A HAMPSHIRE school was closed and hundreds of residents left without water on the hottest day of the year after a pipe burst.

Hounsdown School in Totton was closed for the day after the water main burst in Jacobs Gutter Lane shortly after 6am on Wednesday.

Residents were left without water until around 10.30pm. Jacobs Gutter Lane is still closed, with repairs expected to be completed by Monday.

Southern Water was called to the scene at around 6.45am to repair the pipe, which has not yet been fixed, leaving around 140 homes without water. Staff are delivering bottled water to those affected.

Khalid Rahman made the video below of the burst main at about 7am this morning.

A spokesman for Southern Water said: "As a result of the burst, the current highway is closed across Jacobs Gutter Lane, and diversions are in place.

"Our crew have started the repair, however due to the location of nearby gas and power cables we are working closely with our colleagues at SSE/ SGN to ensure the immediate area is safe before we can continue. For this reason we cannot give an exact timeframe for when this work will be completed but we'd like to assure people we are doing everything we can to fix this issue as quickly and safely as possible.

"We understand how important it is for our customers to have access to water during very hot weather and we have put in place our emergency plans to ensure all customers in need will receive alternative supplies."

The spokesman added a dedicated pick-up point for water has been set up at Houndsdown School.

After being forced to rely on bottled water, Houndsdown School made the decision to shut earlier today.

A statement on the school's website says: "Southern Water have not been able to connect our site to a supply and therefore, on health and welfare grounds, on what is likely to be the hottest day of the year, we are unable to operate the school site safely or hygienically, due to having no flushing toilets, no facilities to wash hands or provide drinking water."

Speaking to the Daily Echo this afternoon, executive headteacher Julie Turvey said: "Having spoken to the Southern Water, my understanding is that we will have main water [on Thursday] morning and the school will be open as normal.

"Students are expecting to be in [on Thursday]."

Firefighters also attended the scene to stop the water from spreading.