Tesco: 'We're not trying to compete with Bradbeers'

Daily Echo: Tesco: 'We're not trying to compete with Bradbeers' Tesco: 'We're not trying to compete with Bradbeers'

TESCO has hit back at a Romsey retailer’s threat to quit the town if the supermarket giant’s proposed store gets the go-ahead.

Department store, Bradbeers, has said it feared the impact on trade of such a store and would abandon its own multi-million pound expansion plan if the supermarket is approved.

However, Tesco said it was not seeking to compete as a department store and argued its investment would help other town traders.

Managing-director, Greg Davies, has said he would “seriously consider” moving if trade deteriorated enough in a letter of objection to Test Valley Borough Council planners on Tesco’s application for a store on a six-acre site at the Fairground Field site, part of the Broadlands estate.

He has claimed that having the Tesco store could deter other businesses from investing in the town or prevent others from starting business.

Simon Petar, Tesco corporate affairs manager, said their proposal was for a small superstore selling predominantly groceries, not a department store.

He added: “Rather than being challenged by our plans, we fully expect other retailers in Romsey to benefit from our investment.

“We estimate around £50 million is spent each year by local people on food shopping alone in other nearby towns. We want to keep these shoppers in Romsey, spending money not just at our store, but also with other town centre traders.”

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:04pm Fri 2 Nov 12

sotonboy84 says...

Tesco wouldn't need to compete as they would completely destroy the infrastructure of shops Romsey currently has. Romsey is made up of many small independent shops which all serve a purpose. If Tesco move in, they will sell everything and more than these shops currently sell, all under one roof. Therefore no competing as Tesco will win.
Tesco wouldn't need to compete as they would completely destroy the infrastructure of shops Romsey currently has. Romsey is made up of many small independent shops which all serve a purpose. If Tesco move in, they will sell everything and more than these shops currently sell, all under one roof. Therefore no competing as Tesco will win. sotonboy84
  • Score: -1

4:10pm Fri 2 Nov 12

sotonboy84 says...

Tesco wouldn't need to compete as they would completely destroy the infrastructure of shops Romsey currently has. Romsey is made up of many small independent shops which all serve a purpose. If Tesco move in, they will sell everything and more than these shops currently sell, all under one roof. Therefore no competing as Tesco will win.
Tesco wouldn't need to compete as they would completely destroy the infrastructure of shops Romsey currently has. Romsey is made up of many small independent shops which all serve a purpose. If Tesco move in, they will sell everything and more than these shops currently sell, all under one roof. Therefore no competing as Tesco will win. sotonboy84
  • Score: -1

4:38pm Fri 2 Nov 12

aldermoorboy says...

Let customers decide, Tesco is a great British success story directly employing 500,000 people and indirectly many more.
Good on you Tesco, I hope the people of Romsey get the chance to shop at this store
Let customers decide, Tesco is a great British success story directly employing 500,000 people and indirectly many more. Good on you Tesco, I hope the people of Romsey get the chance to shop at this store aldermoorboy
  • Score: 1

5:00pm Fri 2 Nov 12

sotonboy84 says...

aldermoorboy wrote:
Let customers decide, Tesco is a great British success story directly employing 500,000 people and indirectly many more. Good on you Tesco, I hope the people of Romsey get the chance to shop at this store
So you think it's a better idea for a thriving town centre to be destroyed because of the likes of Tesco?
So they may employ many people up and down the country but what about the livelihoods of all the independent businesses and not to mention the dead town that will be left behind?
I hope Tesco get refused and give up their fight.
[quote][p][bold]aldermoorboy[/bold] wrote: Let customers decide, Tesco is a great British success story directly employing 500,000 people and indirectly many more. Good on you Tesco, I hope the people of Romsey get the chance to shop at this store[/p][/quote]So you think it's a better idea for a thriving town centre to be destroyed because of the likes of Tesco? So they may employ many people up and down the country but what about the livelihoods of all the independent businesses and not to mention the dead town that will be left behind? I hope Tesco get refused and give up their fight. sotonboy84
  • Score: -1

5:04pm Fri 2 Nov 12

Georgem says...

sotonboy84 wrote:
Tesco wouldn't need to compete as they would completely destroy the infrastructure of shops Romsey currently has. Romsey is made up of many small independent shops which all serve a purpose. If Tesco move in, they will sell everything and more than these shops currently sell, all under one roof. Therefore no competing as Tesco will win.
If what you say is true, then it's the customer who will win, isn't it? After all, if Tesco can just swoop in and steal all the custom from all those independent shops, then it must be because they offer something those independent shops didn't. Lower prices? An easier shopping experience? Better quality? Who can tell? The shopper, that's who. So let them. If you argue against Tesco being opened, you're really arguing in favour of getting an inferior shopping experience in Romsey, with less choice.
[quote][p][bold]sotonboy84[/bold] wrote: Tesco wouldn't need to compete as they would completely destroy the infrastructure of shops Romsey currently has. Romsey is made up of many small independent shops which all serve a purpose. If Tesco move in, they will sell everything and more than these shops currently sell, all under one roof. Therefore no competing as Tesco will win.[/p][/quote]If what you say is true, then it's the customer who will win, isn't it? After all, if Tesco can just swoop in and steal all the custom from all those independent shops, then it must be because they offer something those independent shops didn't. Lower prices? An easier shopping experience? Better quality? Who can tell? The shopper, that's who. So let them. If you argue against Tesco being opened, you're really arguing in favour of getting an inferior shopping experience in Romsey, with less choice. Georgem
  • Score: 1

7:01pm Fri 2 Nov 12

Vix1 says...

Since when has Romsey been a "thriving town centre"??? Always full of old folks and shops that are at the best pretentious and the worst outdated! Also, Tesco is nothing like Bradbeers so why are they getting their bloomers in a knot??
Since when has Romsey been a "thriving town centre"??? Always full of old folks and shops that are at the best pretentious and the worst outdated! Also, Tesco is nothing like Bradbeers so why are they getting their bloomers in a knot?? Vix1
  • Score: 1

1:30pm Sat 3 Nov 12

sass says...

Maybe Tesco should provide free long term parking which would encourage shoppers to also take a walk around town, or go for lunch. That must be good for the smal retailers because it's hard to find parking in the town center.
Maybe Tesco should provide free long term parking which would encourage shoppers to also take a walk around town, or go for lunch. That must be good for the smal retailers because it's hard to find parking in the town center. sass
  • Score: 1

1:48pm Sat 3 Nov 12

sass says...

Vix1 wrote:
Since when has Romsey been a "thriving town centre"??? Always full of old folks and shops that are at the best pretentious and the worst outdated! Also, Tesco is nothing like Bradbeers so why are they getting their bloomers in a knot??
Old folks are the ones with money in their pocket.
[quote][p][bold]Vix1[/bold] wrote: Since when has Romsey been a "thriving town centre"??? Always full of old folks and shops that are at the best pretentious and the worst outdated! Also, Tesco is nothing like Bradbeers so why are they getting their bloomers in a knot??[/p][/quote]Old folks are the ones with money in their pocket. sass
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree