ITV Meridian opts for new studio in Whiteley rather than return to Southampton

Meridian decides not to move back to city

Fred Dinenage and Sangeta Bhabra

Demolition of the former TV studios in Northam

The offices in Charlotte Place

First published in Southampton Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author Exclusive by , Education Reporter

SECRET talks have failed to bring ITV Meridian back to Southampton, the Daily Echo can reveal.

The broadcaster has to quit its current home in the New Year after landlords at its Hampshire base cancelled the lease, but now looks likely instead to relocate to another property within Whiteley.

Meridian bosses had been considering heading back to Southampton, which it left five years ago when it moved out of its Northam studios, and had identified the near-empty Charlotte Place development as a potential new home.

Despite frantic behind-the scenes efforts from Southampton City Council chiefs to sweeten the deal, negotiations broke down at the last minute and the firm has decided to stay in an out-of-town location where rents are cheaper.

The broadcaster is being forced to move after its landlords activated a break clause in the lease on its Solent Business Park home.

It is understood bosses were already looking at shifting studios and newsrooms, with a plan to return to Southampton being seriously considered to help improve the station’s news coverage.

Southampton is the second-biggest city – behind Brighton & Hove – in Meridian’s region, which stretches 200 miles from Dorset to Kent, and north to Oxfordshire.

Discussions with agents over an eight-year lease on the top floor of Charlotte Place, next to Jury’s Inn, reached an advanced stage.

Only one floor of the eight-storey £55m development has ever been let since it was built five years ago, but the two parties were unable to agree a compromise over the advertised £19.75-per-square-foot rent.

However, a deal was close to being struck with Southampton City Council over renting 55 spaces at the Grosvenor Square Car Park for £50,000 a year – a significant reduction on the standard £1,600 season ticket charge.

An ITV spokesman said: “The landlord of the current base of Meridian in Whiteley has a break clause in the lease, and they’re activating it, which we’re using as an opportunity to move to a new base that better suits our needs. We’re in advanced negotiations on a property close to the current site.”

Southampton City Council leader Royston Smith said: “We’re massively disappointed. We did everything we could to make it an attractive offer for them, including finding dedicated parking for them at a competitive rate.

“We wanted to bring Meridian and that level of jobs back into the city after they left some years ago.”

Meridian’s latest move comes just two years after a radical shake-up a saw more than 100 jobs cut in its newsroom.

Presenter Debbie Thrower was the highest profile casualty of the cull, which resulted in more than half of workers being made redundant as three previously distinct areas were merged to produce just one super-region.

Despite being filmed in Hampshire, Meridian Tonight presenters Fred Dinenage and Sangeeta Bhabra sit in front of a screen showing images of a bridge in Maidstone, Kent.

The seven-acre site of Meridian's former Southampton home, next to Northam Bridge, is still lying empty after the studios were demolished.

Surrey-based developers Oakdene bought the land for £8.5m, but its £100m plans for two 18-storey towers and a crescent of apartments and family homes with gardens were plunged into uncertainty when the company fell into administration last year.

Comments (42)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:52am Thu 23 Dec 10

Militant Ford Worker says...

Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.
Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey. Militant Ford Worker
  • Score: 0

10:53am Thu 23 Dec 10

sotonwinch09 says...

Does it really matter where they are located? We all receive the same programme on our tv's.
Does it really matter where they are located? We all receive the same programme on our tv's. sotonwinch09
  • Score: 0

10:54am Thu 23 Dec 10

Dusty says...

Who cares, Local tv is not the force it was, as all it provides is local news and and not much else. Even the local news is not local. I don't call Oxford, Brighton Maidstone, local news. So what will moving Meridian to Southampton achieve?
Who cares, Local tv is not the force it was, as all it provides is local news and and not much else. Even the local news is not local. I don't call Oxford, Brighton Maidstone, local news. So what will moving Meridian to Southampton achieve? Dusty
  • Score: 0

10:56am Thu 23 Dec 10

Maine Lobster says...

"Only one floor of the eight storey development has been let since if was built 5 years ago..." referring to the Charlotte place development. So why didn't the Council move in there instead of wasting £25m on the Guildhall Square development? This Council is shameful.
"Only one floor of the eight storey development has been let since if was built 5 years ago..." referring to the Charlotte place development. So why didn't the Council move in there instead of wasting £25m on the Guildhall Square development? This Council is shameful. Maine Lobster
  • Score: 0

11:18am Thu 23 Dec 10

Mental Micky says...

Every night at the end of Meridian News the people with the longest anniversaries always live in Kent. Is it something in the water?
Every night at the end of Meridian News the people with the longest anniversaries always live in Kent. Is it something in the water? Mental Micky
  • Score: 0

11:27am Thu 23 Dec 10

News Fanatic says...

sotonwinch09 wrote:
Does it really matter where they are located? We all receive the same programme on our tv's.
That's not quite true because the eastern area of Meridian's franchise (Kent etc) gets a different first 15 mins of the evening news prog. One of them is pre-recorded using the same presenters.
[quote][p][bold]sotonwinch09[/bold] wrote: Does it really matter where they are located? We all receive the same programme on our tv's.[/p][/quote]That's not quite true because the eastern area of Meridian's franchise (Kent etc) gets a different first 15 mins of the evening news prog. One of them is pre-recorded using the same presenters. News Fanatic
  • Score: 0

11:41am Thu 23 Dec 10

sensablesaint says...

how about moving the presenters up north so i do not have to listen to the :we love ourselves garbage:
how about moving the presenters up north so i do not have to listen to the :we love ourselves garbage: sensablesaint
  • Score: 0

11:42am Thu 23 Dec 10

sotonwinch09 says...

It's all about BBC South Today anyway. All meridian report on is "80 year old dave's record breaking marrow"
It's all about BBC South Today anyway. All meridian report on is "80 year old dave's record breaking marrow" sotonwinch09
  • Score: 0

11:43am Thu 23 Dec 10

Scrutinizer says...

The plain fact of the matter is Meridian (or their parent company/companies) had got to the stage, financially, where they just could not afford to continue runnning all of their tv broadcasting sites they had previous to their revamp of the company's business interests. So it was inevitable with the cutbacks, that what constitutes 'local' news content for them, would change for the newly amalgamated programmes. Now as much as I like ol' Fred, especially, you couldn't wish to meet a nicer, more genuine and profesional guy from the t.v. world, in my opinion I think it's time now for a serious revamp of the whole local news format. But exactly "how do you" do that"?! ;-)
The plain fact of the matter is Meridian (or their parent company/companies) had got to the stage, financially, where they just could not afford to continue runnning all of their tv broadcasting sites they had previous to their revamp of the company's business interests. So it was inevitable with the cutbacks, that what constitutes 'local' news content for them, would change for the newly amalgamated programmes. Now as much as I like ol' Fred, especially, you couldn't wish to meet a nicer, more genuine and profesional guy from the t.v. world, in my opinion I think it's time now for a serious revamp of the whole local news format. But exactly "how do you" do that"?! ;-) Scrutinizer
  • Score: 0

11:51am Thu 23 Dec 10

The irate commuter says...

Does anyone actually still watch meridean news ? I have no interest in what is happening in Chatham
Does anyone actually still watch meridean news ? I have no interest in what is happening in Chatham The irate commuter
  • Score: 0

12:13pm Thu 23 Dec 10

mayfly says...

sensablesaint wrote:
how about moving the presenters up north so i do not have to listen to the :we love ourselves garbage:
How about you turn off the TV or change channel or better still why don't you move up north then this awesome problem will no longer exists for you?
You sound almost as daft as Militant Ford and his inane comment about Fred Dineage being scared to park his car in Southampton just because Dineage happens to have an association with Portsmouth FC.
[quote][p][bold]sensablesaint[/bold] wrote: how about moving the presenters up north so i do not have to listen to the :we love ourselves garbage:[/p][/quote]How about you turn off the TV or change channel or better still why don't you move up north then this awesome problem will no longer exists for you? You sound almost as daft as Militant Ford and his inane comment about Fred Dineage being scared to park his car in Southampton just because Dineage happens to have an association with Portsmouth FC. mayfly
  • Score: 0

1:13pm Thu 23 Dec 10

southy says...

Militant Ford Worker wrote:
Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.
more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug.
bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.
[quote][p][bold]Militant Ford Worker[/bold] wrote: Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.[/p][/quote]more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug. bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up. southy
  • Score: 0

1:34pm Thu 23 Dec 10

Torchie1 says...

southy wrote:
Militant Ford Worker wrote:
Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.
more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug.
bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.
Are we going to meet up at the Bitterne branch of Lloyds bank? Let me know when you make the appointment.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Militant Ford Worker[/bold] wrote: Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.[/p][/quote]more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug. bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.[/p][/quote]Are we going to meet up at the Bitterne branch of Lloyds bank? Let me know when you make the appointment. Torchie1
  • Score: 0

1:36pm Thu 23 Dec 10

BP says...

Yeah Militant Ford Worker. Thats exactly the reason why they chose to remain in Whiteley.
Cause Fred makes all the ITV decisions you know.
Anyone who knows him or has met him knows he doesnt buy into this Saints/Pompey stuff.
Carry on the good work Meridian, enjoy the program very much.
Yeah Militant Ford Worker. Thats exactly the reason why they chose to remain in Whiteley. Cause Fred makes all the ITV decisions you know. Anyone who knows him or has met him knows he doesnt buy into this Saints/Pompey stuff. Carry on the good work Meridian, enjoy the program very much. BP
  • Score: 0

1:45pm Thu 23 Dec 10

lowe esteem says...

In the spirit of previous contributions, I should like to remind readers that Mr Stonenage(sic) Combover has been allowed more publicity for his beloved team in the ECHO Weekend supplement than at any time on Day by Day etc. This used to get a lot of us true Saints quite worked up, but nowadays, it's less frequent, and for all that, a lot funnier. You brought it on yourself Fred!
Why are all Pompey's celebrity fans pantomime characters?
In the spirit of previous contributions, I should like to remind readers that Mr Stonenage(sic) Combover has been allowed more publicity for his beloved team in the ECHO Weekend supplement than at any time on Day by Day etc. This used to get a lot of us true Saints quite worked up, but nowadays, it's less frequent, and for all that, a lot funnier. You brought it on yourself Fred! Why are all Pompey's celebrity fans pantomime characters? lowe esteem
  • Score: 0

2:49pm Thu 23 Dec 10

southy says...

Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
Militant Ford Worker wrote:
Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.
more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug.
bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.
Are we going to meet up at the Bitterne branch of Lloyds bank? Let me know when you make the appointment.
whats up with you can't you do some thing with out some one holding your hand, are you that much of a sheep that you need some one to guide you. now i told you the person to ask for and what branch. you ask him the right question and he will give you an honest answer and he will show you where and when.
i don't need to make any appointments with him i see him once in a while, and if i have any problems in that area that i can not sort out my self i will ask him, when my niece and him self comes a visiting, and i know i will be seeing them over xmas period.
if you have a problem of under standing english, because you come from aboard tell him that to. he will do his best to make sure you do understand.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Militant Ford Worker[/bold] wrote: Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.[/p][/quote]more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug. bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.[/p][/quote]Are we going to meet up at the Bitterne branch of Lloyds bank? Let me know when you make the appointment.[/p][/quote]whats up with you can't you do some thing with out some one holding your hand, are you that much of a sheep that you need some one to guide you. now i told you the person to ask for and what branch. you ask him the right question and he will give you an honest answer and he will show you where and when. i don't need to make any appointments with him i see him once in a while, and if i have any problems in that area that i can not sort out my self i will ask him, when my niece and him self comes a visiting, and i know i will be seeing them over xmas period. if you have a problem of under standing english, because you come from aboard tell him that to. he will do his best to make sure you do understand. southy
  • Score: 0

2:51pm Thu 23 Dec 10

southy says...

lowe esteem wrote:
In the spirit of previous contributions, I should like to remind readers that Mr Stonenage(sic) Combover has been allowed more publicity for his beloved team in the ECHO Weekend supplement than at any time on Day by Day etc. This used to get a lot of us true Saints quite worked up, but nowadays, it's less frequent, and for all that, a lot funnier. You brought it on yourself Fred!
Why are all Pompey's celebrity fans pantomime characters?
maybe its because its the southern echo and not southampton echo
[quote][p][bold]lowe esteem[/bold] wrote: In the spirit of previous contributions, I should like to remind readers that Mr Stonenage(sic) Combover has been allowed more publicity for his beloved team in the ECHO Weekend supplement than at any time on Day by Day etc. This used to get a lot of us true Saints quite worked up, but nowadays, it's less frequent, and for all that, a lot funnier. You brought it on yourself Fred! Why are all Pompey's celebrity fans pantomime characters?[/p][/quote]maybe its because its the southern echo and not southampton echo southy
  • Score: 0

3:02pm Thu 23 Dec 10

Andy Locks Heath says...

southy wrote:
Militant Ford Worker wrote:
Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.
more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug.
bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.
What on earth did Mrs Thatcher have to do with it? ITV had been run by franchises since it was set up in the fifties, and as franchises expire periodically new companies can bid for them. The decision who to award new franchises to was taken by the IBA (a Quango) not by central government. In fact the decision to replace Southern TV was taken when the Callaghan Government was still in power anyway, but was not enacted for nearly a year afterwards for obvious commercial reasons. I liked Southern TV a lot (Jack Hargreaves was director) - in fact it actually outbid TVS for the franchise but the IBA did not award it a renewal because although it had a good reputation for childrens programmes (Worzel Gummidge, Freewheelers etc) it had a very poor contribution to national programming overall (Out of Town was a rare success). So there you are, nothing to do with the Iron Lady whatsoever! Fred Dineage is about the last connection with SOuthern TV still on our screens. Remember him, Jack, Bunty James and Jon Miller? How!
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Militant Ford Worker[/bold] wrote: Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.[/p][/quote]more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug. bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.[/p][/quote]What on earth did Mrs Thatcher have to do with it? ITV had been run by franchises since it was set up in the fifties, and as franchises expire periodically new companies can bid for them. The decision who to award new franchises to was taken by the IBA (a Quango) not by central government. In fact the decision to replace Southern TV was taken when the Callaghan Government was still in power anyway, but was not enacted for nearly a year afterwards for obvious commercial reasons. I liked Southern TV a lot (Jack Hargreaves was director) - in fact it actually outbid TVS for the franchise but the IBA did not award it a renewal because although it had a good reputation for childrens programmes (Worzel Gummidge, Freewheelers etc) it had a very poor contribution to national programming overall (Out of Town was a rare success). So there you are, nothing to do with the Iron Lady whatsoever! Fred Dineage is about the last connection with SOuthern TV still on our screens. Remember him, Jack, Bunty James and Jon Miller? How! Andy Locks Heath
  • Score: 0

3:44pm Thu 23 Dec 10

Elgy says...

Dirty Skate ignoring Southampton as always. Meridian's all about Pompey, just like BBC News is all about Oxford! Can't imagine anyone in this city standing up for ourselves though, so it continues...
Dirty Skate ignoring Southampton as always. Meridian's all about Pompey, just like BBC News is all about Oxford! Can't imagine anyone in this city standing up for ourselves though, so it continues... Elgy
  • Score: 0

3:46pm Thu 23 Dec 10

Totton Ric says...

Since they moved from Southampton to the new studios the Back ground was of Portsmouth, then changed to a bridge in Reading, When’s it Southampton’s turn ?????
Since they moved from Southampton to the new studios the Back ground was of Portsmouth, then changed to a bridge in Reading, When’s it Southampton’s turn ????? Totton Ric
  • Score: 0

4:07pm Thu 23 Dec 10

Torchie1 says...

southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
Militant Ford Worker wrote:
Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.
more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug.
bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.
Are we going to meet up at the Bitterne branch of Lloyds bank? Let me know when you make the appointment.
whats up with you can't you do some thing with out some one holding your hand, are you that much of a sheep that you need some one to guide you. now i told you the person to ask for and what branch. you ask him the right question and he will give you an honest answer and he will show you where and when.
i don't need to make any appointments with him i see him once in a while, and if i have any problems in that area that i can not sort out my self i will ask him, when my niece and him self comes a visiting, and i know i will be seeing them over xmas period.
if you have a problem of under standing english, because you come from aboard tell him that to. he will do his best to make sure you do understand.
I think you may have become confused about the original question. I listed Tax Free schemes available in the UK under HMRC guidelines. As you clearly didn't know what was on offer under these rules, I thought you may believe your relative who you say works in a bank. I already understand the rules and have taken advantage of them from when I was domiciled here. If your relative agreed with me and I then passed this on to you via this site, you would argue black was white in order to prove yourself correct so I think we both need to hear the message at the same time from the same source. I will even pick you up at your house and drive you there but I won't let you wriggle out of it. You made an incorrect statement and I think you need to be shown the error of your ways. Just let me know when you've made the appointment and where you want to be picked up.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Militant Ford Worker[/bold] wrote: Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.[/p][/quote]more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug. bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.[/p][/quote]Are we going to meet up at the Bitterne branch of Lloyds bank? Let me know when you make the appointment.[/p][/quote]whats up with you can't you do some thing with out some one holding your hand, are you that much of a sheep that you need some one to guide you. now i told you the person to ask for and what branch. you ask him the right question and he will give you an honest answer and he will show you where and when. i don't need to make any appointments with him i see him once in a while, and if i have any problems in that area that i can not sort out my self i will ask him, when my niece and him self comes a visiting, and i know i will be seeing them over xmas period. if you have a problem of under standing english, because you come from aboard tell him that to. he will do his best to make sure you do understand.[/p][/quote]I think you may have become confused about the original question. I listed Tax Free schemes available in the UK under HMRC guidelines. As you clearly didn't know what was on offer under these rules, I thought you may believe your relative who you say works in a bank. I already understand the rules and have taken advantage of them from when I was domiciled here. If your relative agreed with me and I then passed this on to you via this site, you would argue black was white in order to prove yourself correct so I think we both need to hear the message at the same time from the same source. I will even pick you up at your house and drive you there but I won't let you wriggle out of it. You made an incorrect statement and I think you need to be shown the error of your ways. Just let me know when you've made the appointment and where you want to be picked up. Torchie1
  • Score: 0

4:32pm Thu 23 Dec 10

bigronthestaff says...

It really doesn't matter where Meridian move to. Their 'local' news is appalling and hideously presented. Like the old addage goes; You can't polish a tLIrd.
It really doesn't matter where Meridian move to. Their 'local' news is appalling and hideously presented. Like the old addage goes; You can't polish a tLIrd. bigronthestaff
  • Score: 0

4:41pm Thu 23 Dec 10

southy says...

maggie government was the one that ordered a change, not callaghan.
now if i remember rightly, the review of iba in government took place in november 1980. (might be a few mths out here).
and decided to bring an end to the franchise at 23:59 on 31st december 1981. its funny how it happen not long after london itv gave maggie a rough ride on her policy,s.
and comparing with it neo-nationalism (fascism).
the owners of southern tv was associated newspapers, rank organisation and d c thomson & co.
d c thomson is not a very nice family business another news paper's, would not employ any one that was a member to a trade union, and if out that you joined one would try and get you removed by any means, and refused to employ catholics.
maggie was disappointed when southern tv never regain it franchise, this was one of the government regions that she hope would stay the same, and the reason why they never regain the franchise was because the rank organisation was having money problems at the time, and also it was rumored that they did not get along with thomson side of the partnership, because of the catholics and union policy he carried out with his own firm. so pulled out of the broadcasting franchise.
maggie government was the one that ordered a change, not callaghan. now if i remember rightly, the review of iba in government took place in november 1980. (might be a few mths out here). and decided to bring an end to the franchise at 23:59 on 31st december 1981. its funny how it happen not long after london itv gave maggie a rough ride on her policy,s. and comparing with it neo-nationalism (fascism). the owners of southern tv was associated newspapers, rank organisation and d c thomson & co. d c thomson is not a very nice family business another news paper's, would not employ any one that was a member to a trade union, and if out that you joined one would try and get you removed by any means, and refused to employ catholics. maggie was disappointed when southern tv never regain it franchise, this was one of the government regions that she hope would stay the same, and the reason why they never regain the franchise was because the rank organisation was having money problems at the time, and also it was rumored that they did not get along with thomson side of the partnership, because of the catholics and union policy he carried out with his own firm. so pulled out of the broadcasting franchise. southy
  • Score: 0

4:55pm Thu 23 Dec 10

southy says...

Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
Militant Ford Worker wrote:
Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.
more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug.
bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.
Are we going to meet up at the Bitterne branch of Lloyds bank? Let me know when you make the appointment.
whats up with you can't you do some thing with out some one holding your hand, are you that much of a sheep that you need some one to guide you. now i told you the person to ask for and what branch. you ask him the right question and he will give you an honest answer and he will show you where and when.
i don't need to make any appointments with him i see him once in a while, and if i have any problems in that area that i can not sort out my self i will ask him, when my niece and him self comes a visiting, and i know i will be seeing them over xmas period.
if you have a problem of under standing english, because you come from aboard tell him that to. he will do his best to make sure you do understand.
I think you may have become confused about the original question. I listed Tax Free schemes available in the UK under HMRC guidelines. As you clearly didn't know what was on offer under these rules, I thought you may believe your relative who you say works in a bank. I already understand the rules and have taken advantage of them from when I was domiciled here. If your relative agreed with me and I then passed this on to you via this site, you would argue black was white in order to prove yourself correct so I think we both need to hear the message at the same time from the same source. I will even pick you up at your house and drive you there but I won't let you wriggle out of it. You made an incorrect statement and I think you need to be shown the error of your ways. Just let me know when you've made the appointment and where you want to be picked up.
learn this will you nothing is tax free, you either pay it before hand, or you pay it after wards, and like i said go and talk to him, he will explain to you where it will get tax on each system, you don't need me to wet nurse you, and i will be seeing him on the 28th this mth at a family party.
don,t make the assumption that there is systems in the uk where you don't pay any taxes, because you do and never can get away with not paying unless your committing tax fraud, you either pay tax when you put money into a policy, or your pay tax on receiving if you go over the threshold limit.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Militant Ford Worker[/bold] wrote: Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.[/p][/quote]more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug. bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.[/p][/quote]Are we going to meet up at the Bitterne branch of Lloyds bank? Let me know when you make the appointment.[/p][/quote]whats up with you can't you do some thing with out some one holding your hand, are you that much of a sheep that you need some one to guide you. now i told you the person to ask for and what branch. you ask him the right question and he will give you an honest answer and he will show you where and when. i don't need to make any appointments with him i see him once in a while, and if i have any problems in that area that i can not sort out my self i will ask him, when my niece and him self comes a visiting, and i know i will be seeing them over xmas period. if you have a problem of under standing english, because you come from aboard tell him that to. he will do his best to make sure you do understand.[/p][/quote]I think you may have become confused about the original question. I listed Tax Free schemes available in the UK under HMRC guidelines. As you clearly didn't know what was on offer under these rules, I thought you may believe your relative who you say works in a bank. I already understand the rules and have taken advantage of them from when I was domiciled here. If your relative agreed with me and I then passed this on to you via this site, you would argue black was white in order to prove yourself correct so I think we both need to hear the message at the same time from the same source. I will even pick you up at your house and drive you there but I won't let you wriggle out of it. You made an incorrect statement and I think you need to be shown the error of your ways. Just let me know when you've made the appointment and where you want to be picked up.[/p][/quote]learn this will you nothing is tax free, you either pay it before hand, or you pay it after wards, and like i said go and talk to him, he will explain to you where it will get tax on each system, you don't need me to wet nurse you, and i will be seeing him on the 28th this mth at a family party. don,t make the assumption that there is systems in the uk where you don't pay any taxes, because you do and never can get away with not paying unless your committing tax fraud, you either pay tax when you put money into a policy, or your pay tax on receiving if you go over the threshold limit. southy
  • Score: 0

5:07pm Thu 23 Dec 10

Torchie1 says...

southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote:
Militant Ford Worker wrote:
Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.
more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug.
bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.
Are we going to meet up at the Bitterne branch of Lloyds bank? Let me know when you make the appointment.
whats up with you can't you do some thing with out some one holding your hand, are you that much of a sheep that you need some one to guide you. now i told you the person to ask for and what branch. you ask him the right question and he will give you an honest answer and he will show you where and when.
i don't need to make any appointments with him i see him once in a while, and if i have any problems in that area that i can not sort out my self i will ask him, when my niece and him self comes a visiting, and i know i will be seeing them over xmas period.
if you have a problem of under standing english, because you come from aboard tell him that to. he will do his best to make sure you do understand.
I think you may have become confused about the original question. I listed Tax Free schemes available in the UK under HMRC guidelines. As you clearly didn't know what was on offer under these rules, I thought you may believe your relative who you say works in a bank. I already understand the rules and have taken advantage of them from when I was domiciled here. If your relative agreed with me and I then passed this on to you via this site, you would argue black was white in order to prove yourself correct so I think we both need to hear the message at the same time from the same source. I will even pick you up at your house and drive you there but I won't let you wriggle out of it. You made an incorrect statement and I think you need to be shown the error of your ways. Just let me know when you've made the appointment and where you want to be picked up.
learn this will you nothing is tax free, you either pay it before hand, or you pay it after wards, and like i said go and talk to him, he will explain to you where it will get tax on each system, you don't need me to wet nurse you, and i will be seeing him on the 28th this mth at a family party.
don,t make the assumption that there is systems in the uk where you don't pay any taxes, because you do and never can get away with not paying unless your committing tax fraud, you either pay tax when you put money into a policy, or your pay tax on receiving if you go over the threshold limit.
You've expanded the argument to now include 'tax beforehand' which was not in the original discussion. One last throw of the dice. Try looking up 'MoneyExpert.com' and follow 'Savings' from which I've just copied this statement:- "Cash Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs) are tax free savings accounts". If you really want to stand your ground and continue to argue that black is white, I should be grateful that you are the public face of socialism on this site and it may help you understand why no-one votes for a party that's supported by a complete imbecile.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Militant Ford Worker[/bold] wrote: Fred Skate too scared to park in a Southampton Multi storey.[/p][/quote]more of a case that smithy was involved why it went down the plug. bring back southern tv like it was before thatcher messes it all up.[/p][/quote]Are we going to meet up at the Bitterne branch of Lloyds bank? Let me know when you make the appointment.[/p][/quote]whats up with you can't you do some thing with out some one holding your hand, are you that much of a sheep that you need some one to guide you. now i told you the person to ask for and what branch. you ask him the right question and he will give you an honest answer and he will show you where and when. i don't need to make any appointments with him i see him once in a while, and if i have any problems in that area that i can not sort out my self i will ask him, when my niece and him self comes a visiting, and i know i will be seeing them over xmas period. if you have a problem of under standing english, because you come from aboard tell him that to. he will do his best to make sure you do understand.[/p][/quote]I think you may have become confused about the original question. I listed Tax Free schemes available in the UK under HMRC guidelines. As you clearly didn't know what was on offer under these rules, I thought you may believe your relative who you say works in a bank. I already understand the rules and have taken advantage of them from when I was domiciled here. If your relative agreed with me and I then passed this on to you via this site, you would argue black was white in order to prove yourself correct so I think we both need to hear the message at the same time from the same source. I will even pick you up at your house and drive you there but I won't let you wriggle out of it. You made an incorrect statement and I think you need to be shown the error of your ways. Just let me know when you've made the appointment and where you want to be picked up.[/p][/quote]learn this will you nothing is tax free, you either pay it before hand, or you pay it after wards, and like i said go and talk to him, he will explain to you where it will get tax on each system, you don't need me to wet nurse you, and i will be seeing him on the 28th this mth at a family party. don,t make the assumption that there is systems in the uk where you don't pay any taxes, because you do and never can get away with not paying unless your committing tax fraud, you either pay tax when you put money into a policy, or your pay tax on receiving if you go over the threshold limit.[/p][/quote]You've expanded the argument to now include 'tax beforehand' which was not in the original discussion. One last throw of the dice. Try looking up 'MoneyExpert.com' and follow 'Savings' from which I've just copied this statement:- "Cash Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs) are tax free savings accounts". If you really want to stand your ground and continue to argue that black is white, I should be grateful that you are the public face of socialism on this site and it may help you understand why no-one votes for a party that's supported by a complete imbecile. Torchie1
  • Score: 0

5:18pm Thu 23 Dec 10

Condor Man says...

This goes to show the decline of ITV over the years. I remember when the Northam Studios was a flagship building during the Southern TV days. Regional broadcasting was the strength of ITV- shows like Coronation St and Emmerdale would never have started on BBC. Now ITV are seen as a mediocre tenant if the landlord wants to break the lease. Sad demise of a once good channel
This goes to show the decline of ITV over the years. I remember when the Northam Studios was a flagship building during the Southern TV days. Regional broadcasting was the strength of ITV- shows like Coronation St and Emmerdale would never have started on BBC. Now ITV are seen as a mediocre tenant if the landlord wants to break the lease. Sad demise of a once good channel Condor Man
  • Score: 0

5:29pm Thu 23 Dec 10

southy says...

i have not expanded the argument it was in the original discussion if you remember i said it was some thing like how betting shops work but has basic, you put a bet down you have a choice when to pay tax. you can pay tax at the time of the bet at a lower rate, or you can pay tax after from the winnings at a higher rate, and the only real difference there,s a third way it can be tax and that is tax at source remember now. and isa is what i got and you do pay tax, tax is deducted at source or at the point where you put money in, depending on what option you take, at a much lower rate than what you would pay normally on the interest. and is why they are called tax free saving accounts is because you do not pay tax on the interested, because it was all ready deducted.
you can not get away with not paying tax in the UK, unless your committing tax fraud.
and that,s your problem you don't like what i stand for a socialist liberalist, you want to keep in place where the poor pays for the rich, your normal brainwash capitalist sheep.
i have not expanded the argument it was in the original discussion if you remember i said it was some thing like how betting shops work but has basic, you put a bet down you have a choice when to pay tax. you can pay tax at the time of the bet at a lower rate, or you can pay tax after from the winnings at a higher rate, and the only real difference there,s a third way it can be tax and that is tax at source remember now. and isa is what i got and you do pay tax, tax is deducted at source or at the point where you put money in, depending on what option you take, at a much lower rate than what you would pay normally on the interest. and is why they are called tax free saving accounts is because you do not pay tax on the interested, because it was all ready deducted. you can not get away with not paying tax in the UK, unless your committing tax fraud. and that,s your problem you don't like what i stand for a socialist liberalist, you want to keep in place where the poor pays for the rich, your normal brainwash capitalist sheep. southy
  • Score: 0

5:41pm Thu 23 Dec 10

osaronikos says...

I don't give a toss where they move to as long as Fred does not reappear on the screen. He does my head in, him and his counterpart Sally of BBC South!!
I don't give a toss where they move to as long as Fred does not reappear on the screen. He does my head in, him and his counterpart Sally of BBC South!! osaronikos
  • Score: 0

5:53pm Thu 23 Dec 10

soton1980 says...

bigronthestaff wrote:
It really doesn't matter where Meridian move to. Their 'local' news is appalling and hideously presented. Like the old addage goes; You can't polish a tLIrd.
I couldn't agree more! Meridian is absolutely terrible. I couldn't be less interested in news stories from Kent or Oxfordshire, as neither are local. Also, that image of a bridge simply serves to alienate viewers from the south. Absolute garbage.
[quote][p][bold]bigronthestaff[/bold] wrote: It really doesn't matter where Meridian move to. Their 'local' news is appalling and hideously presented. Like the old addage goes; You can't polish a tLIrd.[/p][/quote]I couldn't agree more! Meridian is absolutely terrible. I couldn't be less interested in news stories from Kent or Oxfordshire, as neither are local. Also, that image of a bridge simply serves to alienate viewers from the south. Absolute garbage. soton1980
  • Score: 0

6:06pm Thu 23 Dec 10

southy says...

soton1980 wrote:
bigronthestaff wrote:
It really doesn't matter where Meridian move to. Their 'local' news is appalling and hideously presented. Like the old addage goes; You can't polish a tLIrd.
I couldn't agree more! Meridian is absolutely terrible. I couldn't be less interested in news stories from Kent or Oxfordshire, as neither are local. Also, that image of a bridge simply serves to alienate viewers from the south. Absolute garbage.
bring back trever the weather.
[quote][p][bold]soton1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigronthestaff[/bold] wrote: It really doesn't matter where Meridian move to. Their 'local' news is appalling and hideously presented. Like the old addage goes; You can't polish a tLIrd.[/p][/quote]I couldn't agree more! Meridian is absolutely terrible. I couldn't be less interested in news stories from Kent or Oxfordshire, as neither are local. Also, that image of a bridge simply serves to alienate viewers from the south. Absolute garbage.[/p][/quote]bring back trever the weather. southy
  • Score: 0

6:37pm Thu 23 Dec 10

SpittingFire says...

lowe esteem wrote:
In the spirit of previous contributions, I should like to remind readers that Mr Stonenage(sic) Combover has been allowed more publicity for his beloved team in the ECHO Weekend supplement than at any time on Day by Day etc. This used to get a lot of us true Saints quite worked up, but nowadays, it's less frequent, and for all that, a lot funnier. You brought it on yourself Fred!
Why are all Pompey's celebrity fans pantomime characters?
LOL! Mr Stoneage is right. This man is past retirement age, how long is he planning to hold onto this gig for?
.
I'm sure that Debbie Thrower is not anywhere near his age when she got the boot, and she got the kick for being too old. Infact by my calculations the man was odds on 65 when the cull happened - retirement age.
.
Such a shame cllr Roy did not sweeten the deal enough for Meridian to return to Soton. Sorry to hear that your special parking privileges didn't clinch the deal Roy! Could have been good for the both of you if you had added a few more cherries on-top!
.
Since Meridian's shake-up and the expansion of their region coverage, their news programme has got more obscure. And not just from resulting in covering a wider area but the quality of their programme is lacking vitality too. News coverage isn't great and I dislike the small talk. A filler, that something else more newsworthy could have squeezed into the time, a longer report, etc. but rather instead they chose to pad out the programme with some nonsensical banter.
.
And I can't forget the time, I think it was Christmas actually, when the presenters gave each other presents that made a connection to the other presenter. Meant to be a secret Santa thing. Fred gave Sangeeta a present live on air, which was obviously meant for Simon Parkin: it was a bottle of sun tan lotion. She didn't know what to make of it. And neither did I. She'd do so much better as the face of meridian without being paired-off with Dinenage. (btw Echo you've missed a letter off from her name in the picture caption!).

And I don't like the way Dinenage seems to patronise the weather presenters. Simon "Perky" Parkin, and Martyn "The Housewives Choice" Davis. He's toned it down a bit recently, he's got told-off I suppose! Not a good move to belittle your colleagues just because they are doing the weather, and you anchor in the news. No matter how friendly-like (or smarmy) you try to put it.
.
And always at some point in the programme we go onto someone who is suffering. Highlighting yet another individual or a child suffering with an affliction, it's getting all too macabre. Meridian's dying a death.
.
Time to step it up a gear Echo with your online TV coverage and stick the knife in!
.
[quote][p][bold]lowe esteem[/bold] wrote: In the spirit of previous contributions, I should like to remind readers that Mr Stonenage(sic) Combover has been allowed more publicity for his beloved team in the ECHO Weekend supplement than at any time on Day by Day etc. This used to get a lot of us true Saints quite worked up, but nowadays, it's less frequent, and for all that, a lot funnier. You brought it on yourself Fred! Why are all Pompey's celebrity fans pantomime characters?[/p][/quote]LOL! Mr Stoneage is right. This man is past retirement age, how long is he planning to hold onto this gig for? . I'm sure that Debbie Thrower is not anywhere near his age when she got the boot, and she got the kick for being too old. Infact by my calculations the man was odds on 65 when the cull happened - retirement age. . Such a shame cllr Roy did not sweeten the deal enough for Meridian to return to Soton. Sorry to hear that your special parking privileges didn't clinch the deal Roy! Could have been good for the both of you if you had added a few more cherries on-top! . Since Meridian's shake-up and the expansion of their region coverage, their news programme has got more obscure. And not just from resulting in covering a wider area but the quality of their programme is lacking vitality too. News coverage isn't great and I dislike the small talk. A filler, that something else more newsworthy could have squeezed into the time, a longer report, etc. but rather instead they chose to pad out the programme with some nonsensical banter. . And I can't forget the time, I think it was Christmas actually, when the presenters gave each other presents that made a connection to the other presenter. Meant to be a secret Santa thing. Fred gave Sangeeta a present live on air, which was obviously meant for Simon Parkin: it was a bottle of sun tan lotion. She didn't know what to make of it. And neither did I. She'd do so much better as the face of meridian without being paired-off with Dinenage. (btw Echo you've missed a letter off from her name in the picture caption!). And I don't like the way Dinenage seems to patronise the weather presenters. Simon "Perky" Parkin, and Martyn "The Housewives Choice" Davis. He's toned it down a bit recently, he's got told-off I suppose! Not a good move to belittle your colleagues just because they are doing the weather, and you anchor in the news. No matter how friendly-like (or smarmy) you try to put it. . And always at some point in the programme we go onto someone who is suffering. Highlighting yet another individual or a child suffering with an affliction, it's getting all too macabre. Meridian's dying a death. . Time to step it up a gear Echo with your online TV coverage and stick the knife in! . SpittingFire
  • Score: 0

6:39pm Thu 23 Dec 10

SpittingFire says...

southy wrote:
soton1980 wrote:
bigronthestaff wrote:
It really doesn't matter where Meridian move to. Their 'local' news is appalling and hideously presented. Like the old addage goes; You can't polish a tLIrd.
I couldn't agree more! Meridian is absolutely terrible. I couldn't be less interested in news stories from Kent or Oxfordshire, as neither are local. Also, that image of a bridge simply serves to alienate viewers from the south. Absolute garbage.
bring back trever the weather.
Wishing you a happy Christmas, or best wishes of the season, whichever you prefer Southy! :)
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]soton1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigronthestaff[/bold] wrote: It really doesn't matter where Meridian move to. Their 'local' news is appalling and hideously presented. Like the old addage goes; You can't polish a tLIrd.[/p][/quote]I couldn't agree more! Meridian is absolutely terrible. I couldn't be less interested in news stories from Kent or Oxfordshire, as neither are local. Also, that image of a bridge simply serves to alienate viewers from the south. Absolute garbage.[/p][/quote]bring back trever the weather.[/p][/quote]Wishing you a happy Christmas, or best wishes of the season, whichever you prefer Southy! :) SpittingFire
  • Score: 0

10:27pm Thu 23 Dec 10

southy says...

SpittingFire wrote:
southy wrote:
soton1980 wrote:
bigronthestaff wrote:
It really doesn't matter where Meridian move to. Their 'local' news is appalling and hideously presented. Like the old addage goes; You can't polish a tLIrd.
I couldn't agree more! Meridian is absolutely terrible. I couldn't be less interested in news stories from Kent or Oxfordshire, as neither are local. Also, that image of a bridge simply serves to alienate viewers from the south. Absolute garbage.
bring back trever the weather.
Wishing you a happy Christmas, or best wishes of the season, whichever you prefer Southy! :)
ditto SF

hey if you hear about a story about, a party, a rose, with peacock and dinenage and a few other plus a few from the bbc. well i say no more.
[quote][p][bold]SpittingFire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]soton1980[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigronthestaff[/bold] wrote: It really doesn't matter where Meridian move to. Their 'local' news is appalling and hideously presented. Like the old addage goes; You can't polish a tLIrd.[/p][/quote]I couldn't agree more! Meridian is absolutely terrible. I couldn't be less interested in news stories from Kent or Oxfordshire, as neither are local. Also, that image of a bridge simply serves to alienate viewers from the south. Absolute garbage.[/p][/quote]bring back trever the weather.[/p][/quote]Wishing you a happy Christmas, or best wishes of the season, whichever you prefer Southy! :)[/p][/quote]ditto SF hey if you hear about a story about, a party, a rose, with peacock and dinenage and a few other plus a few from the bbc. well i say no more. southy
  • Score: 0

12:11am Fri 24 Dec 10

Torchie1 says...

southy wrote:
i have not expanded the argument it was in the original discussion if you remember i said it was some thing like how betting shops work but has basic, you put a bet down you have a choice when to pay tax. you can pay tax at the time of the bet at a lower rate, or you can pay tax after from the winnings at a higher rate, and the only real difference there,s a third way it can be tax and that is tax at source remember now. and isa is what i got and you do pay tax, tax is deducted at source or at the point where you put money in, depending on what option you take, at a much lower rate than what you would pay normally on the interest. and is why they are called tax free saving accounts is because you do not pay tax on the interested, because it was all ready deducted.
you can not get away with not paying tax in the UK, unless your committing tax fraud.
and that,s your problem you don't like what i stand for a socialist liberalist, you want to keep in place where the poor pays for the rich, your normal brainwash capitalist sheep.
If I'm committing fraud then your duty as a citizen is to report my posts to the Police who will be able to arrest me and charge me under a European Arrest Warrant. I'm doing all of the things you believe are illegal so here's another chance to prove yourself right when it appears on the pages of the Echo..... or are you going to bottle that as well? The chance to see a right wing capitalist charged with defrauding the UK so that poor people lose out......... it's your duty as a socialist! Don't let me down. How are you going to wriggle out of this without looking even more silly?
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: i have not expanded the argument it was in the original discussion if you remember i said it was some thing like how betting shops work but has basic, you put a bet down you have a choice when to pay tax. you can pay tax at the time of the bet at a lower rate, or you can pay tax after from the winnings at a higher rate, and the only real difference there,s a third way it can be tax and that is tax at source remember now. and isa is what i got and you do pay tax, tax is deducted at source or at the point where you put money in, depending on what option you take, at a much lower rate than what you would pay normally on the interest. and is why they are called tax free saving accounts is because you do not pay tax on the interested, because it was all ready deducted. you can not get away with not paying tax in the UK, unless your committing tax fraud. and that,s your problem you don't like what i stand for a socialist liberalist, you want to keep in place where the poor pays for the rich, your normal brainwash capitalist sheep.[/p][/quote]If I'm committing fraud then your duty as a citizen is to report my posts to the Police who will be able to arrest me and charge me under a European Arrest Warrant. I'm doing all of the things you believe are illegal so here's another chance to prove yourself right when it appears on the pages of the Echo..... or are you going to bottle that as well? The chance to see a right wing capitalist charged with defrauding the UK so that poor people lose out......... it's your duty as a socialist! Don't let me down. How are you going to wriggle out of this without looking even more silly? Torchie1
  • Score: 0

12:24am Fri 24 Dec 10

foreverasaint says...

Kick them completely out off whitleley, we don't want that skate programme here.

BBC South Today is the programme to watch!
Kick them completely out off whitleley, we don't want that skate programme here. BBC South Today is the programme to watch! foreverasaint
  • Score: 0

7:43am Fri 24 Dec 10

mayfly says...

Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote: i have not expanded the argument it was in the original discussion if you remember i said it was some thing like how betting shops work but has basic, you put a bet down you have a choice when to pay tax. you can pay tax at the time of the bet at a lower rate, or you can pay tax after from the winnings at a higher rate, and the only real difference there,s a third way it can be tax and that is tax at source remember now. and isa is what i got and you do pay tax, tax is deducted at source or at the point where you put money in, depending on what option you take, at a much lower rate than what you would pay normally on the interest. and is why they are called tax free saving accounts is because you do not pay tax on the interested, because it was all ready deducted. you can not get away with not paying tax in the UK, unless your committing tax fraud. and that,s your problem you don't like what i stand for a socialist liberalist, you want to keep in place where the poor pays for the rich, your normal brainwash capitalist sheep.
If I'm committing fraud then your duty as a citizen is to report my posts to the Police who will be able to arrest me and charge me under a European Arrest Warrant. I'm doing all of the things you believe are illegal so here's another chance to prove yourself right when it appears on the pages of the Echo..... or are you going to bottle that as well? The chance to see a right wing capitalist charged with defrauding the UK so that poor people lose out......... it's your duty as a socialist! Don't let me down. How are you going to wriggle out of this without looking even more silly?
I can't quite work out whether Torchie and Southy are both well-read individuals who see issues differently or repeaters of the thoughts of others with their own slant applied. Either way it's been entertaining and in part educational for the likes of me.
And never mind the original point of discussion lads - I'm sure Mr Dineage doesn't really care one way or the other.
You can't both be right though can you?
Maybe some of Torchie's argument and some of Southy's argument needs to be investigated further before arrangements are made to meet on the pavement outside Lloyd's Bank in Bitterne for a show-down.
Now that would be worth televising. Dineage himself couldn't resist turning up for that piece of local news.
Wish each other a peaceful Christmas and concentrate on things that actually matter.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: i have not expanded the argument it was in the original discussion if you remember i said it was some thing like how betting shops work but has basic, you put a bet down you have a choice when to pay tax. you can pay tax at the time of the bet at a lower rate, or you can pay tax after from the winnings at a higher rate, and the only real difference there,s a third way it can be tax and that is tax at source remember now. and isa is what i got and you do pay tax, tax is deducted at source or at the point where you put money in, depending on what option you take, at a much lower rate than what you would pay normally on the interest. and is why they are called tax free saving accounts is because you do not pay tax on the interested, because it was all ready deducted. you can not get away with not paying tax in the UK, unless your committing tax fraud. and that,s your problem you don't like what i stand for a socialist liberalist, you want to keep in place where the poor pays for the rich, your normal brainwash capitalist sheep.[/p][/quote]If I'm committing fraud then your duty as a citizen is to report my posts to the Police who will be able to arrest me and charge me under a European Arrest Warrant. I'm doing all of the things you believe are illegal so here's another chance to prove yourself right when it appears on the pages of the Echo..... or are you going to bottle that as well? The chance to see a right wing capitalist charged with defrauding the UK so that poor people lose out......... it's your duty as a socialist! Don't let me down. How are you going to wriggle out of this without looking even more silly?[/p][/quote]I can't quite work out whether Torchie and Southy are both well-read individuals who see issues differently or repeaters of the thoughts of others with their own slant applied. Either way it's been entertaining and in part educational for the likes of me. And never mind the original point of discussion lads - I'm sure Mr Dineage doesn't really care one way or the other. You can't both be right though can you? Maybe some of Torchie's argument and some of Southy's argument needs to be investigated further before arrangements are made to meet on the pavement outside Lloyd's Bank in Bitterne for a show-down. Now that would be worth televising. Dineage himself couldn't resist turning up for that piece of local news. Wish each other a peaceful Christmas and concentrate on things that actually matter. mayfly
  • Score: 0

8:27am Fri 24 Dec 10

Mental Micky says...

Southy is not well read - look at his posts about the history of SOuthern TV franchising - it is all made up , or silly gossip or just a made joining of the dots where there is no information. It is obvious to anyone that you can't take the franchise away from a broadcaster and give the new outfit just a couple of months to set up studio infrastructure, employ staff from scratch and make programmes. Only a complete fool could dedcuce that. Andy is right - these things take a long long time to perform and the process started long before MAggie came to power. Anyone who thinks she had the time to worry about some petty little spat with an outfit like DC Thompson when you have a country to run is mad. blind, stupid or all three. Stop patronising him - he believes it.
Southy is not well read - look at his posts about the history of SOuthern TV franchising - it is all made up , or silly gossip or just a made joining of the dots where there is no information. It is obvious to anyone that you can't take the franchise away from a broadcaster and give the new outfit just a couple of months to set up studio infrastructure, employ staff from scratch and make programmes. Only a complete fool could dedcuce that. Andy is right - these things take a long long time to perform and the process started long before MAggie came to power. Anyone who thinks she had the time to worry about some petty little spat with an outfit like DC Thompson when you have a country to run is mad. blind, stupid or all three. Stop patronising him - he believes it. Mental Micky
  • Score: 0

9:23am Fri 24 Dec 10

BP says...

Such ill informed people without facts making assumptions.
Such ill informed people without facts making assumptions. BP
  • Score: 0

1:07pm Fri 24 Dec 10

southy says...

mayfly wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
southy wrote: i have not expanded the argument it was in the original discussion if you remember i said it was some thing like how betting shops work but has basic, you put a bet down you have a choice when to pay tax. you can pay tax at the time of the bet at a lower rate, or you can pay tax after from the winnings at a higher rate, and the only real difference there,s a third way it can be tax and that is tax at source remember now. and isa is what i got and you do pay tax, tax is deducted at source or at the point where you put money in, depending on what option you take, at a much lower rate than what you would pay normally on the interest. and is why they are called tax free saving accounts is because you do not pay tax on the interested, because it was all ready deducted. you can not get away with not paying tax in the UK, unless your committing tax fraud. and that,s your problem you don't like what i stand for a socialist liberalist, you want to keep in place where the poor pays for the rich, your normal brainwash capitalist sheep.
If I'm committing fraud then your duty as a citizen is to report my posts to the Police who will be able to arrest me and charge me under a European Arrest Warrant. I'm doing all of the things you believe are illegal so here's another chance to prove yourself right when it appears on the pages of the Echo..... or are you going to bottle that as well? The chance to see a right wing capitalist charged with defrauding the UK so that poor people lose out......... it's your duty as a socialist! Don't let me down. How are you going to wriggle out of this without looking even more silly?
I can't quite work out whether Torchie and Southy are both well-read individuals who see issues differently or repeaters of the thoughts of others with their own slant applied. Either way it's been entertaining and in part educational for the likes of me.
And never mind the original point of discussion lads - I'm sure Mr Dineage doesn't really care one way or the other.
You can't both be right though can you?
Maybe some of Torchie's argument and some of Southy's argument needs to be investigated further before arrangements are made to meet on the pavement outside Lloyd's Bank in Bitterne for a show-down.
Now that would be worth televising. Dineage himself couldn't resist turning up for that piece of local news.
Wish each other a peaceful Christmas and concentrate on things that actually matter.
mayfly i was just pointing out to him, no system is tax free in the UK, and it don,t matter what policy contract you sign for investments it gets tax, and when they say its tax free, all they mean is when the money is pass back to you, that not tax, but it will get tax at another point, the lowest tax is paid when you get tax when you put money in, and at different points with in the policy contract where you do end up paying tax will decide on how much tax you pay. the later in the contact the more you pay. in the middle part the tax is hidden, because say the bank is dealing with your investment they get tax, then they pass on the tax loses to the customer.
there no such thing in the UK has a tax free ride, and this guy can't not see it, i told him who to see and where and he will explain where it will get tax. no bank or finance firm will soak up tax that has to be paid on a investment policy, they will all way pass it on to the customer.
[quote][p][bold]mayfly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: i have not expanded the argument it was in the original discussion if you remember i said it was some thing like how betting shops work but has basic, you put a bet down you have a choice when to pay tax. you can pay tax at the time of the bet at a lower rate, or you can pay tax after from the winnings at a higher rate, and the only real difference there,s a third way it can be tax and that is tax at source remember now. and isa is what i got and you do pay tax, tax is deducted at source or at the point where you put money in, depending on what option you take, at a much lower rate than what you would pay normally on the interest. and is why they are called tax free saving accounts is because you do not pay tax on the interested, because it was all ready deducted. you can not get away with not paying tax in the UK, unless your committing tax fraud. and that,s your problem you don't like what i stand for a socialist liberalist, you want to keep in place where the poor pays for the rich, your normal brainwash capitalist sheep.[/p][/quote]If I'm committing fraud then your duty as a citizen is to report my posts to the Police who will be able to arrest me and charge me under a European Arrest Warrant. I'm doing all of the things you believe are illegal so here's another chance to prove yourself right when it appears on the pages of the Echo..... or are you going to bottle that as well? The chance to see a right wing capitalist charged with defrauding the UK so that poor people lose out......... it's your duty as a socialist! Don't let me down. How are you going to wriggle out of this without looking even more silly?[/p][/quote]I can't quite work out whether Torchie and Southy are both well-read individuals who see issues differently or repeaters of the thoughts of others with their own slant applied. Either way it's been entertaining and in part educational for the likes of me. And never mind the original point of discussion lads - I'm sure Mr Dineage doesn't really care one way or the other. You can't both be right though can you? Maybe some of Torchie's argument and some of Southy's argument needs to be investigated further before arrangements are made to meet on the pavement outside Lloyd's Bank in Bitterne for a show-down. Now that would be worth televising. Dineage himself couldn't resist turning up for that piece of local news. Wish each other a peaceful Christmas and concentrate on things that actually matter.[/p][/quote]mayfly i was just pointing out to him, no system is tax free in the UK, and it don,t matter what policy contract you sign for investments it gets tax, and when they say its tax free, all they mean is when the money is pass back to you, that not tax, but it will get tax at another point, the lowest tax is paid when you get tax when you put money in, and at different points with in the policy contract where you do end up paying tax will decide on how much tax you pay. the later in the contact the more you pay. in the middle part the tax is hidden, because say the bank is dealing with your investment they get tax, then they pass on the tax loses to the customer. there no such thing in the UK has a tax free ride, and this guy can't not see it, i told him who to see and where and he will explain where it will get tax. no bank or finance firm will soak up tax that has to be paid on a investment policy, they will all way pass it on to the customer. southy
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Fri 24 Dec 10

southy says...

Mental Micky wrote:
Southy is not well read - look at his posts about the history of SOuthern TV franchising - it is all made up , or silly gossip or just a made joining of the dots where there is no information. It is obvious to anyone that you can't take the franchise away from a broadcaster and give the new outfit just a couple of months to set up studio infrastructure, employ staff from scratch and make programmes. Only a complete fool could dedcuce that. Andy is right - these things take a long long time to perform and the process started long before MAggie came to power. Anyone who thinks she had the time to worry about some petty little spat with an outfit like DC Thompson when you have a country to run is mad. blind, stupid or all three. Stop patronising him - he believes it.
it had nothing to do with callaghan labour government.
and if you done a basic research like i did this morning. i was spot on apart from the mth. it was october 1980 that the government had the review iba franchise.
and they had 1 year and 2 and bit mths the swap over, from southern to tvs, there was studios at dover with tvs later to be moved to maidstone. meridian never started broadcasting till 1st january 1993.

so before you start to run any one down, at lest do a basic research. by the way the d c thomson family are all tory party members.
[quote][p][bold]Mental Micky[/bold] wrote: Southy is not well read - look at his posts about the history of SOuthern TV franchising - it is all made up , or silly gossip or just a made joining of the dots where there is no information. It is obvious to anyone that you can't take the franchise away from a broadcaster and give the new outfit just a couple of months to set up studio infrastructure, employ staff from scratch and make programmes. Only a complete fool could dedcuce that. Andy is right - these things take a long long time to perform and the process started long before MAggie came to power. Anyone who thinks she had the time to worry about some petty little spat with an outfit like DC Thompson when you have a country to run is mad. blind, stupid or all three. Stop patronising him - he believes it.[/p][/quote]it had nothing to do with callaghan labour government. and if you done a basic research like i did this morning. i was spot on apart from the mth. it was october 1980 that the government had the review iba franchise. and they had 1 year and 2 and bit mths the swap over, from southern to tvs, there was studios at dover with tvs later to be moved to maidstone. meridian never started broadcasting till 1st january 1993. so before you start to run any one down, at lest do a basic research. by the way the d c thomson family are all tory party members. southy
  • Score: 0

9:21pm Fri 24 Dec 10

WoolstonSean says...

Why does Southy always hyjack every topic on here with his stupid, idiotic, socialist, self opinionated views?

Can we all get together and pay for a single ticket for him to go to Cuba where I think he will fit in just nicely!

He annoys me so much as I am sure he does with others on here that I just want a fist fight with him, so if he agrees to that meet outside Lloyds Bank in Bitterne can I come along!
Why does Southy always hyjack every topic on here with his stupid, idiotic, socialist, self opinionated views? Can we all get together and pay for a single ticket for him to go to Cuba where I think he will fit in just nicely! He annoys me so much as I am sure he does with others on here that I just want a fist fight with him, so if he agrees to that meet outside Lloyds Bank in Bitterne can I come along! WoolstonSean
  • Score: 0

10:04pm Fri 24 Dec 10

southy says...

WoolstonSean wrote:
Why does Southy always hyjack every topic on here with his stupid, idiotic, socialist, self opinionated views?

Can we all get together and pay for a single ticket for him to go to Cuba where I think he will fit in just nicely!

He annoys me so much as I am sure he does with others on here that I just want a fist fight with him, so if he agrees to that meet outside Lloyds Bank in Bitterne can I come along!
awwww woolston sean spiting his dumpy out, and i have not high jack any thing, i am here for what this site is for to debate, weather if you or any one else agree,s or disagree with my point of view or others, if you can't handle a debates then you don't belong on such sites or at lest don't read the comments and don't make any.
and being a socialist shows that you care more about other,s than one self.
being a capitalist means you put your self first and sod the rest.
how about if you move to the usa, i sure you fit in there well.
is that your answer to have a fight with some one who don't agree with your one sided point of view, so you beat it into them till they do. to much like a fascist capitalist sort of thing.
[quote][p][bold]WoolstonSean[/bold] wrote: Why does Southy always hyjack every topic on here with his stupid, idiotic, socialist, self opinionated views? Can we all get together and pay for a single ticket for him to go to Cuba where I think he will fit in just nicely! He annoys me so much as I am sure he does with others on here that I just want a fist fight with him, so if he agrees to that meet outside Lloyds Bank in Bitterne can I come along![/p][/quote]awwww woolston sean spiting his dumpy out, and i have not high jack any thing, i am here for what this site is for to debate, weather if you or any one else agree,s or disagree with my point of view or others, if you can't handle a debates then you don't belong on such sites or at lest don't read the comments and don't make any. and being a socialist shows that you care more about other,s than one self. being a capitalist means you put your self first and sod the rest. how about if you move to the usa, i sure you fit in there well. is that your answer to have a fight with some one who don't agree with your one sided point of view, so you beat it into them till they do. to much like a fascist capitalist sort of thing. southy
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree