Report this comment
  • "• I understand “Glen Lee” is a dementia home
    That would account for the smells, especially if the inspection was early hours and people were getting up. Don’t most people use the toilet before or after breakfast.
    And does it not smell in a hospital if someone has had to use the toilet.
    • Could a resident have smeared the toilet seat and cleaners just not got to that particular one yet.
    • Yes they made a mistake leaving medication in a bedroom. I hope they learnt by this. If it was something they continually done then I agree it is bad.
    • The inspector needs to visit more than once and see how things run on a good day.
    • The pad in the bathroom “ it is a dementia home” couldn’t a resident have left this.
    • People do not have eyes in the back of their heads. I am sure this would have been cleaned up straight away if it was mentioned to a member of staff.
    • Not many positives were mentioned. I think the positives should also have been documented. May have outweighed the negatives.
    • Looks like they were caught out on a bad day and the inspector just added more pressure to them.
    • The council need to give these people more staff to work with and speak to more relatives.
    • It is ok people running the home down. Maybe they need to go and do their jobs then they will see what it is like to work with dementia and being under staff some days.
    I think anyone who works with Dementia needs a medal .... not many people can do this line of work. And as someone said ask the relatives who visit the home frequently what they think.
    How often do the Echo put in the paper the good things that happen within a home. Never !!!! I only ever read about homes not meeting CQC standards. I am sure these staffs did not intend to put anyone at risk and I hope they continue with their good work."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.

  • Enter the above word in the box below

Glen Lee Care home residents in Southampton 'at risk of harm' says CQC report

Glen Lee care home in Southampton

Glen Lee care home in Southampton

First published in Health
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Eastleigh Chief Reporter

TOILET seats were found smeared with faeces while vulnerable residents were put “at risk of harm” at a Southampton care home, a report has revealed.

Medicines intended for one individual were found in the wrong person’s bedroom during an unannounced inspection at Glen Lee in Bitterne.

A soiled incontinence pad was found discarded in a communal bath while toilets and a bathroom had an “offensive odour”.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) immediately ordered provider Southampton City Council to make improvements after warning the authority it was “failing to protect the safety and welfare of people”.

Council bosses say demands have now been met.

The shot across the bows came after an inspection at the Wavell Road facility in November – a follow-up inspection a month later found that the warning to improve had been acted on.

During their first visit, inspectors found that although medicines were being prescribed, they were not given to people appropriately.

They discovered that staff had left a pot containing the morning medications labeled for one person in another room and within the reach of a vulnerable resident with cognitive problems.

Brown residue was found in one of the bedrooms and managers said one of the domestic staff was serving breakfast and was not able to clean the home.

The inspector’s report said this meant that people were “exposed to infection control risks”.

The home, which has a capacity of 34 residents, was checked again at lunchtime and the areas had been cleaned.

It met the required standard in five out of the eight categories under which it was inspected.

There were also a number of positive findings including the provision of food while staff received praise from a number of the residents.

But the facility fell short in staffing levels, management of medicine and the care and welfare of people who use the service.

A warning notice found that Southampton City Council was in breach of regulation 13 of the Health and Social Care Act 2008.

Ian Biggs, Deputy Director of CQC in the South, said: “We check the national standards of quality and safety in care that the law says everyone should be able to expect.

“These standards exist to protect people who cannot always speak up for themselves from being put at risk of harm. Providers have a duty to be compliant.

“Inadequate medicines management puts people at serious and sometimes immediate risk of harm. The issues identified here required immediate attention.

“Our inspectors were pleased to find when they returned that improvements had been made. We will continue to monitor the home closely to ensure that those improvements are sustained.”

Southampton City Council’s cabinet member for Adult Services, Matt Stevens, said the authority was now happy that the inspection demands had been met.

He added that the council was concentrating on making sure standards were high at all its homes.

Read the full report below:

More health stories

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree