Time to step back and consider Ashya

Time to step back and consider Ashya

Time to step back and consider Ashya

First published in Voice of the Echo

THE sad saga of little Ashya King continues today and is in danger of becoming a media circus.

This is, perhaps, understandable and was predictable once Hampshire Police, following requests for assistance from Southampton General Hospital, turned the search for the sick five-year-old into a European-wide operation.

Questions over whether the authorities have been heavy handed over this issue and if judicial steps to detain Ashya’s parents and return the family to the UK have risen to the fore.

This newspaper recognises the need for those in authority to take steps to ensure Ashya was indeed safe. But we cannot help but be concerned at this stage over the present situation the little boy, his brothers and sisters and his parents now find themselves in.

No one doubts this is a much-loved child, but now he is left without any contact with his family members in a foreign hospital. How can this be considered best for any child let alone one in such a vulnerable state?

Keeping Ashya’s family away from his bedside would appear a formality too far, the actions of a system that seems incapable of stepping back and seeing these events with compassionate eyes.

It is hard not to support the thousands who have signed a petition to let Mr and Mrs King be at the bedside of their son while these matters are dealt with.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:42am Tue 2 Sep 14

cliffwalker says...

I'm guessing (but who knows?) that if the parents had agreed to repatriation, the judge would have allowed them bail until that would have been arranged.

Hard cases do not make good law and this is such a case. Given bail the couple might have tried to run off again with the boy or they might have waited patiently for proper arrangements were made to have him safely returned to UK where they could set up, with expert medical advice, whatever private treatments they wished.

We will never know the answer to the "what if" questions so it's perhaps best if our personal opinions are not printed in the Voice of the Echo.
I'm guessing (but who knows?) that if the parents had agreed to repatriation, the judge would have allowed them bail until that would have been arranged. Hard cases do not make good law and this is such a case. Given bail the couple might have tried to run off again with the boy or they might have waited patiently for proper arrangements were made to have him safely returned to UK where they could set up, with expert medical advice, whatever private treatments they wished. We will never know the answer to the "what if" questions so it's perhaps best if our personal opinions are not printed in the Voice of the Echo. cliffwalker
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree