of lycra is that you'll have to pedal down a different road. Why all the dramatics?
Again with the lycra, obsessed are you?

There are no dramatics involved apart from the Verderers insistence that a ride's route be changed because they refuse to change their route despite arranging their event last.

First come first served. The cycle event was scheduled first. The Verderers should reschedule theirs. That's how bookings work in all walks of life. "Oh you can't do table for four at 8? Can you do 9?"
I don't think you have even the loosest grasp on the hierarchy of the New Forest but you ought to just accept that bicycles will always be a poor second to horses, and getting tearful about 'we booked first' isn't going to change anything. One bit of tarmac is the same as another to a lycra lover but the Drift has to be carried out in a very specific area because that's where the ponies traditionally are to be found and rounded up. Learn to be flexible or learn to live with disappointment.
The Verderers maybe the guardians of the New Forest but the tarmac that runs through it is a public right of way so it's irrelevant what the yocals want. Anyone up for a flash mob event if the wiggle ride is cancelled, we could start at Balmer Lawn ;-)
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]camerajuan[/bold] wrote: "It's my ball, and if we don't play my rules then we're going home". Childish Verderer behaviour no? They've issued their round-up list AFTER the ride was announced, and they're not willing to budge their route, while UK Cycling are willing to work together to find the best possible solution for both parties. Who's being pathetic?[/p][/quote]The worst case scenario for the world of lycra is that you'll have to pedal down a different road. Why all the dramatics?[/p][/quote]Again with the lycra, obsessed are you? There are no dramatics involved apart from the Verderers insistence that a ride's route be changed because they refuse to change their route despite arranging their event last. First come first served. The cycle event was scheduled first. The Verderers should reschedule theirs. That's how bookings work in all walks of life. "Oh you can't do table for four at 8? Can you do 9?"[/p][/quote]I don't think you have even the loosest grasp on the hierarchy of the New Forest but you ought to just accept that bicycles will always be a poor second to horses, and getting tearful about 'we booked first' isn't going to change anything. One bit of tarmac is the same as another to a lycra lover but the Drift has to be carried out in a very specific area because that's where the ponies traditionally are to be found and rounded up. Learn to be flexible or learn to live with disappointment.[/p][/quote]The Verderers maybe the guardians of the New Forest but the tarmac that runs through it is a public right of way so it's irrelevant what the yocals want. Anyone up for a flash mob event if the wiggle ride is cancelled, we could start at Balmer Lawn ;-) Solent Soul
  • Score: 0

1:00am Tue 1 Jul 14

Solent Soul says...

AFrustratedCyclist wrote:
housewife

It is NOT! a time trial or a race, if you had ever seen either you would clearly see they are nothing alike, average speed on the wiggle events is roughly half what it is on your average time trial.

I suspect your faux outrage is just that, have you even been in the Forest when one of the events is on? I doubt it! You don't even live here yet are expressing your outrage on behalf of the residents.

Well I am a resident, the wiggle event has passed my house some years and I've been out in my car in the forest and on my bike when the events have been on, but haven’t ever taken part myself. Half a dozen friends have though from parts of the country (who’ve stayed in B&B’s and hotels eaten and drunk in local pubs/restaurants) . They, I and my neighbours have had no bother at all in getting about our daily business on those weekends.

You say the cyclist are hurtling towards pedestrians and animals, yet there has not been a single animal killed or injured due to a cyclist since records began (the one incident with a horse and cyclist that I’m aware of was caused by a little girl throwing an apple at a pony, spooking it into the path of a cyclist and it was not seriously injured if at all, lucky it wasn’t a car! Shall we ban little girls and apples from they forest as they statistically pose a greater proven risk to wildlife?) Yet motorists kill 60-70 ponies a year and there have been a number of pedestrian and cyclists deaths (no related to any events) and injury's again caused by motorists. They delays in safely passing the cyclists when an event is on is absolutely nothing in comparison to the daily car park that is Lyndhurst every single day in the summer months (lets not mention the miles of queues of traffic for the new forest show and/or every other weekend when a show is on a Beaulieu), I thankfully manage to avoid Lyndhurst most of the time but my wife has it almost everyday because she work in the village (no tourism related, but she accepts it as part of living and working where she does in a NATIONAL PARK!). I did get stuck for quite a while try to get to a fathers day lunch near Beaulieu last weekend as it happens because of a car show, but all was ok we made it in time no harm done, and I hope the car fans had a nice day too.

The base for the event has not been banned from the forest as you say, it's just the few influential nimby’s have pressured the venues\council into making it as difficult as possible for them. And in doing so have pushed much of the economic good that an event like this bring to areas outside of the forest, no doubt costing local small businesses money in the process. But hey the Verderers and commoners don't rely on tourist do they, so screw everybody in the forest that does right!? Shame on them!

But hey don't let the facts get in the way of your rant and faux outrage at something which has in no way affected you whatsoever! And most of that goes for most of the other cycle haters on here too! You know who you are.

Oh and yes I can and will admit there will be a few idiots who do the events but lets not let a few ruin the enjoyment of the many from visiting the national park and taking part in a healthy pastime that they enjoy. If we banned everything because of a minority of idiot’s, motorists and just about everything would have been banned by now, the wiggle event organisers have done everything asked of them but it’ll never be good enough for those few!

Rant over, now Echo can you report on some actual news instead of made up nonsense.
Well said!
[quote][p][bold]AFrustratedCyclist[/bold] wrote: housewife It is NOT! a time trial or a race, if you had ever seen either you would clearly see they are nothing alike, average speed on the wiggle events is roughly half what it is on your average time trial. I suspect your faux outrage is just that, have you even been in the Forest when one of the events is on? I doubt it! You don't even live here yet are expressing your outrage on behalf of the residents. Well I am a resident, the wiggle event has passed my house some years and I've been out in my car in the forest and on my bike when the events have been on, but haven’t ever taken part myself. Half a dozen friends have though from parts of the country (who’ve stayed in B&B’s and hotels eaten and drunk in local pubs/restaurants) . They, I and my neighbours have had no bother at all in getting about our daily business on those weekends. You say the cyclist are hurtling towards pedestrians and animals, yet there has not been a single animal killed or injured due to a cyclist since records began (the one incident with a horse and cyclist that I’m aware of was caused by a little girl throwing an apple at a pony, spooking it into the path of a cyclist and it was not seriously injured if at all, lucky it wasn’t a car! Shall we ban little girls and apples from they forest as they statistically pose a greater proven risk to wildlife?) Yet motorists kill 60-70 ponies a year and there have been a number of pedestrian and cyclists deaths (no related to any events) and injury's again caused by motorists. They delays in safely passing the cyclists when an event is on is absolutely nothing in comparison to the daily car park that is Lyndhurst every single day in the summer months (lets not mention the miles of queues of traffic for the new forest show and/or every other weekend when a show is on a Beaulieu), I thankfully manage to avoid Lyndhurst most of the time but my wife has it almost everyday because she work in the village (no tourism related, but she accepts it as part of living and working where she does in a NATIONAL PARK!). I did get stuck for quite a while try to get to a fathers day lunch near Beaulieu last weekend as it happens because of a car show, but all was ok we made it in time no harm done, and I hope the car fans had a nice day too. The base for the event has not been banned from the forest as you say, it's just the few influential nimby’s have pressured the venues\council into making it as difficult as possible for them. And in doing so have pushed much of the economic good that an event like this bring to areas outside of the forest, no doubt costing local small businesses money in the process. But hey the Verderers and commoners don't rely on tourist do they, so screw everybody in the forest that does right!? Shame on them! But hey don't let the facts get in the way of your rant and faux outrage at something which has in no way affected you whatsoever! And most of that goes for most of the other cycle haters on here too! You know who you are. Oh and yes I can and will admit there will be a few idiots who do the events but lets not let a few ruin the enjoyment of the many from visiting the national park and taking part in a healthy pastime that they enjoy. If we banned everything because of a minority of idiot’s, motorists and just about everything would have been banned by now, the wiggle event organisers have done everything asked of them but it’ll never be good enough for those few! Rant over, now Echo can you report on some actual news instead of made up nonsense.[/p][/quote]Well said! Solent Soul
  • Score: -1

11:30am Thu 17 Jul 14

Reconciler says...

Point 11 of the Wiggle events' 'terms and conditions' states:

All cyclists must adhere to and obey the Highway Code, LOCAL BY LAWS and laws of England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland where applicable and extend all reasonable courtesy to other road and off road users (my capitals)'

Every rider has to sign up to this condition.

Solent Soul claims that the New Forest tarmac is public highway - and he is right. However, the New Forest National Park has an additional special essential rule, which is that the ANIMALS HAVE PRIORITY. This is because the animals created and have maintained the landscape over many centuries. Without them and the self-sacrificial way of life of the commoners the landscape would not exist and there would be no National Park for us all to respect and enjoy. 'Enjoy' does not mean 'do whatever you like regardless of how it affects these workers and other residents. The nation's Purposes for National Parks express it better:

'UNDERSTANDING and enjoyment' (my capitals).

Unfortunately the behaviour of many (not all) of the riders, and most of the foregoing comments, demonstrate serious lack of understanding of the Park's special qualities, and very little desire to learn.
Point 11 of the Wiggle events' 'terms and conditions' states: All cyclists must adhere to and obey the Highway Code, LOCAL BY LAWS and laws of England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland where applicable and extend all reasonable courtesy to other road and off road users (my capitals)' Every rider has to sign up to this condition. Solent Soul claims that the New Forest tarmac is public highway - and he is right. However, the New Forest National Park has an additional special essential rule, which is that the ANIMALS HAVE PRIORITY. This is because the animals created and have maintained the landscape over many centuries. Without them and the self-sacrificial way of life of the commoners the landscape would not exist and there would be no National Park for us all to respect and enjoy. 'Enjoy' does not mean 'do whatever you like regardless of how it affects these workers and other residents. The nation's Purposes for National Parks express it better: 'UNDERSTANDING and enjoyment' (my capitals). Unfortunately the behaviour of many (not all) of the riders, and most of the foregoing comments, demonstrate serious lack of understanding of the Park's special qualities, and very little desire to learn. Reconciler
  • Score: 0

5:20pm Thu 17 Jul 14

loosehead says...

Reconciler wrote:
Point 11 of the Wiggle events' 'terms and conditions' states:

All cyclists must adhere to and obey the Highway Code, LOCAL BY LAWS and laws of England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland where applicable and extend all reasonable courtesy to other road and off road users (my capitals)'

Every rider has to sign up to this condition.

Solent Soul claims that the New Forest tarmac is public highway - and he is right. However, the New Forest National Park has an additional special essential rule, which is that the ANIMALS HAVE PRIORITY. This is because the animals created and have maintained the landscape over many centuries. Without them and the self-sacrificial way of life of the commoners the landscape would not exist and there would be no National Park for us all to respect and enjoy. 'Enjoy' does not mean 'do whatever you like regardless of how it affects these workers and other residents. The nation's Purposes for National Parks express it better:

'UNDERSTANDING and enjoyment' (my capitals).

Unfortunately the behaviour of many (not all) of the riders, and most of the foregoing comments, demonstrate serious lack of understanding of the Park's special qualities, and very little desire to learn.
Wiggle has changed the route because of a Pony drift/round up so are you still against it?
[quote][p][bold]Reconciler[/bold] wrote: Point 11 of the Wiggle events' 'terms and conditions' states: All cyclists must adhere to and obey the Highway Code, LOCAL BY LAWS and laws of England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland where applicable and extend all reasonable courtesy to other road and off road users (my capitals)' Every rider has to sign up to this condition. Solent Soul claims that the New Forest tarmac is public highway - and he is right. However, the New Forest National Park has an additional special essential rule, which is that the ANIMALS HAVE PRIORITY. This is because the animals created and have maintained the landscape over many centuries. Without them and the self-sacrificial way of life of the commoners the landscape would not exist and there would be no National Park for us all to respect and enjoy. 'Enjoy' does not mean 'do whatever you like regardless of how it affects these workers and other residents. The nation's Purposes for National Parks express it better: 'UNDERSTANDING and enjoyment' (my capitals). Unfortunately the behaviour of many (not all) of the riders, and most of the foregoing comments, demonstrate serious lack of understanding of the Park's special qualities, and very little desire to learn.[/p][/quote]Wiggle has changed the route because of a Pony drift/round up so are you still against it? loosehead
  • Score: 0

6:17pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Reconciler says...

I've never been against it - only against lack of consideration and understanding. I just want to see the Forest and its workers and animals enjoyed for its special qualities, and I try to encourage mutual respect. So, Wiggle have changed the route; they refused to do so last year and the important drift had to be cancelled. Do you agree that they should have learnt from experience and consulted the Verderers when drawing up the event route? (The route of the drift was published well before the Wiggle route came out.) If they had done this they would not have had to make the change, so they have only themselves to blame for the extra trouble.
Mr Barden claims to obey the charter as drawn up. This promises no publication of the list of results - yet this is available for all events and is easily transformed into winning order, so the aggressive competitive riders still have their incentive to speed.
I've never been against it - only against lack of consideration and understanding. I just want to see the Forest and its workers and animals enjoyed for its special qualities, and I try to encourage mutual respect. So, Wiggle have changed the route; they refused to do so last year and the important drift had to be cancelled. Do you agree that they should have learnt from experience and consulted the Verderers when drawing up the event route? (The route of the drift was published well before the Wiggle route came out.) If they had done this they would not have had to make the change, so they have only themselves to blame for the extra trouble. Mr Barden claims to obey the charter as drawn up. This promises no publication of the list of results - yet this is available for all events and is easily transformed into winning order, so the aggressive competitive riders still have their incentive to speed. Reconciler
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree