Fewer people claiming Job Seekers' Allowance in Hampshire

Fewer people are having to use the Job Centre

Fewer people are having to use the Job Centre

First published in Winchester Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter

The dole queue in Hampshire has shortened again, according to latest figures published this morning.

Almost 300 fewer people claimed Job Seekers' Allowance (JSA) across the county during September, compared to the previous month.

According to the Office for National Statistics, 26,178 people claimed the benefit in September, down from 26,460 in August.

More than a quarter of the claimants were under the age of 25.

In Southampton, almost 100 fewer people claimed Job Seekers' Allowance last month, with 5,347 joining the dole queues - the lowest figure in the city since January 2011.

More than a quarter of the claimants were under the age of 25, while 1,290 people across the city have now been out of work for more than a year - a figure that has now increased for 15 successive months.

The figures mean that two people are chasing every job centre vacancy across the county, with three people vying for every position in Southampton.

Meanwhile the number of people claiming Job Seekers Allowance across the country fell by 4,000 people in September, to 1.57m.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:43am Wed 17 Oct 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

And when the school year ends, that figure will probably rise again with people not going to college.
And when the school year ends, that figure will probably rise again with people not going to college. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

11:49am Wed 17 Oct 12

Over the Edge says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
And when the school year ends, that figure will probably rise again with people not going to college.
More likely not going to Uni from college either?

I wonder why?
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: And when the school year ends, that figure will probably rise again with people not going to college.[/p][/quote]More likely not going to Uni from college either? I wonder why? Over the Edge
  • Score: 0

12:03pm Wed 17 Oct 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

Over the Edge wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
And when the school year ends, that figure will probably rise again with people not going to college.
More likely not going to Uni from college either?

I wonder why?
Too expensive, a lot of uni students who have left in the last 5 years still haven't paid off their student loans and the thought of being in so much debt because of going to uni is putting many people off.
[quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: And when the school year ends, that figure will probably rise again with people not going to college.[/p][/quote]More likely not going to Uni from college either? I wonder why?[/p][/quote]Too expensive, a lot of uni students who have left in the last 5 years still haven't paid off their student loans and the thought of being in so much debt because of going to uni is putting many people off. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

12:16pm Wed 17 Oct 12

bigal007 says...

or it could be that peopole are bing moved from one benifit to a other benfit that makes the numbers look low !!
or it could be that peopole are bing moved from one benifit to a other benfit that makes the numbers look low !! bigal007
  • Score: 0

1:05pm Wed 17 Oct 12

sarfhamton says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
And when the school year ends, that figure will probably rise again with people not going to college.
I think these are seasonally adjusted so i doubt it
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: And when the school year ends, that figure will probably rise again with people not going to college.[/p][/quote]I think these are seasonally adjusted so i doubt it sarfhamton
  • Score: 0

1:32pm Wed 17 Oct 12

southy says...

Places like Tesco's employ people at 10 hours a week so they don't put the NI pot, and IT pot, but these people have also need to collet Benefits to make up the short fall, and are not counted in on the unemployment figure.
A better figure to go by now is the number of people claiming benefit. it will give you a better idea what is going on.
Places like Tesco's employ people at 10 hours a week so they don't put the NI pot, and IT pot, but these people have also need to collet Benefits to make up the short fall, and are not counted in on the unemployment figure. A better figure to go by now is the number of people claiming benefit. it will give you a better idea what is going on. southy
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Wed 17 Oct 12

Ginger_cyclist says...

southy wrote:
Places like Tesco's employ people at 10 hours a week so they don't put the NI pot, and IT pot, but these people have also need to collet Benefits to make up the short fall, and are not counted in on the unemployment figure.
A better figure to go by now is the number of people claiming benefit. it will give you a better idea what is going on.
Indeed it will, I know a guy who works 8 to 10 hours as a cleaner on minimum wage and so he is on a joint claim with his partner who is looking for a job herself.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Places like Tesco's employ people at 10 hours a week so they don't put the NI pot, and IT pot, but these people have also need to collet Benefits to make up the short fall, and are not counted in on the unemployment figure. A better figure to go by now is the number of people claiming benefit. it will give you a better idea what is going on.[/p][/quote]Indeed it will, I know a guy who works 8 to 10 hours as a cleaner on minimum wage and so he is on a joint claim with his partner who is looking for a job herself. Ginger_cyclist
  • Score: 0

2:44pm Wed 17 Oct 12

Huffter says...

Ginger_cyclist wrote:
southy wrote: Places like Tesco's employ people at 10 hours a week so they don't put the NI pot, and IT pot, but these people have also need to collet Benefits to make up the short fall, and are not counted in on the unemployment figure. A better figure to go by now is the number of people claiming benefit. it will give you a better idea what is going on.
Indeed it will, I know a guy who works 8 to 10 hours as a cleaner on minimum wage and so he is on a joint claim with his partner who is looking for a job herself.
And 16 hours a week is now counted as "full time". Lose a worker on a 35 hour week and take on two working sixteen hours and Bingo - you've increased the number of people in full-time work by one while reducing the total number of hours worked by three!
Aren't statistics wonderful!
[quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Places like Tesco's employ people at 10 hours a week so they don't put the NI pot, and IT pot, but these people have also need to collet Benefits to make up the short fall, and are not counted in on the unemployment figure. A better figure to go by now is the number of people claiming benefit. it will give you a better idea what is going on.[/p][/quote]Indeed it will, I know a guy who works 8 to 10 hours as a cleaner on minimum wage and so he is on a joint claim with his partner who is looking for a job herself.[/p][/quote]And 16 hours a week is now counted as "full time". Lose a worker on a 35 hour week and take on two working sixteen hours and Bingo - you've increased the number of people in full-time work by one while reducing the total number of hours worked by three! Aren't statistics wonderful! Huffter
  • Score: 0

3:21pm Wed 17 Oct 12

southy says...

Huffter wrote:
Ginger_cyclist wrote:
southy wrote: Places like Tesco's employ people at 10 hours a week so they don't put the NI pot, and IT pot, but these people have also need to collet Benefits to make up the short fall, and are not counted in on the unemployment figure. A better figure to go by now is the number of people claiming benefit. it will give you a better idea what is going on.
Indeed it will, I know a guy who works 8 to 10 hours as a cleaner on minimum wage and so he is on a joint claim with his partner who is looking for a job herself.
And 16 hours a week is now counted as "full time". Lose a worker on a 35 hour week and take on two working sixteen hours and Bingo - you've increased the number of people in full-time work by one while reducing the total number of hours worked by three!
Aren't statistics wonderful!
And at 16 hours aweek puts 2 on the claiming benefits.
[quote][p][bold]Huffter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ginger_cyclist[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: Places like Tesco's employ people at 10 hours a week so they don't put the NI pot, and IT pot, but these people have also need to collet Benefits to make up the short fall, and are not counted in on the unemployment figure. A better figure to go by now is the number of people claiming benefit. it will give you a better idea what is going on.[/p][/quote]Indeed it will, I know a guy who works 8 to 10 hours as a cleaner on minimum wage and so he is on a joint claim with his partner who is looking for a job herself.[/p][/quote]And 16 hours a week is now counted as "full time". Lose a worker on a 35 hour week and take on two working sixteen hours and Bingo - you've increased the number of people in full-time work by one while reducing the total number of hours worked by three! Aren't statistics wonderful![/p][/quote]And at 16 hours aweek puts 2 on the claiming benefits. southy
  • Score: 0

8:21pm Wed 17 Oct 12

The Music Man says...

bigal007 wrote:
or it could be that peopole are bing moved from one benifit to a other benfit that makes the numbers look low !!
bang on.
[quote][p][bold]bigal007[/bold] wrote: or it could be that peopole are bing moved from one benifit to a other benfit that makes the numbers look low !![/p][/quote]bang on. The Music Man
  • Score: 0

8:35pm Wed 17 Oct 12

Dragonqueen says...

Or could it be they make it so hard to claim if your partner is self employed even though there is no work and I have just been laid off to make a claim, If you don't know the system, as never had to claim before in all my working life, now going for interview to be told to much experience what is going on
Or could it be they make it so hard to claim if your partner is self employed even though there is no work and I have just been laid off to make a claim, If you don't know the system, as never had to claim before in all my working life, now going for interview to be told to much experience what is going on Dragonqueen
  • Score: 0

9:38pm Wed 17 Oct 12

Over the Edge says...

If everyone it's difficult now wait until the new welfare reform act really hits in
If everyone it's difficult now wait until the new welfare reform act really hits in Over the Edge
  • Score: 0

10:22pm Wed 17 Oct 12

George4th says...

What a load of negative people we have in Southampton!
There are more people employed in the UK than ever before!
We have/are going through the worst financial crisis this country has ever seen and yet we are proving that we can dig our way out and offer hope for a future for our children, with no thanks to the last totally useless Labour government!
What a load of negative people we have in Southampton! There are more people employed in the UK than ever before! We have/are going through the worst financial crisis this country has ever seen and yet we are proving that we can dig our way out and offer hope for a future for our children, with no thanks to the last totally useless Labour government! George4th
  • Score: 0

6:38am Thu 18 Oct 12

Lionel P says...

The Music Man wrote:
bigal007 wrote:
or it could be that peopole are bing moved from one benifit to a other benfit that makes the numbers look low !!
bang on.
Or perhaps a lot of benefit cheats have stopped claiming now that they see far more of their number going to prison.
[quote][p][bold]The Music Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigal007[/bold] wrote: or it could be that peopole are bing moved from one benifit to a other benfit that makes the numbers look low !![/p][/quote]bang on.[/p][/quote]Or perhaps a lot of benefit cheats have stopped claiming now that they see far more of their number going to prison. Lionel P
  • Score: 0

10:04am Thu 18 Oct 12

southy says...

George4th wrote:
What a load of negative people we have in Southampton!
There are more people employed in the UK than ever before!
We have/are going through the worst financial crisis this country has ever seen and yet we are proving that we can dig our way out and offer hope for a future for our children, with no thanks to the last totally useless Labour government!
Being Negative is being a Realist.
[quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: What a load of negative people we have in Southampton! There are more people employed in the UK than ever before! We have/are going through the worst financial crisis this country has ever seen and yet we are proving that we can dig our way out and offer hope for a future for our children, with no thanks to the last totally useless Labour government![/p][/quote]Being Negative is being a Realist. southy
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree