Adam Lallana annoyed by criticism of him after Southampton's' complaint against Mark Clattenburg

Daily Echo: Adam Lallana talks to Mark Clattenburg after Saints' loss at Everton last month Adam Lallana talks to Mark Clattenburg after Saints' loss at Everton last month

Adam Lallana was irritated by the criticism aimed at him following Saints complaint against referee Mark Clattenburg.

That is according to goalkeeper Kelvin Davis, who spoke to the media ahead of tomorrow's Premier League game with West Bromwich Albion at St Mary's.

The club's complaint about Clattenburg's alleged remarks during the Premier League defeat by Everton on December 29 was thrown out by the Football Association and the referees' governing body Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL).

The official was accused of telling Lallana: "You are very different now, since you've played for England - you never used to be like this."

Despite the club rather than the player raising the matter, Lallana has been widely ridiculed, something that initially upset the attacking midfielder.

However, club captain Davis has been impressed by his response, highlighting his decisive strike in last weekend's 4-3 FA Cup defeat of Burnley as a sign of his resilience.

"I think for the first day he was a bit like 'why is everyone coming for me?'," he said.

"He made a remark after the game, conversations happen and the end result was the end result.

"But anyone that knows Adam knows that first of all he is a good pro, a good lad, a good person.

"I think after the first day or two he realised that himself, that he hadn't done anything wrong, he shouldn't be feeling anything negative about himself and then he banged a goal in against Burnley.

"That kind of epitomises where he is mentally."

Davis captained the side at Goodison Park and hopes everyone can "move on" from the Clattenburg debate, allowing team-mate Lallana's talent to be focused upon.

A place in England's World Cup squad is looking increasingly likely for the Saints academy graduate as his rise from League One to be one of the country's best continues apace.

"As he gets older, he has got that bit of belief that what he was doing in the Championship he can step up and do at a higher level," said Davis, who was in goal when Lallana made his Saints debut against Yeovil in a League Cup tie in August 2006.

"I think as well when he first had the Southampton armband, you could see it kind of held him back a little bit. But now the way he has matured, he doesn't find that a weight now.

"Again, that comes down to belief.

"The manager coming in at the time he did and working closely with him has helped.

"The way he has been treated from the very top of the club with his new contract has helped the way he has developed, with the England call-up probably that final turning point in his head.

"He has a real opportunity to really become a very good player at this level, so he is obviously great to have around the place."

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:58pm Fri 10 Jan 14

lowemustgo says...

What would Jesus do? :)))))
What would Jesus do? :))))) lowemustgo

4:03pm Fri 10 Jan 14

bigfella777 says...

Hopefully Davis can go back to bed for the rest of the season and get his head down now Boruc is back.
Hopefully Davis can go back to bed for the rest of the season and get his head down now Boruc is back. bigfella777

4:36pm Fri 10 Jan 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

The ridicule would have happened whether or not there was a complaint made by the Club or the player, the remarks by Clottenburg may have been a misguided attempt at a jest at the players discomfort, it would still have been picked up by the gutter press, which is good reason he shouldn't have said it in the first place. The are many self gratifying numbnuts that take great delight at having a go at anyone, irrespective of whether they have any facts to work from and some of the comments on here and other Forums have beggared belief in their stupidity.
The ridicule would have happened whether or not there was a complaint made by the Club or the player, the remarks by Clottenburg may have been a misguided attempt at a jest at the players discomfort, it would still have been picked up by the gutter press, which is good reason he shouldn't have said it in the first place. The are many self gratifying numbnuts that take great delight at having a go at anyone, irrespective of whether they have any facts to work from and some of the comments on here and other Forums have beggared belief in their stupidity. OSPREYSAINT

4:38pm Fri 10 Jan 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

bigfella777 wrote:
Hopefully Davis can go back to bed for the rest of the season and get his head down now Boruc is back.
Show a bit of respect for a long term Player that has given his all for his Club or stay in bed yourself.
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: Hopefully Davis can go back to bed for the rest of the season and get his head down now Boruc is back.[/p][/quote]Show a bit of respect for a long term Player that has given his all for his Club or stay in bed yourself. OSPREYSAINT

4:53pm Fri 10 Jan 14

zurichboy says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
Hopefully Davis can go back to bed for the rest of the season and get his head down now Boruc is back.
Show a bit of respect for a long term Player that has given his all for his Club or stay in bed yourself.
Quite right.....
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: Hopefully Davis can go back to bed for the rest of the season and get his head down now Boruc is back.[/p][/quote]Show a bit of respect for a long term Player that has given his all for his Club or stay in bed yourself.[/p][/quote]Quite right..... zurichboy

5:27pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Strasbourg Saint says...

Judging by that picture above, the Everton player out of picture is going in high on the lino. NOT EVEN A TALKING TO!!!! Talk about double standards.

I bet that Everton player is very different now, since he started playing in orange boots - you never used to be like this.
Judging by that picture above, the Everton player out of picture is going in high on the lino. NOT EVEN A TALKING TO!!!! Talk about double standards. I bet that Everton player is very different now, since he started playing in orange boots - you never used to be like this. Strasbourg Saint

6:17pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Skating on thin ice says...

Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.
Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on. Skating on thin ice

6:35pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Folkestone Saint says...

Skating on thin ice wrote:
Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.
Like a princess from YOUR little pony, what else did you get for Christmas, on second thoughts don't answer.

Double standards here I think, if Adam had said a similar thing to clottenburk he would most likely have got a card for it, it's about time ref's were accountable.
[quote][p][bold]Skating on thin ice[/bold] wrote: Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.[/p][/quote]Like a princess from YOUR little pony, what else did you get for Christmas, on second thoughts don't answer. Double standards here I think, if Adam had said a similar thing to clottenburk he would most likely have got a card for it, it's about time ref's were accountable. Folkestone Saint

6:49pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Crossley Place Saint says...

Everybody involved with this petty saga needs to put it behind them. The FA has strict rules against bringing the game into disrepute: specifically where it is alleged that comments have “called into question the integrity of the match referee, and/or implied that the match referee was motivated by bias”. Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers made comments to the effect that his team are up against the referee and match officials as well as their opponents, and suggested restrictions on which referees should be appointed for Liverpool’s future games. Result: he was charged by the FA and heavily fined. Manchester United’s David Moyes has now made similar comments, and he has also been charged by the FA. Saints’ behaviour is very similar; the only real difference being that the complaint was made in writing by “the club” instead of verbally by a manager in the heat of a post-match TV interview. Arguably that makes it even worse…

We have suggested that a certain referee should not be appointed to our games. The fact is that referees are assigned to matches by an independent process and we are not going to get that changed by questioning its integrity without real evidence. Honestly, to read some of the comments on here (especially on the live match threads) you would think that referees deny us at least two stone-wall penalties every match. Maybe this fixation and obsession with penalties originates in SRL’s unmatched record of converting them all into goals?

As for Adam, although he claims not to have said anything himself, he has been made to look a laughing stock. The “Princess Pony” jibe by that idiot Skate WUM above is actually quite mild compared to some of the things that are online and being said about Adam.

And the whole saga won’t have gone unnoticed by Roy Hodgson, who will choose England’s players for Brazil 2014 at least in part on the basis of who has the maturity and mental toughness to flourish for the duration of a long and difficult World Cup campaign.
Everybody involved with this petty saga needs to put it behind them. The FA has strict rules against bringing the game into disrepute: specifically where it is alleged that comments have “called into question the integrity of the match referee, and/or implied that the match referee was motivated by bias”. Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers made comments to the effect that his team are up against the referee and match officials as well as their opponents, and suggested restrictions on which referees should be appointed for Liverpool’s future games. Result: he was charged by the FA and heavily fined. Manchester United’s David Moyes has now made similar comments, and he has also been charged by the FA. Saints’ behaviour is very similar; the only real difference being that the complaint was made in writing by “the club” instead of verbally by a manager in the heat of a post-match TV interview. Arguably that makes it even worse… We have suggested that a certain referee should not be appointed to our games. The fact is that referees are assigned to matches by an independent process and we are not going to get that changed by questioning its integrity without real evidence. Honestly, to read some of the comments on here (especially on the live match threads) you would think that referees deny us at least two stone-wall penalties every match. Maybe this fixation and obsession with penalties originates in SRL’s unmatched record of converting them all into goals? As for Adam, although he claims not to have said anything himself, he has been made to look a laughing stock. The “Princess Pony” jibe by that idiot Skate WUM above is actually quite mild compared to some of the things that are online and being said about Adam. And the whole saga won’t have gone unnoticed by Roy Hodgson, who will choose England’s players for Brazil 2014 at least in part on the basis of who has the maturity and mental toughness to flourish for the duration of a long and difficult World Cup campaign. Crossley Place Saint

7:22pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...

Skating on thin ice wrote:
Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.
You continue to show your inbreed illiteracy, although we shouldn't be surprised by that. Adam has mentioned these remarks in the dressing room, no doubt with a smile on his face. The club has seen a fantastic opportunity to keep Cretinberk away from our games and therefore has maxed its advantage with its actions. Show us a quote from Adam personally complaining - oh you can't because he didn't. Fool.

Come on Oxford you can beat this sh1t.
[quote][p][bold]Skating on thin ice[/bold] wrote: Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.[/p][/quote]You continue to show your inbreed illiteracy, although we shouldn't be surprised by that. Adam has mentioned these remarks in the dressing room, no doubt with a smile on his face. The club has seen a fantastic opportunity to keep Cretinberk away from our games and therefore has maxed its advantage with its actions. Show us a quote from Adam personally complaining - oh you can't because he didn't. Fool. Come on Oxford you can beat this sh1t. Seedhouse the Unrepentant

7:37pm Fri 10 Jan 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Skating on thin ice wrote:
Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.
Take your own advice, you are as welcome on here as Clottenburk himself.
[quote][p][bold]Skating on thin ice[/bold] wrote: Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.[/p][/quote]Take your own advice, you are as welcome on here as Clottenburk himself. OSPREYSAINT

7:39pm Fri 10 Jan 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Folkestone Saint wrote:
Skating on thin ice wrote:
Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.
Like a princess from YOUR little pony, what else did you get for Christmas, on second thoughts don't answer.

Double standards here I think, if Adam had said a similar thing to clottenburk he would most likely have got a card for it, it's about time ref's were accountable.
He did get a card, it was yellow for protesting about Clottenburks mistake with the penalty decision.
[quote][p][bold]Folkestone Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Skating on thin ice[/bold] wrote: Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.[/p][/quote]Like a princess from YOUR little pony, what else did you get for Christmas, on second thoughts don't answer. Double standards here I think, if Adam had said a similar thing to clottenburk he would most likely have got a card for it, it's about time ref's were accountable.[/p][/quote]He did get a card, it was yellow for protesting about Clottenburks mistake with the penalty decision. OSPREYSAINT

8:04pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Confucious says...

Is there an official organisation to which I can write to lodge a complaint about regular abusive language I receive from my missus?
Is there an official organisation to which I can write to lodge a complaint about regular abusive language I receive from my missus? Confucious

8:08pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...

Confucious wrote:
Is there an official organisation to which I can write to lodge a complaint about regular abusive language I receive from my missus?
Try Paris Smith!
[quote][p][bold]Confucious[/bold] wrote: Is there an official organisation to which I can write to lodge a complaint about regular abusive language I receive from my missus?[/p][/quote]Try Paris Smith! Seedhouse the Unrepentant

8:18pm Fri 10 Jan 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Confucious wrote:
Is there an official organisation to which I can write to lodge a complaint about regular abusive language I receive from my missus?
RELATE?
[quote][p][bold]Confucious[/bold] wrote: Is there an official organisation to which I can write to lodge a complaint about regular abusive language I receive from my missus?[/p][/quote]RELATE? OSPREYSAINT

8:48pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Confucious says...

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
Confucious wrote:
Is there an official organisation to which I can write to lodge a complaint about regular abusive language I receive from my missus?
Try Paris Smith!
I did, but they said she was entitled to say "You weren't like this before we got married" when I admitted that I didn't blow off at the dinner table before we got married.
[quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Confucious[/bold] wrote: Is there an official organisation to which I can write to lodge a complaint about regular abusive language I receive from my missus?[/p][/quote]Try Paris Smith![/p][/quote]I did, but they said she was entitled to say "You weren't like this before we got married" when I admitted that I didn't blow off at the dinner table before we got married. Confucious

9:32pm Fri 10 Jan 14

DisplacedFan says...

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
Skating on thin ice wrote:
Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.
You continue to show your inbreed illiteracy, although we shouldn't be surprised by that. Adam has mentioned these remarks in the dressing room, no doubt with a smile on his face. The club has seen a fantastic opportunity to keep Cretinberk away from our games and therefore has maxed its advantage with its actions. Show us a quote from Adam personally complaining - oh you can't because he didn't. Fool.

Come on Oxford you can beat this sh1t.
Say it like it is, Seed!
[quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Skating on thin ice[/bold] wrote: Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.[/p][/quote]You continue to show your inbreed illiteracy, although we shouldn't be surprised by that. Adam has mentioned these remarks in the dressing room, no doubt with a smile on his face. The club has seen a fantastic opportunity to keep Cretinberk away from our games and therefore has maxed its advantage with its actions. Show us a quote from Adam personally complaining - oh you can't because he didn't. Fool. Come on Oxford you can beat this sh1t.[/p][/quote]Say it like it is, Seed! DisplacedFan

9:34pm Fri 10 Jan 14

DisplacedFan says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Skating on thin ice wrote:
Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.
Take your own advice, you are as welcome on here as Clottenburk himself.
Pony, sister, they all mean the same thing to them.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Skating on thin ice[/bold] wrote: Precious Adam needs to realise that a couple of games in an England shirt don't entitle him to behave like a Princess from My Little Pony. Shut up and move on.[/p][/quote]Take your own advice, you are as welcome on here as Clottenburk himself.[/p][/quote]Pony, sister, they all mean the same thing to them. DisplacedFan

9:34pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Velleity says...

Crossley Place Saint wrote:
Everybody involved with this petty saga needs to put it behind them. The FA has strict rules against bringing the game into disrepute: specifically where it is alleged that comments have “called into question the integrity of the match referee, and/or implied that the match referee was motivated by bias”. Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers made comments to the effect that his team are up against the referee and match officials as well as their opponents, and suggested restrictions on which referees should be appointed for Liverpool’s future games. Result: he was charged by the FA and heavily fined. Manchester United’s David Moyes has now made similar comments, and he has also been charged by the FA. Saints’ behaviour is very similar; the only real difference being that the complaint was made in writing by “the club” instead of verbally by a manager in the heat of a post-match TV interview. Arguably that makes it even worse…

We have suggested that a certain referee should not be appointed to our games. The fact is that referees are assigned to matches by an independent process and we are not going to get that changed by questioning its integrity without real evidence. Honestly, to read some of the comments on here (especially on the live match threads) you would think that referees deny us at least two stone-wall penalties every match. Maybe this fixation and obsession with penalties originates in SRL’s unmatched record of converting them all into goals?

As for Adam, although he claims not to have said anything himself, he has been made to look a laughing stock. The “Princess Pony” jibe by that idiot Skate WUM above is actually quite mild compared to some of the things that are online and being said about Adam.

And the whole saga won’t have gone unnoticed by Roy Hodgson, who will choose England’s players for Brazil 2014 at least in part on the basis of who has the maturity and mental toughness to flourish for the duration of a long and difficult World Cup campaign.
" The fact is that referees are assigned to matches by an independent process and we are not going to get that changed by questioning its integrity without real evidence."

That'll be why Clattenburg didn't go to Goodison for six years after his performance in the Liverpool derby match in 2007, will it?
[quote][p][bold]Crossley Place Saint[/bold] wrote: Everybody involved with this petty saga needs to put it behind them. The FA has strict rules against bringing the game into disrepute: specifically where it is alleged that comments have “called into question the integrity of the match referee, and/or implied that the match referee was motivated by bias”. Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers made comments to the effect that his team are up against the referee and match officials as well as their opponents, and suggested restrictions on which referees should be appointed for Liverpool’s future games. Result: he was charged by the FA and heavily fined. Manchester United’s David Moyes has now made similar comments, and he has also been charged by the FA. Saints’ behaviour is very similar; the only real difference being that the complaint was made in writing by “the club” instead of verbally by a manager in the heat of a post-match TV interview. Arguably that makes it even worse… We have suggested that a certain referee should not be appointed to our games. The fact is that referees are assigned to matches by an independent process and we are not going to get that changed by questioning its integrity without real evidence. Honestly, to read some of the comments on here (especially on the live match threads) you would think that referees deny us at least two stone-wall penalties every match. Maybe this fixation and obsession with penalties originates in SRL’s unmatched record of converting them all into goals? As for Adam, although he claims not to have said anything himself, he has been made to look a laughing stock. The “Princess Pony” jibe by that idiot Skate WUM above is actually quite mild compared to some of the things that are online and being said about Adam. And the whole saga won’t have gone unnoticed by Roy Hodgson, who will choose England’s players for Brazil 2014 at least in part on the basis of who has the maturity and mental toughness to flourish for the duration of a long and difficult World Cup campaign.[/p][/quote]" The fact is that referees are assigned to matches by an independent process and we are not going to get that changed by questioning its integrity without real evidence." That'll be why Clattenburg didn't go to Goodison for six years after his performance in the Liverpool derby match in 2007, will it? Velleity

9:35pm Fri 10 Jan 14

el caballo santos101 says...

Crossley Place Saint wrote:
Everybody involved with this petty saga needs to put it behind them. The FA has strict rules against bringing the game into disrepute: specifically where it is alleged that comments have “called into question the integrity of the match referee, and/or implied that the match referee was motivated by bias”. Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers made comments to the effect that his team are up against the referee and match officials as well as their opponents, and suggested restrictions on which referees should be appointed for Liverpool’s future games. Result: he was charged by the FA and heavily fined. Manchester United’s David Moyes has now made similar comments, and he has also been charged by the FA. Saints’ behaviour is very similar; the only real difference being that the complaint was made in writing by “the club” instead of verbally by a manager in the heat of a post-match TV interview. Arguably that makes it even worse…

We have suggested that a certain referee should not be appointed to our games. The fact is that referees are assigned to matches by an independent process and we are not going to get that changed by questioning its integrity without real evidence. Honestly, to read some of the comments on here (especially on the live match threads) you would think that referees deny us at least two stone-wall penalties every match. Maybe this fixation and obsession with penalties originates in SRL’s unmatched record of converting them all into goals?

As for Adam, although he claims not to have said anything himself, he has been made to look a laughing stock. The “Princess Pony” jibe by that idiot Skate WUM above is actually quite mild compared to some of the things that are online and being said about Adam.

And the whole saga won’t have gone unnoticed by Roy Hodgson, who will choose England’s players for Brazil 2014 at least in part on the basis of who has the maturity and mental toughness to flourish for the duration of a long and difficult World Cup campaign.
so making an official complaint about a ref shouldn't be allowed then? even when a ref has consistently made huge, game changing, howlers against the same team, and then goes on to voice personal opinions about a player which may have influenced his decision making? there is also real evidence of his integrity, look at the games hes been our ref, and then look at the awful decisions made against us and not for us. once or twice would be unfortunate, but to make howlers in every game? you have to start to question that, don't you?
what should the club do? what recourse should clubs be allowed?
if as you claim refs are assigned by an independent process, why did clutterbrain not get assigned to an everton game for 6 years after making huge, game changing, wrong decisions against everton in a home derby against Liverpool? after United lost was away to Chelsea, Martin Atkinson was the referee then, some of his decisions incurred the wrath of Alex Ferguson. Atkinson was not given another United game to referee for an ENTIRE YEAR. Atkinson was further punished with his decisions that went against United that day. He was not given a single Premier League game to referee for a full month. Even worse, he was subsequently given 3 lower league games to referee that season- when he’d previously not officiated a single one that campaign. United last loss of the 2010/11 season came at the Emirates, where Chris Foy refereed a 1-0 Arsenal win. It will come to no surprise to people to know that Foy was subsequently not assigned a United league game for, again, AN ENTIRE YEAR. so why are some clubs/managers allowed to complain, and not get refs assigned for a long time but not us? chelski made a private complaint against clutterbrain for an alleged racist comment and he was again cleared but didn't ref another chelski game for over 6 months? Mike Jones refereed a 1-1 home draw with Newcastle and falsely awarded Demba Ba a penalty. Subsequently, Jones was not given a single football game, at ANY level, to referee for an entire month. The next United game he was handed came a few months later, the 2-0 home win against Stoke which saw… You guessed it: 2 penalties awarded to Manchester United which, according to reports, were “very soft”.
refs are allowed to make mistakes against some clubs but not certain others.
it isn't worse for a club to make a written complaint through the proper channels, clubs are allowed to do it as its the correct procedure. which is why managers who spout off in a post match interview get hammered by the FA.
posters don't claim that we should be awarded `at least 2 stone wall penalties every match`. what we do ask for is fairness, every pundit after the everton game stated that saints should have had at least 1 penalty, which was the handball that clutterbrain saw but didn't award, and for which he booked lalla for complaining. did he have the fact that he hadn't reffed their for six years, after upsetting everton, on his mind? and he didn't want to up upset them again?
I don't think roy would even consider this when picking his world cup squad, how many players have caused controversy prior to competitions and still been picked? if he was to consider maturity when picking the squad then rooney, ash cole and john terry, amongst others, would never have gone to any tournament.
oh by the way, I don't care who`s on the pitch when I appeal for a penalty, I look at who`s going to take it after the award. I suspect most if not all are the same. who, looking at say that handball at everton would not have appealed if SRL wasn't on the pitch?
[quote][p][bold]Crossley Place Saint[/bold] wrote: Everybody involved with this petty saga needs to put it behind them. The FA has strict rules against bringing the game into disrepute: specifically where it is alleged that comments have “called into question the integrity of the match referee, and/or implied that the match referee was motivated by bias”. Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers made comments to the effect that his team are up against the referee and match officials as well as their opponents, and suggested restrictions on which referees should be appointed for Liverpool’s future games. Result: he was charged by the FA and heavily fined. Manchester United’s David Moyes has now made similar comments, and he has also been charged by the FA. Saints’ behaviour is very similar; the only real difference being that the complaint was made in writing by “the club” instead of verbally by a manager in the heat of a post-match TV interview. Arguably that makes it even worse… We have suggested that a certain referee should not be appointed to our games. The fact is that referees are assigned to matches by an independent process and we are not going to get that changed by questioning its integrity without real evidence. Honestly, to read some of the comments on here (especially on the live match threads) you would think that referees deny us at least two stone-wall penalties every match. Maybe this fixation and obsession with penalties originates in SRL’s unmatched record of converting them all into goals? As for Adam, although he claims not to have said anything himself, he has been made to look a laughing stock. The “Princess Pony” jibe by that idiot Skate WUM above is actually quite mild compared to some of the things that are online and being said about Adam. And the whole saga won’t have gone unnoticed by Roy Hodgson, who will choose England’s players for Brazil 2014 at least in part on the basis of who has the maturity and mental toughness to flourish for the duration of a long and difficult World Cup campaign.[/p][/quote]so making an official complaint about a ref shouldn't be allowed then? even when a ref has consistently made huge, game changing, howlers against the same team, and then goes on to voice personal opinions about a player which may have influenced his decision making? there is also real evidence of his integrity, look at the games hes been our ref, and then look at the awful decisions made against us and not for us. once or twice would be unfortunate, but to make howlers in every game? you have to start to question that, don't you? what should the club do? what recourse should clubs be allowed? if as you claim refs are assigned by an independent process, why did clutterbrain not get assigned to an everton game for 6 years after making huge, game changing, wrong decisions against everton in a home derby against Liverpool? after United lost was away to Chelsea, Martin Atkinson was the referee then, some of his decisions incurred the wrath of Alex Ferguson. Atkinson was not given another United game to referee for an ENTIRE YEAR. Atkinson was further punished with his decisions that went against United that day. He was not given a single Premier League game to referee for a full month. Even worse, he was subsequently given 3 lower league games to referee that season- when he’d previously not officiated a single one that campaign. United last loss of the 2010/11 season came at the Emirates, where Chris Foy refereed a 1-0 Arsenal win. It will come to no surprise to people to know that Foy was subsequently not assigned a United league game for, again, AN ENTIRE YEAR. so why are some clubs/managers allowed to complain, and not get refs assigned for a long time but not us? chelski made a private complaint against clutterbrain for an alleged racist comment and he was again cleared but didn't ref another chelski game for over 6 months? Mike Jones refereed a 1-1 home draw with Newcastle and falsely awarded Demba Ba a penalty. Subsequently, Jones was not given a single football game, at ANY level, to referee for an entire month. The next United game he was handed came a few months later, the 2-0 home win against Stoke which saw… You guessed it: 2 penalties awarded to Manchester United which, according to reports, were “very soft”. refs are allowed to make mistakes against some clubs but not certain others. it isn't worse for a club to make a written complaint through the proper channels, clubs are allowed to do it as its the correct procedure. which is why managers who spout off in a post match interview get hammered by the FA. posters don't claim that we should be awarded `at least 2 stone wall penalties every match`. what we do ask for is fairness, every pundit after the everton game stated that saints should have had at least 1 penalty, which was the handball that clutterbrain saw but didn't award, and for which he booked lalla for complaining. did he have the fact that he hadn't reffed their for six years, after upsetting everton, on his mind? and he didn't want to up upset them again? I don't think roy would even consider this when picking his world cup squad, how many players have caused controversy prior to competitions and still been picked? if he was to consider maturity when picking the squad then rooney, ash cole and john terry, amongst others, would never have gone to any tournament. oh by the way, I don't care who`s on the pitch when I appeal for a penalty, I look at who`s going to take it after the award. I suspect most if not all are the same. who, looking at say that handball at everton would not have appealed if SRL wasn't on the pitch? el caballo santos101

9:40pm Fri 10 Jan 14

the south coast is ours says...

lets hope with all this rain, we dont get more fish in the itchen, or our skate friends will spend more time here trying to watch us instead of that blue crap that plays in that mud bath they got a cheek to call a stadium. (unless its a better class of fish there after) .
lets hope with all this rain, we dont get more fish in the itchen, or our skate friends will spend more time here trying to watch us instead of that blue crap that plays in that mud bath they got a cheek to call a stadium. (unless its a better class of fish there after) . the south coast is ours

9:51pm Fri 10 Jan 14

issacchunt says...

lowemustgo wrote:
What would Jesus do? :)))))
What would scooby doo more like?
[quote][p][bold]lowemustgo[/bold] wrote: What would Jesus do? :)))))[/p][/quote]What would scooby doo more like? issacchunt

10:15pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Burt HInkler says...

You have to feel sorry for Adam being used by Cortese via a scumbag pr consultant called david bick of square 1 consulting.
You have to feel sorry for Adam being used by Cortese via a scumbag pr consultant called david bick of square 1 consulting. Burt HInkler

11:09pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Marina Morris says...

Seriously though ... diddums! I have a soft spot for Saints but they really are a laughing stock after this!
Seriously though ... diddums! I have a soft spot for Saints but they really are a laughing stock after this! Marina Morris

11:32pm Fri 10 Jan 14

brighton saint says...

Marina Morris wrote:
Seriously though ... diddums! I have a soft spot for Saints but they really are a laughing stock after this!
Don't need you having a so called soft spot just jog on with the skates ..enjoy to the max !!!
[quote][p][bold]Marina Morris[/bold] wrote: Seriously though ... diddums! I have a soft spot for Saints but they really are a laughing stock after this![/p][/quote]Don't need you having a so called soft spot just jog on with the skates ..enjoy to the max !!! brighton saint

12:47am Sat 11 Jan 14

sasmike says...

bigfella777 wrote:
Hopefully Davis can go back to bed for the rest of the season and get his head down now Boruc is back.
big twot 777 would be better 4 u
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: Hopefully Davis can go back to bed for the rest of the season and get his head down now Boruc is back.[/p][/quote]big twot 777 would be better 4 u sasmike

1:05pm Sat 11 Jan 14

warrens 76 says...

lowemustgo wrote:
What would Jesus do? :)))))
I would ban Mufco. citeh, chelski, arse..etc from buying the league..
[quote][p][bold]lowemustgo[/bold] wrote: What would Jesus do? :)))))[/p][/quote]I would ban Mufco. citeh, chelski, arse..etc from buying the league.. warrens 76

11:55pm Sat 11 Jan 14

lovegrove65 says...

Confucious wrote:
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
Confucious wrote:
Is there an official organisation to which I can write to lodge a complaint about regular abusive language I receive from my missus?
Try Paris Smith!
I did, but they said she was entitled to say "You weren't like this before we got married" when I admitted that I didn't blow off at the dinner table before we got married.
You poor sod!.how is Mrs clattenburk?
[quote][p][bold]Confucious[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Confucious[/bold] wrote: Is there an official organisation to which I can write to lodge a complaint about regular abusive language I receive from my missus?[/p][/quote]Try Paris Smith![/p][/quote]I did, but they said she was entitled to say "You weren't like this before we got married" when I admitted that I didn't blow off at the dinner table before we got married.[/p][/quote]You poor sod!.how is Mrs clattenburk? lovegrove65

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree