Romsey medical student holds Everest title - for 24 hours

Climber Becky Bellworthy.

Mount Everest.

First published in Romsey by

FOR 24 hours she was on top of the world.

Record-breaking Hampshire student Becky Bellworthy, 20, celebrated after becoming the youngest British female to conquer Everest.

Yet her time as record holder was short-lived as the next day 18-year-old Leanna Shuttleworth, who lives in Dubai, took over as youngest female Briton to scale the world’s highest mountain.

Becky, from Romsey, reached the summit, 29,035ft above sea level, at 6am local time on Saturday.

She was part of an expedition which set off for the summit from Camp 4 on the South Col at 9pm on Friday.

After climbing in the dark for about eight hours, Becky’s party neared the top of the mountain. As they made their ascent they could see the sunrise over the curvature of the earth.

Having made a rapid descent Becky’s team were back at Camp 4 by 10am. The climbers spent an uncomfortable night there, at 26,000ft, in their tiny tents which were constantly buffeted by high winds.

Becky’s triumph came a year on from a major setback which threatened to end her climbing career.

The determined medical student was taken off Everest last year suffering from altitude sickness.

Initially it was feared Becky had suffered a mini-stroke while at Camp 2, 6,400m above sea level after she complained of paralysis down her left side. An MRI scan revealed no signs of stroke and it was believed that Becky may have suffered a severe form of migraine.

This time Becky suffered nothing more than frost nip on two toes and some big blisters but was still able to make the descent to base camp on Sunday, where she was able to phone home.

Her mother Anne said she’d undergone a mixture of emotions while waiting to hear news from Nepal.

“I was shaking all day, I was so excited,” said Anne.

She said she would have been far more anxious had she known about the tragedy which had beset other expeditions on Saturday.

Three climbers returning from the summit died and two others are missing, the Nepalese government confirmed this week.

Tragedy A German, a Nepal-born Canadian and a Korean died on Saturday while making their descent from the peak after a wind storm swept the mountain later on Saturday.

“The first I knew about the deaths was when Becky phoned on Sunday,” said Mrs Bellworthy.

“There was a very narrow window of opportunity for reaching the summit and Becky was lucky to get there before the winds became too strong.”

Reaching the summit of Everest is unlikely to be the end of Becky’s adventures.

She has a “to do before I’m 25 list” which included cycling from John O’Groats to Land’s End and swimming the Channel, all of which will have to be fitted in around her medical studies.

Her mum praised the University of Southampton for allowing her extended leave to take part in the expedition.

Becky’s ascent of Everest has been raising money for the charity Women for Women, which helps women survivors of war rebuild their lives.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:57pm Tue 22 May 12

espanuel says...

Becky, Well Done.
Becky, Well Done. espanuel
  • Score: 0

11:22pm Tue 22 May 12

IronLady2010 says...

Well done Becky, would love to be as brave as you! x
Well done Becky, would love to be as brave as you! x IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

4:28am Wed 23 May 12

stay local says...

With just the permit to enter the climbing zone of Everest costing £6346.49 and as she did this last year as well, you can estimate the total cost involved to be over £50,000 per trip. if the charity even receives £5000 I would be surprised. Would it have been better just to donate the money she spent?
With just the permit to enter the climbing zone of Everest costing £6346.49 and as she did this last year as well, you can estimate the total cost involved to be over £50,000 per trip. if the charity even receives £5000 I would be surprised. Would it have been better just to donate the money she spent? stay local
  • Score: 0

8:59am Wed 23 May 12

Taskforce 141 says...

stay local wrote:
With just the permit to enter the climbing zone of Everest costing £6346.49 and as she did this last year as well, you can estimate the total cost involved to be over £50,000 per trip. if the charity even receives £5000 I would be surprised. Would it have been better just to donate the money she spent?
Thats the attitude you muppet, this young girl has done something that most of the population (of the World) will never do, and all you can do is sit there and criticise.

Well done Becky
[quote][p][bold]stay local[/bold] wrote: With just the permit to enter the climbing zone of Everest costing £6346.49 and as she did this last year as well, you can estimate the total cost involved to be over £50,000 per trip. if the charity even receives £5000 I would be surprised. Would it have been better just to donate the money she spent?[/p][/quote]Thats the attitude you muppet, this young girl has done something that most of the population (of the World) will never do, and all you can do is sit there and criticise. Well done Becky Taskforce 141
  • Score: 0

1:08pm Wed 23 May 12

stay local says...

Taskforce 141 wrote:
stay local wrote:
With just the permit to enter the climbing zone of Everest costing £6346.49 and as she did this last year as well, you can estimate the total cost involved to be over £50,000 per trip. if the charity even receives £5000 I would be surprised. Would it have been better just to donate the money she spent?
Thats the attitude you muppet, this young girl has done something that most of the population (of the World) will never do, and all you can do is sit there and criticise.

Well done Becky
You are right when you say most of the population of the world cannot do it, simply because they do not have enough money. As for the level of difficulty and deprivation to achieve this you must remember last week a 71 year old made her second summit, it is now about 3000 people have done this climb. Yes she has achieved something, but it is the finances of others who enabled this to happen and had those resources been put into fund raising for the charity think of the difference that would have made.
[quote][p][bold]Taskforce 141[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stay local[/bold] wrote: With just the permit to enter the climbing zone of Everest costing £6346.49 and as she did this last year as well, you can estimate the total cost involved to be over £50,000 per trip. if the charity even receives £5000 I would be surprised. Would it have been better just to donate the money she spent?[/p][/quote]Thats the attitude you muppet, this young girl has done something that most of the population (of the World) will never do, and all you can do is sit there and criticise. Well done Becky[/p][/quote]You are right when you say most of the population of the world cannot do it, simply because they do not have enough money. As for the level of difficulty and deprivation to achieve this you must remember last week a 71 year old made her second summit, it is now about 3000 people have done this climb. Yes she has achieved something, but it is the finances of others who enabled this to happen and had those resources been put into fund raising for the charity think of the difference that would have made. stay local
  • Score: 0

7:34pm Fri 25 May 12

Chris woodhall says...

stay local wrote:
Taskforce 141 wrote:
stay local wrote:
With just the permit to enter the climbing zone of Everest costing £6346.49 and as she did this last year as well, you can estimate the total cost involved to be over £50,000 per trip. if the charity even receives £5000 I would be surprised. Would it have been better just to donate the money she spent?
Thats the attitude you muppet, this young girl has done something that most of the population (of the World) will never do, and all you can do is sit there and criticise.

Well done Becky
You are right when you say most of the population of the world cannot do it, simply because they do not have enough money. As for the level of difficulty and deprivation to achieve this you must remember last week a 71 year old made her second summit, it is now about 3000 people have done this climb. Yes she has achieved something, but it is the finances of others who enabled this to happen and had those resources been put into fund raising for the charity think of the difference that would have made.
As a long term friend of the family I think I will throw my hat into the ring on this one. I know how hard Becky had to fight 18 months ago to secure financial backing for her first attempt. Then with just 6 days until departure with the help of contacts from a mutual friend she finally got the funding to make the trip a go. I also remember talking to that mutual friend who was with her on the mountain when she was taken ill, a few days after she had to leave the expedition, everyone was so disappointed that she had not succeeded in her ascent. Following an Internet conversation with her whilst still in Kathmandu her obvious disappointment was heartbreaking to see. However upon her safe return home those embers of disappointment were fanned into flames of absolute determination not to give up. Everest 2012 was on for her. Just a few short months before her departure her main sponsor from 2011 withdrew leaving the attempt in doubt. But rather than give up she knuckled down and made it happen. All this while studying her first year of a medical degree. So people, rather than knocking people down for getting out there, setting themselves goals and achieving them despite the odds, perhaps we should commend these much maligned youth of today for trying to make a difference. When my children grow up I hope they have even half the drive and determination shown by Becky and the rest of the team. Well done Becky, I am proud to call you my friend.
[quote][p][bold]stay local[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Taskforce 141[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stay local[/bold] wrote: With just the permit to enter the climbing zone of Everest costing £6346.49 and as she did this last year as well, you can estimate the total cost involved to be over £50,000 per trip. if the charity even receives £5000 I would be surprised. Would it have been better just to donate the money she spent?[/p][/quote]Thats the attitude you muppet, this young girl has done something that most of the population (of the World) will never do, and all you can do is sit there and criticise. Well done Becky[/p][/quote]You are right when you say most of the population of the world cannot do it, simply because they do not have enough money. As for the level of difficulty and deprivation to achieve this you must remember last week a 71 year old made her second summit, it is now about 3000 people have done this climb. Yes she has achieved something, but it is the finances of others who enabled this to happen and had those resources been put into fund raising for the charity think of the difference that would have made.[/p][/quote]As a long term friend of the family I think I will throw my hat into the ring on this one. I know how hard Becky had to fight 18 months ago to secure financial backing for her first attempt. Then with just 6 days until departure with the help of contacts from a mutual friend she finally got the funding to make the trip a go. I also remember talking to that mutual friend who was with her on the mountain when she was taken ill, a few days after she had to leave the expedition, everyone was so disappointed that she had not succeeded in her ascent. Following an Internet conversation with her whilst still in Kathmandu her obvious disappointment was heartbreaking to see. However upon her safe return home those embers of disappointment were fanned into flames of absolute determination not to give up. Everest 2012 was on for her. Just a few short months before her departure her main sponsor from 2011 withdrew leaving the attempt in doubt. But rather than give up she knuckled down and made it happen. All this while studying her first year of a medical degree. So people, rather than knocking people down for getting out there, setting themselves goals and achieving them despite the odds, perhaps we should commend these much maligned youth of today for trying to make a difference. When my children grow up I hope they have even half the drive and determination shown by Becky and the rest of the team. Well done Becky, I am proud to call you my friend. Chris woodhall
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree