When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Campers issued with killer barbecue fumes alert
8:07am Wednesday 16th May 2012 in Health
A CAMPAIGN has been launched in the New Forest to prevent campers being killed by carbon monoxide fumes from their barbecues.
It follows the separate deaths of two children thought to have been killed by carbon monoxide fumes that entered their tents as they slept.
The first tragedy happened at a campsite near Bransgore on Good Friday.
Six-year-old Isabelle Harris is thought to have been overcome by fumes from a foldaway barbecue placed just outside the tent.
Police believe it may have been left near the entrance to provide warmth on a cold night.
Earlier this month Hannah Thomas-Jones, pictured, 14, of Wilmslow, Cheshire, died in a similar incident at a site in Bucknell, Shropshire.
Now the Safer New Forest Partnership, which comprises the district council and other organisations, has issued a safety message to campers.
Posters warning of the dangers are being distributed to campsites and village halls across the Forest.
Comments are closed on this article.