The Polish stopper looked nervy on his return to the team at St Mary’s and fumbled a couple of early crosses after replacing the club captain.
It was the fifth time in just 20 Premier League games this season that Adkins has changed his number one, and it wasn’t a popular decision with some supporters.
However, he was adamant he made the call for the right reasons.
“These are the decisions you’ve got to go and make as a manager,” he reflected.
“Artur has obviously had a bit of a shaky start to the game but he’s gathered his composure and you know that’s what you’re going to get when you’ve got experienced goalkeepers in there.
“He’s been very impressive in training, his attitude has been outstanding so I’ve given him the opportunity.
“Kelvin everyone knows how much I like him, he’s top drawer.”
- £20m United target Clyne to decide future at end of season
- POLL: Do you think Jack Cork will accept his new contract offer from Saints?
- RUMOUR: Saints defender linked with £20m move to United
- COMMENT: Why Saints fans are wrong if they say 'at least we can now concentrate on the league'
- Ward-Prowse rues missed opportunity for Saints