Lib Dems tighten strangle hold on Eastleigh

Daily Echo: Lib Dems tighten strangle hold on Eastleigh Lib Dems tighten strangle hold on Eastleigh

IT was business as usual as the Liberal Democrats maintained their vice-like grip on Eastleigh Borough Council.

All eyes were on whether the party could maintain its huge majority with 15 of the authority's seats up for grabs.

But in the endthey strengthen their stronghold.

The Lib Dems picked up gains in the Eastleigh Central and South wards - the seats that were previously held by members of the Independent Party of Eastleigh Councillors neither of whom were standing for re- election.

Conservative leader Godfrey Olsen romped home to retain his seat in Hiltingbury East.

But there was disappointment for Labour's Pete Luffman who lost out to Lib Dem rival Darshan Singh Mann in Eastleigh South by just 13 votes.

He said: "I'm disappointed to have lost after two recounts. I suppose it is now about going away and working out what went wrong.

"The Labour Party has a full set of candidates for the next election."

Eastleigh MP Chris Huhne arrived at the Fleming Park Leisure Centre count at around 11.30pm with partner Catrina Trimingham.

Throughout the day, a steady stream of voters had made their way to polling stations around the borough with seats being contested in Eastleigh, Hiltingbury, Fair Oak, Hamble, Bishopstoke, Chandler's Ford, Hedge End, Bursledon, Botley and Netley Abbey.

Around a hundred people helped count up the voting slips as nervous candidates waited for the results.

Lib Dem leader Keith House said: "We are delighted. We work ward by ward all year round and never take it for granted. We ask the electorate to say what they think and the fact that they are prepared to re-elect us in increasingly large numbers is fantastic.

Overall the Liberal Democrats took 13 of the 15 seats available, with the Conservatives taking one.

It now means they hold 40 of the 44 council seats.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:45am Fri 4 May 12

George4th says...

Eastleigh is a thriving area with lots of opportunity. Why would anyone want to spoil it by voting Labour?!!!!
Eastleigh is a thriving area with lots of opportunity. Why would anyone want to spoil it by voting Labour?!!!! George4th

11:46am Fri 4 May 12

Roy S says...

The Lib Dems must have been really proud of their Treasury Minister Danny Alexander spouting Tory Propagander when saying "The mess labour left us in" when anyone with more than two brain cells realise that it was a banker crisis. What he is saying can be interpreted as Vote Lib Dem, and you will be voting Tory...
The Lib Dems must have been really proud of their Treasury Minister Danny Alexander spouting Tory Propagander when saying "The mess labour left us in" when anyone with more than two brain cells realise that it was a banker crisis. What he is saying can be interpreted as Vote Lib Dem, and you will be voting Tory... Roy S

11:56am Fri 4 May 12

George4th says...

Roy S wrote:
The Lib Dems must have been really proud of their Treasury Minister Danny Alexander spouting Tory Propagander when saying "The mess labour left us in" when anyone with more than two brain cells realise that it was a banker crisis. What he is saying can be interpreted as Vote Lib Dem, and you will be voting Tory...
Just to put you straight. In 1997 we had no debt. In 1997 the Labour government followed the USA and deregulated the Financial Sector ostensibly to free up more money to further boost government spending through additional tax revenue. They forgot to impose new failsafe Financial Regulations!! The UK was £600 Billion in debt and RISING, BEFORE the financial crisis. Amongst others, Vince Cable warned the Labour government in 2006 of what was going to happen! By the time the Labour government left office we were £1000 Billion in debt and rising!!! We also were left with massive Labour spending commitments (incl PFIs) - in fact by this time, for every £4 we were spending, we had to borrow £3 to pay for it!!
[quote][p][bold]Roy S[/bold] wrote: The Lib Dems must have been really proud of their Treasury Minister Danny Alexander spouting Tory Propagander when saying "The mess labour left us in" when anyone with more than two brain cells realise that it was a banker crisis. What he is saying can be interpreted as Vote Lib Dem, and you will be voting Tory...[/p][/quote]Just to put you straight. In 1997 we had no debt. In 1997 the Labour government followed the USA and deregulated the Financial Sector ostensibly to free up more money to further boost government spending through additional tax revenue. They forgot to impose new failsafe Financial Regulations!! The UK was £600 Billion in debt and RISING, BEFORE the financial crisis. Amongst others, Vince Cable warned the Labour government in 2006 of what was going to happen! By the time the Labour government left office we were £1000 Billion in debt and rising!!! We also were left with massive Labour spending commitments (incl PFIs) - in fact by this time, for every £4 we were spending, we had to borrow £3 to pay for it!! George4th

12:36pm Fri 4 May 12

madmike says...

Oh no not more Tories in Eastleigh. I was hoping they'd get beaten , but no such luck. I notice Huhne made an appearance. I thought he forgot where Eastleigh was as he's never here.
Oh no not more Tories [oops i meant Lib Dems ] in Eastleigh. I was hoping they'd get beaten , but no such luck. I notice Huhne made an appearance. I thought he forgot where Eastleigh was as he's never here. madmike

1:56pm Fri 4 May 12

southy says...

George4th wrote:
Roy S wrote:
The Lib Dems must have been really proud of their Treasury Minister Danny Alexander spouting Tory Propagander when saying "The mess labour left us in" when anyone with more than two brain cells realise that it was a banker crisis. What he is saying can be interpreted as Vote Lib Dem, and you will be voting Tory...
Just to put you straight. In 1997 we had no debt. In 1997 the Labour government followed the USA and deregulated the Financial Sector ostensibly to free up more money to further boost government spending through additional tax revenue. They forgot to impose new failsafe Financial Regulations!! The UK was £600 Billion in debt and RISING, BEFORE the financial crisis. Amongst others, Vince Cable warned the Labour government in 2006 of what was going to happen! By the time the Labour government left office we were £1000 Billion in debt and rising!!! We also were left with massive Labour spending commitments (incl PFIs) - in fact by this time, for every £4 we were spending, we had to borrow £3 to pay for it!!
To put you straight we had a debt off over 800 billion When Bliar went into number 10, the debt started to build up uncontrolled when Thatcher removed the finance restrictions, she was also one of the first to take advantage of it by moving her millions out of the UK and into a Tax Free Heaven.
[quote][p][bold]George4th[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Roy S[/bold] wrote: The Lib Dems must have been really proud of their Treasury Minister Danny Alexander spouting Tory Propagander when saying "The mess labour left us in" when anyone with more than two brain cells realise that it was a banker crisis. What he is saying can be interpreted as Vote Lib Dem, and you will be voting Tory...[/p][/quote]Just to put you straight. In 1997 we had no debt. In 1997 the Labour government followed the USA and deregulated the Financial Sector ostensibly to free up more money to further boost government spending through additional tax revenue. They forgot to impose new failsafe Financial Regulations!! The UK was £600 Billion in debt and RISING, BEFORE the financial crisis. Amongst others, Vince Cable warned the Labour government in 2006 of what was going to happen! By the time the Labour government left office we were £1000 Billion in debt and rising!!! We also were left with massive Labour spending commitments (incl PFIs) - in fact by this time, for every £4 we were spending, we had to borrow £3 to pay for it!![/p][/quote]To put you straight we had a debt off over 800 billion When Bliar went into number 10, the debt started to build up uncontrolled when Thatcher removed the finance restrictions, she was also one of the first to take advantage of it by moving her millions out of the UK and into a Tax Free Heaven. southy

2:27pm Fri 4 May 12

modusoper says...

Why were the people of West End denied a vote?
Why were the people of West End denied a vote? modusoper

8:17am Sat 5 May 12

GrahamTheRetired says...

'Labour's Pete Luffman who lost out to Lib Dem rival Darshan Singh Mann in Eastleigh South by just 13 votes.
He said: "I'm disappointed to have lost after two recounts. I suppose it is now about going away and working out what went wrong.'
Sorry Mr Luffman, Labour and the Greedy Conservatives, Bankers and CEO's have bankrupted the Country. Simples!
'Labour's Pete Luffman who lost out to Lib Dem rival Darshan Singh Mann in Eastleigh South by just 13 votes. He said: "I'm disappointed to have lost after two recounts. I suppose it is now about going away and working out what went wrong.' Sorry Mr Luffman, Labour and the Greedy Conservatives, Bankers and CEO's have bankrupted the Country. Simples! GrahamTheRetired

8:28am Sat 5 May 12

Matt Probert says...

"Lib Dems tighten strangle hold on Eastleigh"

Not a very objective headline! One assumes the Daily Echo does not approve of the choice made by those few people in Eastleigh who voted?
"Lib Dems tighten strangle hold on Eastleigh" Not a very objective headline! One assumes the Daily Echo does not approve of the choice made by those few people in Eastleigh who voted? Matt Probert

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree