When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Southampton’s Remploy factory axed by Government
12:20pm Wednesday 11th July 2012 in Southampton
A Southampton factory that employs disabled people is to close, ministers have confirmed.
Remploy’s Southampton branch, in West Quay Road, is one of 27 across the country to be axed, and will close between August and mid-December.
Ministers had asked individual factories to come up with business plans to ensure their survival without a public subsidy.
But Southampton was one of those with “no agreed business plan”, the Government said.
MP Maria Miller, the minister for disabled people, told MPs the £320 million budget for disabled employment services could be spent more effectively.
Local unions have previously labelled moves to close Southampton’s factory “a disaster”.
Ms Miller also announced a further consultation on the future of nine other Remploy factories which have been the subject of bids.
Workers at all of Remploy’s factories are due to stage two 24-hour strikes in protest at an announcement by the Government earlier this year of closures.
The GMB union said the strikes would go ahead despite today's announcement.
Comments are closed on this article.