When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Naked Rambler Stephen Gough supports Liberal Democrats in Eastleigh by-election
10:34am Thursday 14th February 2013 in Politics
EASTLEIGH'S famous naked rambler has pinned his colours to the mast ahead of the town's fiercely contested by-election.
Stephen Gough has been freed after going to prison for public nudity and is now back home in his constituency.
Now he has revealed his political allegiance - by coming out as a Liberal Democrat.
Eastleigh Borough councillor Mike Thornton will contest the seat for the Lib Dems which has become vacant after disgraced former MP Chris Huhne dramatically pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice.
But Mr Gough, 53, has admitted he "probably won't vote" when the election takes place on February 28.
Last week Mr Gough walked free from court after charges of outraging public decency against him were dropped.
He was walking naked from the Scottish border to his mother’s home in when he was arrested in Carterton, West Oxfordshire, on December 4, last year.
The 53-year-old, of Eastleigh, Hampshire, spent Christmas in custody while his defence team contested charges of outraging public decency which were dropped last week.
More stories from the Eastleigh by-election
- Liberal Democrat Mike Thornton is new Eastleigh MP
- Clegg hails Lib Dem win in Eastleigh
- New Eastleigh MP's pledge to voters
- I'm overwhelmed by victory, says MPs wife
- Full list of Eastleigh by-election results
- Defeated Tory candidate made a swift exit
- Mike's night but UKIP almost took centre stage
- Lib Dem Mike Thornton is Eastleigh's new MP
Comments are closed on this article.