20 jobs lost as building firm Star Mechanical and Engineering Ltd goes under

Daily Echo: More jobs are lost as company goes under More jobs are lost as company goes under

MORE than 20 jobs have gone after a long-standing Hampshire building contractor plunged in to administration.

Star Mechanical and Engineering Limited, which had been operating in Chandler’s Ford since 1999, has ceased operating amid tough trading conditions.

All 21 staff at the Fryern House headquarters on Winchester Road have been made redundant.

They were a mixture of tradespeople and backroom workers.

Julie palmer, from administrators Begbies Traynor, said the firm had been involved in the prestigious redevelopment of 18th century Roehampton House in London.

But she added that they started to suffer financially during the process and did not have the cashflow to “ride it out”.

The company was also working on a number of other property developments in the capital and had been attempting to complete work on some of their contracts in the run-up to their administration.

Mrs Palmer added that it was unlikely a buyer would now come to the rescue of the 13-year-old business.

“It is a long-standing company and it is always a shame when jobs are lost in a community like this,” she told the Daily Echo.

“Historically, they have been a good, solid, well-run and professional firm and had been dealing with a large project at Roehampton House involving flats and apartments.

“Some final completion works were carried out on a small number of contracts in the run-up to the administration order, but the employees have now been made redundant.

“The construction sector is particularly tough at the moment for sub-contractors and trading has been difficult for some time.”

It is the latest jobs blow to hit the Eastleigh area.

It comes just weeks after B&Q announced that 220 jobs would be going as part of a “restructuring” at the Chandler’s Ford-based firm.

Ford has also announced plans to close its Swaythling plant next July, putting more than 500 jobs at risk.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:11pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Linesman says...

Awaiting your comment Shoong.
Awaiting your comment Shoong. Linesman
  • Score: 0

12:56am Fri 14 Dec 12

IronLady2010 says...

13 years of Labour and it's still hurting us. It will take another few years to sort out this mess!
13 years of Labour and it's still hurting us. It will take another few years to sort out this mess! IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

9:23am Fri 14 Dec 12

The Wickham Man says...

But don;t worry folks. Southampton City Council are fighting hard to keep industry and construction jobs away from the city by fighting against the new power plant all the way because they believe Britain alone can cause and solve Global Warming.
But don;t worry folks. Southampton City Council are fighting hard to keep industry and construction jobs away from the city by fighting against the new power plant all the way because they believe Britain alone can cause and solve Global Warming. The Wickham Man
  • Score: 0

12:26pm Fri 14 Dec 12

Shoong says...

Linesman wrote:
Awaiting your comment Shoong.
You're getting a little too weird for me now. Am I keeping you awake at night? Have you pushed the Royston and Sea Museum obsessions aside just for me?

I was made redundant at the end of November. Got a new, better paid job within 2 weeks.

Yeah, I'm good.

'There's no jobs out there'. I keep hearing this, always from those with little self motivation or just wanting to rely on the state. Or from those who have lost all perspective. I'll let you decide what category you fall into.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: Awaiting your comment Shoong.[/p][/quote]You're getting a little too weird for me now. Am I keeping you awake at night? Have you pushed the Royston and Sea Museum obsessions aside just for me? I was made redundant at the end of November. Got a new, better paid job within 2 weeks. Yeah, I'm good. 'There's no jobs out there'. I keep hearing this, always from those with little self motivation or just wanting to rely on the state. Or from those who have lost all perspective. I'll let you decide what category you fall into. Shoong
  • Score: 0

12:46pm Fri 14 Dec 12

Linesman says...

Shoong wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Awaiting your comment Shoong.
You're getting a little too weird for me now. Am I keeping you awake at night? Have you pushed the Royston and Sea Museum obsessions aside just for me?

I was made redundant at the end of November. Got a new, better paid job within 2 weeks.

Yeah, I'm good.

'There's no jobs out there'. I keep hearing this, always from those with little self motivation or just wanting to rely on the state. Or from those who have lost all perspective. I'll let you decide what category you fall into.
Shoong. You accused me of commenting on jobs lost, but not praising when jobs have been created, but you have not indicated where these new jobs are.

Instead of letting us all know, you try to divert attention by raising the subject of Royston Smith, who was a very large contributory factor in the Tories losing control of Southampton City Council, and the Sea Museum, which is proving to be a big white elephant that is costing the City's council tax payers dear.
[quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: Awaiting your comment Shoong.[/p][/quote]You're getting a little too weird for me now. Am I keeping you awake at night? Have you pushed the Royston and Sea Museum obsessions aside just for me? I was made redundant at the end of November. Got a new, better paid job within 2 weeks. Yeah, I'm good. 'There's no jobs out there'. I keep hearing this, always from those with little self motivation or just wanting to rely on the state. Or from those who have lost all perspective. I'll let you decide what category you fall into.[/p][/quote]Shoong. You accused me of commenting on jobs lost, but not praising when jobs have been created, but you have not indicated where these new jobs are. Instead of letting us all know, you try to divert attention by raising the subject of Royston Smith, who was a very large contributory factor in the Tories losing control of Southampton City Council, and the Sea Museum, which is proving to be a big white elephant that is costing the City's council tax payers dear. Linesman
  • Score: 0

5:14pm Fri 14 Dec 12

Linesman says...

Linesman wrote:
Shoong wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Awaiting your comment Shoong.
You're getting a little too weird for me now. Am I keeping you awake at night? Have you pushed the Royston and Sea Museum obsessions aside just for me?

I was made redundant at the end of November. Got a new, better paid job within 2 weeks.

Yeah, I'm good.

'There's no jobs out there'. I keep hearing this, always from those with little self motivation or just wanting to rely on the state. Or from those who have lost all perspective. I'll let you decide what category you fall into.
Shoong. You accused me of commenting on jobs lost, but not praising when jobs have been created, but you have not indicated where these new jobs are.

Instead of letting us all know, you try to divert attention by raising the subject of Royston Smith, who was a very large contributory factor in the Tories losing control of Southampton City Council, and the Sea Museum, which is proving to be a big white elephant that is costing the City's council tax payers dear.
PS. I know what category I am in, it is called 'Retired.' It came after a working life where, I am pleased to say, I was never out of work or received any benefits. I served in the Royal Navy, and on leaving, had three jobs before becoming an OAP.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shoong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: Awaiting your comment Shoong.[/p][/quote]You're getting a little too weird for me now. Am I keeping you awake at night? Have you pushed the Royston and Sea Museum obsessions aside just for me? I was made redundant at the end of November. Got a new, better paid job within 2 weeks. Yeah, I'm good. 'There's no jobs out there'. I keep hearing this, always from those with little self motivation or just wanting to rely on the state. Or from those who have lost all perspective. I'll let you decide what category you fall into.[/p][/quote]Shoong. You accused me of commenting on jobs lost, but not praising when jobs have been created, but you have not indicated where these new jobs are. Instead of letting us all know, you try to divert attention by raising the subject of Royston Smith, who was a very large contributory factor in the Tories losing control of Southampton City Council, and the Sea Museum, which is proving to be a big white elephant that is costing the City's council tax payers dear.[/p][/quote]PS. I know what category I am in, it is called 'Retired.' It came after a working life where, I am pleased to say, I was never out of work or received any benefits. I served in the Royal Navy, and on leaving, had three jobs before becoming an OAP. Linesman
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree