Saints On This Day – March 4 1950: Saints 3 Cardiff 1 Jimmy McGowan scored a debut goal as the Saints beat Cardiff at The Dell in a Division Two game.

Eric Day had opened the scoring for the hosts within five minutes before McGowan netted just six minutes later. Ted Bates added a third for the home side late on.

1967: Saints 0 Leeds 2 Saints endured a difficult afternoon as they conceded two goals in the first 20 minutes of this top flight encounter, John Giles and Jack Charlton on target.

1972: Leeds 7 Saints 0 Full back Roger Fry took much of the blame after this humiliating defeat at Elland Road and was never to play for Saints again.

The highlight from this infamous defeat was a 32 pass move involving the whole Leeds team, except Jack Charlton.

Peter Lorimer (3), Allan Clarke (2), Charlton and Mike Jones netted.

1978: Sunderland 0 Saints 0 John Sharpe made his final appearance for Saints in a bore Second Division draw against Sunderland.

1995: Saints 0 Coventry 0 Saints did everything but score as they battered the Coventry goal during a 0-0 draw at The Dell. This game saw defender Jeff Kenna play his final game for the Saints.

2000: Saints 1 Middlesbrough 1 Saints led for less than a minute as they were held to a dull 1-1 draw against Middlesbrough.

This game saw the final appearance of Luis Boa Morte who came on as a second half sub.

Marian Pahars fired Saints into a 44th minute lead before the visitors won themselves a penalty for a foul by Claus Lundekvam which Hamilton Ricard duly dispatched.

2006: Saints 1 Coventry 1 An 88th minute penalty from Don Hutchinson earned Coventry a point at St Mary’s. Saints thought they had won it nine minutes before the end when Grzegorz Raziak fired them in front.

2008: Wolves 2 Saints 2 Jason Euell snatched a 90th minute equaliser as ten men Saints earned a credible draw at Molinuex. Sylvain Ebanks Blake had put the home side in front before a Gregory Vignal penalty levelled things up.

Vignal then went from hero to villain as he was shown a red card just minutes before Ebanks Blake restored the home side’s lead with two minutes remaining. There was still time, though, for Euell to salvage a point for Nigel Pearson’s men.