England squad could be a record-breaker for Saints

Daily Echo: LUKE SHAW LUKE SHAW

Roy Hodgson is preparing to name a potentially record breaking England squad.

The Three Lions boss could tomorrow include FOUR Saints players in a senior England squad for the first time in the club’s history.

Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Jay Rodriguez have won England caps under Hodgson and could be joined for next week’s friendly against Denmark by teenage left back Luke Shaw.

If the four do get named, it will mean a remarkable NINE Saints players are likely to depart on England duty after this weekend’s game at Liverpool.

James Ward-Prowse is almost certain to get the nod for the England under-21s – he scored in a 9-0 rout of San Marino in the last game in November – while Sam Gallagher, Harrison Reed, Calum Chambers and Matt Targett will be with the under-19s.

The major focus will be on Hodgson’s senior squad, though, as players get one last chance to prove themselves ahead of the World Cup squad being announced.

The squad Hodgson names tomorrow is expected to number at least 30 as he takes the opportunity to look at players at close quarters in training as well as in the Denmark game at Wembley a week tonight.

Hodgson recently admitted he has been keeping a close eye on Shaw’s progress, along with his Saints team-mates Nathaniel Clyne and Chambers.

He admitted that, of the three, Shaw stands the best chance.

“You will have to wait and see (whether any of the three are picked for Denmark),” Hodgson said.

“I think of the three the obvious one who has been playing last season and has been in the team non-stop since the start of this season is Shaw.

“Clyne hasn’t played all the games and Chambers is an under-18 international.”

After next week’s Denmark game, the next England squad to be announced will be the 23 players pencilled in to go to the World Cup in Brazil and seven standbys.

The Three Lions will train in Portugal’s warm weather for five days in mid-May before seven players are cut from contention when England return to Wembley to play Peru in a friendly.

Once the 23-man squad is finalised, England fly to Miami for warm-up friendlies against Ecuador and Honduras before facing Dani Osvaldo’s Italy in their first World Cup group game on June 14.

“We will definitely take 30 players when we go to Portugal and we’ll keep those players until we play the friendly with Peru," said Hodgson.

“But (before Portugal) I’ll name the 23 and then name the seven who, at that moment, are not going to be in the final 23.

“In that way I put my cards on the table a bit earlier than I need to.

“We’re taking 30 players with us but several will know that, in my thinking, they’ve got to go there as standby players.”

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:37am Wed 26 Feb 14

Velleity says...

We are Southampton,
We're off to Brazil!

I won't be happy until we're providing the whole England squad.
We are Southampton, We're off to Brazil! I won't be happy until we're providing the whole England squad. Velleity
  • Score: 33

7:13am Wed 26 Feb 14

Bwana23 says...

Not bad especially when you remember that 3 of the 4 were with us in Div 1!!! That seems so long ago now though!!
Not bad especially when you remember that 3 of the 4 were with us in Div 1!!! That seems so long ago now though!! Bwana23
  • Score: 35

7:14am Wed 26 Feb 14

justaSaintsfan says...

There is still a long way to go yet until the end of the Premier League season, so there are likely to be one or more already well established England players who will not be going to The World Cup this year.

Saints English players must therefore keep playing well for the rest of the season, as they still have every chance of getting on that flight to Brazil!

COYR!!!
There is still a long way to go yet until the end of the Premier League season, so there are likely to be one or more already well established England players who will not be going to The World Cup this year. Saints English players must therefore keep playing well for the rest of the season, as they still have every chance of getting on that flight to Brazil! COYR!!! justaSaintsfan
  • Score: 19

8:19am Wed 26 Feb 14

Little Hitler says...

I hope these are unfounded, but I have concerns that Rickie won't make this squad. I'm more hopeful about the other 3.

Fingers crossed.
I hope these are unfounded, but I have concerns that Rickie won't make this squad. I'm more hopeful about the other 3. Fingers crossed. Little Hitler
  • Score: 2

8:54am Wed 26 Feb 14

mickey01 says...

poch will only let em play till the qtr finals in brazil then he will want em rested for next season the way he thinks
poch will only let em play till the qtr finals in brazil then he will want em rested for next season the way he thinks mickey01
  • Score: -27

9:49am Wed 26 Feb 14

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...

A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.
A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this. Seedhouse the Unrepentant
  • Score: 9

10:36am Wed 26 Feb 14

el caballo santos101 says...

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.
agree that we need to keep clyne.

but whats even worse with roys comments is that he said at the same time that he wasn't concerned that cole wasn't playing every game for chelski, `we know what he can do`. well surely if you've had clyne watched you know what he can to as well roy. unless of course your saying that you know what cole can do with England, which is the same as all the others who have played for England for years, and that's fail. lumpard isn't playing every game for chelski either, and that's because he cant play 2 games a week anymore, but don't worry roy I`m sure being in the extreme heat and humidity of brazil will work in lumpards favour and he will be able to play 2 games in 4 days for the extent of the cup!
[quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.[/p][/quote]agree that we need to keep clyne. but whats even worse with roys comments is that he said at the same time that he wasn't concerned that cole wasn't playing every game for chelski, `we know what he can do`. well surely if you've had clyne watched you know what he can to as well roy. unless of course your saying that you know what cole can do with England, which is the same as all the others who have played for England for years, and that's fail. lumpard isn't playing every game for chelski either, and that's because he cant play 2 games a week anymore, but don't worry roy I`m sure being in the extreme heat and humidity of brazil will work in lumpards favour and he will be able to play 2 games in 4 days for the extent of the cup! el caballo santos101
  • Score: 6

10:40am Wed 26 Feb 14

Jesus_02 says...

If Shaw is the most likely, then I dont think Clyne has an earthly. Shame because for me he is better than Chambers and Glen Johnson
If Shaw is the most likely, then I dont think Clyne has an earthly. Shame because for me he is better than Chambers and Glen Johnson Jesus_02
  • Score: 15

11:01am Wed 26 Feb 14

george chivers says...

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.
Exactly my thoughts, unless of course the plan is to sell Shaw and play Clyne at left back. And we must be aware if our players get picked in Brazil and play well they will attract bids from the top six clubs. And they will come back late from the WC and still need a break before the pre-season. So we really don't need to qualify for the Europa Cup next season. The season after next would be a far better time to qualify for a European tournament. We could end up with seven players in the WC finals. Good for them, not so good for us.

The summer will also be a busy time for us in the transfer market if we are to maintain and enhance the quality of the squad and get off to a decent start in August. So the manager, if he stays with us, will be under pressure the day after the season ends. Even more so if we qualify for the Europa Cup.
[quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.[/p][/quote]Exactly my thoughts, unless of course the plan is to sell Shaw and play Clyne at left back. And we must be aware if our players get picked in Brazil and play well they will attract bids from the top six clubs. And they will come back late from the WC and still need a break before the pre-season. So we really don't need to qualify for the Europa Cup next season. The season after next would be a far better time to qualify for a European tournament. We could end up with seven players in the WC finals. Good for them, not so good for us. The summer will also be a busy time for us in the transfer market if we are to maintain and enhance the quality of the squad and get off to a decent start in August. So the manager, if he stays with us, will be under pressure the day after the season ends. Even more so if we qualify for the Europa Cup. george chivers
  • Score: 6

11:55am Wed 26 Feb 14

mack chinnon says...

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.
Cheer up.
[quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.[/p][/quote]Cheer up. mack chinnon
  • Score: 1

12:34pm Wed 26 Feb 14

notaclue says...

Sorry to be a bit negative about all this but Saints style of play is nothing like Englands style of play, I use the word 'style' loosely when connected with England.

You know the odd time in the past when Saints didn't press well up the pitch and just sit back and let the other team do more or less what they want in possession, thats England and I don't think Saints players are right for Hodgson's tactics, I don't think our Saints players will shine under him and that's a great pity.
Sorry to be a bit negative about all this but Saints style of play is nothing like Englands style of play, I use the word 'style' loosely when connected with England. You know the odd time in the past when Saints didn't press well up the pitch and just sit back and let the other team do more or less what they want in possession, thats England and I don't think Saints players are right for Hodgson's tactics, I don't think our Saints players will shine under him and that's a great pity. notaclue
  • Score: 6

1:04pm Wed 26 Feb 14

killared says...

@notaclue

I'm happy with the lads going to Brazil but you are so right !. England are not good enough I' mean not long ago we lost against Germany B team many of them won't go to Brazil and we lost against Chile at home and they teach us a lesson in Wembley. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for them to go but when they come back and face the music here in the UK because they fail which will happen I think that might affect them mentally !. So I'm thinking should our players go or stay and be ready for next season and maybe aiming Europa League or Champions league
@notaclue I'm happy with the lads going to Brazil but you are so right !. England are not good enough I' mean not long ago we lost against Germany B team many of them won't go to Brazil and we lost against Chile at home and they teach us a lesson in Wembley. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for them to go but when they come back and face the music here in the UK because they fail which will happen I think that might affect them mentally !. So I'm thinking should our players go or stay and be ready for next season and maybe aiming Europa League or Champions league killared
  • Score: 2

1:06pm Wed 26 Feb 14

notaclue says...

mack chinnon wrote:
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.
Cheer up.
I think at this stage Calum has more potential than Clyne but the fact they are fighting for the same position will make them both better players in the longrun.
[quote][p][bold]mack chinnon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.[/p][/quote]Cheer up.[/p][/quote]I think at this stage Calum has more potential than Clyne but the fact they are fighting for the same position will make them both better players in the longrun. notaclue
  • Score: 5

1:07pm Wed 26 Feb 14

notaclue says...

mack chinnon wrote:
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.
Cheer up.
I think at this stage Calum has more potential than Clyne but the fact they are fighting for the same position will make them both better players in the longrun.
[quote][p][bold]mack chinnon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.[/p][/quote]Cheer up.[/p][/quote]I think at this stage Calum has more potential than Clyne but the fact they are fighting for the same position will make them both better players in the longrun. notaclue
  • Score: 0

1:38pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Costa Baz says...

notaclue wrote:
mack chinnon wrote:
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.
Cheer up.
I think at this stage Calum has more potential than Clyne but the fact they are fighting for the same position will make them both better players in the longrun.
I think Clyne may still get included, simply because Johnson has just returned from injury and is at the age when niggly injuries can crop up with more frequency.

Having identified Shaw as a potential replacement for Cole, I think it is important for Roy to have a look at right back, as a potential replacement for Johnson.
[quote][p][bold]notaclue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mack chinnon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.[/p][/quote]Cheer up.[/p][/quote]I think at this stage Calum has more potential than Clyne but the fact they are fighting for the same position will make them both better players in the longrun.[/p][/quote]I think Clyne may still get included, simply because Johnson has just returned from injury and is at the age when niggly injuries can crop up with more frequency. Having identified Shaw as a potential replacement for Cole, I think it is important for Roy to have a look at right back, as a potential replacement for Johnson. Costa Baz
  • Score: 8

2:06pm Wed 26 Feb 14

SaintJD says...

notaclue wrote:
Sorry to be a bit negative about all this but Saints style of play is nothing like Englands style of play, I use the word 'style' loosely when connected with England.

You know the odd time in the past when Saints didn't press well up the pitch and just sit back and let the other team do more or less what they want in possession, thats England and I don't think Saints players are right for Hodgson's tactics, I don't think our Saints players will shine under him and that's a great pity.
I take your point, but I've seen loads of fans of Chelsea, Man Utd, etc saying the same thing on BBC forums and it's annoyed me a bit to be honest.

On the one hand they are moaning that we don't have any quality players like Uruguay and then they are saying that Saints players can't fit into the England style because we, effectively, play better football than England.

While I accept that Adam must have been slightly disappointed that the pressing side of his game wasn't as effective for England because others don't do it, I still think that he, J-Rod, Shaw and potentially Rickie and Jack, can argue to be better players than their alternatives in any style of football.

Rickie can add nouse and spray the ball around, especially if he has the extra space of international football, Adam is, in my opinion, looking a better option than Wilshere without the hype, Shaw is a better back-up option than Cole, and J-Rod might not be fully ready for the step up, but he has the same attributes of pace as Welbeck (decent skill, pace, a handful but will miss the odd chance) while playing a lot more for his club.

And as for the amount of multi-purpose players that Roy will undoubtably take with him: Smalling, Jones and Milner are, yes, adaptable, but they are also pretty average at everything. Smalling was dire last night.

Cork is as good a holding midfielder as England have. In my opinion the future for England should be to have a spine of SaInts players who can lead the others into playing our style of football. Won't happen under old school Roy, but it should.

Out of interest - if Man Utd don't play in Europe next season does it mean that their average reserve team players (Welbeck, Cleverley, Smalling etc) no longer get England preference over Saints players?
[quote][p][bold]notaclue[/bold] wrote: Sorry to be a bit negative about all this but Saints style of play is nothing like Englands style of play, I use the word 'style' loosely when connected with England. You know the odd time in the past when Saints didn't press well up the pitch and just sit back and let the other team do more or less what they want in possession, thats England and I don't think Saints players are right for Hodgson's tactics, I don't think our Saints players will shine under him and that's a great pity.[/p][/quote]I take your point, but I've seen loads of fans of Chelsea, Man Utd, etc saying the same thing on BBC forums and it's annoyed me a bit to be honest. On the one hand they are moaning that we don't have any quality players like Uruguay and then they are saying that Saints players can't fit into the England style because we, effectively, play better football than England. While I accept that Adam must have been slightly disappointed that the pressing side of his game wasn't as effective for England because others don't do it, I still think that he, J-Rod, Shaw and potentially Rickie and Jack, can argue to be better players than their alternatives in any style of football. Rickie can add nouse and spray the ball around, especially if he has the extra space of international football, Adam is, in my opinion, looking a better option than Wilshere without the hype, Shaw is a better back-up option than Cole, and J-Rod might not be fully ready for the step up, but he has the same attributes of pace as Welbeck (decent skill, pace, a handful but will miss the odd chance) while playing a lot more for his club. And as for the amount of multi-purpose players that Roy will undoubtably take with him: Smalling, Jones and Milner are, yes, adaptable, but they are also pretty average at everything. Smalling was dire last night. Cork is as good a holding midfielder as England have. In my opinion the future for England should be to have a spine of SaInts players who can lead the others into playing our style of football. Won't happen under old school Roy, but it should. Out of interest - if Man Utd don't play in Europe next season does it mean that their average reserve team players (Welbeck, Cleverley, Smalling etc) no longer get England preference over Saints players? SaintJD
  • Score: 8

2:10pm Wed 26 Feb 14

SaintJD says...

Costa Baz wrote:
notaclue wrote:
mack chinnon wrote:
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.
Cheer up.
I think at this stage Calum has more potential than Clyne but the fact they are fighting for the same position will make them both better players in the longrun.
I think Clyne may still get included, simply because Johnson has just returned from injury and is at the age when niggly injuries can crop up with more frequency.

Having identified Shaw as a potential replacement for Cole, I think it is important for Roy to have a look at right back, as a potential replacement for Johnson.
I'd like to think so, but I don't think he will. Unfortunately he'll still feel Walker is the deputy, with Jones being picked because he can fill several roles (equally badly). Shouldn't be so, but in any sane world Johnson wouldn't be our first choice right back anyway - Liverpool have a dire defensive record whether he's injured or not, and he usually is. I hope that's not the case though.
[quote][p][bold]Costa Baz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notaclue[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mack chinnon[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.[/p][/quote]Cheer up.[/p][/quote]I think at this stage Calum has more potential than Clyne but the fact they are fighting for the same position will make them both better players in the longrun.[/p][/quote]I think Clyne may still get included, simply because Johnson has just returned from injury and is at the age when niggly injuries can crop up with more frequency. Having identified Shaw as a potential replacement for Cole, I think it is important for Roy to have a look at right back, as a potential replacement for Johnson.[/p][/quote]I'd like to think so, but I don't think he will. Unfortunately he'll still feel Walker is the deputy, with Jones being picked because he can fill several roles (equally badly). Shouldn't be so, but in any sane world Johnson wouldn't be our first choice right back anyway - Liverpool have a dire defensive record whether he's injured or not, and he usually is. I hope that's not the case though. SaintJD
  • Score: 6

3:07pm Wed 26 Feb 14

lowe esteem says...

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.
Was a game changer versus Fulham-that in the literal sense too-but think Roy was looking the other way?
[quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.[/p][/quote]Was a game changer versus Fulham-that in the literal sense too-but think Roy was looking the other way? lowe esteem
  • Score: 2

3:50pm Wed 26 Feb 14

damoose says...

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.

---
Unhappiest player at the club right now....considering he turned down Man u to join Saints and he`s better than K.Walker and Chambers
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this. --- Unhappiest player at the club right now....considering he turned down Man u to join Saints and he`s better than K.Walker and Chambers damoose
  • Score: 4

4:39pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Jan28th1984 says...

Poch the next England manager?

That would be ironic.....
Poch the next England manager? That would be ironic..... Jan28th1984
  • Score: 3

5:22pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Redrobbo says...

damoose wrote:
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.

---
Unhappiest player at the club right now....considering he turned down Man u to join Saints and he`s better than K.Walker and Chambers
All a matter of opinion, I think Chambers is a better footballer than Clyne and will end up like Bale playing further forward. I also think currently he is a better fullback, he sits far tighter on opponents wide players giving them far less opportunity to turn and get crosses in. That said I never have any issues when Clyne is selected and would agree that he is better than Johnson and Walker., but so is young Calum. We are blessed with three exceptional full backs at the club.The idea of taking Smalling and Jones to the World Cup because they can play several positions is flawed. With a squad of 23 it should be possible to pick players who are specialists in their position and still have cover for injuries and to change the shape and tactics of the team.
[quote][p][bold]damoose[/bold] wrote: Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this. --- Unhappiest player at the club right now....considering he turned down Man u to join Saints and he`s better than K.Walker and Chambers[/p][/quote]All a matter of opinion, I think Chambers is a better footballer than Clyne and will end up like Bale playing further forward. I also think currently he is a better fullback, he sits far tighter on opponents wide players giving them far less opportunity to turn and get crosses in. That said I never have any issues when Clyne is selected and would agree that he is better than Johnson and Walker., but so is young Calum. We are blessed with three exceptional full backs at the club.The idea of taking Smalling and Jones to the World Cup because they can play several positions is flawed. With a squad of 23 it should be possible to pick players who are specialists in their position and still have cover for injuries and to change the shape and tactics of the team. Redrobbo
  • Score: 2

5:46pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Costa Baz says...

Redrobbo wrote:
damoose wrote: Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this. --- Unhappiest player at the club right now....considering he turned down Man u to join Saints and he`s better than K.Walker and Chambers
All a matter of opinion, I think Chambers is a better footballer than Clyne and will end up like Bale playing further forward. I also think currently he is a better fullback, he sits far tighter on opponents wide players giving them far less opportunity to turn and get crosses in. That said I never have any issues when Clyne is selected and would agree that he is better than Johnson and Walker., but so is young Calum. We are blessed with three exceptional full backs at the club.The idea of taking Smalling and Jones to the World Cup because they can play several positions is flawed. With a squad of 23 it should be possible to pick players who are specialists in their position and still have cover for injuries and to change the shape and tactics of the team.
Not sure if Chambers will end up playing further forward, as he has been converted from a midfield player to a full back.

Having said that, I sometimes wonder, when we are struggling to make an impact against some teams, if Chambers and Clyne would make a good right flank combination, with Chambers playing ahead of Clyne.
[quote][p][bold]Redrobbo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]damoose[/bold] wrote: Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this. --- Unhappiest player at the club right now....considering he turned down Man u to join Saints and he`s better than K.Walker and Chambers[/p][/quote]All a matter of opinion, I think Chambers is a better footballer than Clyne and will end up like Bale playing further forward. I also think currently he is a better fullback, he sits far tighter on opponents wide players giving them far less opportunity to turn and get crosses in. That said I never have any issues when Clyne is selected and would agree that he is better than Johnson and Walker., but so is young Calum. We are blessed with three exceptional full backs at the club.The idea of taking Smalling and Jones to the World Cup because they can play several positions is flawed. With a squad of 23 it should be possible to pick players who are specialists in their position and still have cover for injuries and to change the shape and tactics of the team.[/p][/quote]Not sure if Chambers will end up playing further forward, as he has been converted from a midfield player to a full back. Having said that, I sometimes wonder, when we are struggling to make an impact against some teams, if Chambers and Clyne would make a good right flank combination, with Chambers playing ahead of Clyne. Costa Baz
  • Score: 7

6:32pm Wed 26 Feb 14

David Crook says...

Costa Baz wrote:
Redrobbo wrote:
damoose wrote: Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this. --- Unhappiest player at the club right now....considering he turned down Man u to join Saints and he`s better than K.Walker and Chambers
All a matter of opinion, I think Chambers is a better footballer than Clyne and will end up like Bale playing further forward. I also think currently he is a better fullback, he sits far tighter on opponents wide players giving them far less opportunity to turn and get crosses in. That said I never have any issues when Clyne is selected and would agree that he is better than Johnson and Walker., but so is young Calum. We are blessed with three exceptional full backs at the club.The idea of taking Smalling and Jones to the World Cup because they can play several positions is flawed. With a squad of 23 it should be possible to pick players who are specialists in their position and still have cover for injuries and to change the shape and tactics of the team.
Not sure if Chambers will end up playing further forward, as he has been converted from a midfield player to a full back.

Having said that, I sometimes wonder, when we are struggling to make an impact against some teams, if Chambers and Clyne would make a good right flank combination, with Chambers playing ahead of Clyne.
I think we are a better side with Clyne in the team,he would be my first choice every time,he is far more experienced than Chambers,in time Chambers will be a great player,but not now.
[quote][p][bold]Costa Baz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Redrobbo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]damoose[/bold] wrote: Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this. --- Unhappiest player at the club right now....considering he turned down Man u to join Saints and he`s better than K.Walker and Chambers[/p][/quote]All a matter of opinion, I think Chambers is a better footballer than Clyne and will end up like Bale playing further forward. I also think currently he is a better fullback, he sits far tighter on opponents wide players giving them far less opportunity to turn and get crosses in. That said I never have any issues when Clyne is selected and would agree that he is better than Johnson and Walker., but so is young Calum. We are blessed with three exceptional full backs at the club.The idea of taking Smalling and Jones to the World Cup because they can play several positions is flawed. With a squad of 23 it should be possible to pick players who are specialists in their position and still have cover for injuries and to change the shape and tactics of the team.[/p][/quote]Not sure if Chambers will end up playing further forward, as he has been converted from a midfield player to a full back. Having said that, I sometimes wonder, when we are struggling to make an impact against some teams, if Chambers and Clyne would make a good right flank combination, with Chambers playing ahead of Clyne.[/p][/quote]I think we are a better side with Clyne in the team,he would be my first choice every time,he is far more experienced than Chambers,in time Chambers will be a great player,but not now. David Crook
  • Score: 11

6:41pm Wed 26 Feb 14

David Crook says...

Jan28th1984 wrote:
Poch the next England manager?

That would be ironic.....
I think you could be right,looking at poch recently I think he will be away from Saints in the summer.
[quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: Poch the next England manager? That would be ironic.....[/p][/quote]I think you could be right,looking at poch recently I think he will be away from Saints in the summer. David Crook
  • Score: 6

6:47pm Wed 26 Feb 14

FindAndDestroy says...

Jan28th1984 wrote:
Poch the next England manager?

That would be ironic.....
Well I wouldnt rule that out...if he stays we us for few more years and he is successful I wouldnt be surprised to see that happens....

and I can tell you very few people will oppose his nomination....


His ideas of promoting young English talents and football philosophy have merit.....
something our own English managers arent keen on doing....

.
[quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: Poch the next England manager? That would be ironic.....[/p][/quote]Well I wouldnt rule that out...if he stays we us for few more years and he is successful I wouldnt be surprised to see that happens.... and I can tell you very few people will oppose his nomination.... His ideas of promoting young English talents and football philosophy have merit..... something our own English managers arent keen on doing.... . FindAndDestroy
  • Score: 8

6:55pm Wed 26 Feb 14

David Crook says...

My message to Pochettino,play Clyne against Liverpool on Saturday please.
My message to Pochettino,play Clyne against Liverpool on Saturday please. David Crook
  • Score: 9

7:01pm Wed 26 Feb 14

FindAndDestroy says...

David Crook wrote:
My message to Pochettino,play Clyne against Liverpool on Saturday please.
I agree..
I would like to see the same squad that beat Liverpool last time around... and give Clyne a chance to earn England call...
[quote][p][bold]David Crook[/bold] wrote: My message to Pochettino,play Clyne against Liverpool on Saturday please.[/p][/quote]I agree.. I would like to see the same squad that beat Liverpool last time around... and give Clyne a chance to earn England call... FindAndDestroy
  • Score: 8

7:18pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Baddesley Bill says...

It's beginning to look like Luke might get his chance now.

Potentially four Saints in the running for Brasil.

When we were all calling for Rickie's call up 2 season's back, did we really think it would get this good so quickly?

COYR
It's beginning to look like Luke might get his chance now. Potentially four Saints in the running for Brasil. When we were all calling for Rickie's call up 2 season's back, did we really think it would get this good so quickly? COYR Baddesley Bill
  • Score: -5

8:42pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Clever Dick says...

damoose wrote:
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.

---
Unhappiest player at the club right now....considering he turned down Man u to join Saints and he`s better than K.Walker and Chambers
Well if Nat Clyne is never far from Woy's thoughts and he is being kept out of the side by Callum Chambers is it not a logical conclusion that Callum should be even more in his thoughts?
[quote][p][bold]damoose[/bold] wrote: Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this. --- Unhappiest player at the club right now....considering he turned down Man u to join Saints and he`s better than K.Walker and Chambers[/p][/quote]Well if Nat Clyne is never far from Woy's thoughts and he is being kept out of the side by Callum Chambers is it not a logical conclusion that Callum should be even more in his thoughts? Clever Dick
  • Score: -5

8:42pm Wed 26 Feb 14

north wales saint 2 says...

David Crook wrote:
My message to Pochettino,play Clyne against Liverpool on Saturday please.
matter of opinion,I prefer chambers,now that Lovren is fit would you say Maya should lose his place after playing well since given game time.Am glad it,s Mo Po,s decision I am sure he will make the right choice for our team.
[quote][p][bold]David Crook[/bold] wrote: My message to Pochettino,play Clyne against Liverpool on Saturday please.[/p][/quote]matter of opinion,I prefer chambers,now that Lovren is fit would you say Maya should lose his place after playing well since given game time.Am glad it,s Mo Po,s decision I am sure he will make the right choice for our team. north wales saint 2
  • Score: -1

9:56pm Wed 26 Feb 14

Baybrit says...

It seems very appropriate that so many Saints will be going to Brazil to represent England since Charles Miller, 'the father of Brazilian football' learned the game while in Southampton.
It seems very appropriate that so many Saints will be going to Brazil to represent England since Charles Miller, 'the father of Brazilian football' learned the game while in Southampton. Baybrit
  • Score: 3

1:42pm Fri 28 Feb 14

PompeySaves says...

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.
YOU'RE GONNA LOSE THEM ALL YOU FOOL
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
[quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: A few weeks ago Roy said about Clyne 'he is never far from our thoughts' now he is pointing out he isn't playing all the games implying that has cost him a call up. I do hope we don't lose Clyne as a result of this.[/p][/quote]YOU'RE GONNA LOSE THEM ALL YOU FOOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA PompeySaves
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree