The Nigel Adkins sacking - what the nationals say

Daily Echo: Stan Collymore Stan Collymore

Saints have been the talk of the football world for all the wrong reasons following the sacking of Nigel Adkins.

Chairman Nicola Cortese's decision has sparked an avalance of trenchant opinion from the following Sunday columnists:

Stan Collymore (Sunday People): “Nigel Adkins has been treated in a shambolic manner. There is a trend for clubs to turn to Spain at the moment whenever they need help. I can see why but just because Mauricio Pochettino has worked in La Liga does not mean he will be the next Michael Laudrup. Like the director of football, it doesn’t always work. Adkins is a good English manager, he’d done his apprenticeship in the lower leagues and pushed Southampton into the Premier League ahead of the schedule set out by club chairman Nicola Cortese. He’s just picked up a terrific point at Chelsea and it looked like Saints had a real chance of staying up. His reward? The sack.”

Jim Holden (Sunday Express): “The presence of an interpreter at the unveiling of Southampton’s new boss Mauricio Pochettino rang the alarm bells for me about the most shocking managerial change for many a year. It’s always a gamble when a football club puts a new man in charge of the first team. It’s a double gamble when the departing manager was as popular and successful as Nigel Adkins. It’s an incredible treble risk when an interpreter is required. Managers who don’t understand and speak our language with some fluency do not fare well in English football. Fabio Capello is the most famous example and Juande Ramos is the best example in his utter failure at Tottenham, even though he arrived with impeccable credentials from Spain. Now it may be that Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese is a very clever as well as a ruthless and demanding chap. But this move shrieks of stupidity. It looks like the action of a man being too clever by half for his own club’s good.”

Paul Wilson (The Observer): “Adkins losing his job must have brought a blush to the cheek of the established Premier League managers below him in the table, at Aston Villa, Newcastle and Wigan. It does not appear to have brought a blush to the cheek of Nicola Cortese who, despite strong competition, may be about to make a name for himself as the oddest, most impulsive and least predictable chairman. Anyone who strikes the normally anodyne Matt Le Tissier as "not a very nice human being" is not going to remain a Hampshire secret for long and even Cortese's friends concede he can be unconventional and confrontational...Cortese might be on to a good thing: his latest appointment could mark him out as a talent-spotter extraordinaire, and Saints fans could live to regret all the fun they have been having at the Italian banker's expense on his Wikipedia page. Or, and this seems more likely, this is the point where Southampton turn into the new Blackburn.”

Daniel Taylor (The Observer): "Southampton, in short, can have a funny way of doing things – though not funny in the traditional sense when you consider that successive promotions, then establishing a side with a good shout of staying in the Premier League have not spared Nigel Adkins from being fired. Add in the fact that his replacement, the former Argentina international Mauricio Pochettino, does not speak English and was sacked from his last job after taking Espanyol to the bottom of La Liga and it is tempting to wonder if Southampton’s executive chairman, Nicola Cortese, doubles up as a member of the Silly Party.”

Michael Calvin (Independent on Sunday) compares Nicola Cortese with Swansea City defender Angel Ramel, who fed the homeless a few hours after Adkins' sacking: "They are, in the loosest sense, economic migrants. Each came from Europe to forge a career in football and have worked assiduously to progress to the Premier League from League One. Spiritually, they inhabit different planets. Cortese’s sacking of Nigel Adkins, hours before Rangel’s charitable endeavour, understandably enraged the football community. It was conspicuously callous and counter-intuitive, because of Southampton’s run of two defeats in 12 games, and will deepen disillusion. It is not unusual for an incoming manager to prepare clandestinely for weeks to take over from the unwitting victim of his latent ambition. Few are as brazen or unguarded as Mauricio Pochettino, who admitted his part in the charade through an ill-starred interpreter."

Patrick Collins (Mail on Sunday): "As football managers go, Nigel Adkins is an unusual chap. He doesn't scream at referees, strike theatrical poses, blame players for his own shortcomings or behave as if the world revolved around Nigel Adkins. Instead, he seems refreshingly normal and rather good at his job. In 26 months at Southampton, he lifted his team by 51 places and won them two promotions. But those promotions were his biggest mistake. For suddenly, Southampton began to be noticed. The chairman, one Nicola Cortese, came scampering towards the spotlight; a minor clown in search of a major role. Instead of enjoying extraordinary progress, he started to make deluded decisions, like looking for a new manager. Four games into Southampton's unbeaten run, he found him. The new man is Mauricio Pochettino, who speaks little English and has just been sacked by Espanyol after a relatively brief but notably unsuccessful tenure. Adkins has won overwhelming sympathy but his record ensures that he will soon find congenial employment. As for Cortese, renewed obscurity beckons. He will not be missed."

Comments (48)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:41pm Sun 20 Jan 13

J7junctionseven says...

zzzzzzzzzzz......let it go Louie FFS
zzzzzzzzzzz......let it go Louie FFS J7junctionseven
  • Score: 0

3:43pm Sun 20 Jan 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Well at least we are actually on the map at last, nice to know they care because they have never done that in the past. Oh well if it sells papers good luck to them, somehow we will have to turn this adverse publicity around, the best way is by roaring the team on to success, tomorrow and every day until the end of the season, and the Press don@T like it they can take a running jump. COYRs STID v
Well at least we are actually on the map at last, nice to know they care because they have never done that in the past. Oh well if it sells papers good luck to them, somehow we will have to turn this adverse publicity around, the best way is by roaring the team on to success, tomorrow and every day until the end of the season, and the Press don@T like it they can take a running jump. COYRs STID v OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

3:45pm Sun 20 Jan 13

The stripes says...

I never supported Adkins but all this negativity could have been avoided. Easily.
I never supported Adkins but all this negativity could have been avoided. Easily. The stripes
  • Score: 0

4:08pm Sun 20 Jan 13

tinas says...

The chairman, one Nicola Cortese, came scampering towards the spotlight; a minor clown in search of a major role.

Says it all, really.
The chairman, one Nicola Cortese, came scampering towards the spotlight; a minor clown in search of a major role. Says it all, really. tinas
  • Score: 0

4:09pm Sun 20 Jan 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

The stripes wrote:
I never supported Adkins but all this negativity could have been avoided. Easily.
Yes, if the fans use common sense instead of blowing their fuses.
[quote][p][bold]The stripes[/bold] wrote: I never supported Adkins but all this negativity could have been avoided. Easily.[/p][/quote]Yes, if the fans use common sense instead of blowing their fuses. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

4:26pm Sun 20 Jan 13

The stripes says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
The stripes wrote:
I never supported Adkins but all this negativity could have been avoided. Easily.
Yes, if the fans use common sense instead of blowing their fuses.
But really, the way the Chairman conducted his business of hiring and firing has made it easy for anyone to blow their fuse. Don't you think?
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The stripes[/bold] wrote: I never supported Adkins but all this negativity could have been avoided. Easily.[/p][/quote]Yes, if the fans use common sense instead of blowing their fuses.[/p][/quote]But really, the way the Chairman conducted his business of hiring and firing has made it easy for anyone to blow their fuse. Don't you think? The stripes
  • Score: 0

4:27pm Sun 20 Jan 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

tinas wrote:
The chairman, one Nicola Cortese, came scampering towards the spotlight; a minor clown in search of a major role.

Says it all, really.
Not once has Cortese ever blown his own trumpet, he has never once claimed credit for anything he has done, he just gets on with job and keeps his peace. Something I wish those anti Cortese people could well do. You don't have to like him, to respect what he has already done. All I see is sniping from people with their own agendas without an iota of proof that he is doing anything other than what he thinks is right for Club. He may be wrong in some respects, but where would we be now if he hadn't been there for us when we needed him most. There are very few people who didn't think Nigels departure was badly handled and wrong in many respects, but instant judgement is unfair too, let's judge things by the results at the end of the Season. Even then it will be hypothetical that Nigel will have made any difference, we can't change that whatever we do. If you are a true and honest Saints fan, it is your duty to support the team, the Club and whoever is running it. If you cannot accept that, please just go away for a while and think carefully what you want for the future. If you are man enough, come back and give the Club your support, we need everyone on the same wavelength if we are to succeed.
[quote][p][bold]tinas[/bold] wrote: The chairman, one Nicola Cortese, came scampering towards the spotlight; a minor clown in search of a major role. Says it all, really.[/p][/quote]Not once has Cortese ever blown his own trumpet, he has never once claimed credit for anything he has done, he just gets on with job and keeps his peace. Something I wish those anti Cortese people could well do. You don't have to like him, to respect what he has already done. All I see is sniping from people with their own agendas without an iota of proof that he is doing anything other than what he thinks is right for Club. He may be wrong in some respects, but where would we be now if he hadn't been there for us when we needed him most. There are very few people who didn't think Nigels departure was badly handled and wrong in many respects, but instant judgement is unfair too, let's judge things by the results at the end of the Season. Even then it will be hypothetical that Nigel will have made any difference, we can't change that whatever we do. If you are a true and honest Saints fan, it is your duty to support the team, the Club and whoever is running it. If you cannot accept that, please just go away for a while and think carefully what you want for the future. If you are man enough, come back and give the Club your support, we need everyone on the same wavelength if we are to succeed. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

5:12pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Saint_Si says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
tinas wrote:
The chairman, one Nicola Cortese, came scampering towards the spotlight; a minor clown in search of a major role.

Says it all, really.
Not once has Cortese ever blown his own trumpet, he has never once claimed credit for anything he has done, he just gets on with job and keeps his peace. Something I wish those anti Cortese people could well do. You don't have to like him, to respect what he has already done. All I see is sniping from people with their own agendas without an iota of proof that he is doing anything other than what he thinks is right for Club. He may be wrong in some respects, but where would we be now if he hadn't been there for us when we needed him most. There are very few people who didn't think Nigels departure was badly handled and wrong in many respects, but instant judgement is unfair too, let's judge things by the results at the end of the Season. Even then it will be hypothetical that Nigel will have made any difference, we can't change that whatever we do. If you are a true and honest Saints fan, it is your duty to support the team, the Club and whoever is running it. If you cannot accept that, please just go away for a while and think carefully what you want for the future. If you are man enough, come back and give the Club your support, we need everyone on the same wavelength if we are to succeed.
Totally agree, we need to support our club no matter what, I for one will not be waving any white handkerchief tomorrow night and believe whoever does should seriously consider how much you actually support our club.

Yes, I feel sorry for Nigel and would like to thank him for what he's done for our club, but the club is bigger than any man. FACT!
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tinas[/bold] wrote: The chairman, one Nicola Cortese, came scampering towards the spotlight; a minor clown in search of a major role. Says it all, really.[/p][/quote]Not once has Cortese ever blown his own trumpet, he has never once claimed credit for anything he has done, he just gets on with job and keeps his peace. Something I wish those anti Cortese people could well do. You don't have to like him, to respect what he has already done. All I see is sniping from people with their own agendas without an iota of proof that he is doing anything other than what he thinks is right for Club. He may be wrong in some respects, but where would we be now if he hadn't been there for us when we needed him most. There are very few people who didn't think Nigels departure was badly handled and wrong in many respects, but instant judgement is unfair too, let's judge things by the results at the end of the Season. Even then it will be hypothetical that Nigel will have made any difference, we can't change that whatever we do. If you are a true and honest Saints fan, it is your duty to support the team, the Club and whoever is running it. If you cannot accept that, please just go away for a while and think carefully what you want for the future. If you are man enough, come back and give the Club your support, we need everyone on the same wavelength if we are to succeed.[/p][/quote]Totally agree, we need to support our club no matter what, I for one will not be waving any white handkerchief tomorrow night and believe whoever does should seriously consider how much you actually support our club. Yes, I feel sorry for Nigel and would like to thank him for what he's done for our club, but the club is bigger than any man. FACT! Saint_Si
  • Score: 0

5:14pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Strasbourg Saint says...

When I've had the occasion to read Jim Holden in the Sunday Express, I've found myself nodding in agreement with him (something I don't do much of when flicking through the Express). The others above are the real clowns. As for Stan Collymore, well, he'd know all about treating people in a shambolic manner.
When I've had the occasion to read Jim Holden in the Sunday Express, I've found myself nodding in agreement with him (something I don't do much of when flicking through the Express). The others above are the real clowns. As for Stan Collymore, well, he'd know all about treating people in a shambolic manner. Strasbourg Saint
  • Score: 0

5:31pm Sun 20 Jan 13

The stripes says...

I think the posters on here have judged the handling of NA's sacking by what they have seen and heard, facts haven't even entered into it because no one has offered them to us. So we can argue the toss but at the end of the day we base our comments on what we see and hear and/or what is perceived.

If there are facts, which I'm sure there are, why doesn't the Chairman come out and put everyone straight and stop all the speculation and bad feeling? I think the way football clubs have to handle the media is part of the job.

So what is a true fan and how can one measure that? I would wage that Le Tiss is a big a fan of Saints as anyone as he stuck with us all that time but he has been criticized for his comments. Does that mean he's not a true supporter?

If the sacking and hiring was handled properly we'd all be in a much better place now and ready for the Everton game. But actually it's created a right old storm, something as I said before could be avoided.

I don't think it matters anymore if a club has true or plastic fans. I am sat here 6,000 miles from So'ton with a bunch of lads supporting Man U - a team that thrives on fans that have never set foot in the UK. Are they true fans? They've never been to the uk let alone Manchester. What would they think about their new manager when it comes? They may have been supporting them for 20 years... Are they real or not?

I guess many of us will trundle along with Saints and football no matter what happens despite of what happens. But events like this pull down the image of football - or Saints image in particular. It only takes someone to simply step in and gloss over the cracks just to appease the masses that mean so much. Easy really.

I want to get behind Saints, same as I did when I wanted Adkins out. I just think I could have been back on the bus much quicker if the PR department (or whoever it is who handles SFC affairs) stepped in and sorted it all out.
I think the posters on here have judged the handling of NA's sacking by what they have seen and heard, facts haven't even entered into it because no one has offered them to us. So we can argue the toss but at the end of the day we base our comments on what we see and hear and/or what is perceived. If there are facts, which I'm sure there are, why doesn't the Chairman come out and put everyone straight and stop all the speculation and bad feeling? I think the way football clubs have to handle the media is part of the job. So what is a true fan and how can one measure that? I would wage that Le Tiss is a big a fan of Saints as anyone as he stuck with us all that time but he has been criticized for his comments. Does that mean he's not a true supporter? If the sacking and hiring was handled properly we'd all be in a much better place now and ready for the Everton game. But actually it's created a right old storm, something as I said before could be avoided. I don't think it matters anymore if a club has true or plastic fans. I am sat here 6,000 miles from So'ton with a bunch of lads supporting Man U - a team that thrives on fans that have never set foot in the UK. Are they true fans? They've never been to the uk let alone Manchester. What would they think about their new manager when it comes? They may have been supporting them for 20 years... Are they real or not? I guess many of us will trundle along with Saints and football no matter what happens despite of what happens. But events like this pull down the image of football - or Saints image in particular. It only takes someone to simply step in and gloss over the cracks just to appease the masses that mean so much. Easy really. I want to get behind Saints, same as I did when I wanted Adkins out. I just think I could have been back on the bus much quicker if the PR department (or whoever it is who handles SFC affairs) stepped in and sorted it all out. The stripes
  • Score: 0

5:33pm Sun 20 Jan 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

I thought we had engaged a media manager, but I guess if he ever told us anything he would get a pair of concrete slippers and a float down the Itchen?
I thought we had engaged a media manager, but I guess if he ever told us anything he would get a pair of concrete slippers and a float down the Itchen? OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

5:40pm Sun 20 Jan 13

hates the skates says...

why dont they add that espanyol are deeply in debt and he had to constantly sale his best players season after season and bring in kids as replacements and up until he left in november gave 20 debuts. yeah thats a recipe for success. out of all that shambles he did very very well in the previous few seasons at a club with less money than portsmouth, personally i want to see my team 6 points clear of the relegation places tommorow and would prefer if we moved on cheer on the team to victory and be 3 points better of
why dont they add that espanyol are deeply in debt and he had to constantly sale his best players season after season and bring in kids as replacements and up until he left in november gave 20 debuts. yeah thats a recipe for success. out of all that shambles he did very very well in the previous few seasons at a club with less money than portsmouth, personally i want to see my team 6 points clear of the relegation places tommorow and would prefer if we moved on cheer on the team to victory and be 3 points better of hates the skates
  • Score: 0

6:11pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Strasbourg Saint says...

Whether we agree with the sacking or not, I think we can all see that the Nationals have jumped on Nicola's back with little or no understanding of the facts. Meanwhile, Nicola hasn't helped matters with his silence, and those 'spokespeople' getting their faces on TV and in the press calling for boycotts and white flags don't seem to be representative of what most of us think.

So, in keeping with the musical theme on here in recent weeks, here's one for the fans to take with them into Monday evening so as to show the world that Saints fans have moved on and are not like the Chelski fans. I hope to hear a song or two for Nigel but, most of all, I expect to hear 'Oh When the Saints', sung loud and proud for the world to hear.

With apologies to Emeli Sande:

We've got the power to change what people think
But we're biting our tongues.
We've spent a life time stuck in silence
Afraid we’ll do something wrong.
If no one ever hears it,
how are they gonna learn our song?
So come on, come on, come on, come on.

We've got a heart as loud as lions
So why let our voices be tamed?
Nicola, we're a little different
There's no need to be ashamed.
We've got the light to fight the shadows
So let’s stop hiding it away.
Come on, come on.

I wanna sing, I wanna shout,
I wanna scream till the words dry out.
So put it in all of the papers,
I'm not afraid.
They can read all about it
Read all about it.

On Monday night we'll be waking up the neighbours
While we sing away the blues.
Making sure that we remember, Nigel,
But Nicola matters, too.
So, if the truth has been hidden
Then the press are breaking all the rules.
So come on, come on, come on, come on,
Let's get the TV and the radio
To play our tune again.
It's 'bout time we got some airplay of our version of events.
There's no need to be afraid
I will sing with you my friend.
Come on, come on.

I wanna sing, I wanna shout
I wanna scream till the words dry out.
So put it in all of the papers,
I'm not afraid.
They can read all about it
Read all about it.

Yeah, we're all wonderful, wonderful people
So when did we all get so tearful?
Now we're finally finding our voices
So take a chance, come help me sing this.
Yeah, we're all wonderful, wonderful people
So when did we all get so tearful?
And now we're finally finding our voices
So take a chance, come help me sing this.

I wanna sing, I wanna shout
I wanna scream till the words dry out.
So put it in all of the papers,
I'm not afraid.
They can read all about it
Read all about it.
Whether we agree with the sacking or not, I think we can all see that the Nationals have jumped on Nicola's back with little or no understanding of the facts. Meanwhile, Nicola hasn't helped matters with his silence, and those 'spokespeople' getting their faces on TV and in the press calling for boycotts and white flags don't seem to be representative of what most of us think. So, in keeping with the musical theme on here in recent weeks, here's one for the fans to take with them into Monday evening so as to show the world that Saints fans have moved on and are not like the Chelski fans. I hope to hear a song or two for Nigel but, most of all, I expect to hear 'Oh When the Saints', sung loud and proud for the world to hear. With apologies to Emeli Sande: We've got the power to change what people think But we're biting our tongues. We've spent a life time stuck in silence Afraid we’ll do something wrong. If no one ever hears it, how are they gonna learn our song? So come on, come on, come on, come on. We've got a heart as loud as lions So why let our voices be tamed? Nicola, we're a little different There's no need to be ashamed. We've got the light to fight the shadows So let’s stop hiding it away. Come on, come on. I wanna sing, I wanna shout, I wanna scream till the words dry out. So put it in all of the papers, I'm not afraid. They can read all about it Read all about it. On Monday night we'll be waking up the neighbours While we sing away the blues. Making sure that we remember, Nigel, But Nicola matters, too. So, if the truth has been hidden Then the press are breaking all the rules. So come on, come on, come on, come on, Let's get the TV and the radio To play our tune again. It's 'bout time we got some airplay of our version of events. There's no need to be afraid I will sing with you my friend. Come on, come on. I wanna sing, I wanna shout I wanna scream till the words dry out. So put it in all of the papers, I'm not afraid. They can read all about it Read all about it. Yeah, we're all wonderful, wonderful people So when did we all get so tearful? Now we're finally finding our voices So take a chance, come help me sing this. Yeah, we're all wonderful, wonderful people So when did we all get so tearful? And now we're finally finding our voices So take a chance, come help me sing this. I wanna sing, I wanna shout I wanna scream till the words dry out. So put it in all of the papers, I'm not afraid. They can read all about it Read all about it. Strasbourg Saint
  • Score: 0

6:12pm Sun 20 Jan 13

saintlysoul says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
tinas wrote:
The chairman, one Nicola Cortese, came scampering towards the spotlight; a minor clown in search of a major role.

Says it all, really.
Not once has Cortese ever blown his own trumpet, he has never once claimed credit for anything he has done, he just gets on with job and keeps his peace. Something I wish those anti Cortese people could well do. You don't have to like him, to respect what he has already done. All I see is sniping from people with their own agendas without an iota of proof that he is doing anything other than what he thinks is right for Club. He may be wrong in some respects, but where would we be now if he hadn't been there for us when we needed him most. There are very few people who didn't think Nigels departure was badly handled and wrong in many respects, but instant judgement is unfair too, let's judge things by the results at the end of the Season. Even then it will be hypothetical that Nigel will have made any difference, we can't change that whatever we do. If you are a true and honest Saints fan, it is your duty to support the team, the Club and whoever is running it. If you cannot accept that, please just go away for a while and think carefully what you want for the future. If you are man enough, come back and give the Club your support, we need everyone on the same wavelength if we are to succeed.
Well said!!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tinas[/bold] wrote: The chairman, one Nicola Cortese, came scampering towards the spotlight; a minor clown in search of a major role. Says it all, really.[/p][/quote]Not once has Cortese ever blown his own trumpet, he has never once claimed credit for anything he has done, he just gets on with job and keeps his peace. Something I wish those anti Cortese people could well do. You don't have to like him, to respect what he has already done. All I see is sniping from people with their own agendas without an iota of proof that he is doing anything other than what he thinks is right for Club. He may be wrong in some respects, but where would we be now if he hadn't been there for us when we needed him most. There are very few people who didn't think Nigels departure was badly handled and wrong in many respects, but instant judgement is unfair too, let's judge things by the results at the end of the Season. Even then it will be hypothetical that Nigel will have made any difference, we can't change that whatever we do. If you are a true and honest Saints fan, it is your duty to support the team, the Club and whoever is running it. If you cannot accept that, please just go away for a while and think carefully what you want for the future. If you are man enough, come back and give the Club your support, we need everyone on the same wavelength if we are to succeed.[/p][/quote]Well said!!!!!! saintlysoul
  • Score: 0

6:22pm Sun 20 Jan 13

upwherewebelong says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
The stripes wrote:
I never supported Adkins but all this negativity could have been avoided. Easily.
Yes, if the fans use common sense instead of blowing their fuses.
Osprey the one point I still don't understand about your view is that you give me the impression that we as Southampton fans don't have any right to be one of the following
1. Upset
2. Confused
3. Disappointed
4. Angry.or many other words.

I get we should channel our support tomorrow on helping the team rather than behaving like Chelsea fans but I don't understand why fans in your opinion "should use common sense instead of blowing fuses" Please explain what you mean.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The stripes[/bold] wrote: I never supported Adkins but all this negativity could have been avoided. Easily.[/p][/quote]Yes, if the fans use common sense instead of blowing their fuses.[/p][/quote]Osprey the one point I still don't understand about your view is that you give me the impression that we as Southampton fans don't have any right to be one of the following 1. Upset 2. Confused 3. Disappointed 4. Angry.or many other words. I get we should channel our support tomorrow on helping the team rather than behaving like Chelsea fans but I don't understand why fans in your opinion "should use common sense instead of blowing fuses" Please explain what you mean. upwherewebelong
  • Score: 0

6:27pm Sun 20 Jan 13

upwherewebelong says...

oh forgot to add one other question to Osprey.

What is your definition of a "proper Saints fan" is it someone that never expresses and opinion or is concerned about decisions made. ? or is it someone that thinks Cortese can do no wrong and is on a higher level than anyone else in football. ?

Lets be straight you are absolutely 100% right to say we will never know what would have happened had NA stayed. Equally you are right to say we need to be united behind the team. But to dismiss people that are concerned and may have expressed that a little strongly on here as NOT SFC fans I find a little harsh and irrational

This is of course just my opinion and I fully expect people will disagree with me
oh forgot to add one other question to Osprey. What is your definition of a "proper Saints fan" is it someone that never expresses and opinion or is concerned about decisions made. ? or is it someone that thinks Cortese can do no wrong and is on a higher level than anyone else in football. ? Lets be straight you are absolutely 100% right to say we will never know what would have happened had NA stayed. Equally you are right to say we need to be united behind the team. But to dismiss people that are concerned and may have expressed that a little strongly on here as NOT SFC fans I find a little harsh and irrational This is of course just my opinion and I fully expect people will disagree with me upwherewebelong
  • Score: 0

6:48pm Sun 20 Jan 13

st1halo says...

None of these commentators or journalists have any reason to say anything nice about Southampton FC.
Both they and the supporters of other teams would love us to remain as that provincial little club down south and no threat to anyone.
Boy have we got news for them!

The Saints are coming!

STID
None of these commentators or journalists have any reason to say anything nice about Southampton FC. Both they and the supporters of other teams would love us to remain as that provincial little club down south and no threat to anyone. Boy have we got news for them! The Saints are coming! STID st1halo
  • Score: 0

8:00pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Highways and Byways says...

As a 40 yr STH I say get behind the team on Mon night . We want to get out of the basement -don't we ?

I was sick for Nigel but .... he'll be disappointed and who knows - another challenge for him beckons for sure

Trying to see it from NC perspective we were right down there only a few weeks ago Give him some credit for 'action '- it speaks louder than all the moaning we normally get on here
As a 40 yr STH I say get behind the team on Mon night . We want to get out of the basement -don't we ? I was sick for Nigel but .... he'll be disappointed and who knows - another challenge for him beckons for sure Trying to see it from NC perspective we were right down there only a few weeks ago Give him some credit for 'action '- it speaks louder than all the moaning we normally get on here Highways and Byways
  • Score: 0

8:08pm Sun 20 Jan 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

upwherewebelong wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
The stripes wrote:
I never supported Adkins but all this negativity could have been avoided. Easily.
Yes, if the fans use common sense instead of blowing their fuses.
Osprey the one point I still don't understand about your view is that you give me the impression that we as Southampton fans don't have any right to be one of the following
1. Upset
2. Confused
3. Disappointed
4. Angry.or many other words.

I get we should channel our support tomorrow on helping the team rather than behaving like Chelsea fans but I don't understand why fans in your opinion "should use common sense instead of blowing fuses" Please explain what you mean.
1. Do you think from what I have been saying that I wasn't upset?

2. Confused barely covers my thinking.

3. Saddened to the bone, I thought the sun shone out of Nigels backside.

4. When I first read it I was incandescent, my first post just said "Gutted".

5. Everyone is entitled to their own views, I don't know how many times I have said it. When I disagree with some of pointless rubbish that has been posted I say so, doesn't mean that I am correct.

My prime aim is to get the fans back supporting the team in spite of what has gone on, if we are to survive that is the ONLY avenue available to us. I said it elsewhere our support is our only weapon, let us use it.

I have respect for what Cortese has done for us so far, doesn't mean I will blindly follow if things start to go pear shaped, I will have my say with everyone else if I am given cause to do so, it hasn't happened yet, although one or two things have been out of order, none have been fatal to the cause, just damaging and that is mostly down to the lack of information coming from the Club and its management.

Is there anything that I haven't made clear?.
[quote][p][bold]upwherewebelong[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The stripes[/bold] wrote: I never supported Adkins but all this negativity could have been avoided. Easily.[/p][/quote]Yes, if the fans use common sense instead of blowing their fuses.[/p][/quote]Osprey the one point I still don't understand about your view is that you give me the impression that we as Southampton fans don't have any right to be one of the following 1. Upset 2. Confused 3. Disappointed 4. Angry.or many other words. I get we should channel our support tomorrow on helping the team rather than behaving like Chelsea fans but I don't understand why fans in your opinion "should use common sense instead of blowing fuses" Please explain what you mean.[/p][/quote]1. Do you think from what I have been saying that I wasn't upset? 2. Confused barely covers my thinking. 3. Saddened to the bone, I thought the sun shone out of Nigels backside. 4. When I first read it I was incandescent, my first post just said "Gutted". 5. Everyone is entitled to their own views, I don't know how many times I have said it. When I disagree with some of pointless rubbish that has been posted I say so, doesn't mean that I am correct. My prime aim is to get the fans back supporting the team in spite of what has gone on, if we are to survive that is the ONLY avenue available to us. I said it elsewhere our support is our only weapon, let us use it. I have respect for what Cortese has done for us so far, doesn't mean I will blindly follow if things start to go pear shaped, I will have my say with everyone else if I am given cause to do so, it hasn't happened yet, although one or two things have been out of order, none have been fatal to the cause, just damaging and that is mostly down to the lack of information coming from the Club and its management. Is there anything that I haven't made clear?. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

8:11pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Egomaniac says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
tinas wrote:
The chairman, one Nicola Cortese, came scampering towards the spotlight; a minor clown in search of a major role.

Says it all, really.
Not once has Cortese ever blown his own trumpet, he has never once claimed credit for anything he has done, he just gets on with job and keeps his peace. Something I wish those anti Cortese people could well do. You don't have to like him, to respect what he has already done. All I see is sniping from people with their own agendas without an iota of proof that he is doing anything other than what he thinks is right for Club. He may be wrong in some respects, but where would we be now if he hadn't been there for us when we needed him most. There are very few people who didn't think Nigels departure was badly handled and wrong in many respects, but instant judgement is unfair too, let's judge things by the results at the end of the Season. Even then it will be hypothetical that Nigel will have made any difference, we can't change that whatever we do. If you are a true and honest Saints fan, it is your duty to support the team, the Club and whoever is running it. If you cannot accept that, please just go away for a while and think carefully what you want for the future. If you are man enough, come back and give the Club your support, we need everyone on the same wavelength if we are to succeed.
Well said Osprey. As I said in a post under the Sophia report, are we supporters of SFC and its team, or NC and /or NA?

I firmly believe any demos tomorrow will destabilise the team with disastrous results. It also saddens me to see so many so called supporters on here who use such abusive and crude language - take a look under the 'Harry' article. I truly believe such foul mouthed individuals lose all credibility and thus their arguments as soon as they put 'pen to paper'.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tinas[/bold] wrote: The chairman, one Nicola Cortese, came scampering towards the spotlight; a minor clown in search of a major role. Says it all, really.[/p][/quote]Not once has Cortese ever blown his own trumpet, he has never once claimed credit for anything he has done, he just gets on with job and keeps his peace. Something I wish those anti Cortese people could well do. You don't have to like him, to respect what he has already done. All I see is sniping from people with their own agendas without an iota of proof that he is doing anything other than what he thinks is right for Club. He may be wrong in some respects, but where would we be now if he hadn't been there for us when we needed him most. There are very few people who didn't think Nigels departure was badly handled and wrong in many respects, but instant judgement is unfair too, let's judge things by the results at the end of the Season. Even then it will be hypothetical that Nigel will have made any difference, we can't change that whatever we do. If you are a true and honest Saints fan, it is your duty to support the team, the Club and whoever is running it. If you cannot accept that, please just go away for a while and think carefully what you want for the future. If you are man enough, come back and give the Club your support, we need everyone on the same wavelength if we are to succeed.[/p][/quote]Well said Osprey. As I said in a post under the Sophia report, are we supporters of SFC and its team, or NC and /or NA? I firmly believe any demos tomorrow will destabilise the team with disastrous results. It also saddens me to see so many so called supporters on here who use such abusive and crude language - take a look under the 'Harry' article. I truly believe such foul mouthed individuals lose all credibility and thus their arguments as soon as they put 'pen to paper'. Egomaniac
  • Score: 0

8:15pm Sun 20 Jan 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Oh and my definition of a true Saints fan is one that keeps supporting the team, the Club and the management through thick and thin, despite setbacks, We have been through some seriously bad times, have you forgotten how bad it was when we were on the verge of extinction? Fan power was influential but not exclusive in ridding us of the disease that was ruining the Club, Liebherr and Cortese were the cure, however bad it seems I can never forget that.
Oh and my definition of a true Saints fan is one that keeps supporting the team, the Club and the management through thick and thin, despite setbacks, We have been through some seriously bad times, have you forgotten how bad it was when we were on the verge of extinction? Fan power was influential but not exclusive in ridding us of the disease that was ruining the Club, Liebherr and Cortese were the cure, however bad it seems I can never forget that. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

8:17pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Egomaniac says...

Sorry Osprey - not getting my facts right! Should have read "As I said under the Shona Brooks report"! Still support your comments 100%
Sorry Osprey - not getting my facts right! Should have read "As I said under the Shona Brooks report"! Still support your comments 100% Egomaniac
  • Score: 0

8:28pm Sun 20 Jan 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Egomaniac wrote:
Sorry Osprey - not getting my facts right! Should have read "As I said under the Shona Brooks report"! Still support your comments 100%
Thanks I just hope you are not alone.
[quote][p][bold]Egomaniac[/bold] wrote: Sorry Osprey - not getting my facts right! Should have read "As I said under the Shona Brooks report"! Still support your comments 100%[/p][/quote]Thanks I just hope you are not alone. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

8:30pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Strasbourg Saint says...

Highways and Byways wrote:
As a 40 yr STH I say get behind the team on Mon night . We want to get out of the basement -don't we ?

I was sick for Nigel but .... he'll be disappointed and who knows - another challenge for him beckons for sure

Trying to see it from NC perspective we were right down there only a few weeks ago Give him some credit for 'action '- it speaks louder than all the moaning we normally get on here
Well put!
[quote][p][bold]Highways and Byways[/bold] wrote: As a 40 yr STH I say get behind the team on Mon night . We want to get out of the basement -don't we ? I was sick for Nigel but .... he'll be disappointed and who knows - another challenge for him beckons for sure Trying to see it from NC perspective we were right down there only a few weeks ago Give him some credit for 'action '- it speaks louder than all the moaning we normally get on here[/p][/quote]Well put! Strasbourg Saint
  • Score: 0

8:31pm Sun 20 Jan 13

andysaint says...

I have resisted the temptation to post on NA so far - thought maybe id spend a while wondering what the f uck is going on.
So for what its worth - and i admit that aint alot heres my opinion.
NA - by all accounts geat bloke, excellent man manager and boody good at his job - how far he can go i dont know but i wouldnt be unhappy to see him manage my footy club again one day.
MP - dont know much about him but research on the web seems to indicate to me that NC sees him as an interim manager to get us qualifying for europe. If he gets us there he will be replaced by a more experienced european boss - of that im certain.
so NC - ruthless - no doubt.
he knows what he wants and will do anything to get it - no problem with that - how many top people get there by being nice?
So im sorry for NA - love the bones of him (as he would say), i welcome MP and wish him luck, NC - i really dont think we could have a more motivated and deterimed Chairman.
As for the disgusting hacks who think nothing of hacking the phones of dead/murdered/abduct
ed kids and make their living spreading vile lies - I couldnt care less what they think of our club.
I have resisted the temptation to post on NA so far - thought maybe id spend a while wondering what the f uck is going on. So for what its worth - and i admit that aint alot heres my opinion. NA - by all accounts geat bloke, excellent man manager and boody good at his job - how far he can go i dont know but i wouldnt be unhappy to see him manage my footy club again one day. MP - dont know much about him but research on the web seems to indicate to me that NC sees him as an interim manager to get us qualifying for europe. If he gets us there he will be replaced by a more experienced european boss - of that im certain. so NC - ruthless - no doubt. he knows what he wants and will do anything to get it - no problem with that - how many top people get there by being nice? So im sorry for NA - love the bones of him (as he would say), i welcome MP and wish him luck, NC - i really dont think we could have a more motivated and deterimed Chairman. As for the disgusting hacks who think nothing of hacking the phones of dead/murdered/abduct ed kids and make their living spreading vile lies - I couldnt care less what they think of our club. andysaint
  • Score: 0

8:34pm Sun 20 Jan 13

upwherewebelong says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Oh and my definition of a true Saints fan is one that keeps supporting the team, the Club and the management through thick and thin, despite setbacks, We have been through some seriously bad times, have you forgotten how bad it was when we were on the verge of extinction? Fan power was influential but not exclusive in ridding us of the disease that was ruining the Club, Liebherr and Cortese were the cure, however bad it seems I can never forget that.
Thank you Osprey that reply and the previous one clears up everything for me and I agree we MUST remain united as fans at SMS and inspire the players and no I'd not forgotten about the dark days where extinction looked probable.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: Oh and my definition of a true Saints fan is one that keeps supporting the team, the Club and the management through thick and thin, despite setbacks, We have been through some seriously bad times, have you forgotten how bad it was when we were on the verge of extinction? Fan power was influential but not exclusive in ridding us of the disease that was ruining the Club, Liebherr and Cortese were the cure, however bad it seems I can never forget that.[/p][/quote]Thank you Osprey that reply and the previous one clears up everything for me and I agree we MUST remain united as fans at SMS and inspire the players and no I'd not forgotten about the dark days where extinction looked probable. upwherewebelong
  • Score: 0

8:37pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Scarborosaint says...

Cortese is running a football club with someone else's money lest we forget , so those of you brown nosers who think he is the best thing since sliced bread , he is up there with the venkys, abramovich and any Pompey chairmen you can choose from . Muppet
Cortese is running a football club with someone else's money lest we forget , so those of you brown nosers who think he is the best thing since sliced bread , he is up there with the venkys, abramovich and any Pompey chairmen you can choose from . Muppet Scarborosaint
  • Score: 0

9:42pm Sun 20 Jan 13

AmsterdamSaint says...

upwherewebelong wrote:
oh forgot to add one other question to Osprey.

What is your definition of a "proper Saints fan" is it someone that never expresses and opinion or is concerned about decisions made. ? or is it someone that thinks Cortese can do no wrong and is on a higher level than anyone else in football. ?

Lets be straight you are absolutely 100% right to say we will never know what would have happened had NA stayed. Equally you are right to say we need to be united behind the team. But to dismiss people that are concerned and may have expressed that a little strongly on here as NOT SFC fans I find a little harsh and irrational

This is of course just my opinion and I fully expect people will disagree with me
Quite right. Atkins brought joy to SFC. I have never had such joy in 40 years as a Saints fan. This brutal sacking is not " the Southampton way ".
[quote][p][bold]upwherewebelong[/bold] wrote: oh forgot to add one other question to Osprey. What is your definition of a "proper Saints fan" is it someone that never expresses and opinion or is concerned about decisions made. ? or is it someone that thinks Cortese can do no wrong and is on a higher level than anyone else in football. ? Lets be straight you are absolutely 100% right to say we will never know what would have happened had NA stayed. Equally you are right to say we need to be united behind the team. But to dismiss people that are concerned and may have expressed that a little strongly on here as NOT SFC fans I find a little harsh and irrational This is of course just my opinion and I fully expect people will disagree with me[/p][/quote]Quite right. Atkins brought joy to SFC. I have never had such joy in 40 years as a Saints fan. This brutal sacking is not " the Southampton way ". AmsterdamSaint
  • Score: 0

9:57pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Benali76 says...

Cant disagree with much these pundits/writers say. The assumption you guys all seem to be making is the new guy is what is needed to move us up to the next level, but there is nothing to suggest he has a better chance of doing that than NA. Nothing.

Still what is done is done and all we can do is support the new guy and the team.
Cant disagree with much these pundits/writers say. The assumption you guys all seem to be making is the new guy is what is needed to move us up to the next level, but there is nothing to suggest he has a better chance of doing that than NA. Nothing. Still what is done is done and all we can do is support the new guy and the team. Benali76
  • Score: 0

10:07pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Abbey Saint says...

There is an assumption over the past few days that Cortese has the right to take whatever action he sees fits. Am I missing something - isn't he an employee of the Liebher organisation? If so, I wonder what that family make of their employee's activities and the impact on the reputation of their many companies? It would be a nice touch of ironic come-uppance if he found himself in the same position as he put Nigel in. I can find no evidence that Cortese is anything more than a competent banking middleman with sporting connections. Stripped of all the hype and emotion and looked at clearly, what Cortese has done is at best a huge risk and at worst, well it could cause the Liebhers to think sod this for a game of cowboys. Success at any cost? not for me.
There is an assumption over the past few days that Cortese has the right to take whatever action he sees fits. Am I missing something - isn't he an employee of the Liebher organisation? If so, I wonder what that family make of their employee's activities and the impact on the reputation of their many companies? It would be a nice touch of ironic come-uppance if he found himself in the same position as he put Nigel in. I can find no evidence that Cortese is anything more than a competent banking middleman with sporting connections. Stripped of all the hype and emotion and looked at clearly, what Cortese has done is at best a huge risk and at worst, well it could cause the Liebhers to think sod this for a game of cowboys. Success at any cost? not for me. Abbey Saint
  • Score: 0

10:17pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Dave Brown says...

All these posts about supporting Cortese and the team to prove we are true Saints supporters.
We are the public who pay an amount of money to watch a stable club making every attempt to pave our way in the Premiership.
Cortese has now proved to me that he does not give a toss about the supporters of this club and he does not portray any aspect of loyalty to anyone.
I will never criticise any of the Saints players now if they want to jump ship,
And I can only see some of our up and coming youngsters being sold so the team can be filled with johny foreigners.
So I will vote with my feet if I wish as I did when Lowe destroyed the club.
All these posts about supporting Cortese and the team to prove we are true Saints supporters. We are the public who pay an amount of money to watch a stable club making every attempt to pave our way in the Premiership. Cortese has now proved to me that he does not give a toss about the supporters of this club and he does not portray any aspect of loyalty to anyone. I will never criticise any of the Saints players now if they want to jump ship, And I can only see some of our up and coming youngsters being sold so the team can be filled with johny foreigners. So I will vote with my feet if I wish as I did when Lowe destroyed the club. Dave Brown
  • Score: 0

10:17pm Sun 20 Jan 13

Dave Brown says...

All these posts about supporting Cortese and the team to prove we are true Saints supporters.
We are the public who pay an amount of money to watch a stable club making every attempt to pave our way in the Premiership.
Cortese has now proved to me that he does not give a toss about the supporters of this club and he does not portray any aspect of loyalty to anyone.
I will never criticise any of the Saints players now if they want to jump ship,
And I can only see some of our up and coming youngsters being sold so the team can be filled with johny foreigners.
So I will vote with my feet if I wish as I did when Lowe destroyed the club.
All these posts about supporting Cortese and the team to prove we are true Saints supporters. We are the public who pay an amount of money to watch a stable club making every attempt to pave our way in the Premiership. Cortese has now proved to me that he does not give a toss about the supporters of this club and he does not portray any aspect of loyalty to anyone. I will never criticise any of the Saints players now if they want to jump ship, And I can only see some of our up and coming youngsters being sold so the team can be filled with johny foreigners. So I will vote with my feet if I wish as I did when Lowe destroyed the club. Dave Brown
  • Score: 0

10:52pm Sun 20 Jan 13

City Saint says...

I remain very unhappy with Cortese.

Treating program sellers and locally contacted builders like plebs is unconscionable enough.

Turning around and treating our widely admired -- and plainly humble -- manager like the program sellers and builders is repulsive.

Even if it's the right call, it's the wrong way to run a business.

Nicole Gecko Cortese. Kiss my a**.
I remain very unhappy with Cortese. Treating program sellers and locally contacted builders like plebs is unconscionable enough. Turning around and treating our widely admired -- and plainly humble -- manager like the program sellers and builders is repulsive. Even if it's the right call, it's the wrong way to run a business. Nicole Gecko Cortese. Kiss my a**. City Saint
  • Score: 0

12:28am Mon 21 Jan 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Dave Brown wrote:
All these posts about supporting Cortese and the team to prove we are true Saints supporters.
We are the public who pay an amount of money to watch a stable club making every attempt to pave our way in the Premiership.
Cortese has now proved to me that he does not give a toss about the supporters of this club and he does not portray any aspect of loyalty to anyone.
I will never criticise any of the Saints players now if they want to jump ship,
And I can only see some of our up and coming youngsters being sold so the team can be filled with johny foreigners.
So I will vote with my feet if I wish as I did when Lowe destroyed the club.
Which players did you criticise for jumping ship? Bale, Crouch, Jones, Walcott, Oxo, there have been so many, you must have had a field if all you do is criticise, Cortese has proved to you nothing other than he is the CEO of a Football Club which he is trying to make the best that it can be. Johny foreigner is very disrespectful. So when going got tough with Lowe you wanted to run away, now you want to do it again, and a poster on here called Cortese a coward, frankly compared to you he is nothing of the sort.
[quote][p][bold]Dave Brown[/bold] wrote: All these posts about supporting Cortese and the team to prove we are true Saints supporters. We are the public who pay an amount of money to watch a stable club making every attempt to pave our way in the Premiership. Cortese has now proved to me that he does not give a toss about the supporters of this club and he does not portray any aspect of loyalty to anyone. I will never criticise any of the Saints players now if they want to jump ship, And I can only see some of our up and coming youngsters being sold so the team can be filled with johny foreigners. So I will vote with my feet if I wish as I did when Lowe destroyed the club.[/p][/quote]Which players did you criticise for jumping ship? Bale, Crouch, Jones, Walcott, Oxo, there have been so many, you must have had a field if all you do is criticise, Cortese has proved to you nothing other than he is the CEO of a Football Club which he is trying to make the best that it can be. Johny foreigner is very disrespectful. So when going got tough with Lowe you wanted to run away, now you want to do it again, and a poster on here called Cortese a coward, frankly compared to you he is nothing of the sort. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

12:30am Mon 21 Jan 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

City Saint wrote:
I remain very unhappy with Cortese.

Treating program sellers and locally contacted builders like plebs is unconscionable enough.

Turning around and treating our widely admired -- and plainly humble -- manager like the program sellers and builders is repulsive.

Even if it's the right call, it's the wrong way to run a business.

Nicole Gecko Cortese. Kiss my a**.
I suggest you remove the word Saint from your sign on, it doesn't match your attitude.
[quote][p][bold]City Saint[/bold] wrote: I remain very unhappy with Cortese. Treating program sellers and locally contacted builders like plebs is unconscionable enough. Turning around and treating our widely admired -- and plainly humble -- manager like the program sellers and builders is repulsive. Even if it's the right call, it's the wrong way to run a business. Nicole Gecko Cortese. Kiss my a**.[/p][/quote]I suggest you remove the word Saint from your sign on, it doesn't match your attitude. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

2:12am Mon 21 Jan 13

Galapagos Saint says...

Lay off the Stella, Stan
Lay off the Stella, Stan Galapagos Saint
  • Score: 0

5:58am Mon 21 Jan 13

batesieboy says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Well at least we are actually on the map at last, nice to know they care because they have never done that in the past. Oh well if it sells papers good luck to them, somehow we will have to turn this adverse publicity around, the best way is by roaring the team on to success, tomorrow and every day until the end of the season, and the Press don@T like it they can take a running jump. COYRs STID v
Well said Osprey! Since when is it any business of the tabloid hacks and pundits who most of the time ignore us? I said the same on the BBC web-sites...all those fans of other teams who stated: "I feel sorry for the fans, I hope Saints get relegated, " in the same breath.Get lost, the lot of you, and keep your fact-less opinions to yourself!
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: Well at least we are actually on the map at last, nice to know they care because they have never done that in the past. Oh well if it sells papers good luck to them, somehow we will have to turn this adverse publicity around, the best way is by roaring the team on to success, tomorrow and every day until the end of the season, and the Press don@T like it they can take a running jump. COYRs STID v[/p][/quote]Well said Osprey! Since when is it any business of the tabloid hacks and pundits who most of the time ignore us? I said the same on the BBC web-sites...all those fans of other teams who stated: "I feel sorry for the fans, I hope Saints get relegated, " in the same breath.Get lost, the lot of you, and keep your fact-less opinions to yourself! batesieboy
  • Score: 0

6:07am Mon 21 Jan 13

batesieboy says...

andysaint wrote:
I have resisted the temptation to post on NA so far - thought maybe id spend a while wondering what the f uck is going on.
So for what its worth - and i admit that aint alot heres my opinion.
NA - by all accounts geat bloke, excellent man manager and boody good at his job - how far he can go i dont know but i wouldnt be unhappy to see him manage my footy club again one day.
MP - dont know much about him but research on the web seems to indicate to me that NC sees him as an interim manager to get us qualifying for europe. If he gets us there he will be replaced by a more experienced european boss - of that im certain.
so NC - ruthless - no doubt.
he knows what he wants and will do anything to get it - no problem with that - how many top people get there by being nice?
So im sorry for NA - love the bones of him (as he would say), i welcome MP and wish him luck, NC - i really dont think we could have a more motivated and deterimed Chairman.
As for the disgusting hacks who think nothing of hacking the phones of dead/murdered/abduct

ed kids and make their living spreading vile lies - I couldnt care less what they think of our club.
Your ideas are thoughtful and intelligent. I do not necessarily agree with them all, but they are most welcome!
[quote][p][bold]andysaint[/bold] wrote: I have resisted the temptation to post on NA so far - thought maybe id spend a while wondering what the f uck is going on. So for what its worth - and i admit that aint alot heres my opinion. NA - by all accounts geat bloke, excellent man manager and boody good at his job - how far he can go i dont know but i wouldnt be unhappy to see him manage my footy club again one day. MP - dont know much about him but research on the web seems to indicate to me that NC sees him as an interim manager to get us qualifying for europe. If he gets us there he will be replaced by a more experienced european boss - of that im certain. so NC - ruthless - no doubt. he knows what he wants and will do anything to get it - no problem with that - how many top people get there by being nice? So im sorry for NA - love the bones of him (as he would say), i welcome MP and wish him luck, NC - i really dont think we could have a more motivated and deterimed Chairman. As for the disgusting hacks who think nothing of hacking the phones of dead/murdered/abduct ed kids and make their living spreading vile lies - I couldnt care less what they think of our club.[/p][/quote]Your ideas are thoughtful and intelligent. I do not necessarily agree with them all, but they are most welcome! batesieboy
  • Score: 0

6:11am Mon 21 Jan 13

batesieboy says...

Scarborosaint wrote:
Cortese is running a football club with someone else's money lest we forget , so those of you brown nosers who think he is the best thing since sliced bread , he is up there with the venkys, abramovich and any Pompey chairmen you can choose from . Muppet
He is paid to do this, and is not really answerable to anyone except the Liebherr family: not the players, not other teams' fans, not the Press, not Saints' paying public (fans), not you... whether you like that or not!! Anybody else who does not like it knows what to do.
[quote][p][bold]Scarborosaint[/bold] wrote: Cortese is running a football club with someone else's money lest we forget , so those of you brown nosers who think he is the best thing since sliced bread , he is up there with the venkys, abramovich and any Pompey chairmen you can choose from . Muppet[/p][/quote]He is paid to do this, and is not really answerable to anyone except the Liebherr family: not the players, not other teams' fans, not the Press, not Saints' paying public (fans), not you... whether you like that or not!! Anybody else who does not like it knows what to do. batesieboy
  • Score: 0

6:16am Mon 21 Jan 13

batesieboy says...

Benali76 wrote:
Cant disagree with much these pundits/writers say. The assumption you guys all seem to be making is the new guy is what is needed to move us up to the next level, but there is nothing to suggest he has a better chance of doing that than NA. Nothing.

Still what is done is done and all we can do is support the new guy and the team.
No, that is not what most guys are assuming: we are saying that it is Cortese who calls the shots, and he has not got much wrong yet. When he does, doubtless we'll let him know. Secondly,you say you can't disagree with these journalists opinions based on their views and NOT FACTS.I feel sorry for you, then! (They couldn't care less about Saints , unlike us.)
[quote][p][bold]Benali76[/bold] wrote: Cant disagree with much these pundits/writers say. The assumption you guys all seem to be making is the new guy is what is needed to move us up to the next level, but there is nothing to suggest he has a better chance of doing that than NA. Nothing. Still what is done is done and all we can do is support the new guy and the team.[/p][/quote]No, that is not what most guys are assuming: we are saying that it is Cortese who calls the shots, and he has not got much wrong yet. When he does, doubtless we'll let him know. Secondly,you say you can't disagree with these journalists opinions based on their views and NOT FACTS.I feel sorry for you, then! (They couldn't care less about Saints , unlike us.) batesieboy
  • Score: 0

8:16am Mon 21 Jan 13

Benali76 says...

batesieboy wrote:
Benali76 wrote:
Cant disagree with much these pundits/writers say. The assumption you guys all seem to be making is the new guy is what is needed to move us up to the next level, but there is nothing to suggest he has a better chance of doing that than NA. Nothing.

Still what is done is done and all we can do is support the new guy and the team.
No, that is not what most guys are assuming: we are saying that it is Cortese who calls the shots, and he has not got much wrong yet. When he does, doubtless we'll let him know. Secondly,you say you can't disagree with these journalists opinions based on their views and NOT FACTS.I feel sorry for you, then! (They couldn't care less about Saints , unlike us.)
Yes I agree with their views, based on the fact Adkins did a brilliant job then got sacked. What do you disagree with there? Sure Cortese hasnt got much wrong yet but I think he has done this time. Am i not allowed to say that? No need to feel sorry for me.
[quote][p][bold]batesieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Benali76[/bold] wrote: Cant disagree with much these pundits/writers say. The assumption you guys all seem to be making is the new guy is what is needed to move us up to the next level, but there is nothing to suggest he has a better chance of doing that than NA. Nothing. Still what is done is done and all we can do is support the new guy and the team.[/p][/quote]No, that is not what most guys are assuming: we are saying that it is Cortese who calls the shots, and he has not got much wrong yet. When he does, doubtless we'll let him know. Secondly,you say you can't disagree with these journalists opinions based on their views and NOT FACTS.I feel sorry for you, then! (They couldn't care less about Saints , unlike us.)[/p][/quote]Yes I agree with their views, based on the fact Adkins did a brilliant job then got sacked. What do you disagree with there? Sure Cortese hasnt got much wrong yet but I think he has done this time. Am i not allowed to say that? No need to feel sorry for me. Benali76
  • Score: 0

9:02am Mon 21 Jan 13

Abbey Saint says...

Many posters here take the view that essentially, the end justify the means.
I do hope they don't live their lives by the same rules. That would make the world a much sadder place to live.
Those who say that the fans are the real custodians of the club, past present and future, I believe are right.
I also believe that a new breed of Premiership fan is being developed by financial default - one who can afford to pay the ever iincreasing costs, one who can find time to go to matches at ever more inconvenient times. And sadly, as a consequence of the amount of money swilling around the Premiership, one who can't stop to care too much how and where success comes from. Of course not all supporters are like this, but the trend is there. Put simply, I don't like Cortese - the man or his methods. I don't like what the premiership has become, with its greed and immorality. What happened to Adkins is just plain wrong, and it only took takes good people to do nothing, for people like Cortese to triumph.
Many posters here take the view that essentially, the end justify the means. I do hope they don't live their lives by the same rules. That would make the world a much sadder place to live. Those who say that the fans are the real custodians of the club, past present and future, I believe are right. I also believe that a new breed of Premiership fan is being developed by financial default - one who can afford to pay the ever iincreasing costs, one who can find time to go to matches at ever more inconvenient times. And sadly, as a consequence of the amount of money swilling around the Premiership, one who can't stop to care too much how and where success comes from. Of course not all supporters are like this, but the trend is there. Put simply, I don't like Cortese - the man or his methods. I don't like what the premiership has become, with its greed and immorality. What happened to Adkins is just plain wrong, and it only took takes good people to do nothing, for people like Cortese to triumph. Abbey Saint
  • Score: 0

9:11am Mon 21 Jan 13

Dave Brown says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
All these posts about supporting Cortese and the team to prove we are true Saints supporters.
We are the public who pay an amount of money to watch a stable club making every attempt to pave our way in the Premiership.
Cortese has now proved to me that he does not give a toss about the supporters of this club and he does not portray any aspect of loyalty to anyone.
I will never criticise any of the Saints players now if they want to jump ship,
And I can only see some of our up and coming youngsters being sold so the team can be filled with johny foreigners.
So I will vote with my feet if I wish as I did when Lowe destroyed the club.
Which players did you criticise for jumping ship? Bale, Crouch, Jones, Walcott, Oxo, there have been so many, you must have had a field if all you do is criticise, Cortese has proved to you nothing other than he is the CEO of a Football Club which he is trying to make the best that it can be. Johny foreigner is very disrespectful. So when going got tough with Lowe you wanted to run away, now you want to do it again, and a poster on here called Cortese a coward, frankly compared to you he is nothing of the sort.
In reply to the man who it appears has the only right to post on this site,after witnessing the destruction of this club by Lowe over many years ,I did not run away I took stock of my finances and withdrew my financial support.
This was based on my views of him totally wastin money on sackings and inept signings.
I can see a potential repeat of historical aspects.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dave Brown[/bold] wrote: All these posts about supporting Cortese and the team to prove we are true Saints supporters. We are the public who pay an amount of money to watch a stable club making every attempt to pave our way in the Premiership. Cortese has now proved to me that he does not give a toss about the supporters of this club and he does not portray any aspect of loyalty to anyone. I will never criticise any of the Saints players now if they want to jump ship, And I can only see some of our up and coming youngsters being sold so the team can be filled with johny foreigners. So I will vote with my feet if I wish as I did when Lowe destroyed the club.[/p][/quote]Which players did you criticise for jumping ship? Bale, Crouch, Jones, Walcott, Oxo, there have been so many, you must have had a field if all you do is criticise, Cortese has proved to you nothing other than he is the CEO of a Football Club which he is trying to make the best that it can be. Johny foreigner is very disrespectful. So when going got tough with Lowe you wanted to run away, now you want to do it again, and a poster on here called Cortese a coward, frankly compared to you he is nothing of the sort.[/p][/quote]In reply to the man who it appears has the only right to post on this site,after witnessing the destruction of this club by Lowe over many years ,I did not run away I took stock of my finances and withdrew my financial support. This was based on my views of him totally wastin money on sackings and inept signings. I can see a potential repeat of historical aspects. Dave Brown
  • Score: 0

9:18am Mon 21 Jan 13

Brussels Saint says...

I echo Strassie´s post and ode above.

A couple of things to remember is that NC is first and foremost a businessman. That's how he sold the idea to Markus Liebherr - it wasn't done for charity. It was done as a way - in the long-term to make money. The only way to do that is to rise to the top and compete at the highest level. The higher, the fewer,..............
. the richer
As in the multinational/corpor
ate environment, decisions are taken behind closed doors, staff changes are made suddenly and without warning (quite often on a Friday because by Monday everything and everybody has calmed down and are back to work as usual!) . I know because it's happened to me! NC runs SFC on strictly these lines - that's what he knows and how he does business. Consequently we fans need to accept that he's not going to put everything out in the public eye.
The most important thing is to support the team, more than ever tonight - they need all fans to get behind them and know that we still support them.

Here's to 3 points tonight.......
I echo Strassie´s post and ode above. A couple of things to remember is that NC is first and foremost a businessman. That's how he sold the idea to Markus Liebherr - it wasn't done for charity. It was done as a way - in the long-term to make money. The only way to do that is to rise to the top and compete at the highest level. The higher, the fewer,.............. . the richer As in the multinational/corpor ate environment, decisions are taken behind closed doors, staff changes are made suddenly and without warning (quite often on a Friday because by Monday everything and everybody has calmed down and are back to work as usual!) . I know because it's happened to me! NC runs SFC on strictly these lines - that's what he knows and how he does business. Consequently we fans need to accept that he's not going to put everything out in the public eye. The most important thing is to support the team, more than ever tonight - they need all fans to get behind them and know that we still support them. Here's to 3 points tonight....... Brussels Saint
  • Score: 0

9:37am Mon 21 Jan 13

batesieboy says...

Benali76 wrote:
batesieboy wrote:
Benali76 wrote:
Cant disagree with much these pundits/writers say. The assumption you guys all seem to be making is the new guy is what is needed to move us up to the next level, but there is nothing to suggest he has a better chance of doing that than NA. Nothing.

Still what is done is done and all we can do is support the new guy and the team.
No, that is not what most guys are assuming: we are saying that it is Cortese who calls the shots, and he has not got much wrong yet. When he does, doubtless we'll let him know. Secondly,you say you can't disagree with these journalists opinions based on their views and NOT FACTS.I feel sorry for you, then! (They couldn't care less about Saints , unlike us.)
Yes I agree with their views, based on the fact Adkins did a brilliant job then got sacked. What do you disagree with there? Sure Cortese hasnt got much wrong yet but I think he has done this time. Am i not allowed to say that? No need to feel sorry for me.
I disagree with your "fact" that "Adkins did a brilliant job". I am not sure of the timing, but I am pretty sure that NA was on borrowed time for quite a while due to inept tactics (losses to West Brom, West Ham, Sunderland which were all three totally abject performances just for a start. I don't suppose NA liked it much that he was not really being consulted regarding recruits (the Les Reed job was always going to be a threat) we will never know the half of it! That's my main "fact" and probably the only fact.
[quote][p][bold]Benali76[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]batesieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Benali76[/bold] wrote: Cant disagree with much these pundits/writers say. The assumption you guys all seem to be making is the new guy is what is needed to move us up to the next level, but there is nothing to suggest he has a better chance of doing that than NA. Nothing. Still what is done is done and all we can do is support the new guy and the team.[/p][/quote]No, that is not what most guys are assuming: we are saying that it is Cortese who calls the shots, and he has not got much wrong yet. When he does, doubtless we'll let him know. Secondly,you say you can't disagree with these journalists opinions based on their views and NOT FACTS.I feel sorry for you, then! (They couldn't care less about Saints , unlike us.)[/p][/quote]Yes I agree with their views, based on the fact Adkins did a brilliant job then got sacked. What do you disagree with there? Sure Cortese hasnt got much wrong yet but I think he has done this time. Am i not allowed to say that? No need to feel sorry for me.[/p][/quote]I disagree with your "fact" that "Adkins did a brilliant job". I am not sure of the timing, but I am pretty sure that NA was on borrowed time for quite a while due to inept tactics (losses to West Brom, West Ham, Sunderland which were all three totally abject performances just for a start. I don't suppose NA liked it much that he was not really being consulted regarding recruits (the Les Reed job was always going to be a threat) we will never know the half of it! That's my main "fact" and probably the only fact. batesieboy
  • Score: 0

9:59am Mon 21 Jan 13

Benali76 says...

I am stunned that anyone could say overall Adkins hasnt done a brilliant job. He took us up twice on the bounce and now we are on schedule to stay up - the aim of this season surely. By picking out a handful of games to make a claim he has not been so good is not a solid argument. By that standard no manager in history has ever been brilliant. Certainly, and this is the point, there is no reason at all to think the new man would be any better. With that in mind the sour taste this leaves will no doubt create a bad atmosphere around the club when a few results dont go our way. Lets be honest fans are hyper critical these days - for proof i refer to your last post. Let's all hope I am wrong and this guy is the business, he will need to be.
I am stunned that anyone could say overall Adkins hasnt done a brilliant job. He took us up twice on the bounce and now we are on schedule to stay up - the aim of this season surely. By picking out a handful of games to make a claim he has not been so good is not a solid argument. By that standard no manager in history has ever been brilliant. Certainly, and this is the point, there is no reason at all to think the new man would be any better. With that in mind the sour taste this leaves will no doubt create a bad atmosphere around the club when a few results dont go our way. Lets be honest fans are hyper critical these days - for proof i refer to your last post. Let's all hope I am wrong and this guy is the business, he will need to be. Benali76
  • Score: 0

4:38pm Mon 21 Jan 13

batesieboy says...

Benali76 wrote:
I am stunned that anyone could say overall Adkins hasnt done a brilliant job. He took us up twice on the bounce and now we are on schedule to stay up - the aim of this season surely. By picking out a handful of games to make a claim he has not been so good is not a solid argument. By that standard no manager in history has ever been brilliant. Certainly, and this is the point, there is no reason at all to think the new man would be any better. With that in mind the sour taste this leaves will no doubt create a bad atmosphere around the club when a few results dont go our way. Lets be honest fans are hyper critical these days - for proof i refer to your last post. Let's all hope I am wrong and this guy is the business, he will need to be.
Here's a fact for you...19 points lost from winning positions, usually following an inept tactical blunder or two by "brilliant" Nige! Another one...decide on a goalkeeper, you used to be one, Nige!! I could go on...I totally agree with your last sentence.
[quote][p][bold]Benali76[/bold] wrote: I am stunned that anyone could say overall Adkins hasnt done a brilliant job. He took us up twice on the bounce and now we are on schedule to stay up - the aim of this season surely. By picking out a handful of games to make a claim he has not been so good is not a solid argument. By that standard no manager in history has ever been brilliant. Certainly, and this is the point, there is no reason at all to think the new man would be any better. With that in mind the sour taste this leaves will no doubt create a bad atmosphere around the club when a few results dont go our way. Lets be honest fans are hyper critical these days - for proof i refer to your last post. Let's all hope I am wrong and this guy is the business, he will need to be.[/p][/quote]Here's a fact for you...19 points lost from winning positions, usually following an inept tactical blunder or two by "brilliant" Nige! Another one...decide on a goalkeeper, you used to be one, Nige!! I could go on...I totally agree with your last sentence. batesieboy
  • Score: 0

5:39pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Thornhill Saint says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
City Saint wrote:
I remain very unhappy with Cortese.

Treating program sellers and locally contacted builders like plebs is unconscionable enough.

Turning around and treating our widely admired -- and plainly humble -- manager like the program sellers and builders is repulsive.

Even if it's the right call, it's the wrong way to run a business.

Nicole Gecko Cortese. Kiss my a**.
I suggest you remove the word Saint from your sign on, it doesn't match your attitude.
A bit harsh.

City Saint is clearly upset. Though I don't necassarily agree with him, it's no worse than what a lot of others have posted over the past few days.

Can't wait to get down there tonight. Good to see some positivity finally from the Echo. Lets get behind the Saints!!!!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]City Saint[/bold] wrote: I remain very unhappy with Cortese. Treating program sellers and locally contacted builders like plebs is unconscionable enough. Turning around and treating our widely admired -- and plainly humble -- manager like the program sellers and builders is repulsive. Even if it's the right call, it's the wrong way to run a business. Nicole Gecko Cortese. Kiss my a**.[/p][/quote]I suggest you remove the word Saint from your sign on, it doesn't match your attitude.[/p][/quote]A bit harsh. City Saint is clearly upset. Though I don't necassarily agree with him, it's no worse than what a lot of others have posted over the past few days. Can't wait to get down there tonight. Good to see some positivity finally from the Echo. Lets get behind the Saints!!!!!!!! Thornhill Saint
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree