When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Poch staying at Saints
4:00pm Thursday 16th January 2014 in Sport
Mauricio Pochettino has confirmed he is continuing as Saints manager.
Pochettino met Katharina Liebherr for five minutes before facing the press at St Mary’s this afternoon and told the new non-executive chairman that he intended to remain in his role.
The manager reported that he was told he has her full support.
Though Pochettino was sketchy on any details after such a short face-to-face meeting, and didn’t confirm how long he would remain as Saints boss, at times stating the situation could be reassessed in the summer, he said he felt he had a responsibility to continue.
He also praised Nicola Cortese, who resigned yesterday as the club’s executive chairman, and insisted he had spoken with him about his decision.
He said: "I spoke to her five mintues before this press conference and she transmitted to me her full trust and the people working for this football club."
He added: "Eight months ago when we were speaking about this we were finishing my first season and I said if he left there would be no sense in me staying. This situation is completely different. We are in the middle of this project.
"Nicola knows my decision to stay. I have spoken to him about it. It shows I am committed."
- Pochettino to stay at Saints - live coverage
- Pochettino looks set to stay
- All about Katharina Liebherr
- Will Poch be next to leave?
- Chairman's resignation shows all is not well
- Turmoil is flashback to dark days
- What's the next twist in Saints saga
- We need unity now - Le Tiss
- Katharina will do what's best for Saints says FA Cup legend
- Poch would be 'stupid' to leave Saints
- Ex-Saint fears player exodus
- Saints must learn from Cortese
Comments are closed on this article.