Sheltered home residents vow to fight eviction notices

Hazel Rayner is one of the residents facing eviction.

Hazel Rayner is one of the residents facing eviction.

First published in Politics Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Politics and business reporter

A GROUP of defiant pensioners will today tell council bosses they will not be moved after they received letters threatening them with eviction from their homes.

Residents of The Graylings sheltered housing scheme in Southampton have been invited to a meeting today about plans to “reallocate”

them to new homes so their eight ground-floor flats can be “remodelled” for elderly people suffering from dementia.

The seven affected residents, aged 63 to 97, who have various medical conditions, have enlisted the help of solicitor Yvonne Hossack, who fought the council over its closure of the Whitehaven Lodge and Birch Lawn care homes.

She warned the stress of moving could cut life expectancy for residents.

Southampton City Council wants to move them as part of a £1.5m refurbishment of the 45 flat scheme in Regents Park Road, Shirley. They will be offered financial compensation running into thousands of pounds.

Jane Hersee, 63, who has lived in the block for six years, said: “It’s already causing stress and strain on their medical conditions. It’s disgraceful. We are not moving.”

Hazel Rayner, 97, a former sales assistant who moved to The Graylings four years ago, said: “I expected to live here for the rest of my life. It’s disgusting that people should be taken out of their homes.

We don’t want to move.”

Joan Vick, 83, who has lived in her flat for nearly 12 years, added: “It was a bombshell.

A total shock. None of us have slept properly.”

Local Labour councillors and candidates are supporting residents in their fight.

The council’s housing boss Councillor Peter Baillie said refurbishments works were needed to meet a growing demand for specialist dementia units in the city, and the courtyard layout of the ground floor of The Graylings was an ideal location.

He said works could not be carried out with the seven tenants still in the ground-floor flats.

Cllr Baillie said there would be enough empty flats to rehome them within The Graylings if they wished although not necessarily on the ground floor.

The works are expected to start in July and finish early next year.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:10pm Thu 23 Feb 12

magssoton says...

Why cant the council use Thorners court in the Polygon for Dementia units. This is empty..what happened to all the people that lived there? We should let them stay where they want.
Why cant the council use Thorners court in the Polygon for Dementia units. This is empty..what happened to all the people that lived there? We should let them stay where they want. magssoton
  • Score: 0

3:42pm Thu 23 Feb 12

Over the Edge says...

I thought the council had a partnership with the BUPA dementia unit next to Freemantle Common, mind you looking at the latest care report from that place, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
I thought the council had a partnership with the BUPA dementia unit next to Freemantle Common, mind you looking at the latest care report from that place, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Over the Edge
  • Score: 0

3:51pm Thu 23 Feb 12

Goldenwight says...

Over the Edge wrote:
I thought the council had a partnership with the BUPA dementia unit next to Freemantle Common, mind you looking at the latest care report from that place, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Would you be talking about BUPA there, or Soton council?
[quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: I thought the council had a partnership with the BUPA dementia unit next to Freemantle Common, mind you looking at the latest care report from that place, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.[/p][/quote]Would you be talking about BUPA there, or Soton council? Goldenwight
  • Score: 0

4:12pm Thu 23 Feb 12

Maine Lobster says...

Interesting that the Council can find the resources to remodel these flats but they claim there are no resources to invest in the empty properties at Erskine Court.
That will take some explaining!
Interesting that the Council can find the resources to remodel these flats but they claim there are no resources to invest in the empty properties at Erskine Court. That will take some explaining! Maine Lobster
  • Score: 0

4:15pm Thu 23 Feb 12

Goldenwight says...

Just playing Devil's advocate here for a moment, since I don't know these flats or anything about sheltered accommodation.

Supposing the flats had been dilapidated and in need of renovation. Would the Echo have got two news stories- one where the Council refused to undertake the repairs, and a second when the residents refused to move out whilst they were undertaken?
Just playing Devil's advocate here for a moment, since I don't know these flats or anything about sheltered accommodation. Supposing the flats had been dilapidated and in need of renovation. Would the Echo have got two news stories- one where the Council refused to undertake the repairs, and a second when the residents refused to move out whilst they were undertaken? Goldenwight
  • Score: 0

5:41pm Thu 23 Feb 12

Lone Ranger. says...

Goldenwight wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
I thought the council had a partnership with the BUPA dementia unit next to Freemantle Common, mind you looking at the latest care report from that place, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Would you be talking about BUPA there, or Soton council?
Definately BUPA
[quote][p][bold]Goldenwight[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: I thought the council had a partnership with the BUPA dementia unit next to Freemantle Common, mind you looking at the latest care report from that place, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.[/p][/quote]Would you be talking about BUPA there, or Soton council?[/p][/quote]Definately BUPA Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 0

6:25pm Thu 23 Feb 12

Over the Edge says...

Lone Ranger. wrote:
Goldenwight wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
I thought the council had a partnership with the BUPA dementia unit next to Freemantle Common, mind you looking at the latest care report from that place, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Would you be talking about BUPA there, or Soton council?
Definately BUPA
Both, however I did say care, clearly the council don't care and BUPA seem incapable of providing any care.
[quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Goldenwight[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: I thought the council had a partnership with the BUPA dementia unit next to Freemantle Common, mind you looking at the latest care report from that place, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.[/p][/quote]Would you be talking about BUPA there, or Soton council?[/p][/quote]Definately BUPA[/p][/quote]Both, however I did say care, clearly the council don't care and BUPA seem incapable of providing any care. Over the Edge
  • Score: 0

7:34pm Thu 23 Feb 12

bazzeroz says...

Over the Edge wrote:
Lone Ranger. wrote:
Goldenwight wrote:
Over the Edge wrote:
I thought the council had a partnership with the BUPA dementia unit next to Freemantle Common, mind you looking at the latest care report from that place, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Would you be talking about BUPA there, or Soton council?
Definately BUPA
Both, however I did say care, clearly the council don't care and BUPA seem incapable of providing any care.
I live so close to Oak Lodge I could spit on it and strangely enough do! All the staff seem to do is drink tea and make a load of noise in 'their little den'. It's like living next to a industrial estate and I will be complaining! I believe there was a report on this s.hite hole last year and it didn't exactly do very well. I wonder why? Cash machine is all it is and care? well none that I know of!
[quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lone Ranger.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Goldenwight[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Over the Edge[/bold] wrote: I thought the council had a partnership with the BUPA dementia unit next to Freemantle Common, mind you looking at the latest care report from that place, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.[/p][/quote]Would you be talking about BUPA there, or Soton council?[/p][/quote]Definately BUPA[/p][/quote]Both, however I did say care, clearly the council don't care and BUPA seem incapable of providing any care.[/p][/quote]I live so close to Oak Lodge I could spit on it and strangely enough do! All the staff seem to do is drink tea and make a load of noise in 'their little den'. It's like living next to a industrial estate and I will be complaining! I believe there was a report on this s.hite hole last year and it didn't exactly do very well. I wonder why? Cash machine is all it is and care? well none that I know of! bazzeroz
  • Score: 0

9:22pm Thu 23 Feb 12

loosehead says...

I use to do checks in Regents Park rd & lived there for a while & the work on these flats have been on going for years.
they say they can stay in those flats but not on the ground floor so what's the problem?
these people stay in that area near their friends & some flats are made easier for people with dementia I thought they would at least be happy that this was happening ?
As a young lad I new this place as the death camp as it was grey & uninviting & the people came here to live their last years.
These are very old buildings & if the council didn't do work on them there would be people shouting about it now they're doing it still people aren't happy.
I could understand if they were being chucked out of all the flats but they're not they're being offered flats in the same complex?
I use to do checks in Regents Park rd & lived there for a while & the work on these flats have been on going for years. they say they can stay in those flats but not on the ground floor so what's the problem? these people stay in that area near their friends & some flats are made easier for people with dementia I thought they would at least be happy that this was happening ? As a young lad I new this place as the death camp as it was grey & uninviting & the people came here to live their last years. These are very old buildings & if the council didn't do work on them there would be people shouting about it now they're doing it still people aren't happy. I could understand if they were being chucked out of all the flats but they're not they're being offered flats in the same complex? loosehead
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree