Disabled drivers to be forced to pay to park

Daily Echo: Disabled drivers to be forced to pay to park Disabled drivers to be forced to pay to park

MORE than 10,000 disabled drivers could be forced to pay to park at beauty spots in the New Forest for the first time.

Blue Badge holders who live in the Forest and visitors will have to buy a ticket to use council-owned car parks under plans being drawn up by town hall bosses.

Alternatively they could purchase an annual parking clock, which could net the district council more than £1m.

Groups representing disabled drivers have hit out at the proposals, saying they amount to discrimination.

Helen Dolphin, of Disabled Motoring UK, said: “It takes the majority of disabled motorists longer to do their shopping than able-bodied drivers, which means they’ll end up paying more than other people.

“Some disabled motorists find it difficult to use payment machines.

“There’s also the possibility they will park in the street instead, which is far more dangerous for the disabled.”

The New Forest East branch of Age Concern also criticised the scheme.

Chief executive Jean Adams said: “A lot of older people are on very tight budgets and really rely on free parking to maintain their independence. If they have to pay to park it could impact on their quality of life.”

The council says the free parking concession is costing it tens of thousands of pounds a year in lost income.

There are about 10,200 disabled drivers in the district.

In Lymington it costs between 80p and £4 to park. Alternatively residents can buy an annual parking clock for £100 or £20, depending on whether they want to use long or short-stay spaces.

The council will net more than £1m if all 10,200 blue badge holders decide to buy one of the £100 clocks.

A council spokesman said: “The authority believes that, where reasonable, all motorists should pay to park as the income helps maintain the car parks and provides other services.

“It also feels that charging Blue Badge holders to park may reduce the incentive for badges to be used fraudulently.”

A report to the environment overview and scrutiny panel said the permits aim to help disabled people park near the places they wanted to visit and were not intended to benefit them financially.

But Councillor David Harrison, a former leader of the Liberal Democrat opposition group, described the proposals as a tax on the disabled. He vowed that the Lib Dems would re-introduce free parking for all Forest residents if they gained control of the council at the next local elections in 2015.

The authority has launched a public consultation exercise that runs until September 14.

The council’s proposals do not affect woodland car parks owned by the Forestry Commission, all of which are free.

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:05am Fri 24 Aug 12

Totton Ric says...

Agree in a way & is not discrimination as a lot of disable drivers who are able to work & earn money then they should pay, it may seem to be discriminating non disable drivers from free car parking & in today’s world it’s about Equal Opportunities !, It should be free to Disable Drivers who are unable to work.
Agree in a way & is not discrimination as a lot of disable drivers who are able to work & earn money then they should pay, it may seem to be discriminating non disable drivers from free car parking & in today’s world it’s about Equal Opportunities !, It should be free to Disable Drivers who are unable to work. Totton Ric

6:38am Fri 24 Aug 12

solents says...

Totton Ric wrote:
Agree in a way & is not discrimination as a lot of disable drivers who are able to work & earn money then they should pay, it may seem to be discriminating non disable drivers from free car parking & in today’s world it’s about Equal Opportunities !, It should be free to Disable Drivers who are unable to work.
I have to admit that I agree with you there bearing in mind also that there are a lot of disabled badge holders who are driven to places by friends or family and are aided by them to get around. The badge can be displayed in any car as long as one of the passengers is the holder.
Everyone should pay their way. Like you say, it could appear discriminatory towards able bodied drivers otherwise.
[quote][p][bold]Totton Ric[/bold] wrote: Agree in a way & is not discrimination as a lot of disable drivers who are able to work & earn money then they should pay, it may seem to be discriminating non disable drivers from free car parking & in today’s world it’s about Equal Opportunities !, It should be free to Disable Drivers who are unable to work.[/p][/quote]I have to admit that I agree with you there bearing in mind also that there are a lot of disabled badge holders who are driven to places by friends or family and are aided by them to get around. The badge can be displayed in any car as long as one of the passengers is the holder. Everyone should pay their way. Like you say, it could appear discriminatory towards able bodied drivers otherwise. solents

7:02am Fri 24 Aug 12

FreeNelsonMantle says...

It cannot see how this will discriminate against disabled drivers. I understand the point about taking longer to do shopping, and in that instance maybe there should be a flat rate for disabled drivers IE pay for 2 hours maximum.

Although, £100 for a years long stay parking is fantastic. Central Southampton your looking at £100 for a month!
It cannot see how this will discriminate against disabled drivers. I understand the point about taking longer to do shopping, and in that instance maybe there should be a flat rate for disabled drivers IE pay for 2 hours maximum. Although, £100 for a years long stay parking is fantastic. Central Southampton your looking at £100 for a month! FreeNelsonMantle

7:18am Fri 24 Aug 12

dogbruce says...

Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ??
Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ?? dogbruce

7:25am Fri 24 Aug 12

Juliek1958 says...

I am classified as disabled but do not avail to using a blue badge for my parking requirements, however if I did I would be happy to continue to pay. If my memory serves me right the Disabled Discrimination Act was initially introduced because disabled persons wanted to be treated as equals to able bodied persons wherever possible, surely getting free parking is discriminating against able bodied people and I agree that perhaps a capped 2 hour fee could be levied for disabled car park users.
I am classified as disabled but do not avail to using a blue badge for my parking requirements, however if I did I would be happy to continue to pay. If my memory serves me right the Disabled Discrimination Act was initially introduced because disabled persons wanted to be treated as equals to able bodied persons wherever possible, surely getting free parking is discriminating against able bodied people and I agree that perhaps a capped 2 hour fee could be levied for disabled car park users. Juliek1958

7:44am Fri 24 Aug 12

hulla baloo says...

About time to.
About time to. hulla baloo

7:51am Fri 24 Aug 12

tootle says...

In many places the disabled do pay. However they still get the privilege of parking closer to the shops and often in wider bays. What would be nice is if the money went into reducing parking for everybody rather than just the council coffers - it might only be pence off an hours parking but anything is beter than nothing..
In many places the disabled do pay. However they still get the privilege of parking closer to the shops and often in wider bays. What would be nice is if the money went into reducing parking for everybody rather than just the council coffers - it might only be pence off an hours parking but anything is beter than nothing.. tootle

7:59am Fri 24 Aug 12

meanmoodymidget says...

disable drivers just will park on the double yellow lines and there's nothing the money grabbing council can do about that !
disable drivers just will park on the double yellow lines and there's nothing the money grabbing council can do about that ! meanmoodymidget

8:26am Fri 24 Aug 12

Forest Resident says...

meanmoodymidget wrote:
disable drivers just will park on the double yellow lines and there's nothing the money grabbing council can do about that !
The council may not be able to, but if the vehicle is left in a dangerous position causing an obstruction to the highway then the Police can always have it towed away instead. Blue badges are not a license to park wherever and however you please.
[quote][p][bold]meanmoodymidget[/bold] wrote: disable drivers just will park on the double yellow lines and there's nothing the money grabbing council can do about that ![/p][/quote]The council may not be able to, but if the vehicle is left in a dangerous position causing an obstruction to the highway then the Police can always have it towed away instead. Blue badges are not a license to park wherever and however you please. Forest Resident

8:37am Fri 24 Aug 12

Ellwood says...

Juliek1958 says...
7:25am Fri 24 Aug 12
I am classified as disabled but do not avail to using a blue badge for my parking requirements, however if I did I would be happy to continue to pay. If my memory serves me right the Disabled Discrimination Act was initially introduced because disabled persons wanted to be treated as equals to able bodied persons wherever possible, surely getting free parking is discriminating against able bodied people and I agree that perhaps a capped 2 hour fee could be levied for disabled car park users.


................... I might just print this off and frame it!
Juliek1958 says... 7:25am Fri 24 Aug 12 I am classified as disabled but do not avail to using a blue badge for my parking requirements, however if I did I would be happy to continue to pay. If my memory serves me right the Disabled Discrimination Act was initially introduced because disabled persons wanted to be treated as equals to able bodied persons wherever possible, surely getting free parking is discriminating against able bodied people and I agree that perhaps a capped 2 hour fee could be levied for disabled car park users. ................... I might just print this off and frame it! Ellwood

10:09am Fri 24 Aug 12

Frank28 says...

Disabled or not - the NFDC view all motorists as a source of revenue.
Disabled or not - the NFDC view all motorists as a source of revenue. Frank28

10:15am Fri 24 Aug 12

SemajP says...

I think this is really good news. I appreciate the disabled people's point of view, but Helen Dolphin is out of touch. I have two young children and also like to use the new forest and also need to do the shopping - it takes just as long to get the children out of the car, put them in the pram/trolley etc as it does for a disabled person to prepare themselves when leaving the car.. Plus I rearely succeed in finding a child & parent space and have to park in a regular space further up the car park with less room. For a fact I know of someone who is abusing the blue badge she has and she has been reported but cotinually plays the system, which is unfortunate for genuine blue badge holders. We all have to strive to make ends meet and get by - disabled people want equality, this is it!
I think this is really good news. I appreciate the disabled people's point of view, but Helen Dolphin is out of touch. I have two young children and also like to use the new forest and also need to do the shopping - it takes just as long to get the children out of the car, put them in the pram/trolley etc as it does for a disabled person to prepare themselves when leaving the car.. Plus I rearely succeed in finding a child & parent space and have to park in a regular space further up the car park with less room. For a fact I know of someone who is abusing the blue badge she has and she has been reported but cotinually plays the system, which is unfortunate for genuine blue badge holders. We all have to strive to make ends meet and get by - disabled people want equality, this is it! SemajP

10:25am Fri 24 Aug 12

johnm says...

W|hy don't they do what some neighbouring councils do. Free parking for tax exempt vehicles, which you can get if you are on the higher disability allowance and need a car.
W|hy don't they do what some neighbouring councils do. Free parking for tax exempt vehicles, which you can get if you are on the higher disability allowance and need a car. johnm

10:28am Fri 24 Aug 12

ohec says...

Disabled does not necessarily mean poor in fact more often than not the disabled are the more affluent.
Disabled does not necessarily mean poor in fact more often than not the disabled are the more affluent. ohec

10:33am Fri 24 Aug 12

sarfhamton says...

ohec wrote:
Disabled does not necessarily mean poor in fact more often than not the disabled are the more affluent.
I doubt this to be true but i agree that everyone should pay.

However, Disabled people need wide bays, with good access and as near to the facility, shop etc as possible and i hope this extra revenue is used to improve these things.
[quote][p][bold]ohec[/bold] wrote: Disabled does not necessarily mean poor in fact more often than not the disabled are the more affluent.[/p][/quote]I doubt this to be true but i agree that everyone should pay. However, Disabled people need wide bays, with good access and as near to the facility, shop etc as possible and i hope this extra revenue is used to improve these things. sarfhamton

10:39am Fri 24 Aug 12

Georgem says...

ohec wrote:
Disabled does not necessarily mean poor in fact more often than not the disabled are the more affluent.
I doubt there's much correlation at all between able-bodiedness and affluence.
[quote][p][bold]ohec[/bold] wrote: Disabled does not necessarily mean poor in fact more often than not the disabled are the more affluent.[/p][/quote]I doubt there's much correlation at all between able-bodiedness and affluence. Georgem

10:57am Fri 24 Aug 12

northam monkey says...

Hope most of the idiot's who have commented above give some proper thought about the day-to-day reality of being disabled, may also want to check the FACTS on blue badges and where most of the abuse of this scheme comes from able bodied people! the vast majority of disabled are far from affluent and as for the "privilage" of parking closer, I'm sure most would swap this for being able bodied
Hope most of the idiot's who have commented above give some proper thought about the day-to-day reality of being disabled, may also want to check the FACTS on blue badges and where most of the abuse of this scheme comes from able bodied people! the vast majority of disabled are far from affluent and as for the "privilage" of parking closer, I'm sure most would swap this for being able bodied northam monkey

11:00am Fri 24 Aug 12

dango says...

dogbruce wrote:
Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ??
for example, the guy I saw yesterday sat in his Mercedes, eating a bag of chips parked on double yellow lines on Back of The Walls. There's a council car park right there, and an NCP car park but no, he had a blue badge so can half block the road sitting on double yellow lines and eat his chips free from getting a ticket. That is just plain wrong IMO.
[quote][p][bold]dogbruce[/bold] wrote: Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ??[/p][/quote]for example, the guy I saw yesterday sat in his Mercedes, eating a bag of chips parked on double yellow lines on Back of The Walls. There's a council car park right there, and an NCP car park but no, he had a blue badge so can half block the road sitting on double yellow lines and eat his chips free from getting a ticket. That is just plain wrong IMO. dango

11:24am Fri 24 Aug 12

ohec says...

What is needed is different levels of Blue Badge with different entitlement according to the level of disability, so that only the highest level can park on yellow lines etc, i get really annoyed when i see people get out of their cars and run of down the road only to return carrying heavy bags, now i am not saying they haven't got any disabilities but if they can do that they can do it from the car park.
What is needed is different levels of Blue Badge with different entitlement according to the level of disability, so that only the highest level can park on yellow lines etc, i get really annoyed when i see people get out of their cars and run of down the road only to return carrying heavy bags, now i am not saying they haven't got any disabilities but if they can do that they can do it from the car park. ohec

11:28am Fri 24 Aug 12

bazzeroz says...

dango wrote:
dogbruce wrote:
Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ??
for example, the guy I saw yesterday sat in his Mercedes, eating a bag of chips parked on double yellow lines on Back of The Walls. There's a council car park right there, and an NCP car park but no, he had a blue badge so can half block the road sitting on double yellow lines and eat his chips free from getting a ticket. That is just plain wrong IMO.
I'm not sure if this now applies but the person for which the badge is supplied must be OUT of the car for the badge to be legally displayed. (Correct me if I'm wrong) So, the person eating the chips must be the non disabled person. Also I would like to point out that hospital parking is now, in many hospitals not free for disabled drivers. As most are run by private companies they know that if the disabled driver has to pay then they, the disabled driver can claim it back as traveling expenses. This means that the parking company never looses, just the taxpayer!
[quote][p][bold]dango[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dogbruce[/bold] wrote: Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ??[/p][/quote]for example, the guy I saw yesterday sat in his Mercedes, eating a bag of chips parked on double yellow lines on Back of The Walls. There's a council car park right there, and an NCP car park but no, he had a blue badge so can half block the road sitting on double yellow lines and eat his chips free from getting a ticket. That is just plain wrong IMO.[/p][/quote]I'm not sure if this now applies but the person for which the badge is supplied must be OUT of the car for the badge to be legally displayed. (Correct me if I'm wrong) So, the person eating the chips must be the non disabled person. Also I would like to point out that hospital parking is now, in many hospitals not free for disabled drivers. As most are run by private companies they know that if the disabled driver has to pay then they, the disabled driver can claim it back as traveling expenses. This means that the parking company never looses, just the taxpayer! bazzeroz

11:52am Fri 24 Aug 12

100%HANTSBOY says...

northam monkey wrote:
Hope most of the idiot's who have commented above give some proper thought about the day-to-day reality of being disabled, may also want to check the FACTS on blue badges and where most of the abuse of this scheme comes from able bodied people! the vast majority of disabled are far from affluent and as for the "privilage" of parking closer, I'm sure most would swap this for being able bodied
Of course most of the abuse of blue badges is done by the able-bodied,not much point in disabled people abusing it,is there?
[quote][p][bold]northam monkey[/bold] wrote: Hope most of the idiot's who have commented above give some proper thought about the day-to-day reality of being disabled, may also want to check the FACTS on blue badges and where most of the abuse of this scheme comes from able bodied people! the vast majority of disabled are far from affluent and as for the "privilage" of parking closer, I'm sure most would swap this for being able bodied[/p][/quote]Of course most of the abuse of blue badges is done by the able-bodied,not much point in disabled people abusing it,is there? 100%HANTSBOY

12:35pm Fri 24 Aug 12

Inform Al says...

I am fit and either walk to my local shops or use Tesco's because I willl not take my car anywhere I have to pay to park . It follows then that the intention to charge disabled drivers to park in the council's car parks may be a violation of the DDA act. I have no problem with others less fortunate than me being granted free parking for cars they are forced to use, I do however think the punishment for illegal use of mobility passes should be much harder, perhaps those miscreants should cover the costs needed by the council.
I am fit and either walk to my local shops or use Tesco's because I willl not take my car anywhere I have to pay to park . It follows then that the intention to charge disabled drivers to park in the council's car parks may be a violation of the DDA act. I have no problem with others less fortunate than me being granted free parking for cars they are forced to use, I do however think the punishment for illegal use of mobility passes should be much harder, perhaps those miscreants should cover the costs needed by the council. Inform Al

12:39pm Fri 24 Aug 12

eurogordi says...

For once I find myself in total agreement with this story. If you are using a parking place you should pay to use it. I am not disabled, although I do have a medical condition, and although I don't mind avoiding disabled parking spaces, I have never understood why disabled drivers can park free and I have to pay, pay and pay!
For once I find myself in total agreement with this story. If you are using a parking place you should pay to use it. I am not disabled, although I do have a medical condition, and although I don't mind avoiding disabled parking spaces, I have never understood why disabled drivers can park free and I have to pay, pay and pay! eurogordi

1:21pm Fri 24 Aug 12

Shoong says...

It's simple - got a car, disabled or not, if you want to park it, pay for it.
It's simple - got a car, disabled or not, if you want to park it, pay for it. Shoong

2:33pm Fri 24 Aug 12

Of the Ilk says...

My wife is disabled and so has a Blue Badge. I never use it if she is not with me. Even if she is with me, I will never park on yellow lines as they are there to stop parked cars from causing an obstruction. If a council offers free parking, then we will take up the offer, but are quite prepared to pay if required. It is the larger space that allows my wife to get in and out of the car that is important.
I agree that there should be harsher penalties for friends and family who use Blue Badges incorrectly.
My wife is disabled and so has a Blue Badge. I never use it if she is not with me. Even if she is with me, I will never park on yellow lines as they are there to stop parked cars from causing an obstruction. If a council offers free parking, then we will take up the offer, but are quite prepared to pay if required. It is the larger space that allows my wife to get in and out of the car that is important. I agree that there should be harsher penalties for friends and family who use Blue Badges incorrectly. Of the Ilk

3:44pm Fri 24 Aug 12

Georgem says...

dango wrote:
dogbruce wrote:
Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ??
for example, the guy I saw yesterday sat in his Mercedes, eating a bag of chips parked on double yellow lines on Back of The Walls. There's a council car park right there, and an NCP car park but no, he had a blue badge so can half block the road sitting on double yellow lines and eat his chips free from getting a ticket. That is just plain wrong IMO.
What's that got to do with his blue badge? We could all do that, if we wanted. Just park there, sit in your car and eat. If a warden comes along, just drive off before he gets to you.
[quote][p][bold]dango[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dogbruce[/bold] wrote: Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ??[/p][/quote]for example, the guy I saw yesterday sat in his Mercedes, eating a bag of chips parked on double yellow lines on Back of The Walls. There's a council car park right there, and an NCP car park but no, he had a blue badge so can half block the road sitting on double yellow lines and eat his chips free from getting a ticket. That is just plain wrong IMO.[/p][/quote]What's that got to do with his blue badge? We could all do that, if we wanted. Just park there, sit in your car and eat. If a warden comes along, just drive off before he gets to you. Georgem

4:58pm Fri 24 Aug 12

S!monOn says...

Georgem wrote:
dango wrote:
dogbruce wrote: Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ??
for example, the guy I saw yesterday sat in his Mercedes, eating a bag of chips parked on double yellow lines on Back of The Walls. There's a council car park right there, and an NCP car park but no, he had a blue badge so can half block the road sitting on double yellow lines and eat his chips free from getting a ticket. That is just plain wrong IMO.
What's that got to do with his blue badge? We could all do that, if we wanted. Just park there, sit in your car and eat. If a warden comes along, just drive off before he gets to you.
I assume with the blue badge if a warden comes along then you won't have to drive off or worry a warden is going to get you? Maybe thats what's got to do with his blue badge? Maybe.
[quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dango[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dogbruce[/bold] wrote: Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ??[/p][/quote]for example, the guy I saw yesterday sat in his Mercedes, eating a bag of chips parked on double yellow lines on Back of The Walls. There's a council car park right there, and an NCP car park but no, he had a blue badge so can half block the road sitting on double yellow lines and eat his chips free from getting a ticket. That is just plain wrong IMO.[/p][/quote]What's that got to do with his blue badge? We could all do that, if we wanted. Just park there, sit in your car and eat. If a warden comes along, just drive off before he gets to you.[/p][/quote]I assume with the blue badge if a warden comes along then you won't have to drive off or worry a warden is going to get you? Maybe thats what's got to do with his blue badge? Maybe. S!monOn

5:03pm Fri 24 Aug 12

Georgem says...

S!monOn wrote:
Georgem wrote:
dango wrote:
dogbruce wrote: Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ??
for example, the guy I saw yesterday sat in his Mercedes, eating a bag of chips parked on double yellow lines on Back of The Walls. There's a council car park right there, and an NCP car park but no, he had a blue badge so can half block the road sitting on double yellow lines and eat his chips free from getting a ticket. That is just plain wrong IMO.
What's that got to do with his blue badge? We could all do that, if we wanted. Just park there, sit in your car and eat. If a warden comes along, just drive off before he gets to you.
I assume with the blue badge if a warden comes along then you won't have to drive off or worry a warden is going to get you? Maybe thats what's got to do with his blue badge? Maybe.
But that didn't happen. Dango is complaining that the guy was sat in his car, on yellow lines. I'm saying, we can all do that. If you're going to complain and whine, at least complain and whine about something that actually happened.
[quote][p][bold]S!monOn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dango[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dogbruce[/bold] wrote: Disabled drivers need to relise they cannot park just anywere,Bus lanes cycle lanes even on roundabouts ! How many family members and friends borrow the badge ??[/p][/quote]for example, the guy I saw yesterday sat in his Mercedes, eating a bag of chips parked on double yellow lines on Back of The Walls. There's a council car park right there, and an NCP car park but no, he had a blue badge so can half block the road sitting on double yellow lines and eat his chips free from getting a ticket. That is just plain wrong IMO.[/p][/quote]What's that got to do with his blue badge? We could all do that, if we wanted. Just park there, sit in your car and eat. If a warden comes along, just drive off before he gets to you.[/p][/quote]I assume with the blue badge if a warden comes along then you won't have to drive off or worry a warden is going to get you? Maybe thats what's got to do with his blue badge? Maybe.[/p][/quote]But that didn't happen. Dango is complaining that the guy was sat in his car, on yellow lines. I'm saying, we can all do that. If you're going to complain and whine, at least complain and whine about something that actually happened. Georgem

5:15pm Fri 24 Aug 12

rightway says...

If you can afford to run a car, you can afford to pay to park.
Disabled or not if you park on double yellow lines your car should be crushed.

This is mostly aimed at those who think the layby beside John Lewis, which has double yellow lines, is their personal parking space.
They seem fit enough to walk around John Lewis for two hours but they can't manage to park across the road then walk from the proper parking spaces.
Talk about playing the system.......
If you can afford to run a car, you can afford to pay to park. Disabled or not if you park on double yellow lines your car should be crushed. This is mostly aimed at those who think the layby beside John Lewis, which has double yellow lines, is their personal parking space. They seem fit enough to walk around John Lewis for two hours but they can't manage to park across the road then walk from the proper parking spaces. Talk about playing the system....... rightway

7:02pm Fri 24 Aug 12

Brite Spark says...

Disabled people to be treated the same as normal people, we can't have that can we?!
(PS They get the best parking spaces as it is).
Disabled people to be treated the same as normal people, we can't have that can we?! (PS They get the best parking spaces as it is). Brite Spark

7:53pm Fri 24 Aug 12

Of the Ilk says...

Brite Spark wrote:
Disabled people to be treated the same as normal people, we can't have that can we?!
(PS They get the best parking spaces as it is).
I hope you never need to ap[ply for a Blue Badge
[quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: Disabled people to be treated the same as normal people, we can't have that can we?! (PS They get the best parking spaces as it is).[/p][/quote]I hope you never need to ap[ply for a Blue Badge Of the Ilk

11:52pm Fri 24 Aug 12

Facewagon says...

Brite Spark wrote:
Disabled people to be treated the same as normal people, we can't have that can we?!
(PS They get the best parking spaces as it is).
Oh, those lucky disabled people! I wish I was disabled or dying of cancer or something, just so I could get access to 'the best spaces'.

Twit.
[quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: Disabled people to be treated the same as normal people, we can't have that can we?! (PS They get the best parking spaces as it is).[/p][/quote]Oh, those lucky disabled people! I wish I was disabled or dying of cancer or something, just so I could get access to 'the best spaces'. Twit. Facewagon

12:19am Sat 25 Aug 12

bazzeroz says...

Paralympics start next week. Blue badge heaven around the stadium. Lets see how many loose their benefit/s because they can perform!! (I am not knocking disability just saying what people are thinking) Beware the cctv cameras ;) Cameron's watching or, one of his disability police force are.
Paralympics start next week. Blue badge heaven around the stadium. Lets see how many loose their benefit/s because they can perform!! (I am not knocking disability just saying what people are thinking) Beware the cctv cameras ;) Cameron's watching or, one of his disability police force are. bazzeroz

10:30am Sat 25 Aug 12

ohec says...

johnm wrote:
W|hy don't they do what some neighbouring councils do. Free parking for tax exempt vehicles, which you can get if you are on the higher disability allowance and need a car.
Because a very high proportion of those on the higher rate are con merchants and i for one object most strongly to providing them with a free car let alone free parking to go with it, there are thousands of pensioners out there who are on a lower income than the disabled that struggle to run a car and pay to park, everybody should pay and on road parking for Blue Badge holders should also be severely restricted.
[quote][p][bold]johnm[/bold] wrote: W|hy don't they do what some neighbouring councils do. Free parking for tax exempt vehicles, which you can get if you are on the higher disability allowance and need a car.[/p][/quote]Because a very high proportion of those on the higher rate are con merchants and i for one object most strongly to providing them with a free car let alone free parking to go with it, there are thousands of pensioners out there who are on a lower income than the disabled that struggle to run a car and pay to park, everybody should pay and on road parking for Blue Badge holders should also be severely restricted. ohec

11:43am Tue 4 Sep 12

BenjiWinsor says...

I am a blue badge holder and agree with the decision. However I think if you have a blue badge and are on means tested benefits perhaps the parking clock could be reduced.

Just want to point out the the Disability Discrimation Act has been replaced now by the Equality Act 2010.
I am a blue badge holder and agree with the decision. However I think if you have a blue badge and are on means tested benefits perhaps the parking clock could be reduced. Just want to point out the the Disability Discrimation Act has been replaced now by the Equality Act 2010. BenjiWinsor

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree